Hampsterdance Discussion Board

Mardi Gras Quiz!!!

wildcat

Woohoo! its time to take the MARDI GRAS QUIZ!!!! ill post the answers eventually, or maybe even at the bottom of this post, idk yet! now, lets do it!!!

okay, i found this quiz on the internet SO NO CHEATING!

Question 1:

"Mardi Gras" actually means:

A "Merry Times"

B "Fat Tuesday"

C "Spring Welcome"

Question 2:

The religious name for Mardi Gras is:

A Shrove Tuesday

B Whitsunday

C Pre-Lent

Question 3:

In New Orleans, La., Mardi Gras celebrations are centered around this famous neighborhood:

A Latin Quarter

B French Quarter

C Sin City

Question 4:

New Orleans and Mardi Gras are often associated with this type of music:

A Jazz

B French folk songs

C Cajun music

Question 5:

Many Mardi Gras events are organized by private clubs known as:

A brotherhoods

B collective

C krewes

Question 6:

King Cakes are a popular Mardi Gras tradition. Inside the cake is hidden a:

A plastic baby

B silver dollar

C treasure-hunt map

Question 7:

The Mardi Gras colors are:

A red, white, and blue, representing the American flag

B white and gold, the colors of the French imperial navy

C purple, green, and gold, in honor of the Russian royal family

Question 8:

The young of all ages line the Mardi Gras parade route hoping to catch special coins tossed from the floats. The coins are known as:

A Mardi Gras pennies

B centimes

C doubloons

Question 9:

In Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, the Mardi Gras celebration is known as:

A Mardi Gras

B Brazil Day

C Carnival

Question 10:

This relatively small country features one of the largest Carnival celebrations in the world:

A Jamaica

B Trinidad and Tobago

C Grenada

DONT LOOK HERE UNTIL YOU WANT ANSWERS!!!

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>>

>>>

>>>>

>>>>>

>>>>>>

>>>>>

>>>>

>>>

>>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

NO PEEKING!!!

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>>

>>>

>>>>

>>>

>>

>

>

>

>

>

Answers:

Question 1: A

Correct answer: "Fat Tuesday"

"Mardi Gras" is French for "Fat Tuesday," the day before Ash Wednesday. As the last day before the fasting season of Lent, it is the last time to feast and be merry.

Question 2: A

Correct answer: Shrove Tuesday

Shrove Tuesday, the day before Ash Wednesday, is the religious name for Mardi Gras. Whitsunday is an English name for Pentecost, an important Jewish and Christian feast that falls later in the spring.

Question 3: B

Correct answer: French Quarter

New Orleans's fabled French Quarter, a neighborhood along Bourbon Street, is the center of Mardi Gras activities. The Latin Quarter is a famous section of Paris, while "Sin City" is a name applied to any wild town, especially Las Vegas.

Question 4: A

Correct answer: jazz

Around 1900 in New Orleans there was increasing interaction between poor black musicians, whose drum playing was influenced by African musical styles, and mixed-race Creoles, who were trained in European classical music. The fusion of the various traditions created jazz, which soon spread up the Mississippi River to Memphis and Chicago, and across the country to Harlem, New York. Today many marching bands play New Orleans jazz, or Dixieland, when they march through the city during Mardi Gras.

Question 5: C

Correct answer: krewes

"Krewe" is a fanciful spelling of "crew." In 1857 a group of men founded the Krewe of Comus, because they feared the wild antics at Mardi Gras would prompt the authorities to stop the celebrations. They felt a secret organization might have a better chance of surviving. Since then, a number of other krewes have been established.

Question 6:A

Correct answer: plastic baby

King Cakes are large, round cinnamon rolls covered with white icing and sprinkled with the Mardi Gras colors. A plastic baby the size of an almond is hidden inside. Whoever finds the baby is the next king or queen and must host the next King Cake party.

Question 7:C

Correct answer: purple, green, and gold, in honor of the Russian royal family

In 1872 Russian grand duke Alexis Romanoff visited New Orleans during Mardi Gras. A group of businessmen organized the Krewe of Rex to hold a parade and named a king and queen for the day, a tradition that has endured. They also used the colors of the House of Romanoff: purple for justice, green for faith, and gold for power. These have remained the official colors of Mardi Gras.

Question 8:C

Correct answer: doubloons

Doubloons, the name of old Spanish gold coins, are decorated with the logos of the different krewes and tossed to parade spectators. They are highly sought after. Centimes are former French coins of small denomination.

Question 9:C

Correct answer: Carnival

Correct!

The Brazilian celebration is called Carnival. Portuguese immigrants first celebrated Carnival in Rio in the early 1800s with a game called entrudo, during which poor people sprayed each other with mud and sewage, while the elite used perfume sprays. The first masked ball was held in 1840, while the first street parades took place a few years later. They have evolved into a vast spectacle involving thousands of participants and hundreds of thousands of spectators. Samba schools, usually representing poor neighborhoods, compete in an official parade, preparing lavish floats featuring dozens of costumed dancers.

Question 10:B

Correct answer: Trinidad and Tobago

Correct!

The Port of Spain in Trinidad and Tobago boasts one of the world's largest Carnival celebrations, dating back to the arrival of French planters in the late 1700s. Today, the Carnival season begins soon after Christmas and reaches a crescendo on Carnival Tuesday. The festivities feature plenty of calypso music, often played by Trinidad's distinctive steel-drum bands.

Very cool! Thanks for posting this. It was fun!

Come get your beads for the celebration!!! :D

hurrah for beeeaads!!!!

horatio, you need to c'mon down (or up depending on what part of florida you live in) to louisiana and celebrate mardi gras!

there will be

gumbo

beads

doubloons

beads

crawfish

parades

seafood

king cake

and all kinds of awesome stuff to do!

New Orleans gets a little crazy with drunk people though, so id watch out for that

or you could go to somewhere like Crowley or Rayne for a Cajun Mardi gras which is completely different (and a lot of fun) then NOLA's mardi gras

so yes

EVERYONE should come to mardi gras!

hurrah for beeeaads!!!!

horatio, you need to c'mon down (or up depending on what part of florida you live in) to louisiana and celebrate mardi gras!

there will be

gumbo

beads

doubloons

beads

crawfish

parades

seafood

king cake

New Orleans gets a little crazy with drunk people though, so id watch out for that

or you could go to somewhere like Crowley or Rayne for a Cajun Mardi gras which is completely different (and a lot of fun) then NOLA's mardi gras

so yes

I would have to come up, over and then down. :lol:

My cage is near Cape Canaveral or Cocoa Beach... east of Orlando.

Seriously, I would really like to celebrate a Cajun Mardi Gras. Crowley or Rayne... now I will have to look those places up.

hurrah for beeeaads!!!!

there will be

gumbo

beads

doubloons

beads

crawfish

parades

seafood

king cake

so yes

Seriously, I would really like to celebrate a Cajun Mardi Gras. Crowley or Rayne... now I will have to look those places up.

they are a little scary at first

people speaking french all over, and then a cajun band

and then the traditional "what ever you catch goes into the gumbo" thing

but now they dont actually slaughter the pigs and chickens you catch, you just let them go again on someones farm

hurrah for beeeaads!!!!

there will be

gumbo

beads

doubloons

beads

crawfish

parades

seafood

king cake

so yes

they are a little scary at first

people speaking french all over, and then a cajun band

and then the traditional "what ever you catch goes into the gumbo" thing

but now they dont actually slaughter the pigs and chickens you catch, you just let them go again on someones farm

I wouldn't want to know that the animal I caught, just got slaughtered. Letting it go and continue life on someone's farm makes me much happier.

I knew all of them. But I guess it's kinda cheating 'cause I lived in New Orleans for a lot of my youth.

Aaaaaahhhhhhhh! You never divulged your secret life as a youth. And I thought you were a born in Florida person. :lol:

BTW, for all you comma counters, I left out all of the commas from the above, just so you wouldn't laugh too hard. :lol:

I knew all of them. But I guess it's kinda cheating 'cause I lived in New Orleans for a lot of my youth.

Aaaaaahhhhhhhh! You never divulged your secret life as a youth. And I thought you were a born in Florida person. :lol:

BTW, for all you comma counters, I left out all of the commas from the above, just so you wouldn't laugh too hard. :lol:

Well, I was born in Kissimee, but we moved when I was around 3ish.

You seemed to pack a lot of commas in the second sentence, though. xD

Well, I was born in Kissimee, but we moved when I was around 3ish.

You seemed to pack a lot of commas in the second sentence, though. xD

:lol: I knew it! :lol:

That New Orleans stuff doesn't fool me.

Pack a lot of commas????????? Three. I will find the post where I have a bakers dozen or so.

These are just for you.