Hampsterdance Discussion Board

What are you doing on the internet?

The Biggest Fan Of Fuzzy

First I go to dA, which is usually where I post Invision stuff before it goes here, then this place, then go watch stuff on YouTube. If I have extra time, I go check my e-mail, play Roblox, eBay, and if I get supremely bored, Wikipedia.

I also go to my website at random intervals.

I'm currently listening to Christmas music. :lol:

???

well its not unheard of

christmas in july....

im goin make a christmas in july topic :]

I was going to have a Christmas in July this saturday, but then the park I booked it for overbooked on the pavillion things, so they gave me my money back plus an additional twenty-five to not have it this Saturday.

???

well its not unheard of

christmas in july....

I was going to have a Christmas in July this saturday, but then the park I booked it for overbooked on the pavillion things, so they gave me my money back plus an additional twenty-five to not have it this Saturday.

woah, thats rad

i had a christmas in july themed birthday once

???

well its not unheard of

christmas in july....

woah, thats rad

i had a christmas in july themed birthday once

That's so awesome! I would do that too, but my birthday is in January. So I had a luau theme party instead.

looking up lyrics!!!

hes a real nowhere man

sitting in his nowhere land

making all his nowhere plans

for nobody

yay! *hugs you*

Beatles are...amazing and other words like that. :D

~Liz

I intarwebz tiem normally goes a little something like this:

Sign on AIM and MSN (sometimes Yahoo)

Email (including I Can Has Cheezburger and Facebook)

Youtube or Winamp for music

Various webcomics/blogs I read

Various messageboards

Read manga/stories/random whatevers that I can find

Only I'm a Kris's house for the week, so all I've been doing is checking HD and another board of mine.

1. Email

2. Elton John Forum

3. Hampsterdance

4. Anything else I might think of...

Yep, that's pretty much it... yet it manages to take up a lot of time! :P

~Liz

5. And Youtube too 'cuz I just set up an account... :)

~Liz

• 2 weeks later...
trying to pass time. :closedeyes:

If you like to waste lots of time, I suggest maplestory. But beware it doesn't eat your life. XD

it probably will.

im like sucked into the internet. i keep reading stuff about skinID since i just ordered it. that and stupid addicting 'social networkin sites that i must'n mention'

lololol censorship.

• 3 weeks later...
Watch Law and Order.

is that a command?

I looked up a recipe for homemade cinnamon rolls... then ate them all :X

and I checked my school email address, but the server still isnt up which is bad because the school keeps in touch with us via email!

Watch Law and Order.

is that a command?

I looked up a recipe for homemade cinnamon rolls... then ate them all :X

and I checked my school email address, but the server still isnt up which is bad because the school keeps in touch with us via email!

All the recipes? How did they taste?

• 4 weeks later...
trying to track down that video on youtube with the cows and the Blue Danube waltz

Now that should be hilarious. :D

On a not funny note... my absolute favourite video is the Budweiser advert that was aired for a tribute to those who lost their lives on Sept. 11th.

The horses touched your heart.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

On Facebook, chatting to friends, on Ninjavideo, looking at photos of Mika. :wub: And, yes, I do all these things at 4am.

On Facebook, chatting to friends, on Ninjavideo, looking at photos of Mika. :wub: And, yes, I do all these things at 4am.

Eagles aren't supposed to be nocturnal. Hamsters are though. :lol:

My prey is nocturnal, so I must be, too. :P I didn't get to sleep until 6 last night... BIG mistake, my body clock is now really messed up.

I'm debating on whether to stay up until Phil wakes up. :rolleyes: (he has to get up at 4:30am for his ballroom competition tomorrow)

I hope you stayed up. :lol:

Haha I did. :lol: We couldn't really talk much because he had to get himself dressed and out the door, but I know it made him smile. ^_^

Eagles aren't supposed to be nocturnal. Hamsters are though. :lol:

My prey is nocturnal, so I must be, too. :P I didn't get to sleep until 6 last night... BIG mistake, my body clock is now really messed up.

You had better not be preying on any of my relatives. :rolleyes:

I think you need to add more fish to your diet. :lol:

I'll only prey on the slow ones. :P

Fish is too hard to catch. I'm one of those eagles that miraculously manages to pick up entire sheep with my talons and fly off with them. I'll stick with cod liver oil.

Fish is too hard to catch. I'm one of those eagles that miraculously manages to pick up entire sheep with my talons and fly off with them. I'll stick with cod liver oil.

Sheep make a much better dinner. Rodents are like hors d'oeurves. You would have to work too hard to fill your stomach. :lol:

Sheep make a much better dinner. Rodents are like hors d'oeurves. You would have to work too hard to fill your stomach. :lol:

Not if I have one of those sushi bar conveyor belts. Then the mice will keep on coming! :lol:

Not if I have one of those sushi bar conveyor belts. Then the mice will keep on coming! :lol:

:lol: LOL :lol:

*hands LifesEagle The Double Gold Star Award*

You definitely earned an award for that thought.

Thank you! *holds with pride* Now I have a real craving for sushi... but it's 1am. Maybe I'll go chasing the neighbourhood cats.

Thank you! *holds with pride* Now I have a real craving for sushi... but it's 1am. Maybe I'll go chasing the neighbourhood cats.

Please capture all those felines before they terrorize any more of my relatives.

Please capture all those felines before they terrorize any more of my relatives.

You mean the PESTS? :P

• 4 weeks later...

LOL :lol: LOL

Pests? Never. I would consider spiders as pests. :lol:

Nooo, they're friendly! Though one of my flatmates hates them and a massive one has a web just above our flat door so I put a post-it on the door telling her to look up and she freaked out. :lol:

Nooo, they're friendly! Though one of my flatmates hates them and a massive one has a web just above our flat door so I put a post-it on the door telling her to look up and she freaked out. :lol:

Evil eagle!!!

I think you need to add more fish to your diet.

I'll only prey on the slow ones.

Evil eagle!!!

It's interesting that we're talking about spiders because my last 24 hours have been full of them. The story goes that yesterday I noticed that there were an awful lot of flies in our block's stairwell: and I mean a LOT of flies. Every time I opened my flat door they'd get into the flat hallway and eventually into the kitchen and I wasn't too keen on that (they were also the "non-flying" type that don't fly away if you bat your hand at them). So I went out, bought some fly spray and went up and down the stairs of my block spraying at them. Unfortunately, in doing this I noticed that I was agitating the spiders, and boy were there a lot of them. I didn't really want to harm them because they are clearly a GOOD thing in a block full of flies so I went back to my flat and helped put up some decorations/clean the ENTIRE kitchen on my own ( <_< ) and thought nothing more of it. Later on when myself and two of my flatmates were hanging out in the lounge, one of them started screaming. There was a HUGE black spider on our dark-coloured carpet, and I mean HUGE. It was really difficult to catch because the bulbs in the living room have gone and the carpet is so dark and the other two are too scared of spiders to help. Eventually we caught it and set it free outside but it took about half an hour. :wacko: I felt so guilty for disturbing the poor spiders.

On the plus side, our flat looks sufficiently festive... though we MAY have gone over the top. :lol:

post-1559-1228674852_thumb.jpg

post-1559-1228674863_thumb.jpg

Evil eagle!!!

It's interesting that we're talking about spiders because my last 24 hours have been full of them. The story goes that yesterday I noticed that there were an awful lot of flies in our block's stairwell: and I mean a LOT of flies. Every time I opened my flat door they'd get into the flat hallway and eventually into the kitchen and I wasn't too keen on that (they were also the "non-flying" type that don't fly away if you bat your hand at them). So I went out, bought some fly spray and went up and down the stairs of my block spraying at them. Unfortunately, in doing this I noticed that I was agitating the spiders, and boy were there a lot of them. I didn't really want to harm them because they are clearly a GOOD thing in a block full of flies so I went back to my flat and helped put up some decorations/clean the ENTIRE kitchen on my own ( <_ and thought nothing more of it. later on when myself two my flatmates were hanging out in the lounge one them started screaming. there was a huge black spider our dark-coloured carpet i mean huge. it really difficult to catch because bulbs living room have gone is so dark other are too scared spiders help. eventually we caught set free outside but took about half an hour. src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_wacko.png" alt=":wacko:"> I felt so guilty for disturbing the poor spiders.

On the plus side, our flat looks sufficiently festive... though we MAY have gone over the top. :lol:

I would have hated that a black HUGE spider was on the loose, I would have left rather rapidly!

Your flat looks terrific... no, you didn't go over the top.

Sheep make a much better dinner. Rodents are like hors d'oeurves. You would have to work too hard to fill your stomach.

Evil eagle!!!

It's interesting that we're talking about spiders because my last 24 hours have been full of them. The story goes that yesterday I noticed that there were an awful lot of flies in our block's stairwell: and I mean a LOT of flies. Every time I opened my flat door they'd get into the flat hallway and eventually into the kitchen and I wasn't too keen on that (they were also the "non-flying" type that don't fly away if you bat your hand at them). So I went out, bought some fly spray and went up and down the stairs of my block spraying at them. Unfortunately, in doing this I noticed that I was agitating the spiders, and boy were there a lot of them. I didn't really want to harm them because they are clearly a GOOD thing in a block full of flies so I went back to my flat and helped put up some decorations/clean the ENTIRE kitchen on my own ( <_< ) and thought nothing more of it. Later on when myself and two of my flatmates were hanging out in the lounge, one of them started screaming. There was a HUGE black spider on our dark-coloured carpet, and I mean HUGE. It was really difficult to catch because the bulbs in the living room have gone and the carpet is so dark and the other two are too scared of spiders to help. Eventually we caught it and set it free outside but it took about half an hour. :wacko: I felt so guilty for disturbing the poor spiders.

I would have hated that a black HUGE spider was on the loose, I would have left rather rapidly!

I had a dream the night after the spider incident that thre were spiders EVERYWHERE. :wacko: Annoying little things.

We did in the kitchen! It's a Christmas nightmare in there. Pictures coming soon.

Sheep make a much better dinner. Rodents are like hors d'oeurves. You would have to work too hard to fill your stomach.

Evil eagle!!!

It's interesting that we're talking about spiders because my last 24 hours have been full of them. The story goes that yesterday I noticed that there were an awful lot of flies in our block's stairwell: and I mean a LOT of flies. Every time I opened my flat door they'd get into the flat hallway and eventually into the kitchen and I wasn't too keen on that (they were also the "non-flying" type that don't fly away if you bat your hand at them). So I went out, bought some fly spray and went up and down the stairs of my block spraying at them. Unfortunately, in doing this I noticed that I was agitating the spiders, and boy were there a lot of them. I didn't really want to harm them because they are clearly a GOOD thing in a block full of flies so I went back to my flat and helped put up some decorations/clean the ENTIRE kitchen on my own ( <_ and thought nothing more of it. later on when myself two my flatmates were hanging out in the lounge one them started screaming. there was a huge black spider our dark-coloured carpet i mean huge. it really difficult to catch because bulbs living room have gone is so dark other are too scared spiders help. eventually we caught set free outside but took about half an hour. src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_wacko.png" alt=":wacko:"> I felt so guilty for disturbing the poor spiders.

I had a dream the night after the spider incident that thre were spiders EVERYWHERE. :wacko: Annoying little things.

We did in the kitchen! It's a Christmas nightmare in there. Pictures coming soon.

*waits for kitchen pictures*

I WANT TO SLEEP.

And a rolling eye smilie because everyone else is doing it. :rolleyes:

x2. :rolleyes:

Trying to manipulate my schedule for this month so I can be off more around Christmas. At the moment, Santa and I will be flying at midnight on Christmas morning.

Anyone who thinks Santa does not ask FedEx for help getting presents to people on Christmas ought to look at my schedule. :lol: We have lots and lots of airplanes flying at midnight on Christmas morning.

• 4 weeks later...

Bidding on a new Elvis purse on eBay. So far I'm the only bidder. Not half bad. ^_^

Bidding on a new Elvis purse on eBay. So far I'm the only bidder. Not half bad. ^_^

I work in the land of Elvis. Don't you really want one of those black velvet artistic portraits of the king himself, adorned with fake jewels, glitter and shiny colours?

I work in the land of Elvis. Don't you really want one of those black velvet artistic portraits of the king himself, adorned with fake jewels, glitter and shiny colours?

I have this. My best friend gave it to me for Christmas. :D

post-1559-1231702919_thumb.jpg

Oh my goodness... that picture is HUGE!!!!!!!! :lol:

I know, right? :rolleyes: I'm having a big problem finding somewhere to put it. As my mum said when she drove me up yesteday, "At least you have a handsome man in your room!"

I know, right? :rolleyes: I'm having a big problem finding somewhere to put it. As my mum said when she drove me up yesteday, "At least you have a handsome man in your room!"

:lol: Your mother has a great sense of humour!!! :lol:

Nah, she's just Brazilian and therefore THINKS she's funny. :rolleyes:

Do you speak Portuguese?

Do you speak Portuguese?

She never taught me, which my extended family thinks is a shame. I know a few phrases because my dad learnt Portuguese before they got married and sometimes they speak in "Portoocheese" as I call it (especially when arguing :unsure:). I might be going to do some charity work in Brazil this sumemr so I'll definately be learning some when I go out there!

Do you speak Portuguese?

She never taught me, which my extended family thinks is a shame. I know a few phrases because my dad learnt Portuguese before they got married and sometimes they speak in "Portoocheese" as I call it (especially when arguing :unsure:). I might be going to do some charity work in Brazil this sumemr so I'll definately be learning some when I go out there!

Go, go, go to Brazil!!!!!!!!

And I expect you to be fluent when you return!

As far as your father... see what love will get you to do? :lol:

Avoiding going outside. :unsure:

Me too!

It is Minus 18 here.

*ooooouuuuuuuwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeee*

I finally went out to the supermarket and had to carry all my really heavy shopping home. :wacko: Right now I can hear the wind whistling and it's raining like mad: I can barely see the university clock. But all the heaters are on and I'm watching The Office so I'm happy.

Do you speak Portuguese?

Go, go, go to Brazil!!!!!!!!

And I expect you to be fluent when you return!

As far as your father... see what love will get you to do? :lol:

Elton just performed in Brazil! :D (I wasn't there.)

~Liz

Streaming TV stuff. Must stop watching films and actually do some WORK...

Eek! Scary Horatio.

I am personally looking for something that isn't related to Obama because I am sick of him already.

Eek! Scary Horatio.

I am personally looking for something that isn't related to Obama because I am sick of him already.

You had better be scared! I'm watching you! :lol:

As far as President Obama is concerned, here is my question...

Race. When you have one parent who is African American and one parent who is Caucasian... which race are you?

Do you go by the colour of your skin? Do you select features, such as hair, face, etc. to make the determination? Do you pick the race that you feel will give you an edge? What I believe is that we need to put the entire race problem behind us and move on. Obama is one-half white. If his birth certificate says that he is a Caucasian, would this have changed history? He is still the 44th President of the U.S.A., but now he is just another white guy. During the race for the Presidency, Obama was all about "the people". There was no discussion about race. At the inauguration, it was all about race. Did he forget that his mother was white? How sad that our country can't move on. I think race ought to be removed from being a factor in life. We all ought to just be Americans.

Enough of my rant.

And by the way, I have no idea what race is on President Obama's birth certificate.

My vote for President went to the candidate who I felt could best lead the country.

Eek! Scary Horatio.

Race. When you have one parent who is African American and one parent who is Caucasian... which race are you?

Do you go by the colour of your skin? Do you select features, such as hair, face, etc. to make the determination? Do you pick the race that you feel will give you an edge? What I believe is that we need to put the entire race problem behind us and move on. Obama is one-half white. If his birth certificate says that he is a Caucasian, would this have changed history? He is still the 44th President of the U.S.A., but now he is just another white guy. During the race for the Presidency, Obama was all about "the people". There was no discussion about race. At the inauguration, it was all about race. Did he forget that his mother was white? How sad that our country can't move on. I think race ought to be removed from being a factor in life. We all ought to just be Americans.

Enough of my rant.

And by the way, I have no idea what race is on President Obama's birth certificate.

My vote for President went to the candidate who I felt could best lead the country.

THANK YOU. At last, someone has picked up on a point I've been talking about from the very beginning! As for "which race are you", after watching Australia and seeing the treatment of the so-called "creamy" children that were taken away from their families for being mixed-race it appears that you are in both camps and in neither camps. You don't have to be a genius to think of people who have been prejudiced for this in the past and in fiction. But as you say, in Obama's case, the race card has indeed been played BUT, to be fair on Obama, HE wasn't the one to play it, it was the media. Everyone over here kept on saying that "America really needs a black president right now", but DOES America need that? America needs a good leader regardless. I don't think Obama will improve standards for the black community in the USA as some people have suggested (and thus imply that the standard DOES need improving, which I don't think it does). If he does well then I will indeed admit that I was wrong. But I have lost faith in the American voter simply because America complains about this and that and then votes the opposite way.

But then again, I have no idea what I'm talking about. I cannot talk politics. :rolleyes:

Eek! Scary Horatio.

Enough of my rant.

THANK YOU. At last, someone has picked up on a point I've been talking about from the very beginning! As for "which race are you", after watching Australia and seeing the treatment of the so-called "creamy" children that were taken away from their families for being mixed-race it appears that you are in both camps and in neither camps. You don't have to be a genius to think of people who have been prejudiced for this in the past and in fiction. But as you say, in Obama's case, the race card has indeed been played BUT, to be fair on Obama, HE wasn't the one to play it, it was the media. Everyone over here kept on saying that "America really needs a black president right now", but DOES America need that? America needs a good leader regardless. I don't think Obama will improve standards for the black community in the USA as some people have suggested (and thus imply that the standard DOES need improving, which I don't think it does). If he does well then I will indeed admit that I was wrong. But I have lost faith in the American voter simply because America complains about this and that and then votes the opposite way.

But then again, I have no idea what I'm talking about. I cannot talk politics. :rolleyes:

You are very knowledgeable in politics! Where is TGHL when we need him? :lol:

What Obama has done for the African American community in becoming the President, is significant. There is more out there for a young black person, than becoming a sports star and Obama has succeeded in reaching the top!!!

Eek! Scary Horatio.

Enough of my rant.

What Obama has done for the African American community in becoming the President, is significant. There is more out there for a young black person, than becoming a sports star and Obama has succeeded in reaching the top!!!

That is true, but actively addressing the issue in that way again implies that there is a problem. It would be better to be unimpressed that a black individual has gotten to the top because then you completely elliminate the idea of race. Of course, congratulate the individual for the SUCCESS but leave race out of it. That just promotes the idea that people of different races have different oppertunities open to them.

I know nothing about politics, I just waffle. :rolleyes:

Eek! Scary Horatio.

Enough of my rant.

That is true, but actively addressing the issue in that way again implies that there is a problem. It would be better to be unimpressed that a black individual has gotten to the top because then you completely elliminate the idea of race. Of course, congratulate the individual for the SUCCESS but leave race out of it. That just promotes the idea that people of different races have different oppertunities open to them.

Would that waffle be with syrup?

In the USA people think that the best way to be someone is through sports or acting.

Forget education... that doesn't get you anywhere.

Eek! Scary Horatio.

Enough of my rant.

In the USA people think that the best way to be someone is through sports or acting.

I maintain that America has a smell and that smell is somewhere between doughnuts and waffles. Mmm. I'm hungry.

I warmed up to Obama on finding out that he's too attached to his Blackberry that he insisted on keeping it with him in the White House. He must really love that phone!

Eek! Scary Horatio.

Enough of my rant.

I maintain that America has a smell and that smell is somewhere between doughnuts and waffles. Mmm. I'm hungry.

I warmed up to Obama on finding out that he's too attached to his Blackberry that he insisted on keeping it with him in the White House. He must really love that phone!

More than the phone... I think he is so accustomed to the immediate contact and reply, that he felt that he went back to the dark ages without it.

Eek! Scary Horatio.

Enough of my rant.

More than the phone... I think he is so accustomed to the immediate contact and reply, that he felt that he went back to the dark ages without it.

He said that that way someone on the other side of the country can send him a message asking him "What are you doing?", thereby being kept in check. A good idea in theory, but if *I* were the friend of the president of the United States I'd feel a bit funny about questioning him!

But a government should be afraid ofits people, not the other way around, so I suppose it's a good thing. Or good publicity for Blackberry.

Eek! Scary Horatio.

Enough of my rant.

He said that that way someone on the other side of the country can send him a message asking him "What are you doing?", thereby being kept in check. A good idea in theory, but if *I* were the friend of the president of the United States I'd feel a bit funny about questioning him!

But a government should be afraid ofits people, not the other way around, so I suppose it's a good thing. Or good publicity for Blackberry.

Also, there is the fact that the USA keeps a log of all communication of the President. With the Blackberry, it would be much harder. Not impossible though.

Eek! Scary Horatio.

Enough of my rant.

Also, there is the fact that the USA keeps a log of all communication of the President. With the Blackberry, it would be much harder. Not impossible though.

I did not know that, but it makes sense. From looking at the media right now it looks like people were expecting Obama to reinvent America in a single week. He can't work miracles, the poor man.

Eek! Scary Horatio.

Enough of my rant.

I did not know that, but it makes sense. From looking at the media right now it looks like people were expecting Obama to reinvent America in a single week. He can't work miracles, the poor man.

His quote...

"Yes we can!"

No problem for President Obama!

Eek! Scary Horatio.

Enough of my rant.

His quote...

"Yes we can!"

I have heard next to no news about him after his inauguration. Has the Oval Office swallowed him up?

Eek! Scary Horatio.

Enough of my rant.

His quote...

"Yes we can!"

I have heard next to no news about him after his inauguration. Has the Oval Office swallowed him up?

Probably. :lol:

Of course, it has only been about ten days, so he is probably gearing up for some big news on the economy.

On another note... I wish he would get a more realistic view of Israel and the situation there.

I did find this article, published in the Los Angeles Times. I did find it quite interesting. It's entitled "Obama's bold first week".

Barack Obama ended four wars during his first week as president. With just a few words and strokes of his pen, the president ended the war on terror, the war on Islam, the war on science and the war on women.

In his first executive orders, Obama effectively dismantled the elaborate structures that supported the Bush administration's "war on terror." On Jan. 22, he ordered the closure of the Guantanamo prison and a halt to the much-criticized military commission trials. He closed secret CIA prisons, required that the Red Cross have access to detainees and mandated that interrogations of detainees -- whether by the military, the CIA or anyone else -- comply with the rules laid out in the Army Field Manual.

That means: No more torture. No waterboarding, beatings, sexual humiliations or deprivation of food or medical care. And in case anyone's confused, the order makes it clear that those seeking guidance "may not rely on any interpretation of the law governing interrogation ... issued by the Department of Justice between September 11, 2001, and January 20, 2009." (That means you, John Yoo).

The war on Islam is also over. Officially, of course, it never existed. But that's how the "war on terror" looked to many around the world, a misunderstanding fueled by the war in Iraq and the irresponsible rhetoric of many Bush administration officials.

After 9/11, the United States had widespread international support -- including within the Islamic world -- for military action in Afghanistan to destroy Al Qaeda and oust its Taliban hosts. But when that morphed into an open-ended U.S. effort to go to war in more "target-rich" environments (read: Iraq), regardless of the lack of connection to 9/11, U.S. actions struck many Muslims as motivated by generic hostility to Islam. The fact that U.S. officials from George W. Bush on down seemed fuzzy about the differences between Sunni and Shiite Muslims, and tended to ignore the very different ideologies that motivate different militant organizations, added to the sense that the U.S. considered Islam itself the problem.

But by giving his first televised interview to Al Arabiya, a channel watched throughout the Arab world, Obama made it clear that the U.S. isn't at war with Islam itself. "The Muslim world is filled with extraordinary people who simply want to live their lives and see their children live better lives," he said. "There are extremist organizations -- whether Muslim or any other faith ... that will use faith as a justification for violence. We cannot paint with a broad brush a faith as a consequence of the violence that is done in that faith's name.... Our administration [will] be very clear in distinguishing between organizations like Al Qaeda -- that ... espouse terror .... and people who may disagree with my administration" in legitimate ways.

Obama also ended the undeclared Bush administration war on science. In his inaugural speech, he promised to "restore science to its rightful place." Reversing years of Bush administration disregard of scientific evidence on global climate change, Obama ordered the Transportation Department to set new fuel-efficiency standards and ordered the Environmental Protection Agency to rethink its Bush-era refusal to allow states such as California to impose anti-pollution standards more stringent than federal ones.

The undeclared war on women? Also over. On Jan. 23, Obama reversed the "Mexico City policy," which prohibited recipients of U.S. foreign-assistance funds from providing abortions or even providing information about abortions. Family planning groups worldwide will no longer have to choose between providing honest information and receiving crucial funding.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that these assorted "wars" were only metaphors, incapable of producing real harm. The "war on terror" was practically a gift to Osama bin Laden: Our detention and interrogation policies probably fueled far more terrorism than they prevented. Ditto for the Bush administration's undeclared war against Islam.

The Bush administration's replacement of science with ideology was equally devastating: How many lives will be lost or blighted as we all pay the price for a decade of denial about the human causes of global warming? And some estimate that as many as 500,000 women worldwide have died since 2001 as a result of botched abortions, many of which might have been prevented if the Mexico City policy hadn't pushed abortions and abortion counseling underground in many countries.

Obama's job is just beginning. The wars in Afghanistan and Iraq will be far harder to end.

Still, not bad for a week's work.

I did find this article, published in the Los Angeles Times. I did find it quite interesting. It's entitled "Obama's bold first week".

Barack Obama ended four wars during his first week as president. With just a few words and strokes of his pen, the president ended the war on terror, the war on Islam, the war on science and the war on women.

In his first executive orders, Obama effectively dismantled the elaborate structures that supported the Bush administration's "war on terror." On Jan. 22, he ordered the closure of the Guantanamo prison and a halt to the much-criticized military commission trials. He closed secret CIA prisons, required that the Red Cross have access to detainees and mandated that interrogations of detainees -- whether by the military, the CIA or anyone else -- comply with the rules laid out in the Army Field Manual.

That means: No more torture. No waterboarding, beatings, sexual humiliations or deprivation of food or medical care. And in case anyone's confused, the order makes it clear that those seeking guidance "may not rely on any interpretation of the law governing interrogation ... issued by the Department of Justice between September 11, 2001, and January 20, 2009." (That means you, John Yoo).

The war on Islam is also over. Officially, of course, it never existed. But that's how the "war on terror" looked to many around the world, a misunderstanding fueled by the war in Iraq and the irresponsible rhetoric of many Bush administration officials.

After 9/11, the United States had widespread international support -- including within the Islamic world -- for military action in Afghanistan to destroy Al Qaeda and oust its Taliban hosts. But when that morphed into an open-ended U.S. effort to go to war in more "target-rich" environments (read: Iraq), regardless of the lack of connection to 9/11, U.S. actions struck many Muslims as motivated by generic hostility to Islam. The fact that U.S. officials from George W. Bush on down seemed fuzzy about the differences between Sunni and Shiite Muslims, and tended to ignore the very different ideologies that motivate different militant organizations, added to the sense that the U.S. considered Islam itself the problem.

But by giving his first televised interview to Al Arabiya, a channel watched throughout the Arab world, Obama made it clear that the U.S. isn't at war with Islam itself. "The Muslim world is filled with extraordinary people who simply want to live their lives and see their children live better lives," he said. "There are extremist organizations -- whether Muslim or any other faith ... that will use faith as a justification for violence. We cannot paint with a broad brush a faith as a consequence of the violence that is done in that faith's name.... Our administration [will] be very clear in distinguishing between organizations like Al Qaeda -- that ... espouse terror .... and people who may disagree with my administration" in legitimate ways.

Obama also ended the undeclared Bush administration war on science. In his inaugural speech, he promised to "restore science to its rightful place." Reversing years of Bush administration disregard of scientific evidence on global climate change, Obama ordered the Transportation Department to set new fuel-efficiency standards and ordered the Environmental Protection Agency to rethink its Bush-era refusal to allow states such as California to impose anti-pollution standards more stringent than federal ones.

The undeclared war on women? Also over. On Jan. 23, Obama reversed the "Mexico City policy," which prohibited recipients of U.S. foreign-assistance funds from providing abortions or even providing information about abortions. Family planning groups worldwide will no longer have to choose between providing honest information and receiving crucial funding.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that these assorted "wars" were only metaphors, incapable of producing real harm. The "war on terror" was practically a gift to Osama bin Laden: Our detention and interrogation policies probably fueled far more terrorism than they prevented. Ditto for the Bush administration's undeclared war against Islam.

The Bush administration's replacement of science with ideology was equally devastating: How many lives will be lost or blighted as we all pay the price for a decade of denial about the human causes of global warming? And some estimate that as many as 500,000 women worldwide have died since 2001 as a result of botched abortions, many of which might have been prevented if the Mexico City policy hadn't pushed abortions and abortion counseling underground in many countries.

Obama's job is just beginning. The wars in Afghanistan and Iraq will be far harder to end.

Still, not bad for a week's work.

Thank you for posting that article. I had read it, but am not certain how exactly I feel. The changes in the research and abortion policies are good, in my opinion. We need to truly address Global Warming and the human impact on the earth. Regarding terrorism, only time will tell. In my opinion, Osama Bin Laden is not finished, as Al Queda is spreading into several countries in Africa where the government is weak. Take Sudan for example. As far as the closing of secret CIA prisons, well, we would have to access some information to really see the extent of what existed and what was closed. But that information is 'secret'.

We need to all get involved and email, telephone and write our political representatives and let them know how we want them to vote. We need to send the government a message that we care and we will do what we can to see that our politicians represent our views, not that of some lobbyist.

I'm hoping for positive change.

• 1 month later...

Researching for my essay: "compare and contrast the deatures of prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells". Luckily for me my textbook has pretty much everything I need on only a few pages. ^_^

Researching for my essay: "compare and contrast the deatures of prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells". Luckily for me my textbook has pretty much everything I need on only a few pages. ^_^

And you have to write a 1000 word essay on this???? :o

Yeah, but there's plenty to write about: the textbook I'm using even has a section comparing the two types of cells, thereby making my job a lot easier!

I'm on the internet waiting for the latest episode of "Ugly Betty" to finish streaming.

Yeah, but there's plenty to write about: the textbook I'm using even has a section comparing the two types of cells, thereby making my job a lot easier!

I'm on the internet waiting for the latest episode of "Ugly Betty" to finish streaming.

Ugly Betty is great!

My schedule needs tweaking and then I am going to look for some other apps for my phone.

Ugly Betty is great!

My schedule needs tweaking and then I am going to look for some other apps for my phone.

Isn't it just? I'd be lost without my weekly dose of Marc. :lol:

I'm Googling random words to see what they come up with. "Fliomop" didn't yield anything of value.

Ugly Betty is great!

Isn't it just? I'd be lost without my weekly dose of Marc. :lol:

I'm Googling random words to see what they come up with. "Fliomop" didn't yield anything of value.

You must be bored. :lol:

• 1 month later...
Facebook. I got one a few days ago and it's quite addicting. :rolleyes:

~Liz

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Please don't give out too much information.

Nothing more than that, don't worry! ^_^

~Liz

Thanks. Have to check, you understand.

You are a mod, after all. :)

~Liz

~Liz

~Liz

~Liz

Only a mod here. :blush:

But I always have to watch out for all the people here when they wander elsewhere.

~Liz

~Liz

~Liz

But I always have to watch out for all the people here when they wander elsewhere.

The internet's a wild place... :ph34r: LOL

~Liz

~Liz

~Liz

~Liz

The internet's a wild place... :ph34r: LOL

~Liz

Very, very true.