Hampsterdance Discussion Board

HAPPY PASSOVER AND HAPPY EASTER!!!

Horatio

• 1 month later...

LOL!!!  Yes, it was festive.  It was hard finding an only paper product.  I wanted to make sure that there was no plastic of any kind in the bags.  

Haku, our new rescue, is living on plain brown.  Today I found some green paper, so perhaps tomorrow, I will give him a little bit of green.

• 3 weeks later...

That is a terrific question.  I have no idea.  I wonder if there is any method to test this.  Haku loves peppers, perhaps I should attempt a red, green and orange pepper test.  The problem is if they have a slightly different smell, then I will not be able to tell if it is the colour, or the smell.  This will be a fun test.

I wonder if there would be a way to use the same kind of pepper but change the color with a food dye or something? Though I'm not sure if food dye is safe for hamsters...

I have been thinking about this.  Yes, I agree, I would not want to give Haku any kind of food dye.  But, I think I have found an idea.  Get eight different colours of the same type of fabric.  Cut little squares and insert the same nuts or seeds in them.  Haku loves Pine Nuts, so I would use those.  His first option would be to smell them and try to reach the contents.  But, what if the green one never had any nuts, but the smell was there.  You could do something such as the red one has five Pine Nuts, the blue one always has only one nut, or something along those lines.  And when you presented them, you always mixed up the way the colours were presented.  You could see if he always went to the red one first and avoided the green one.  

Any thoughts on an experiment such as this?

• 1 month later...

That sounds like a pretty sound way to test it out! See if you can 'train' him to identify which little sack has the most nuts in it by color. you could even eventually do something like offer him only the green one and see if he reacts at all, to see if he has realized that the green one never has nuts in it.

Haku is such an interesting hamster with his own personality.  There are days when he grabs one of his favourite treats and other days when he acts like he does not like the same treat.  The one treat that he always loves, are pine nuts.  We are using the pine nuts to do the colour experiment.  I will keep you posted on this.