Hampsterdance Discussion Board

Ah... Minasan, sumimasen...

What is friendship? I don't know. I looked it up, but everyone's wrong. I said I don't know what friendship is, but that's because you can't know what friendship is. People say that a friend is a helping hand, someone that's there when times are rough. If that were true, many of the people I happily call friends wouldn't be, so this can't be true. People call a friend someone you like to be around, and who likes to be around you. Alas, this is not always true, as there are times when I would dislike to be around a friend, and they would dislike to be near me too, but through these times of hardship I would still willingly admit to them being a friend, so this can't be true. People call friends a business plan, a guarantee to a financially solid life. But friends don't always provide that. Friends aren't a 100% sure way of getting that. Thus, it cannot be true. Others say that a friend is someone who understand you, and you them. I can, quite bluntly say, I barely understand one of my friends, let alone all of them. Obviously this is false. Psychologically speaking, friendship may be defined as "a dynamic, mutual relationship between two individuals. As children become friends, they negotiate boundaries within which both partners function", however, this is absolute nonsense. Everyone does that, friend or not, child or not. A book from 1859 said that "friendship is the comfort, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but pouring all right out just as they are, chaff and grain together, certain that a faithful friendly hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping and, with a breath of comfort, blow the rest away." Also incorrect. Friendship has nothing to do with liquids.

I said I looked up friendship, researched it, but in a way this is a lie. In truth I tried to, and started looking at pages on it, until I realised that it was all nothing but lies. There is no definition for friendship. A friend is a friend, and you'll know when a friend is a friend, whether or not you know why that friend is your friend. Anyone who says they can tell you the meaning of friendship, or what a friend truly is, ignore them. They're shallow idiots who can't see deep enough to see that there is none.

I know the meaning of friendship. I know what a friend truly is. Everyone does. But nobody can adequately put it into words, and so, there is none. But doesn't that mean I have no true friends? If 'friend' has no meaning, there is no actual way to describe a friend, then obviously... There is no such thing as a friend. It's too confusing.

All I know

Is that I could live with a little dirt getting in my eye.

(FYI, only three people in the world understand the reason for me putting in that last line.)

Horatio must be getting old. He let a really rude phrase through.

Raise your hand if you actually care that it got through!

But, I must ask, what is a bolvine?

A cow, basically.

Bolvine... a bovine that bowls? :blink:

No. Bolvine: A bovine with an l added to make it roll off the tongue better.

I like saying bolvine, even if it's the wrong word.

Horatio must be getting old. He let a really rude phrase through.

Raise your hand if you actually care that it got through!

But, I must ask, what is a bolvine?

A cow, basically.

Bolvine... a bovine that bowls? :blink:

No. Bolvine: A bovine with an l added to make it roll off the tongue better.

I like saying bolvine, even if it's the wrong word.

Happy cows come from California. Bolvine it is. :D