Hampsterdance Discussion Board

Leguan's place

Horatio

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is Leguan's topic. I tried to merge the two topics and messed up.

Leguan, please make one more topic and I won't use the merge function. I promise.

Lol. Isn't it possible to separate them again?

Or should I make a new topic and you delete this one? :huh:

BTW, what happened to my post count? Well, I don't care much about it, but I was just wondering why there are that few posts because I have been very active a few years ago. :lol:

This is Leguan's topic. I tried to merge the two topics and messed up.

Leguan, please make one more topic and I won't use the merge function. I promise.

Lol. Isn't it possible to separate them again?

Or should I make a new topic and you delete this one? :huh:

BTW, what happened to my post count? Well, I don't care much about it, but I was just wondering why there are that few posts because I have been very active a few years ago. :lol:

I tried to un-merge them and it didn't work.

I would prefer you make a new topic as I am unable to delete my post.

As for your post count, do you remember about what it was? HampsterKing upgraded the boards and the boards just decided to change everyone's post numbers.

If you let me know, HampsterKing will fix it up for you.

I tried to un-merge them and it didn't work.

I would prefer you make a new topic as I am unable to delete my post.

As for your post count, do you remember about what it was? HampsterKing upgraded the boards and the boards just decided to change everyone's post numbers.

If you let me know, HampsterKing will fix it up for you.

Well, I think this topic is ok, too. If you wish so I can of course make another one.

I can't remember my post count, but it isn't important. I was just wondering. ^^

You're back! Yay! *glomps* How are things?

Fine. I've written something about my current situation in the rare appearances folder.

I'll make a topic.

Uh, a picture of myself- do I have something like this? Let me search.

However, then you must also post a picture of yourself. :P:lol:

Done. Now it's your turn, Horatio. I'm curious. ;)

Here you go...

DSCN3675.JPG

My hair is a little messy, but that's me. :lol:

I'll make a topic.

Here you go...

post-678-1195088933_thumb.jpg

awww I wanna pet you.

Hi Leguan. I don't think we've met but my name is Mushroom_king. I hope we can be friends.

I'll make a topic.

Here you go...

DSCN3675.JPG

awww I wanna pet you.

Hi Leguan. I don't think we've met but my name is Mushroom_king. I hope we can be friends.

Please pet me up around my ears... that is my favorite part.

I'll make a topic.

Here you go...

awww I wanna pet you.

Please pet me up around my ears... that is my favorite part.

o_O

Here you go...

Lol. ^^

Nice idea. But what about a picture of the owner of Horatio? :lol:

Or don't you want to show one?

Well, at the latest I'll see you when we'll be riding in the Eifel. ;)

BTW, when will you move to Paris? And I didn't ask you yet why you will move there- because of your job? I even can't remember which job you are doing, I think you told me a long time ago. :huh:

Of course we can be friends.

I think my active period was before you have registered. My registration here was in August 2002- at the day this board was opened. There was another one before, but all the posts there are lost when the software was changed. Well I think I've been posting frequently for one or two years, so this was before you registrated here in 2005.

Here you go...

DSCN3675.JPG

Lol. ^^

Nice idea. But what about a picture of the owner of Horatio? :lol:

Or don't you want to show one?

Well, at the latest I'll see you when we'll be riding in the Eifel. ;)

BTW, when will you move to Paris? And I didn't ask you yet why you will move there- because of your job? I even can't remember which job you are doing, I think you told me a long time ago. :huh:

That is me... :rolleyes: on my BMW wannabe. LOL

Seriously, if I could find a picture I liked, I would post it. But the chances of that happening are...

slim and none. LOL

FedEx Airbus Captain is my job. And they are opening up a domicile and I have bid for it.

*crosses paws*

If there are a bunch of senior guys who want it, I won't stand a chance. Otherwise, I could very well be moving in April 2008.

Seriously, if I could find a picture I liked, I would post it. But the chances of that happening are...

slim and none. LOL

FedEx Airbus Captain is my job. And they are opening up a domicile and I have bid for it.

*crosses paws*

If there are a bunch of senior guys who want it, I won't stand a chance. Otherwise, I could very well be moving in April 2008.

Ah, now I remember.

How long are you already flying? And which Airbus do you fly?

Well, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. :D

slim and none. LOL

*crosses paws*

Ah, now I remember.

How long? LOL... that is one of those questions that would give away the fact that I am not in university. LOL

I fly the A300 and A310.

My routes were Paris to various parts of Europe and the Middle East.

How long? LOL... that is one of those questions that would give away the fact that I am not in university. LOL

I fly the A300 and A310.

Lol, so I guess not very long?

The A310. My sister had an internship at the Luftwaffe (air force) base in Cologne, there they also have this Airbus. She wants to be an aircraft technician.

So you already spend most of your time in Paris?

I fly the A300 and A310.

Lol, so I guess not very long? Good guess!!! LOL

The A310. My sister had an internship at the Luftwaffe (air force) base in Cologne, there they also have this Airbus. She wants to be an aircraft technician.

Paris, Cologne, Frankfurt (Mainz and Bad Homburg), Milano, Munchen, Tel Aviv, Copenhagen, Stockholm, to name a few.

Your sister would have a great career as an aircraft technician. I could then introduce her to some of the people at FedEx and perhaps she could

work with us!!!!! :D

Of course we can be friends.

I think my active period was before you have registered. My registration here was in August 2002- at the day this board was opened. There was another one before, but all the posts there are lost when the software was changed. Well I think I've been posting frequently for one or two years, so this was before you registrated here in 2005.

*~*The Grand Illusion*~*The Final Cut*~*

YEY

Well, that's a long time before I came here.

Though I've heard other peoples mention you, and I may have read a few of your older posts in the Best friends of Horatio club tawpeek (Which I once made an insane attempt to read every page of, and I did o_o)

Oh yea btw I'm a girl. I have to say that

*~*The Psychedelic Luau*~*The Astronomy Domine*~*

...Best friends of Horatio club tawpeek (Which I once made an insane attempt to read every page of, and I did o_o)

*gives Mushroom_king an award for reading every post of my topic*

Here is your Platinum Planet Award! I feel very special you read them all. :)

I fly the A300 and A310.

Paris, Cologne, Frankfurt (Mainz and Bad Homburg), Milano, Munchen, Tel Aviv, Copenhagen, Stockholm, to name a few.

Your sister would have a great career as an aircraft technician. I could then introduce her to some of the people at FedEx and perhaps she could

Oh man.

Now I want to be a pilot so I can go to all of theose places! =]

I fly the A300 and A310.

Oh man.

Now I want to be a pilot so I can go to all of theose places! =]

Not only to you get to go all these places, you get paid to do this!!!

slim and none. LOL

*crosses paws*

Ah, now I remember.

I fly the A300 and A310.

Ooh, the airplane I took to florida was an Airbus A320, I think. It was spiffy. ^_^ I would love to be a pilot, I think it would be tons of fun. ^_^ Maybe someday I'll have the time and money to get my pilot's liscence...

slim and none. LOL

*crosses paws*

Ah, now I remember.

I fly the A300 and A310.

Ooh, the airplane I took to florida was an Airbus A320, I think. It was spiffy. ^_^ I would love to be a pilot, I think it would be tons of fun. ^_^ Maybe someday I'll have the time and money to get my pilot's liscence...

I think you should definitely become a pilot. :)

slim and none. LOL

*crosses paws*

Ah, now I remember.

I fly the A300 and A310.

lol so do I. :P My dad's a pilot, although his liscence isn't current (he's only flying ultralights right now, normal planes are too expensive, and mom would kill him if he bought a plane before fixing the house, car, [insert project here]. But yeah, if I have the chance to learn how to fly, I will. When I was little, my parents used to joke that I'd be getting my pilots liscence before my driving liscence. For normal airplanes at least, it doesn't seem too much more difficult than driving a car, and according to DMV, I'm capable of at least that much. :rolleyes:

...Best friends of Horatio club tawpeek (Which I once made an insane attempt to read every page of, and I did o_o)

*gives Mushroom_king an award for reading every post of my topic*

Here is your Platinum Planet Award! I feel very special you read them all. :)

*~*The Grand Illusion*~*The Final Cut*~*

Jeez it's been a while since I got an award o_o

-goes to update siggy-

slim and none. LOL

*crosses paws*

Ah, now I remember.

I fly the A300 and A310.

lol so do I. :P My dad's a pilot, although his liscence isn't current (he's only flying ultralights right now, normal planes are too expensive, and mom would kill him if he bought a plane before fixing the house, car, [insert project here]. But yeah, if I have the chance to learn how to fly, I will. When I was little, my parents used to joke that I'd be getting my pilots liscence before my driving liscence. For normal airplanes at least, it doesn't seem too much more difficult than driving a car, and according to DMV, I'm capable of at least that much. :rolleyes:

Flying is much easier than driving. The great thing is that you do not have to deal with all those other "drivers".

slim and none. LOL

*crosses paws*

Ah, now I remember.

I fly the A300 and A310.

Flying is much easier than driving. The great thing is that you do not have to deal with all those other "drivers".

Haha true, not unless you *really* mess up. :rolleyes:

slim and none. LOL

*crosses paws*

Ah, now I remember.

I fly the A300 and A310.

Haha true, not unless you *really* mess up. :rolleyes:

Well, that could happen. :lol:

How long does the apprenticeship take until you get the license?

Flying is easier than driving? Is this because of the autopilot?

There are various stages of licensing. You begin with a private pilot license, then instrument, commercial, multi-engine and finally airline transport pilot.

You can do this slow or fast, depending on money and time. The shortest time would be to go about two to three times a week. You need a minimum of

40 hours for the private pilot license, most people end up with more, but this is the minimum. So ideally, you could fly about 3 to 5 hours per week, until

you do your cross-country trips, then you will fly much more in one day. Two to three months providing weather cooperates is the shortest time I believe.

As for the other certificates, the commercial is about 200 or 250 depending on what type school you attend.

The airline transport pilot is a total of 1500 hours, but you get these hours by someone paying you to fly for them. Some airlines will hire you once you

receive your commercial and have 250 hours.

Flying is much easier because you don't have crazy drivers on their cell phones, watching DVDs while using the GPS to figure out where they are going.

Plus no one runs red lights or stop signs and endangers your life. The joke is that when a pilot gets killed, it is usually on his way home from the airport,

not up in the air.

The joke is that when a pilot gets killed, it is usually on his way home from the airport,

not up in the air.

Haha that is excellent! :lol: It's so true though. The scariest part of driving is the other cars!

So true. Today I saw a woman with her left foot up on the seat and she had her phone in her left hand, was texting with her right hand and...

probably steering with her right knee. I can only guess. :blink::o:blink::o:blink:

Have you ever flown to, gah. What's it called? St. Maarten. Princess Juliana or something.

With the runway so close to the beach and all. I saw some videos where the jets come

in really low and it looks really cool.

Absolutely! I love St. Maarten. It is really beautiful!!!!!

Interesting fact... one-half the island is French, the other half is Dutch.

I recently got the Microsft Flight Sim Game and I have managed to crash every time I tried to land, so I'm not sure a pilot is the job for me. =P

From what I understand, landing is the hardest part of flying, so don't worry about that. :P

:lol: A good landing is any one you can walk away from. :lol:

• 4 months later...

Hi.

Just wanted to tell you that I'm still alive. :D

I started with my bachelor thesis and had a lot of stuff to do recently.

Well, it's really cool working on my own small research project.

I hope you all had a happy easter.

Unless we didn't have white christmas here, now we had white easter. :lol: It was the first time that we had snow (except for some sleet) since 2006. In the night to yesterday it snowed, in the afternoon everthing was molten. In the night it snowed again, melting again. This afternoon it snowed again and some snow is remaining at the moment. However, for this night they announced snow again... Absolutely weird. Last year we had about 20°C at this time and made the first barbecue. :D

Greetz from Cologne,

Leguan

Hi.

Unless we didn't have white christmas here, now we had white easter. :lol: It was the first time that we had snow (except for some sleet) since 2006. In the night to yesterday it snowed, in the afternoon everthing was molten. In the night it snowed again, melting again. This afternoon it snowed again and some snow is remaining at the moment. However, for this night they announced snow again... Absolutely weird. Last year we had about 20°C at this time and made the first barbecue. :D

Greetz from Cologne,

Leguan

Greetings back!!! Hope you had a nice Easter.

Sorry about the crazy weather. I'm sure you would like to be in nice weather for the bike. The sleet, slush and ice make for days I would keep the bike inside. Do you have special tires for this kind of riding? BMW makes a heated suit. Now that is something I would love!!!

Within three months, I should be over in your town! If I had my motorcycle over there, we could go riding together.

Not much is happening over here. Things are slow. It is always great to see you post, it makes me think of when I lived in Berlin.

Great times!!!

Good luck on that research project. I am certain you will be a tremendous success!!!!!

Let us know if we can do anything to help.

Horatio

Hi.

Greetz from Cologne,

Leguan

Sorry about the crazy weather. I'm sure you would like to be in nice weather for the bike. The sleet, slush and ice make for days I would keep the bike inside. Do you have special tires for this kind of riding? BMW makes a heated suit. Now that is something I would love!!!

Within three months, I should be over in your town! If I had my motorcycle over there, we could go riding together.

Not much is happening over here. Things are slow. It is always great to see you post, it makes me think of when I lived in Berlin.

Great times!!!

Good luck on that research project. I am certain you will be a tremendous success!!!!!

Horatio

No, I don't have special tires. I just have heating grips. :D

Well, at the moment the weather doesn't bother me because my bike needs some repair after my crash last month...

In a bend I lost the grip on lane grooves at approx. 50km/h and slided into an acre. Not much happened to me, just some hematomas. My clothes (textile suit) were damaged and at my bike one turn signal got smashed and the handlebar plus its hanging got deformed. I already fixed the turn signal, but the rest needs to be done by a mechanic.

I was lucky, some days later my brother (he had the same motorcycle) crashed into a car when the brake blocked because of the slippery road (first rain since weeks...). His bike is completely damaged and he had to stay in hospital with a concussion for three days.

Hi.

Greetz from Cologne,

Leguan

Great times!!!

Horatio

No, I don't have special tires. I just have heating grips. :D

Well, at the moment the weather doesn't bother me because my bike needs some repair after my crash last month...

In a bend I lost the grip on lane grooves at approx. 50km/h and slided into an acre. Not much happened to me, just some hematomas. My clothes (textile suit) were damaged and at my bike one turn signal got smashed and the handlebar plus its hanging got deformed. I already fixed the turn signal, but the rest needs to be done by a mechanic.

I was lucky, some days later my brother (he had the same motorcycle) crashed into a car when the brake blocked because of the slippery road (first rain since weeks...). His bike is completely damaged and he had to stay in hospital with a concussion for three days.

:o:o:o

Oh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad to know you weren't hurt. Hematomas go away. Hope your brother is doing better. He will need to get a totally new bike, as I guess his bike is no longer rideable. The suit I like the best is by Dainese. They make a great leather jacket and pants.

Yes, he bought a small 250ccm Kawasaki because it was the cheapest he could get at the moment. He wants to repair his bike because it is his first one...

The Dainese suits are great. I'm also thinking to buy one because leather protects much more than textile as I figured out in my little selftest. My leather gloves and boots only had some scratches whereas the textile pants and jacket had holes up to the protectors.

Ok, now I have to go to sleep, it is 1:30 am. :D

Hi.

Greetz from Cologne,

Leguan

*~*the Grand Illusion*~*The Final Cut*~*

it's the rainy season here in Duh-ssouri. We had a bad rainstorm last week and my basement flooded. I couldn't shower and all my pants and unda-wears were in the basement, too.

...Leguan, random question: What is your opinion on the subject of sweater vests and bowl haircuts?

@mushroom king:

Interesting question. :D Well, I don't like both.

@jesusfreak: I'm doing the thesis at the Institute for Genetics of the University of Cologne. It is about a special case of transcriptional (in transcription, a messenger RNA is produced from a DNA template) silencing by a repressor molecule in the model organism Escherischia coli, a bacterium which usually lives in the intestine of animals.

@mushroom king:

@jesusfreak: I'm doing the thesis at the Institute for Genetics of the University of Cologne. It is about a special case of transcriptional (in transcription, a messenger RNA is produced from a DNA template) silencing by a repressor molecule in the model organism Escherischia coli, a bacterium which usually lives in the intestine of animals.

You are astounding!!! Such a difficult thesis! How long will this take and where will you be published?

@mushroom king:

In laymans terms...

@horatio:

It is only a small three month project. :D

I don't think that it will be published, if I get good results perhaps together with results from other members of the research group as a part of a paper in some scientific journal.

The bachelor thesis is rather to show that you can apply the stuff you learned by doing a small project. Of course it is always nice to have some good results. However, sometimes experiments fail and even the most experienced professor doesn't know why. That's science. Due to this fact, the results are more or less secondary if your argumentation and the design of the experiments was well done. ^^

The results are getting more important in the master thesis (6 month, afer 1,5 years of additional study) and of course in the Ph.D. thesis (3-4 years).

@cheesemaster:

I already tried... :lol:

That's the problem I always have. When people ask me what I am doing, it is hard to explain because this is so specific that you need a certain background knowledge to understand it.

Ok, let me try.

DNA is the kind of molecule which encodes the genetic information- something like a data storage device. Because this data is very important for each cell of your body, it is protected by a nuclear envelope. The DNA encodes the information required to synthesize proteins, the molecules which exert most of the cellular functions. For example, all enzymes are proteins which control all the biochemical reactions in your body. The cells are stabilized by structural proteins. Other proteins act as signal molecules (e.g. hormons) and so on.

Proteins are synthesized in the cytoplasm.

Short summary: Information for the synthesis of proteins is located in the cell nucleus- protected by an envelope. Protein synthesis machinery is located in the cytoplasm. This means that the nuclear envelope separates both.

Now you need to get the information from the data storage (DNA) to the protein synthesis machinery. As I mentioned, the DNA is the most precious thing the cell has- it never leaves the nucleus. This means that you need a copy of the part of the DNA which is needed for the protein the cell wants to sythesize. This copy is a special kind of RNA (another data storage molecule), the messenger RNA. This mRNA is sythesized by an enzyme (RNA-polymerase) in a reaction called transcription. Now this mRNA is transported into the cytoplasm where it provides the data for the protein to be synthesized.

That's basically what happens. Now there is a number of regulatory processes influencing all this stuff and modifying gene expression. One of them is the regulation of transcription- the production of the messenger RNA. The cell has a huge number of molecules regulating this step.

What I do is to determine how this regulation is done for one specific gene by one specific molecule in the model organism (check wikipedia for a nice explanation of this term) Escherischia coli, a bacterium.

I hope you are not too confused, I tried my best to explain it as simple as possible.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

@horatio:

I don't think that it will be published, if I get good results perhaps together with results from other members of the research group as a part of a paper in some scientific journal.

The bachelor thesis is rather to show that you can apply the stuff you learned by doing a small project. Of course it is always nice to have some good results. However, sometimes experiments fail and even the most experienced professor doesn't know why. That's science. Due to this fact, the results are more or less secondary if your argumentation and the design of the experiments was well done. ^^

The results are getting more important in the master thesis (6 month, afer 1,5 years of additional study) and of course in the Ph.D. thesis (3-4 years).

@cheesemaster:

That's the problem I always have. When people ask me what I am doing, it is hard to explain because this is so specific that you need a certain background knowledge to understand it.

Ok, let me try.

DNA is the kind of molecule which encodes the genetic information- something like a data storage device. Because this data is very important for each cell of your body, it is protected by a nuclear envelope. The DNA encodes the information required to synthesize proteins, the molecules which exert most of the cellular functions. For example, all enzymes are proteins which control all the biochemical reactions in your body. The cells are stabilized by structural proteins. Other proteins act as signal molecules (e.g. hormons) and so on.

Short summary: Information for the synthesis of proteins is located in the cell nucleus- protected by an envelope. Protein synthesis machinery is located in the cytoplasm. This means that the nuclear envelope separates both.

Now you need to get the information from the data storage (DNA) to the protein synthesis machinery. As I mentioned, the DNA is the most precious thing the cell has- it never leaves the nucleus. This means that you need a copy of the part of the DNA which is needed for the protein the cell wants to sythesize. This copy is a special kind of RNA (another data storage molecule), the messenger RNA. This mRNA is sythesized by an enzyme (RNA-polymerase) in a reaction called transcription. Now this mRNA is transported into the cytoplasm where it provides the data for the protein to be synthesized.

That's basically what happens. Now there is a number of regulatory processes influencing all this stuff and modifying gene expression. One of them is the regulation of transcription- the production of the messenger RNA. The cell has a huge number of molecules regulating this step.

What I do is to determine how this regulation is done for one specific gene by one specific molecule in the model organism (check wikipedia for a nice explanation of this term) Escherischia coli, a bacterium.

I hope you are not too confused, I tried my best to explain it as simple as possible.

I feel bad for making you type all that out. x3

I know what dna and rna are, I was just trying to figure out what exaclty was being repressed and what the signficance of it was... xD

Oh, ok. :D

I didn't know that you have background knowledge.

Exact version: The transcription of some genes by RNA polymerase is repressed by a specific repressor molecule binding to a regulatory element located within the gene. This means that the gene is silenced by the repressor molecule.

I am figuring out at which step of transcription the repression which leads to the silencing occurs exactly.

The gene I am investigating encodes an enzyme required for the fermentation of special sugars. If these sugars aren't available in the environment, there is no need to have the enzyme, it just costs energy to produce it. This means that it is better for the cell to silence the corresponding gene.

Exact version: The transcription of some genes by RNA polymerase is repressed by a specific repressor molecule binding to a regulatory element located within the gene. This means that the gene is silenced by the repressor molecule.

I am figuring out at which step of transcription the repression which leads to the silencing occurs exactly.

The gene I am investigating encodes an enzyme required for the fermentation of special sugars. If these sugars aren't available in the environment, there is no need to have the enzyme, it just costs energy to produce it. This means that it is better for the cell to silence the corresponding gene.

Sounds interesting.

See, that is all you needed to say. xD

See, that is all you needed to say. xD

He didn't know your level of knowledge, so I think Leguan helped others with the longer explanation.

Thanks!!!

Ooh fun! That's the type of stuff we were learning in my cell bio class right before I dropped it. (I understood the material, but the quizzes were impossible to pass, and the teacher didn't know how to teach. I decided it wasn't worth my GPA.)

@jesse:

Well, I don't know exactly, depends on how detailed I have to do it. Absolute standard techniques I use (e.g. DNA/RNA extraction, PCR, gel electrophoresis) will be just mentioned and not further explained. However, other not so common techniques (e.g. RNA probe synthesis, labeling and non-radioactive detection with special imager devices) will be explained more detailed. I expect 30+ pages.

@jesusfreak: Yes, with a bad teacher it isn't fun. Whether something is interesting or not often depends more on the teacher than the subject itself.

@horatio:

Mir geht es gut. (I'm fine). :D

I love translation software. Always sounds so funny. :lol:

Correct version: Guten Nachmittag Leguan. Wie geht es dir?

"Wie geht es Ihnen" is also correct. It is the formal address. For people you know, you use the informal version. This distiction doesn't exist in english. For more information check wikipedia for "T-V distinction". That's one of the causes why german is difficult to learn for foreign speakers.

@horatio:

"Wie geht es Ihnen" is also correct. It is the formal address. For people you know, you use the informal version. This distiction doesn't exist in english. For more information check wikipedia for "T-V distinction". That's one of the causes why german is difficult to learn for foreign speakers.

Those translation software can sometimes make really hilarious translations. I have a couple friends, French and Italian, and they always laugh when I send them the translated version of their language. I also must include the English version because sometimes the sentences don't make any sense.

@horatio:

Those translation software can sometimes make really hilarious translations. I have a couple friends, French and Italian, and they always laugh when I send them the translated version of their language. I also must include the English version because sometimes the sentences don't make any sense.

I'm physically unable to learn a foreign language.

@horatio:

:blink: How is that possible? :blink:

@horatio:

@cheesemaster:

Ok, let me try.

I love all that stuff.

I'm taking Chemistry right now, which bores me to death,

but next year I'm taking AP Biology. I loved learning about that stuff.

Now I know who I can come to when I have trouble. :D

@horatio:

I just can't. I've tried Learning French, Spanish, and German. No luck. Doesn't help that some colleges require two years of a language.

@horatio:

I just can't. I've tried Learning French, Spanish, and German. No luck. Doesn't help that some colleges require two years of a language.

I do know what would work for you... if you could start singing songs written in those languages. With your musical talent, you would pick up the languages right away. It would just be the conjugation of verbs that would be a memorization item.

@horatio:

I do know what would work for you... if you could start singing songs written in those languages. With your musical talent, you would pick up the languages right away. It would just be the conjugation of verbs that would be a memorization item.

I just stumbled through two years of spanish. And I abhored it. xD

And I love my chemistry class, but mostly because I have an awesome teacher and some awesome friends in the class. Plus I find science to be fun. x3

@tbfof:

So many languages. Very good.

I had english, French and Latin at school.

My French is very bad (can't remember much, my last French lesson was nearly 5 years ago)) and Latin is useful for technical terms in science, but it is a dead language.

However, my English is improving since I am forced to speak it. ^^ In the lab there are Ph.D. students from India and Belarus who don't speak any German and also all the lectures and courses in the advanced study period (starting from 5th semester, I am in the 6th) are in English, too. I'm considering whether I should write my thesis in English or in German. English would be better, but it takes much more time and I'm doing much more mistakes (my German grammar orthography is very good, in English I am not a quarter as good as you can see :D ).

Now I know who I can come to when I have trouble.

Chemistry is ok. Actually, the borders between Biology and Chemistry are faint. I had to do many Chemistry courses. In total, I have done as much Chemistry as Chemistry students in their first one and a half semesters.

If you have any questions- give it to me. I'll try my best to answer them. ^^

@tbfof:

So many languages. Very good.

I had english, French and Latin at school.

My French is very bad (can't remember much, my last French lesson was nearly 5 years ago)) and Latin is useful for technical terms in science, but it is a dead language.

However, my English is improving since I am forced to speak it. ^^ In the lab there are Ph.D. students from India and Belarus who don't speak any German and also all the lectures and courses in the advanced study period (starting from 5th semester, I am in the 6th) are in English, too. I'm considering whether I should write my thesis in English or in German. English would be better, but it takes much more time and I'm doing much more mistakes (my German grammar orthography is very good, in English I am not a quarter as good as you can see :D ).

Now I know who I can come to when I have trouble.

Chemistry is ok. Actually, the borders between Biology and Chemistry are faint. I had to do many Chemistry courses. In total, I have done as much Chemistry as Chemistry students in their first one and a half semesters.

If you have any questions- give it to me. I'll try my best to answer them. ^^

*~8The Grand Illusion*~*The Final Cut*~*

I love Science, and I want to take Biology and Chemistry in High School, but...Science is the one core class I didn't get honors in. I quit Orchestra, which leaves free space on my schedule...hm...

On the other hand, I'm gonna take Sociology. ;D Fun.

*~*The Psychedelic Luau*~*The Astronomy Domine*~

For the most part, your English is better than most native English speakers. :rolleyes:

For the most part, your English is better than most native English speakers. :rolleyes:

That is true for the majority of Germans who learn English as a second language.

That is true for the majority of Germans who learn English as a second language.

When I go to Europe for my vacations, most of the people there can speak good English.

Thank you.

However, I have to admit that my written English is much better than my spoken English which is a little slow. When writing here I can also use my online dictionary if I don't know a word. This doesn't work in a conversation. :huh:

I think it is true for the majority of people learning any foreign language if they really want to learn it and are not only forced to take lessons at school.

Everbody (!) in Germany has English for at least five years at school. Did you expect this after your experiences when you have been in Germany? I guess not, for many people the lessons at school are just an inevitable evil.

I guess not, for many people the lessons at school are just an inevitable evil.

I suppose they must seem that way sometimes! English is a really tough language, there do not seem to be any rules to it. Even if it was my first language I had to learn it second-handed because of a speech impediment, and man it was tough! Learning French felt pretty easy in comparison (though I haven't had anyone to use it with in person so my accent is horrible).

• 3 months later...

Hi.

I'm fine. Tomorrow I'll submit my bachelor thesis. In August I'll have the defense and then my bachelor studies are finsihed. Applications for master studies are running.

After all the writing stuff, I'll resume my project in the lab next week. I got a contract as student assistant until master studies start. :)

When are you coming over to the U.S. to ride motorcycles with your favorite hamster?

I wish I could visit you, but this would be way too expensive for me...

Hi.

I'm fine. Tomorrow I'll submit my bachelor thesis. In August I'll have the defense and then my bachelor studies are finsihed. Applications for master studies are running.

After all the writing stuff, I'll resume my project in the lab next week. I got a contract as student assistant until master studies start. :)

When are you coming over to the U.S. to ride motorcycles with your favorite hamster?

I wish I could visit you, but this would be way too expensive for me...

Glad to hear life is treating you well.

Good luck on your bachelor thesis. With all your hard work, I am certain you will be an outstanding success. Hopefully you will be accepted in the master studies field that you desire. The contract as student assistant will be a nice break for you.

As for visiting... my cage door is always open. All you need to do is pay your for your flight over and back. There is plenty of room in my cage.

Please stop back as it is always a pleasure to see your posts.

Wow, thanks for this offer. B)

In which state are you living? I have to check how expensive the flights are. :lol::D

Who knows, maybe next year... :huh:

I'll try, but now I'm going to bed. It is is almost 01:30 am.

Wow, thanks for this offer. B)

In which state are you living? I have to check how expensive the flights are. :lol::D

Who knows, maybe next year... :huh:

I'll try, but now I'm going to bed. It is is almost 01:30 am.

Florida and Tennessee. Tennessee is probably better as there is more to see. Florida has Kennedy Space Center, the beach and Disney World.

If you have a friend, you both, or more, are welcome.

Have a great night's sleep. Stop back anytime. :D

I submitted it. Wow, this feels so good.

Now I can enjoy my free time until next week. B) *opens a Früh Kölsch* :D

Florida and Tennessee. Tennessee is probably better as there is more to see. Florida has Kennedy Space Center, the beach and Disney World.

I'll take you up on this. :lol:

Glad to know you are taking a moment to celebrate.

One week of free time. It will pass by faster than you can imagine.

I hope you do take me up on it. Just as long as you are not organizing a tour bus sized group. My cage won't be able to handle 40 or so guests. :lol:

I hope you do take me up on it. Just as long as you are not organizing a tour bus sized group. My cage won't be able to handle 40 or so guests. :lol:

40? I'll bring 100. :lol:

Just kidding.

When will you be the next time in Cologne? Perhaps we can meet for a Kölsch. Oh, I forgot, you don't like driniking beer. Well, maybe in the winter for a Glühwein? :D

40? I'll bring 100. :lol:

Just kidding.

When will you be the next time in Cologne? Perhaps we can meet for a Kölsch. Oh, I forgot, you don't like driniking beer. Well, maybe in the winter for a Glühwein? :D

100... that's a much better number. Do you like camping? :lol: With 100, you would be sleeping out in the yard.

Hopefully I will be in Cologne in the fall and winter, just in time to run down to Nuremberg for the Christmas festival.

It would be great to get together with you.

I might go to Germany this Fall. Probably berlin sine we didn't go there last time. We're not entirely sure yet, though.

Are you going there for vacation?

Berlin is a nice city. I've been there only once at a school trip in the 10th grade. We had to visit one museum after the other. And there are lots of them... :angry:

However, I liked the "Deutsches Technikmuseum" (german museum of engineering) including the SPECTRUM science center. They have cool exhibits like the replica of the Zuse Z1 computer, a raisin bomber used for the allied airlift after WWII, an old rail depot with locomotives and so on.

If you are interested in stuff like this- visit it. ;)

For a really cool sight over Berlin you can visit the television tower. Better go there at night- otherwise you have to wait really long.

Hopefully I will be in Cologne in the fall and winter, just in time to run down to Nuremberg for the Christmas festival.

Just let me know when you are coming.

However, it may be that I'm not living in Cologne anymore from october. I also applied in other cities for the master studies and I don't know yet where I'll get an university place and if I'll have the choice for which city I'll decide... I have to wait and see. :wacko:

I might go to Germany this Fall. Probably berlin sine we didn't go there last time. We're not entirely sure yet, though.

Berlin is a nice city. I've been there only once at a school trip in the 10th grade. We had to visit one museum after the other. And there are lots of them... :angry:

However, I liked the "Deutsches Technikmuseum" (german museum of engineering) including the SPECTRUM science center. They have cool exhibits like the replica of the Zuse Z1 computer, a raisin bomber used for the allied airlift after WWII, an old rail depot with locomotives and so on.

If you are interested in stuff like this- visit it. ;)

For a really cool sight over Berlin you can visit the television tower. Better go there at night- otherwise you have to wait really long.

Just let me know when you are coming.

However, it may be that I'm not living in Cologne anymore from october. I also applied in other cities for the master studies and I don't know yet where I'll get an university place and if I'll have the choice for which city I'll decide... I have to wait and see. :wacko:

I love the Deutsches Technikmuseum!!!!!!!!!!! One of the most fabulous museums I have ever visited.

Didn't know about the television tower... that will be on my next trip.

Wherever you end up, let me know. We will get together. :)

Berlin is a fantastic city. I lived there and loved every minute of it.

Last year we were going to go to Berlin but we weren't able to, so we went to Frankfurt, which was pretty cool. They have a statue of a tie!

I want to go back to England this year, too. But my mom doesn't like London. Plus we still have to decide which 'new' country we are visiting. My mom wants to go to Prague (I hope I spelled that right) but I don't know where that is...

Berlin is a nice city. I've been there only once at a school trip in the 10th grade. We had to visit one museum after the other. And there are lots of them... mad.gif

If you are interested in stuff like this- visit it. wink.gif

Oooh, Museum of Engineering and Science? I do like that.

And XD at your field trip. My orchestra in High School is going to Germany for an educational field trip to learn about Classical artists and stuff, but I'm not going because I quit orchestra.

Last year we were going to go to Berlin but we weren't able to, so we went to Frankfurt, which was pretty cool. They have a statue of a tie!

I want to go back to England this year, too. But my mom doesn't like London. Plus we still have to decide which 'new' country we are visiting. My mom wants to go to Prague (I hope I spelled that right) but I don't know where that is...

Yes, it is spelled Prague. Praha in Czech. It is the capital of the Czech republic which is in the European Union since 2004. Located to the east of Germany.

I've been there for the graduation trip in the 13th grade. :D

The only museum we were visiting was the Theresienstadt concentration camp.

And an old brewery. :lol:

So we had a lot of free time.

Prague is a fantastic city. So clean. I really liked it. You can buy very cheap stuff on the Asia market. Also beer is very cheap. In the disco it was nearly as cheap as here in the supermarket. B)

A funny thing was that on the return journey, the bus broke down close to the border in the middle of the biggest street prostitution area in Europe. :blink:

Yes, it is spelled Prague. Praha in Czech. It is the capital of the Czech republic which is in the European Union since 2004. Located to the east of Germany.

I've been there for the graduation trip in the 13th grade. :D

The only museum we were visiting was the Theresienstadt concentration camp.

And an old brewery. :lol:

So we had a lot of free time.

Prague is a fantastic city. So clean. I really liked it. You can buy very cheap stuff on the Asia market. Also beer is very cheap. In the disco it was nearly as cheap as here in the supermarket. B)

A funny thing was that on the return journey, the bus broke down close to the border in the middle of the biggest street prostitution area in Europe. :blink:

:lol: What a location to have the bus go kaput. :lol:

at least you had plenty to do while you waited

:o

That was deep.

That was deep.

I'm in shock! :lol:

That was deep.

I say stuff like that all the time. o____________o

That was deep.

I say stuff like that all the time. o____________o

Oh my!

• 1 month later...

Back again and now I am a "Bachelor of Science in Biology". :)

Today I had to give a short (15 min) talk about the results of my research project followed by a 30 min defense.

Guess what I got.

1.0 for both- the written thesis and the talk/defense. Woooohoooo. I din't expect THAT!

Now my final degree is 1.58. That's a "very good" (B). For an "excellent" (A), it needed to be 0.08 better.

Well, I'm not annoyed about this since it is much better than the average which was 2.3 last year.

One of the professors from my thesis committee asked me if I thought about joining the "Fast track Masters/Doctoral Programme". :blink:

Well, I have to think about this since this means lots of work and less free time. However, there could hardly be something better for my career...

I also got admissions for normal Master programmes in Cologne, Bielefeld, Gießen, Hannover and Müster.

Today I had to give a short (15 min) talk about the results of my research project followed by a 30 min defense.

Guess what I got.

1.0 for both- the written thesis and the talk/defense. Woooohoooo. I din't expect THAT!

Now my final degree is 1.58. That's a "very good" (B). For an "excellent" (A), it needed to be 0.08 better.

Well, I'm not annoyed about this since it is much better than the average which was 2.3 last year.

One of the professors from my thesis committee asked me if I thought about joining the "Fast track Masters/Doctoral Programme". :blink:

Well, I have to think about this since this means lots of work and less free time. However, there could hardly be something better for my career...

I also got admissions for normal Master programmes in Cologne, Bielefeld, Gießen, Hannover and Müster.

CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You did so well, I just had to scream at the top of my lungs.

If you want the humble opinion of a hamster, I say join the "Fast Track Masters/Doctoral Programme"! If you don't like it you can always drop out, but you may not have the opportunity to join later on if you turn them down now.

We are so proud of you!!!!!! What a phenomenal post to start my day with. :D

Guess what I got.

Congratulations! I wish I got B's in Science. I like Science but the Class is boooring. <___<

I might take Biology next year though. I'm not allowed to take it this year because I have to take SCIENCE INTRODUCTION!!! first.

Anyway, Congratulations again.

Guess what I got.

Now my final degree is 1.58. That's a "very good" ( B) . For an "excellent" (A), it needed to be 0.08 better.

Wooop! Congrats! Now I have someone to help me with my AP Bio summer work.

Now if only I could find it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.

I got my certificate. I had an average of 1.58. However, they only take the first decimal place into account which means that I got 1.5 which is an A!!!!! B)

Today I finished my work as research assistant during which I continued my project and also earned some money.

I'll make a cake for my farewell on friday, I hope I'll not produce a piece of charcoal. ^^

Now I have some holidays until my Master's courses start in October. I finally decided to stay in Cologne and to try this fast track stuff.

Perhaps I'll do one seven-week practical module in the lab where I worked yet and bring the project to an end since the data look promising, just some repetitions need to be done. This may yield in a small paper which would be a really cool reference.

Hi.

I got my certificate. I had an average of 1.58. However, they only take the first decimal place into account which means that I got 1.5 which is an A!!!!! B)

Today I finished my work as research assistant during which I continued my project and also earned some money.

I'll make a cake for my farewell on friday, I hope I'll not produce a piece of charcoal. ^^

Now I have some holidays until my Master's courses start in October. I finally decided to stay in Cologne and to try this fast track stuff.

Perhaps I'll do one seven-week practical module in the lab where I worked yet and bring the project to an end since the data look promising, just some repetitions need to be done. This may yield in a small paper which would be a really cool reference.

Congratulations! Stellar grades!

1.58 should equal 1.6. You were sooooo close! That would be an A+ which I am certain you deserved!

Nice to hear that you earned money for your hard work.

All Germans are supreme bakers, so I am positive you will make a delicious cake. Wish I was there to have a piece and help in the celebration.

I am very pleased to hear that you have chosen the fast track course of action. This sounds like a very good idea. You can always quit if it isn't working, but I am certain that you will be a huge success. Enjoy your holidays, get in some bike riding. At least you have stayed in a city that I we stay in. :lol: The idea of completing your project always looks great on a resume. Companies like to see people "finish/complete" things. If a paper is the result, that is even better. We are so excited for you and know they should be baking you the cake!

By the way... what kind of cake are you baking? :lol:

Congratulations again!!! You deserve the holiday, enjoy yourself.

Oh... I forgot to mention... I bought another bike. Didn't know if I had told you that.

Thanks for the congrats.

By the way... what kind of cake are you baking?

I'll try a peach-passion fruit-torte. (Didn't know that "torte" is exactly the same word as in german.) :lol:

Additionally, I'll try a recipe from my grandma: Blitzkuchen. Lightning cake. Because the preparation should be really fast. She told me this cake works always. And it is delicious as I know. :D

I bought another bike. Didn't know if I had told you that.

No, you didn't tell me. What kind of bike is it?

My bike needs some care, now I have enough free time to repair the last damages at the plastic parts from my little accident in March, change the oil and the oil filter, the spark plugs and the fork oil together with the fork gaskets because one of them is leaking.

Thanks for the congrats.

By the way... what kind of cake are you baking?

I'll try a peach-passion fruit-torte. (Didn't know that "torte" is exactly the same word as in german.) :lol:

Additionally, I'll try a recipe from my grandma: Blitzkuchen. Lightning cake. Because the preparation should be really fast. She told me this cake works always. And it is delicious as I know. :D

I bought another bike. Didn't know if I had told you that.

No, you didn't tell me. What kind of bike is it?

My bike needs some care, now I have enough free time to repair the last damages at the plastic parts from my little accident in March, change the oil and the oil filter, the spark plugs and the fork oil together with the fork gaskets because one of them is leaking.

As I recall, tortes are made with lots of eggs, fruit, nuts or dry bread crumbs and a wonderful rich frosting.

Is this correct? Very, very good.

Lightning cakes? Now this is a recipe I would like to have. Let us know how it comes out.

The new bike is a DRZ4002. I have made some changes and upgrades, also removed about 30 to 40 pounds.

Pictures to follow.

Wikipedia says:

A torte is a cake made with many eggs and usually ground nuts or even bread crumbs instead of or in addition to flour. Tortes are Central European in origin. The word torte is derived from the German word "Torte" (pronounced [ˈtoʀtə]), which was derived from the Italian word torta which was used to describe a round cake or bread.

Well, tortes usually contain lots of cream, too.

The torte I am doing has a baked pastry case, covered by a thick layer of cream with peaches and a thin layer of vanilla-passion fruit sauce.

Lightning cakes? Now this is a recipe I would like to have.

I can translate and post it if it is working well.

Wikipedia says:

A torte is a cake made with many eggs and usually ground nuts or even bread crumbs instead of or in addition to flour. Tortes are Central European in origin. The word torte is derived from the German word "Torte" (pronounced [ˈtoʀtə]), which was derived from the Italian word torta which was used to describe a round cake or bread.

Well, tortes usually contain lots of cream, too.

The torte I am doing has a baked pastry case, covered by a thick layer of cream with peaches and a thin layer of vanilla-passion fruit sauce.

Lightning cakes? Now this is a recipe I would like to have.

I can translate and post it if it is working well.

There isn't a German pastry that I don't love! :lol:

Please try and give us the translated recipe if you have time.

Thanks!

Here are the pictures of my new bike...

First the factory picture...

DRZ400SK8.jpg

Here is a picture of the after, but there are still a couple things I need to do...

_DRZ_.jpg

Fold up mirrors, guards, changed out the white panels for black ones, upgraded the engine and added a jet kit, new muffler, changed out the lights, changed the back fender. You can see some of the differences. The best part is the 30 to 40 pounds eliminated from the bike weight.

Cool bike. I'm sure it is lots of fun riding offroad.

I never rode offroad. Only once at the Intermot (the worlds biggest fair for motorcycles- in Cologne B) ).

There they had a small parcours. However, when I was just getting used to the different handling of the bike, the time was over.

BTW, the next Intermot is in October. I'm really looking forward on it. It is less than 30 minutes by tram/subway from my house.

I finished the cakes.

The torte seems to be fine, only the bake pastry case is too high because I added too much baking powder.

The Blitzkuchen also worked. Really fast to prepare. However, I roasted the almonds a little bit too long, but I think it is still ok.

Pictures and recipes will follow. ;)

Cool bike. I'm sure it is lots of fun riding offroad.

I never rode offroad. Only once at the Intermot (the worlds biggest fair for motorcycles- in Cologne B) ).

There they had a small parcours. However, when I was just getting used to the different handling of the bike, the time was over.

That is always the case. It would be great if they would double the time.

BTW, the next Intermot is in October. I'm really looking forward on it. It is less than 30 minutes by tram/subway from my house.

All cool things in Germany seem to happen in October. I would like to go to the Christmas fair and the motorcycle fair.

I finished the cakes.

WHOO HOO !!!!!! Tomorrow is your last day. They will love the cakes!!!!!

The torte seems to be fine, only the bake pastry case is too high because I added too much baking powder.

I hate when that happens. Sometimes I don't follow the recipes exactly and have had more disasters than successes when I do this. I'm sure your cake will be fine!

The Blitzkuchen also worked. Really fast to prepare. However, I roasted the almonds a little bit too long, but I think it is still ok.

Pictures and recipes will follow. ;)

We look forward to the pictures and the recipes!!!

See blue responses above.

Ok, here are the pictures:

Upper: Blitzkuchen

Lower: Peach torte (I didn't get passion fruit).

Recipes:

Blitzkuchen

Ingredients:

Cake bottom:

1 beaker (200 ml) whipping cream

2 beakers flour

1 beaker sugar

1 pack baking powder

4 eggs

Covering:

200 g butter

125 g sugar

3 packages planed almonds

5 spoons milk

Mix the cream, flour, sugar, baking powder and eggs and give the dough on a greased baking tray. Bake for 10 min in the preheated oven at 175 °C.

In the meantime, roast (not too long ;) ) the almonds together with butter and sugar in a pan, add the milk. Then spread on the cake bottom and bake for additional 10 minutes (may also take a little bit longer).

Finished. :D

Peach- passion fruit torte

Ingredients:

2 eggs

85 g sugar

85 g flour

1 teaspoon baking powder (don't use the full capacity of the spoon ;) )

1 package vanilla sugar

3 beakers whipping cream

5 packages of whip-it (I don't know if this is the correct translation. It is a powder to fix the cream, in german it is Sahnesteif or Sahnefest.)

1 tin peaches

250 ml passion fruit juice

4 packages vanilla sauce powder (without cooking)

For the cake bottom:

Vigorously stir the eggs and the sugar, then add flour, baking powder and vanilla sugar. Put the dough in a greased springform and bake for 15-20 min at 185 °C. Let it cool in the springform.

For the filling:

Whip the cram with 3 packages of whip-it. Cut the peaches into little pieces and add to the cream. Spread the cream over the cake bottom.

Stir the passion fruit juice with the vanilla sauce powder and the reamaining whip-it to a viscous mass which you add on top of the cream.

Put the torte into the fridge for 1.5 hours.

Just wondering... is there a german translation for Horatio? If so, how would you spell it?

Nope.

post-4911-1221209539_thumb.jpg

Ok, here are the pictures:

Upper: Blitzkuchen

Lower: Peach torte (I didn't get passion fruit).

Recipes:

Blitzkuchen

Ingredients:

Cake bottom:

1 beaker (200 ml) whipping cream

2 beakers flour

1 beaker sugar

1 pack baking powder

4 eggs

Covering:

200 g butter

125 g sugar

3 packages planed almonds

5 spoons milk

Mix the cream, flour, sugar, baking powder and eggs and give the dough on a greased baking tray. Bake for 10 min in the preheated oven at 175 °C.

In the meantime, roast (not too long ;) ) the almonds together with butter and sugar in a pan, add the milk. Then spread on the cake bottom and bake for additional 10 minutes (may also take a little bit longer).

Finished. :D

Peach- passion fruit torte

Ingredients:

2 eggs

85 g sugar

85 g flour

1 teaspoon baking powder (don't use the full capacity of the spoon ;) )

1 package vanilla sugar

3 beakers whipping cream

5 packages of whip-it (I don't know if this is the correct translation. It is a powder to fix the cream, in german it is Sahnesteif or Sahnefest.)

1 tin peaches

250 ml passion fruit juice

4 packages vanilla sauce powder (without cooking)

For the cake bottom:

Vigorously stir the eggs and the sugar, then add flour, baking powder and vanilla sugar. Put the dough in a greased springform and bake for 15-20 min at 185 °C. Let it cool in the springform.

For the filling:

Whip the cram with 3 packages of whip-it. Cut the peaches into little pieces and add to the cream. Spread the cream over the cake bottom.

Stir the passion fruit juice with the vanilla sauce powder and the reamaining whip-it to a viscous mass which you add on top of the cream.

Put the torte into the fridge for 1.5 hours.

Just wondering... is there a german translation for Horatio? If so, how would you spell it?

Nope.

Those look soooooooo good!!!

*hands Leguan The Black Bat Award for excellence in baking*

Thank you so very much for the recipe. I am going to try it today.

They liked it, especially the torte.

The pastry shrinks a little bit if you keep it in the fridge over night, so it was fine. :)

Thank you so very much for the recipe. I am going to try it today.

Please post a picture when it is finished.

You deserve a round of applause for your baking skills. Glad to know they liked your choices.

I will post a picture only if it looks successful. :lol:

As soon as I get off the internet, I will be heading to the market.

• 1 month later...
I will post a picture only if it looks successful.

Still waiting for the picture. ;)

I've been having the last three months of craziness. At the moment, I am posting on my iPhone.

Soooooo... fill me in on how everything is going, how is the new research?

As instructed by Horatio, I'm posting here. Leguan, we may have a few things in common as I'm now studying Biological Sciences with study in continental Europe, which means that my third year of study will be spent in Germany. The only probalemis that I haven't studied German in 2 years so my German classes (compulsory for my degree) are tricky at the moment, especially because I've forgotten things I used to know really well. But such is life.

@horatio:

Oh, posting on the iPhone sounds not like being fun. What happened to your computer?

Well, I'm fine. Master studies started four weeks ago. I'm attending a plant physiology module. Actually it is more plant genetics than physiology. Since Max Delbrück, a very famous german-american biophysicist, founded the institute for genetics, nearly all biological research done here is somehow related to genetics. :D

The module I am attending has no lecture. It was limited to five participants and we were spread over the working groups. So each of us has a small research project, related to the project of a Ph.D student in the lab.

That's quite cool, but very time-consuming. I work 8 hours per day in the lab (weekend excluded of course). Afterwards, I have to write a protocol, prepare presentations, learn for the exam and since I'm doing this fast track stuff I have an extra-task. Writing an essay and giving a presentation about some new publications querying an old model. I can't complain, it was my choice... -_- I hope this will pay off in the future.

@lifeseagle: Cool, one more biologist. Tell me more. Where are you studying the first two years? Are you doing a bachelor? So you'll spend your third year in Germany? Sounds like you are forced to do this, so is this some special stuff? I just know that people studying here are allowed to do semesters in other coutries, but they don't need to.

Lots of qustions. ;)

In terms of your german speaking skills, don't be stressed too much.

At which university will you study in Germany? Ok, I guess you don't know this yet, or do you? Just to let you know, there are more and more english-speaking programmes. The master course in Cologne for example is 100 % in english and already the two main modules I attended during my bachelor course were in english, too.

What will you study exactly? If you'll work in a group and have your own project, it's not a problem at all. Everybody speaks english (more or less skilled :D ). It's quite usual to have a number of group members from foreign countries (e.g. many from India) who don't speak german. Some of them even don't know the very basic stuff, so you're already advanced since you had german classes.

Nevertheless, it would be a good idea to improve your german skills during the remaining time since there's also a life beyond university. ;) Not everybody here speaks english.

Oops, sorry. I didn't read your post careful enough. So you are forced to do these german classes. Interesting. Interesting, because the language of science is english, german as the major scientific language was a long time ago. However, you can still find some relics. The symbol for sodium is Na. Natrium. Or for potassium: K for Kalium.

Ok, back to topic. Even though the complete advanced literature is written in english and many of the courses are in english, nobody is forced to take english lessons. Only the lessons at school are obligate until the 10th year (of 13 if you want to study at an university).

I'm just wondering that you are forced to attend german lessons during your studies.

@horatio:

Oh, posting on the iPhone sounds not like being fun. What happened to your computer?

Well, I'm fine. Master studies started four weeks ago. I'm attending a plant physiology module. Actually it is more plant genetics than physiology. Since Max Delbrück, a very famous german-american biophysicist, founded the institute for genetics, nearly all biological research done here is somehow related to genetics. :D

The module I am attending has no lecture. It was limited to five participants and we were spread over the working groups. So each of us has a small research project, related to the project of a Ph.D student in the lab.

That's quite cool, but very time-consuming. I work 8 hours per day in the lab (weekend excluded of course). Afterwards, I have to write a protocol, prepare presentations, learn for the exam and since I'm doing this fast track stuff I have an extra-task. Writing an essay and giving a presentation about some new publications querying an old model. I can't complain, it was my choice... -_- I hope this will pay off in the future.

@lifeseagle: Cool, one more biologist. Tell me more. Where are you studying the first two years? Are you doing a bachelor? So you'll spend your third year in Germany? Sounds like you are forced to do this, so is this some special stuff? I just know that people studying here are allowed to do semesters in other coutries, but they don't need to.

Lots of qustions. ;)

In terms of your german speaking skills, don't be stressed too much.

At which university will you study in Germany? Ok, I guess you don't know this yet, or do you? Just to let you know, there are more and more english-speaking programmes. The master course in Cologne for example is 100 % in english and already the two main modules I attended during my bachelor course were in english, too.

What will you study exactly? If you'll work in a group and have your own project, it's not a problem at all. Everybody speaks english (more or less skilled :D ). It's quite usual to have a number of group members from foreign countries (e.g. many from India) who don't speak german. Some of them even don't know the very basic stuff, so you're already advanced since you had german classes.

Nevertheless, it would be a good idea to improve your german skills during the remaining time since there's also a life beyond university. ;) Not everybody here speaks english.

The laptop works fine, but no internet service. Hence me using the iPhone.

You sound like your enjoying the studies, although the workload is immense. These efforts will most certainly pay off in the future!

LifesEagle will be really happy to hear your replies.

• 2 weeks later...
Horatio, if you can get internet on your phone, can't you use your phone as a modem for your computer?

Had not thought of that... you are a genius. Let me find out more about this.

lol :lol: My dad's done it a couple times just to check email. There might be a program you have to install on your computer, but I assume it's doable.

Horatio, if you can get internet on your phone, can't you use your phone as a modem for your computer?

Had not thought of that... you are a genius. Let me find out more about this.

lol :lol: My dad's done it a couple times just to check email. There might be a program you have to install on your computer, but I assume it's doable.

It's so nice having a brilliant father!!! :D

hay Leguan, im in ur country, bein a tourist.

And hopefully having a fabulous time!!!

Hurry back home, you are missed!!!

Berlin was awesome =D

BUT MY MOM APPARENTLY DOESN'T WANT TO GO BACK THERE D=

-emo tear-

hay Leguan, im in ur country, bein a tourist.

And hopefully having a fabulous time!!!

Hurry back home, you are missed!!!

Berlin was awesome =D

BUT MY MOM APPARENTLY DOESN'T WANT TO GO BACK THERE D=

-emo tear-

I lived in Berlin. On Kurfurstendam. It was a great place to live.

@mushroom king: Yor mom didn't like it?

@horatio: The Kurfürstendamm or also called Ku'damm is a really cool place to live, but also quite expensive I guess.

Exactly. I didn't believe Mushroom_King would know what I was talking about. It was really cool living there.

I had some fabulous restaurants that I would frequent on a regular basis and wish I was back there on holiday now.

@horatio: The Kurfürstendamm or also called Ku'damm is a really cool place to live, but also quite expensive I guess.

She said she might not want to go back there.

She said she might not want to go back there.

Did you ask your mother why? I would be curious as to why she would say that. There are not too many cities that I would say that I would not return to.

• 1 month later...

Hey, just wanted to say hello.

Since a few weeks we have a real winter over here, the coldest for more than 10 years. Temperatures around -10 °C. One week ago it was snowing. Usually, the snow immediately thaws, but this time it is still there.

Walking on a frozen lake is really cool.

Today I was also sledding. Wow, that's fun. The last time I did this when I was I child. :D We found a really steep hillside and reached high speed. And often fell off the sledge. My old motorcycle clothes were perfect for this. :lol:

It's a pity that the temperatures are rising now. The weather forecast announced rain for tuesday. :(

Leguan!!! Welcome back.

The temperatures are reaching record colds here as well. Lots of snow in certain areas and then as the temperatures rise, lots of flooding.

As for other news... not much is happening. The economy has touched everyone. Business is slow, but hopefully things will pick up by the beginning of 2010. In my travel plans, I hope to be over in your neck of the woods in February or March. April, I plan on doing a longish dirt bike ride. Throughout the summer I plan on working and improving my dirt bike skills.

At the moment, I am in Rochester, New York. The good news is that I am leaving here Tuesday morning. Tuesday night, they are expecting record snowfall and ultra cold temperatures.

Talk to you soon! Hurry back!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

They are three girls. 6 weeks old.

One albino, one husky and one black hooded. Here is another photo on which the black hooded isn't hiding. :D She's still a little bit shy, but the others, especially the albino, are really tame.

post-4911-1233836281_thumb.jpg

And a photo of their new home.

post-4911-1233836324_thumb.jpg

They are three girls. 6 weeks old.

One albino, one husky and one black hooded. Here is another photo on which the black hooded isn't hiding. :D She's still a little bit shy, but the others, especially the albino, are really tame.

05022009791.jpg

And a photo of their new home.

05022009783.jpg

OH MYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You built that???????

I want one!

That is the most incredible home I have ever seen. I am so, so, soooooooooo jealous!!!!!!!!!!!

The rats are really great! I just love the black and white colouring. :D

But the house...

I am so speechless.

You are absolutely amazing with that house.

WOW!!!

Actually, it was easy. :lol:

I just developed the shelf.

Lining everthing with synthetic glass foil (which was the most time-consuming work), inserting the stories and closing the front with glass panels (cut to the exact size by a glazier). I like glass more than a fence. Since this closes the whole thing, I inserted two PC fans for aeration in the left wall and let them run at low speed.

This was the cage I had years ago when I was still living with my parents. This one was 100 % DIY. And much more work. Someone told me that rats are going to gnaw at everthing, so I lined everthing with this fence. This took a whole day and afterwards, I had scratches everwhere at the hands and arms. :wacko:

Now I know that rats nibble a little bit, but they would never finish a board.

post-4911-1233869660_thumb.jpg

I also still have a fishtank. Slightly smaller than the old one.

post-4911-1233869935_thumb.jpg

Yes, this plant there is a real coco. :D