Hampsterdance Discussion Board

College

Jesusfreak

So. I'm halfway done with my undergrad work at college. And it crossed my mind that probably most of the people here are in high school or middle school. So I figured I'd make a topic where you guys could post your questions about college, what it's like, etc. And I can try to answer them. I know at least Jesse and Leguan are in college too, so they might be able to answer some questions too. So, anyone have any questions about college?

So. I'm halfway done with my undergrad work at college. And it crossed my mind that probably most of the people here are in high school or middle school. So I figured I'd make a topic where you guys could post your questions about college, what it's like, etc. And I can try to answer them. I know at least Jesse and Leguan are in college too, so they might be able to answer some questions too. So, anyone have any questions about college?

Great idea!!!!

Great idea!!!!

Thanks! ^_^

I have no idea where I want to go to college or what I want to do. :D

I'm a sophomore, so I have some time.

~Liz

Yeah, you've got time. Just remember to get a good idea of what you want to do *before* you pick a college if you can. As for deciding what to do, think about your favorite academic subjects and things you enjoy doing, and think about what careers they could turn into. I enjoy helping people and teaching, and I was always good at science. So I'm elementary ed and psychology and I'll probably declare a middle school science minor. So I could be a middle school science teacher, or with the psychology degree I could be a psychiatrist, counselor, or something like that. Just make sure you major in something you enjoy, and if you find out you don't like your major, switch it while you still have time. Most college students switch their major at least once.

Im thinkin of VT, 'cause lightning wont strike twice, or however that term goes.

and then get a mad degree in graphic design, and also Linux Programming.

Microsoft is just going further and further downhill. In the foreseeable future, nobody will want windows anymore, and with all due respect to Mac users, I think a majority of them will switch to Linux.

Most Debian-based OS' have striking similarities in the interface to Windows, without gaping holes in the security. [Debian being a category of Linux.]

And when everyone makes this switch because Vista wont allow third-party software, then theres gonna be a flood of software conversions and a ridiculous demand for moar. so, one can get a whole lott'a dollars by simply being familiar with Linux when Microsoft goes down.

And then those who dont like Linux can try working with Macs.

i dunno, Macs arent quite my thing. They're too simple for my liking. Im the kind of person who'd have a seven-button mouse, custom hack-pipelining browsers, overclocked processors and replacing drives at my own discretion, and then put some manual settings in to the .dll's and .ini's in the system directories.

You can speed right through your BIOS setup and bring up the desktop in less than 20 seconds if you know what you're doing.

um.

In a more related note, What are some things to look for or avoid in regards to habitation in college? Where I live(d), there were some campus apartments going up a few blocks away. for some $700 a month, you could move in right across the street from the college in a fully furnished apartment, 48" plasma screen TV and routine room service to take care of your place while you're in class.

That seemed a little unnecessary if you ask me.

To me, a college habitat should be kind of cheap and unenjoyable, once you get back from working at a fast-food joint. That will make you appreciate having a degree and a real job and a real house/apartment, and give you something to look back on when more hard times come your way.

What do you think the optimal place of dwelling should be for college students?

Also: Lexxy-man is a college student, or at least he was last time I checked.

so I think he should be all up in here gracing us with his college-oriented presence.

:D

Sounds like a good choice of major(s) for you. :) As for college living, for your freshman year at least, I suggest living on campus in a standard double room (meaning you have one roomie). Most standard double rooms have two each of a bed, desk, chair, closet, and set of drawers. Just the basics. Your entire floor shares a couple bathrooms, which in my experience isn't too bad. Standard doubles are nice because you only have to deal with one roomie, and you're directly connected to the hallway, which is better for meeting new people and making friends. Chances are, your building will have at least one lounge with a TV and furniture, and maybe a small kitchen. When you look at colleges, find out what the different residence halls are like. Sometimes colleges designate different halls for different things. Like part of one building is for just science majors, another building is for honors freshmen, part of another is substance-free, etc.

My experiences so far: Freshman year I lived in a standard double in a building designated for honors freshmen. It was pretty good overall, and not as rowdy as the normal freshmen building because the kids where I was were a bit smarter. However, as with any freshmen-only residence, a lot of the people are just getting out from under their parents' control, and are experimenting and doing tons of stupid stuff. (Honors freshmen can't cook popcorn without burning it). From what I understand, the normal freshmen building is usually crazy, and they do stupid things like spraying fire extinguishers in the hallway (which can happen anywhere, but it's more common with freshmen).

Last year I was in wellness (substance-free, meaning NO alcohol or cigarettes, regardless of age) once again in a standard double. It was a great year. I don't drink or smoke, and I was living with people who felt the same way (which meant lots of awesome game/anime/band geeks). There were no drunken shenanigans, and it was an overall great place to be. Also, most of my friends were in the same place (we purposely picked rooms next to each other).

We probably would have stayed in wellness, but next year most of my friends are going to be 21, and while most of them aren't looking to go get drunk, they at least want the option of drinking. So the guys got a suite in a building that's all suites, and the girls (myself included) are taking up a good part of one wing on the 3rd floor of the building next door, which is supposed to be pretty quiet.

Locations to keep in mind: Look at the layout of your campus. Buildings that are close to greek buildings (fraternities and sororities) are likely to be big party spots. See what buildings are close to or far away from. Also, if you know people that already go to the college you want to go to, ask them about the different buildings.

Within the building: If you can pick what specific room you want, keep these things in mind: look for stairs, doors, and bathrooms. The closer you are to these things, the more people will be walking past your room. This is good for meeting new people if you have your door propped open, but not so good for sleeping if you're a light sleeper. The first floor, while you don't have to walk up stairs, is no fun. First floors generally have the most people walking through them, and also most often have tour groups walking through them on open house days. Also, you have to worry about people breaking in through your window (which isn't really a problem in most places, but still something to worry about). Another thing is that you might have to deal with noise from above you. The first floor also gets a lot of noise from people who are outside the building, and also second hand smoke (second hand smoke is also a good reason to pick rooms that aren't directly above doors to the outside of the building, because that's where smokers most often are). The second floor is where I've been the past two years. It's nice because it's not the first floor, and not up as many stairs as the third floor. The second floor has the same problem as the first floor with noise above you, but you also have to worry about not making too much noise for the people below you. The top floor of the building (which is the third floor for all the buildings on my campus except one) is nice for the same reasons as the second floor, and you don't have noise from upstairs. However, you have to climb up more stairs to get to your room, which is no fun, especially in move in day (most buildings on my campus don't have elevators). One nice thing about all those stairs though, is that it's good exercise, and it means that the top floor has the least amount of traffic, and should be the quietest.

Um, wow, I wrote a novel. :P I'm probably forgetting stuff too.... :rolleyes:

I has question(s).

1) I keep chaning my mind, but most of the time I keep going back to owning a restuarant. I love food! =] Though most people tell me they can't tell from looking at me. =P

Anyway, my mom is an amazing cook and what not, and she has always wanted to own a restuarant, but she didn't have any formal training or what not, and she didn't know what to do.. So she never got around to it. But she has really gotten me into different gourmet foods and cooking and what not. My point is, if I really wanted to do that, I can go to the Culinary Institue of America for free, since my step-dad works there. Anyway, I live relatively close to the CIA, and I either wanted to go to college in Manhattan or Boston. I wanted the big city experience, ya know. So do you think that like, the location of the college is important? Our area is pretty built up, so it's not like it's in rural Kansas, but I dunno, I wanted to go somewhere else and what not. Gosh, I say what not too much.

2) Going abroad.... I love french, with a passion. I want to continue with it throughout college. I thought it would be cool to doing a semester in France, and then I could learn all about their cuisine and what not. Gah. What not.

Do you think that it's worth it and that it is somehting I should consider?

Im thinkin of VT, 'cause lightning wont strike twice, or however that term goes.

and then get a mad degree in graphic design, and also Linux Programming.

Microsoft is just going further and further downhill. In the foreseeable future, nobody will want windows anymore, and with all due respect to Mac users, I think a majority of them will switch to Linux.

Most Debian-based OS' have striking similarities in the interface to Windows, without gaping holes in the security. [Debian being a category of Linux.]

And when everyone makes this switch because Vista wont allow third-party software, then theres gonna be a flood of software conversions and a ridiculous demand for moar. so, one can get a whole lott'a dollars by simply being familiar with Linux when Microsoft goes down.

And then those who dont like Linux can try working with Macs.

i dunno, Macs arent quite my thing. They're too simple for my liking. Im the kind of person who'd have a seven-button mouse, custom hack-pipelining browsers, overclocked processors and replacing drives at my own discretion, and then put some manual settings in to the .dll's and .ini's in the system directories.

You can speed right through your BIOS setup and bring up the desktop in less than 20 seconds if you know what you're doing.

um.

In a more related note, What are some things to look for or avoid in regards to habitation in college? Where I live(d), there were some campus apartments going up a few blocks away. for some $700 a month, you could move in right across the street from the college in a fully furnished apartment, 48" plasma screen TV and routine room service to take care of your place while you're in class.

That seemed a little unnecessary if you ask me.

To me, a college habitat should be kind of cheap and unenjoyable, once you get back from working at a fast-food joint. That will make you appreciate having a degree and a real job and a real house/apartment, and give you something to look back on when more hard times come your way.

What do you think the optimal place of dwelling should be for college students?

The Mac operating system is a spin-off of Linux.

I has question(s).

1) I keep chaning my mind, but most of the time I keep going back to owning a restuarant. I love food! =] Though most people tell me they can't tell from looking at me. =P

Anyway, my mom is an amazing cook and what not, and she has always wanted to own a restuarant, but she didn't have any formal training or what not, and she didn't know what to do.. So she never got around to it. But she has really gotten me into different gourmet foods and cooking and what not. My point is, if I really wanted to do that, I can go to the Culinary Institue of America for free, since my step-dad works there. Anyway, I live relatively close to the CIA, and I either wanted to go to college in Manhattan or Boston. I wanted the big city experience, ya know. So do you think that like, the location of the college is important? Our area is pretty built up, so it's not like it's in rural Kansas, but I dunno, I wanted to go somewhere else and what not. Gosh, I say what not too much.

2) Going abroad.... I love french, with a passion. I want to continue with it throughout college. I thought it would be cool to doing a semester in France, and then I could learn all about their cuisine and what not. Gah. What not.

Do you think that it's worth it and that it is somehting I should consider?

1) I think that different locations have their advantages and disadvantages. My college is in a suburban area. Everything we really need is on campus, and anything off campus worth going to requires a car, and most people have a car on campus (or at least have friends who do). Every saturday there's a free shuttle that goes to the local shopping places. It's nice because it's a safe neighborhood, but there's nothing within walking distance. A city environment is cool because things are closer and you don't need a car to get everywhere, and there's probably more to do. However, depending on the area, crime might be a bit of a concern. There are lots of places you can go for cooking I think, and being able to go for free would be awesome. I still suggest trying to live on campus if you can though, either way.

2) Study abroad sounds like an awesome idea! I would do it if I had the time and money for it. So yes, definitely something to consider.

~Liz

Yeah, you've got time. Just remember to get a good idea of what you want to do *before* you pick a college if you can. As for deciding what to do, think about your favorite academic subjects and things you enjoy doing, and think about what careers they could turn into. I enjoy helping people and teaching, and I was always good at science. So I'm elementary ed and psychology and I'll probably declare a middle school science minor. So I could be a middle school science teacher, or with the psychology degree I could be a psychiatrist, counselor, or something like that. Just make sure you major in something you enjoy, and if you find out you don't like your major, switch it while you still have time. Most college students switch their major at least once.

The problem is, I'm interested in a couple of subjects, and do well at all of them! (Sorry, not trying to brag or anything...) I like math & science, and I also like English. (Though I dislike history.) I'm taking AP chem next year, along with honors Pre-calc, Honors physics, Honors English, Honors US History, Religion, Band, Gym.

I've only been on one official college tour so far, at Northwestern, where my dad went. It's pretty far away (I live in NY state), but so far I don't have too much to judge it against. This summer, my parents & I will probably visit other colleges, and I'll have more experience with all of this!

And thanks for posting about dorms - it was very interesting!

~Liz

~Liz

The problem is, I'm interested in a couple of subjects, and do well at all of them! (Sorry, not trying to brag or anything...) I like math & science, and I also like English. (Though I dislike history.) I'm taking AP chem next year, along with honors Pre-calc, Honors physics, Honors English, Honors US History, Religion, Band, Gym.

I've only been on one official college tour so far, at Northwestern, where my dad went. It's pretty far away (I live in NY state), but so far I don't have too much to judge it against. This summer, my parents & I will probably visit other colleges, and I'll have more experience with all of this!

~Liz

Keep in mind though, it's not just doing well in, but enjoying learning about certain subjects that's important. I did well in English too, but I didn't really enjoy learning about it. Take some time to sit and think about things that are really fun and interesting to you. As for colleges, I did an online search at the same website where you register for the SATs, and that's how I found my college. It's spiffy.

~Liz

~Liz

Keep in mind though, it's not just doing well in, but enjoying learning about certain subjects that's important. I did well in English too, but I didn't really enjoy learning about it. Take some time to sit and think about things that are really fun and interesting to you. As for colleges, I did an online search at the same website where you register for the SATs, and that's how I found my college. It's spiffy.

But the thing is, I really do enjoy math, science, and English! But of course, it might be a bit difficult to major in all three of them. :P And I like working with computers (although I don't know as much as Arkcher!) I probably got that from my parents, both of them used to work at IBM. My mom has a degree in computer science, my dad in Electrical engineering. So I've grown up thinking that was cool too!

Now to narrow it all down... ^_^

~Liz

~Liz

~Liz

But the thing is, I really do enjoy math, science, and English! But of course, it might be a bit difficult to major in all three of them. :P And I like working with computers (although I don't know as much as Arkcher!) I probably got that from my parents, both of them used to work at IBM. My mom has a degree in computer science, my dad in Electrical engineering. So I've grown up thinking that was cool too!

Now to narrow it all down... ^_^

~Liz

Math + Science = Physics. I started out as a physics major, but I found I didn't enjoy college math and science courses as much as the ones I took in high school. They're *really* hard. I think part of the problem is that college professors aren't required to have a background in education, so a lot of them just can't teach. Psychology is fun if you enjoy learning about how people think and act, and things like that. There's a bit of math involved when you learn about doing research (nothing beyond Algebra II), and there's English involved in writing up abstracts and things like that. Science concepts include some basic biology (especially that of the brain and nerves), and chemical things like hormones. Biopsychology focuses on the biological aspects of psychology. Oh, and the math parts of psychology, at least for my class, involved using a computer program to do the more complicated math. So there's computers involved too. :rolleyes:

Interesting topic.

So in the US, most students are accomodated in special dorms sharing rooms?

Here you either search for a flat or an apartment on the housing market or get one of the rare and cheap accomodations in dormitories. In the dorms, you can get an apartment, a single room with kitchen and bath on the hallway or a room in a flat share.

I'm living in a flat share together with two other students. The first three semesters, I still lived at my parents and commuted. 1,5 h each direction... Then I moved to Cologne about one year ago, now I need five minutes by bicycle to my institute. Here just a few students have cars because public transportation is very good and free for students. In addition, the university is located close to the city center.

Interesting topic.

So in the US, most students are accomodated in special dorms sharing rooms?

Here you either search for a flat or an apartment on the housing market or get one of the rare and cheap accomodations in dormitories. In the dorms, you can get an apartment, a single room with kitchen and bath on the hallway or a room in a flat share.

I'm living in a flat share together with two other students. The first three semesters, I still lived at my parents and commuted. 1,5 h each direction... Then I moved to Cologne about one year ago, now I need five minutes by bicycle to my institute. Here just a few students have cars because public transportation is very good and free for students. In addition, the university is located close to the city center.

Yeah, most people live in dorms here. They're set up kinda like hotels as far as room placement goes, only each room doesn't get its own bathroom. Instead entire hallways share a bathroom that has like three showers, sinks, and toilets. Although it depends on the college. Colleges that are in a city with lots of apartment buildings nearby have less dorm buildings because it's easy for students to get their own apartments, and public transportation is better. Where my college is, public transportation isn't too good, and it's very suburban, so most students either live on campus or live with their parents and commute. Most people that live on campus have cars on campus too. My sister's college is huge (the population there is bigger than the population of my town), and her campus has shuttle busses that run within the campus, which contains lots of restaurants and places to go shopping, so you never need to leave campus anyways. Because of that, and because freshmen can't have cars on her campus, less people have cars.

I see. So you have everthing you need on the campus.

Cologne hasn't got a campus. The faculties are spreaded over several districts. That's quite annoying if you have to attend lectures at different faculties. In this case, a bicycle combined with trolley-car or subway is the fastest possibility to get ahead. A car would be slower because traffic is very dense and parking space is extremely limited. For most students it is also too expensive. Gas costs € 1,50 per litre, that's $ 8,50 per gallon.

I see. So you have everthing you need on the campus.

Cologne hasn't got a campus. The faculties are spreaded over several districts. That's quite annoying if you have to attend lectures at different faculties. In this case, a bicycle combined with trolley-car or subway is the fastest possibility to get ahead. A car would be slower because traffic is very dense and parking space is extremely limited. For most students it is also too expensive. Gas costs € 1,50 per litre, that's $ 8,50 per gallon.

Ouch. And I thought $4 a gallon was bad. >_< But yeah, colleges that are in less urban areas tend to have everything on campus. Colleges that are in the city though, are more like your college, with buildings all over the place. Yale is like that. And they have shuttle busses, or you could take a city bus to get around. There are a few people in bikes, but that's a bit difficult with crowded streets and sidewalks.

Well.

I just found out today that I cannot take AP Chem because only 9 people signed up for the class. (Downside of a small school...) So I think I might take AP Statistics in place of it. A friend of mine is taking AP Stat (this is not the only reason I'm thinking of taking it!)

:wacko:

~Liz

There are a few people in bikes, but that's a bit difficult with crowded streets and sidewalks.

I think there's a huge difference between the US and Europe, especially Germany. Additional to the fact that gas is very expensive and parking space is rare, many people here are very ecology-minded. Riding a bicycle is quite normal for short distances (a few kilometres). Many streets have special bicyle lanes and everywhere you can find kickstands.

There are a few people in bikes, but that's a bit difficult with crowded streets and sidewalks.

I think there's a huge difference between the US and Europe, especially Germany. Additional to the fact that gas is very expensive and parking space is rare, many people here are very ecology-minded. Riding a bicycle is quite normal for short distances (a few kilometres). Many streets have special bicyle lanes and everywhere you can find kickstands.

That's so awesome! I would ride my bike more often, but where I live, there are no bike lanes, and often no sidewalks (and even then, it is technically illegal to ride on the sidewalks, although people do it anyways because it's safer). It's just not easy for cars and bikes to be on the same roads around here. Also where I am there are lots of big hills that aren't too fun to get up.

Well.

I just found out today that I cannot take AP Chem because only 9 people signed up for the class. (Downside of a small school...) So I think I might take AP Statistics in place of it. A friend of mine is taking AP Stat (this is not the only reason I'm thinking of taking it!)

~Liz

lol my high school didn't have AP chem at all. :P AP stats might be a good class. What are your options?

I don't know where to start as to where I should go to college. I simply want to become a band director, so really not much is required of me. Obviously I will stay in California, as going out of state would be more expensive and I'd like to pay at least some mind financially. There's a lot of opportunities to go to good schools in California, though. I don't know, I've got another year before I really should make final decisions, but I'd like to figure this out soon. Obviously, Southern California narrows it down, but not completely.

I don't know where to start as to where I should go to college. I simply want to become a band director, so really not much is required of me. Obviously I will stay in California, as going out of state would be more expensive and I'd like to pay at least some mind financially. There's a lot of opportunities to go to good schools in California, though. I don't know, I've got another year before I really should make final decisions, but I'd like to figure this out soon. Obviously, Southern California narrows it down, but not completely.

Band director would probably come out to majoring in music education, or double majoring in music and the education level of your choosing. I know that my college has a music education program of some sort, but I'm not sure how it works....

California has excellent colleges and universities!!!

Well.

~Liz

lol my high school didn't have AP chem at all. :P AP stats might be a good class. What are your options?

AP Stats, Ap Bio, Ap Spanish or spanish 4, stuff like child development and other non-AP classes. Stat is my top choice as of the moment, I want to take at least 1 AP in junior year.

~Liz

Yay for band! :D I'm planning on taking it all 4 years. I play bells (glockenspiel) (mallet percussion.)

~Liz

Well.

~Liz

AP Stats, Ap Bio, Ap Spanish or spanish 4, stuff like child development and other non-AP classes. Stat is my top choice as of the moment, I want to take at least 1 AP in junior year.

~Liz

Out of those, I'd take Spanish, unless one of the others will apply directly to your major. Spanish is a nifty language to know, and most colleges have a language requirement regardless of your major.

But the thing is, I really do enjoy math, science, and English! But of course, it might be a bit difficult to major in all three of them. :P

Something to consider is that some colleges let you make your own majors. If you could find a creative way to combine those subjects together into a major (or maybe two of them into a major, and then minor in the other) then that might be a good reason to attend such a college. I've heard of custom majors like Psychological History or Music History.

Or, you could simply major in one of the subjects and minor in the others. Just don't do a single major in English, I heard that it is useless unless you want to teach English.

Or do two majors and a minor...there are lots of options for you here.

One thing though is that "science" is going to be a very vague term. You should at least pick a branch like Biology, Chemistry, or Physics (unless, again, you can combine them. Like Biochemistry.) From what I've heard, Biology and Chemistry are rather ambiguous terms themselves, and you might have to break it down further. (for example my former roommate had a bio major with a neurology focus).

But the thing is, I really do enjoy math, science, and English! But of course, it might be a bit difficult to major in all three of them. :P

Something to consider is that some colleges let you make your own majors. If you could find a creative way to combine those subjects together into a major (or maybe two of them into a major, and then minor in the other) then that might be a good reason to attend such a college. I've heard of custom majors like Psychological History or Music History.

Or, you could simply major in one of the subjects and minor in the others. Just don't do a single major in English, I heard that it is useless unless you want to teach English.

One thing though is that "science" is going to be a very vague term. You should at least pick a branch like Biology, Chemistry, or Physics (unless, again, you can combine them. Like Biochemistry.) From what I've heard, Biology and Chemistry are rather ambiguous terms themselves, and you might have to break it down further. (for example my former roommate had a bio major with a neurology focus).

Yes, hopefully I'll be able to do something like that. I'll have to see how Physics goes next year to see if I like it. I think I will, and then I'm planning on taking AP Physics senior year. So I guess I'll need more experience before I can narrow down what I specifically want to study.

Thanks Jesse & Jesusfreak for the advice!

~Liz

Yes, hopefully I'll be able to do something like that. I'll have to see how Physics goes next year to see if I like it. I think I will, and then I'm planning on taking AP Physics senior year. So I guess I'll need more experience before I can narrow down what I specifically want to study.

Thanks Jesse & Jesusfreak for the advice!

~Liz

No problem. :) Also keep in mind that a lot of colleges don't make you declare a major until the end of sophomore year, so you can go in as "undecided." Although as a general rule, the sooner you declare a major the better.