Hampsterdance Discussion Board

Pika!

My dad was on a buisness trip in Canada somewhere, And he called back telling me to look up online a rodent creature called a Pika. I figured this was going to look somewhat like a Pikachu, But no...

Pika's are a... i think a newly discovered animal in Canada and Asia. In Canada, Their natural habitat is in rocky slopes, mountains, or just... rocky terrains. Their related to Rabbits and Hares, But they look like... kind of malformed guinea pigs. THey live underneath rocks, herbavors, they live off vegetation of every kind, They even have immunities to toxic plants so they eat that too. Anything green that grows near their homes, they pick, carry it back to a food storage in their home, And use that for food storage while they do NOT hibernate for unknown reasons. Their predators are usually Coyotes and Weasels.

The Pika's act somewhat like prarie dogs, One stands watch for any pradators comng, If they see something, They stand up and start screaming a tune to signify theres someone coming, And the other Pika's burrow underground, under a rock, or just somehow hide.

Not until the invader is within 3 feet does the watch-pika make a break for it, (or just... close) ANd while it runs like theres no tomorrow, Its still calling to the other Pika's, Apparently not concerned with giving away their position.

Pika's are close to extinction, already. Phooey. ._.

I found a picture or two of one, i'll try to upload it...

My dad was on a buisness trip in Canada somewhere, And he called back telling me to look up online a rodent creature called a Pika. I figured this was going to look somewhat like a Pikachu, But no...

Pika's are a... i think a newly discovered animal in Canada and Asia. In Canada, Their natural habitat is in rocky slopes, mountains, or just... rocky terrains. Their related to Rabbits and Hares, But they look like... kind of malformed guinea pigs. THey live underneath rocks, herbavors, they live off vegetation of every kind, They even have immunities to toxic plants so they eat that too. Anything green that grows near their homes, they pick, carry it back to a food storage in their home, And use that for food storage while they do NOT hibernate for unknown reasons. Their predators are usually Coyotes and Weasels.

The Pika's act somewhat like prarie dogs, One stands watch for any pradators comng, If they see something, They stand up and start screaming a tune to signify theres someone coming, And the other Pika's burrow underground, under a rock, or just somehow hide.

Not until the invader is within 3 feet does the watch-pika make a break for it, (or just... close) ANd while it runs like theres no tomorrow, Its still calling to the other Pika's, Apparently not concerned with giving away their position.

Pika's are close to extinction, already. Phooey. ._.

I found a picture or two of one, i'll try to upload it...

Please do. When I was in one of the national parks, I believe north of Calgary a couple of hours driving distance, I do believe I might have seen such an animal. Would you know if they were in that area? I am so sorry to hear that they are close to extinction, so I am guessing that it was not a Pika I saw. :(