Hampsterdance Discussion Board

Paul Harvey on Prayer

Arkcher

I got this in an email today, and, strangely enough, thought of all you guys.

Maybe just to get the boards more active, but whatever.

Keep in mind Im not trying to instigate anything, make another debate topic, or insult anyones individuality or beliefs.

Moreover, I dont even know who Paul Harvey is. I could check, but my internet connection wont let me find out in anything short of 20 minutes, being on dial-up still.

Point being, Read the following, and let me know what you guys think.

I don't believe in Santa Claus, but I'm not going to sue somebody for singing a Ho-Ho-Ho song in December. I don't agree with Darwin , but I didn't go out and hire a lawyer when my high school teacher taught his Theory of Evolution.

Life, liberty or your pursuit of happiness will not be endangered because someone says a 30-second prayer before a football game. So what's the big deal? It's not like somebody is up there reading the entire Book of Acts. They're just talking to a God they believe in and asking him to grant safety to the players on the field and the fan s going home from the game.

But it's a Christian prayer, some will argue.

Yes, and this is the United States of America , a country founded on Christian principles. According to our very own phone book, Christian churches outnumber all others better than 200-to-1. So what would you expect -- somebody chanting Hare Krishna?

If I went to a football game Jerusalem ,I would expect to hear a Jewish prayer.

If I went to a soccer game in Baghdad , I would expect to hear a Muslim prayer.

If I went to a ping pong match in China , I would expect to hear someone pray to Buddha.

And I wouldn't be offended. It wouldn't bother me one bit.

When in Rome ...

But what about the atheists? Is another argument .

What about them? Nobody is asking them to be baptized. We're not going to pass the collection plate. Just humor us for 30 seconds. If that's asking too much, bring a Walkman or a pair of ear plugs. Go to the bathroom. Visit the concession stand. Call your lawyer!

Unfortunately, one or two will make that call. One or two will tell thousands what they can and cannot do. I don't think a short prayer at a football game is going to shake the world's foundations.

Christians are just sick and tired of turning the other cheek while our courts strip us of all our rights. Our parents and grandparents taught us to pray before eating, to pray before we go to sleep. Our Bible tells us to pray without ceasing. Now a handful of people and their lawyers are telling us to cease praying.

God, help us. And if that last sentence offends you, well, just sue me.

The silent majority has been silent too long. It's time we tell that one or two who scream loud enough to be heard that the vast majority doesn't care what they want. It is time that the majority rules! It's time we tell them, You don't have to pray; you don't have to say the Pledge of Allegiance; you don't have to believe in God or attend services that honor Him. That is your right, and we will honor your right; but by golly, you are no longer going to take our rights away. We are fighting back, and we WILL WIN!

God bless us one and all .. especially those who denounce Him ,God bless America, despite all her faults. She is still the greatest nation of all. God bless our service men who are fighting to protect our right to pray and worship God.

What do you's guys think?

I agree. The whole reason this country got started in the first place was so people could be free to practice whatever religion they want. If people get that up in arms about people praying to God at a game, they have the same right to say, "May the laws of physics be in our favor today," or say a prayer to who/whatever they believe in.

Note: I'm not saying science is a religion or anything like that. I believe in the laws of physics too. So if anyone chooses to argue with me, please don't use that as a debating point, you know what I meant.

If I went to a ping pong match in China , I would expect to hear someone pray to Buddha.

-Phoenix Wright- HOLD IT!

Ok, this guy apparently did not know what he was talking about here.

No. No. No. No.

First off, you don't pray to Buddha. In fact, there is not praying or a God anywhere in Buddhism. None. They do not pray. Ever.

Second, he makes it seem like Buddha is a God. Buddha is NOT a God. Like I said, Buddhism is an Atheistic religion, and thus, has no Gods.

Third, Buddhism is not even a Chinese religion, it is a Tibetian/Indian religion!

Sorry. I know you weren't trying to offend anyone, Arkcher. Sorry for ranting.

So yea, I have no other comments

No. No. No. No.

First off, you don't pray to Buddha. In fact, there is not praying or a God anywhere in Buddhism. None. They do not pray. Ever.

Second, he makes it seem like Buddha is a God. Buddha is NOT a God. Like I said, Buddhism is an Atheistic religion, and thus, has no Gods.

Third, Buddhism is not even a Chinese religion, it is a Tibetian/Indian religion!

It's not like ping pong is the Chinese national sport or anything either. The author just picked some stereotypes to work with. Doesn't disqualify the paper.

Back on topic, I agree wholeheartedly. Good points were made. Wiki says Paul Harvey is a radio guy.

No. No. No. No.

It's not like ping pong is the Chinese national sport or anything either. The author just picked some stereotypes to work with. Doesn't disqualify the paper.

Back on topic, I agree wholeheartedly. Good points were made. Wiki says Paul Harvey is a radio guy.

Pretty much.

but Yeah, that'd be the first religion to come to mind, relating to Asia.

But then, I dont know a whole lot about either.

I'm a secular humanist, and I don't get offended by people praying. The thing that bothers me is when others try to make me pray, say grace, ect.

Y'see what I mean?

I'm a secular humanist, and I don't get offended by people praying. The thing that bothers me is when others try to make me pray, say grace, ect.

Y'see what I mean?

Exactly. No one should be forced to pray, and no one should be banned from praying. I don't see what's so complicated in that.

Y'see what I mean?

Exactly. No one should be forced to pray, and no one should be banned from praying. I don't see what's so complicated in that.

Unfortunately, some people feel the need to force their views, no matter what they may be, on others.

The world would be a much better place if everyone could show tolerance for others.

I'm quite in agreement as well. Saying a prayer won't kill anybody. I can udnerstand when people get upset about forced into doing something they don't believe in, but nobody is forcing them, so everybody just calm down.

He also kind of touched on a point I've noticed for a while, where you can't touch minorities because it's OMGOPRESHUN!!1!!!!!!1one but you can treat the majority like dirt. ._____. I thought the whole point of equality was that everybody had the same opportunities and treatment, with no group better than the other. Yes, it is easy for a majority group to abuse their power, and it is something that should be kept track of, but I think some people take it too far the other way.

I'm quite in agreement as well. Saying a prayer won't kill anybody. I can udnerstand when people get upset about forced into doing something they don't believe in, but nobody is forcing them, so everybody just calm down.

He also kind of touched on a point I've noticed for a while, where you can't touch minorities because it's OMGOPRESHUN!!1!!!!!!1one but you can treat the majority like dirt. ._____. I thought the whole point of equality was that everybody had the same opportunities and treatment, with no group better than the other. Yes, it is easy for a majority group to abuse their power, and it is something that should be kept track of, but I think some people take it too far the other way.

Katman is an infinitely versatile wisdumb-dispenser.

I totally agree. Like they have gay pride parades, but can you imagine what would happen if someone wanted to have a straight pride parade? Or how they have scholarships for minorities but not for white people? Yeah, that always bothered me.

I totally agree. Like they have gay pride parades, but can you imagine what would happen if someone wanted to have a straight pride parade? Or how they have scholarships for minorities but not for white people? Yeah, that always bothered me.

there was this event recently, it was the "Women's Expo."

I know that a Men's expo would be shot down and flagged as sexist.

And another thing that bugs me is standardized testing listing "white" as a race. I'm caucasian, not white. When you get as specific as "Pacific Islander," I feel slighted.

And another thing that bugs me is standardized testing listing "white" as a race. I'm caucasian, not white. When you get as specific as "Pacific Islander," I feel slighted.

Ooh.

That reminds me of another tangent.

Anyone else notice how the only real people that others can get away with for mocking is the white christian male?

You cant poke fun at athiests, its too discriminatory.

You cant do anything to jews nowadays.

You cant discriminate against black people.

You cant openly mock women.

Latino seems to qualify as its own race, you cant make fun of them either.

Looks to me like every 'minority' is protected some way or another, while the list goes on and I simply lack the patience to continue.

A good display of this is most TV shows.

It would be a federal misdemeanor to have a comedy show with mishaps of an african-american woman.

'Everybody loves Raymond' seems to be just that, only main character is a white guy. So its hilarious, and its not making fun of any minority, so its fine and dandy.

kind of makes you wonder what is considered racist and what isnt.

I have no objections to being called white, just the same as how I refer to black people as being black rather than African American. I don't demand to be called European American. Plus white and black are easier to say. :rolleyes:

I have no objections to being called white, just the same as how I refer to black people as being black rather than African American. I don't demand to be called European American. Plus white and black are easier to say. :rolleyes:

I'd have no objection to being called white as long as they call everyone else black, red, yellow, or whatever.

If we want equality, then we should get it, you know what I mean?

I get mad when I hear people making fun of a majority. If I hear a girl say a sexist comment about guys, it's going to make me upset, and I do tell people off who make fun of the majority.

Another point I'd like to bring up, but may not be related to what we're talking about, is how some people have very strict views on the definitions of racism and sexism. I've heard people call me a racist because I called someone "Black" or "Mexican" instead of African-American or Hispanic, which is just rubbish because even people who don't know me very well know for a fact that I am opposed to racism. During a test, the teacher handed out pencils that said "Black Warrior" on the side, and a couple kids complained about it being racist.

The strange thing is, the kid who called me a racist is a racist himself; I overheard him saying....some not-so-nice things about Germans and the British, which severely offended me. He made fun of me once when I said that part of my lineage was from Germany, saying awful things such as me and my family being Nazis. Dude, you don't just tell people they're nazis because their lineage is from germany.

Straight Pride parade? Hmmm....I might hold an event like that and see what happens...=D

The foreign exchange students at my school this year all talked to one of my classes last week, and I was really embarassed when both of the German kids said that people had come up to them in all seriousness and asked if they were nazis.

-______-;; It probably didn't help that they both did have blond hair and blue eyes, but seriously D: