Hampsterdance Discussion Board

Story, attempt 2.

It was a cold, crisp summer’s morn.

Normally people don’t associate ‘summer’ with ‘cold’, but considering the occasion, no other word would fit.

A man lay on his bed, coughing relentlessly and with a fever that was estimated to be well past the point of fatality, as his physic had assured with unintentional cruelty in his words.

‘The only thing that could possibly keep him alive now is…’ The physic paused, daring not to speak of such metaphysical forces, but the man croaked the final word of the sentence anyway. The physic bristled internally at having words put into his mouth, but said nothing.

‘Adonys!’ cried a woman, anguished, next to his bed. The man looked over at her face and smiled crookedly, an odd smile where it seemed like his top lip wanted to frown, but the bottom lip wanted to smile, creating an oddly sad grin-like expression. He sighed and opened his mouth slightly, but nothing came forth but a loud and dire cough.

‘Adonys…’ she repeated, releasing a sad sigh as she spoke the name.

He tried again, and this time his words came out.

‘As long as you remain, I’ll remain,’ he murmured, and gave her another crooked smile.

That crooked smile was the very expression that he had when he looked up to her, five years before, when they had met for the very first time. He had just found out his dog had run away, and his eyes were red, his cheeks stained with tears. He was 13 and believed such actions as crying to be immature, but he missed the touch of his canine friend’s fur so much, that he couldn’t help shuddering as another sob wracked his body.

‘Here,’ a young girl had said, walking over to the unknown boy and crouching close to him, ‘what’s wrong?’

The boy looked up at her and smiled oddly, and the girl frowned, finding his expression confusing. She was unsure how to feel for the boy, whether she should be happy for him, as he appeared to be happy, sorry for him, as his wide and bloodshot eye pleaded, or angry with him, as his crooked smile could also be seen as an attempt to conceal a snicker, which would mean she had been deceived. She found that the confusion that his expression provided her was alluring. However, her answers to his feelings were soon answered as he tried unsuccessfully to stifle a sob.

‘M…My dog ran away,’ he admitted, and giggled a little, ‘I guess I’m overreacting a little for a dog?’ He sobbed a little more and sniffed.

The girl simply smiled back, her expression full of empathy.

‘My cat ran away two years ago, when I was twelve. I was devastated,’ she grinned at admitting that, as if sadness were an infantile emotion to her as well. ‘I searched and searched for where my cat could have gone, but he was nowhere to be found… On the night I had given up hope, though, I was walking home alone, crying, when an older boy walked up to me and asked what was wrong. I told him about my cat, and then he grinned, told me a story about this odd cat he had found wondering around, and presented him to me. Needless to say, I was overjoyed! It was indeed my cat, and had probably just gotten a little lost.’ The girl smiled down at the boy.

‘Why are you telling me this?’ The boy asked, and had unconsciously paused his sobbing to listen to her tale.

‘Because history may repeat itself,’ she said, grinning, as she presented a puppy. ‘I saw this little guy walking around, he seemed a little lost. Do you have any idea where his owner could be found?’

‘I think I know,’ he replied, beaming gleefully. He took the puppy into his hands and it licked his tearful face, getting a giggle in reply. The boy and his dog both looked back at the kindly girl.

‘What’s your name, to bring me such luck?’ the boy asked.

‘Nina,’ said the girl matter-of-factly, ‘and what is yours?’

‘Adonys,’ the boy stated, and gave her another crooked smile.

(Hurray for inspiration...)

(You should read the book Myrren's Gift by Fiona McIntosh. It's very good.)

(And if you look at her last name for long enough, you may well burst out laughing like I did.)

(Anyway. I'm all settled in my new house. It's very nice. Unfortunately, the file I had where I was writing The Katz Club got lost, so I'll leave that to Glowwy's superior on-the-spot writing skills.)

(This wasn't actually on the spot, I wrote it all yesterday. Though I haven't actually gone through it and improved it at all, only proof read it, so I suppose it's just as good. =P)