Hampsterdance Discussion Board

Band Geekage Time

Alright, so, not so much band geekage, but general music geeking.

Rant about anything instrument related.

Few things:

I'm a brass player, so I don't get it, what makes Rico reeds worse than other types? Everyone in my band wishes to burn them.

So, pretty much I play trumpet because it's awesome. And we get most of the solos, melodies, and other fun suchlike.

I seriously want a new trumpet, one I have is older than me and the other I have is about nine years old. Neither one is of great quality.

Few things:

I'm a brass player, so I don't get it, what makes Rico reeds worse than other types? Everyone in my band wishes to burn them.

So, pretty much I play trumpet because it's awesome. And we get most of the solos, melodies, and other fun suchlike.

I seriously want a new trumpet, one I have is older than me and the other I have is about nine years old. Neither one is of great quality.

Are new trumpets better? Or are you asking for a better quality trumpet? What makes a trumpet a good one? Are their certain distinguishing characteristics?

Two words:

MALLET PERCUSSION!!!!!!!!

(It's what I play. :rolleyes: Bells, specifically. Although I did play gong for "On the wings of swallows" on our band trip past june. that was awesome. )

I used to do snare drum 5th-8th grade, but in high school I switched to bells (which I had done in 4th grade) because there were too many drummers and not enough bell-ists. so now i'm stuck...lol

i play piano outsde of school.

that's all for now.

~Liz

Few things:

Are new trumpets better? Or are you asking for a better quality trumpet? What makes a trumpet a good one? Are their certain distinguishing characteristics?

Well, I'd like a better quality trumpet. lol. Both of mine are student models and not too pretty anymore. As I'm getting closer to being out of high school, I'm wanting a better trumpet. :D

There's certain characteristics of trumpets that make them better, I only know the difference by the ease of playing. XD

Also, there's different styles that some trumpets are more specific for.

Student trumpets tend to be rounded horns, intended for okay use for all styles.

My favorite so far is the Wild Thing. :D

It's pretty good in general, it's a fairly large trumpet. There's different tuning slides, it's a bit weird. The horn itself helps open up sound. My brother has one, it's great.

Few things:

Well, I'd like a better quality trumpet. lol. Both of mine are student models and not too pretty anymore. As I'm getting closer to being out of high school, I'm wanting a better trumpet. :D

There's certain characteristics of trumpets that make them better, I only know the difference by the ease of playing. XD

Also, there's different styles that some trumpets are more specific for.

Student trumpets tend to be rounded horns, intended for okay use for all styles.

My favorite so far is the Wild Thing. :D

It's pretty good in general, it's a fairly large trumpet. There's different tuning slides, it's a bit weird. The horn itself helps open up sound. My brother has one, it's great.

Thank you for the information. I had no idea. The Wild Thing... that sounds pretty interesting. Hope you get one.

Band concert tomorrow night.

We're probably not ready, but are we ever really?

One of the songs we're doing is a Nightmare Before Christmas medley.

Also Sleigh Ride, which we do every year.

And I don't know why I'm putting every sentence on a new line...

~Liz

~Liz

Your band will be better than ever. You just think you aren't ready. I bet the concert is a phenomenal success!!!

~Liz

Your band will be better than ever. You just think you aren't ready. I bet the concert is a phenomenal success!!!

Yeah, it went OK. But we didn't paly the Nightmare medley because apparently we weren't quite good enough at it yet....

My high b-flat key fell off which annoyed me for the whole concert.... :rolleyes: but I got by OK.

~Liz

~Liz

Yeah, it went OK. But we didn't paly the Nightmare medley because apparently we weren't quite good enough at it yet....

My high b-flat key fell off which annoyed me for the whole concert.... :rolleyes: but I got by OK.

~Liz

Oh, I hate when you miss a note or phrase... I always try and put if behind me, but it doesn't always work.

~Liz

~Liz

Oh, I hate when you miss a note or phrase... I always try and put if behind me, but it doesn't always work.

I was trying to stick it back on, but it wasn't really working, so I just had to place it where it was supposed to go, and hope it didn't move too much when I hit it. The sound wasn't great, but at least it was audible.(in reference to the one key, the rest sounded fine) Then my band teacher fixed it afterwards - apparently you have to take the little rubber bit off to put the key back on. :rolleyes: Oh well.

~Liz

~Liz

~Liz

I was trying to stick it back on, but it wasn't really working, so I just had to place it where it was supposed to go, and hope it didn't move too much when I hit it. The sound wasn't great, but at least it was audible.(in reference to the one key, the rest sounded fine) Then my band teacher fixed it afterwards - apparently you have to take the little rubber bit off to put the key back on. :rolleyes: Oh well.

~Liz

Only a band teacher would know that. :lol:

We have this rediculous music library with 75+ years of music collected and disorganized. So that's a bit of a pain.

There's also a few doubles because it's such a pain to go through the music that sometimes the band director of whatever moment in time doesn't realize that we already have the same music buried somewhere from however many years ago. lol.

We have this rediculous music library with 75+ years of music collected and disorganized. So that's a bit of a pain.

There's also a few doubles because it's such a pain to go through the music that sometimes the band director of whatever moment in time doesn't realize that we already have the same music buried somewhere from however many years ago. lol.

You think some parents would volunteer to organize the music library.

~Liz

~Liz

~Liz

Only a band teacher would know that. :lol:

Of course! I've only been playing it for three years (plus fourth grade so that makes four) how would I be expected to know that? LOL

~Liz

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, but of course it never happens. There are the parents that help that donate more than enough time and then there's a bunch of parents that don't help at all.

We've attempted to organize some, but it's not worked well. Perhaps a couple of the file cabinets are organized, but it's still hard to find things.

Yeah, but of course it never happens. There are the parents that help that donate more than enough time and then there's a bunch of parents that don't help at all.

We've attempted to organize some, but it's not worked well. Perhaps a couple of the file cabinets are organized, but it's still hard to find things.

You need me out there for a week. I would have it totally organized and catalogued.

• 2 weeks later...
lol that would be amazing. If I had the opportunity, I would do it. In fact, I do want to create a team to work on it during the summer.

Now that is a superbly stellar idea. Something that would look very, V-E-R-Y good on your college resume!!!

I say suggest the idea now and get a team rounded up prior to the end of the school year. This is the greatest idea yet!

lol that would be amazing. If I had the opportunity, I would do it. In fact, I do want to create a team to work on it during the summer.

Now that is a superbly stellar idea. Something that would look very, V-E-R-Y good on your college resume!!!

I say suggest the idea now and get a team rounded up prior to the end of the school year. This is the greatest idea yet!

I'll help. :rolleyes:

~Liz

I'll help. :rolleyes:

~Liz

So would I. We could all go out to Mega Wolf's house and help her. :lol: