Hampsterdance Discussion Board

Yeeeah.

Amid talking to some of my friends, the subject of our childhood pets was brought up.

I made a few mentions of my hamsters and guinea pigs and cats, and one of my friends laughed at the memory of about having seven hamsters in the past, but the most recent one died of obesity.

He said that he just filled up her dish with seeds and pellets, the usual, and over time she'd eat it faster and faster, until about the whole dish was empty within two minutes.

She ended up about 2/3s the size of his hand, a rather blubberous furball that could hardly walk before it just stopped moving.

i dunno, I just thought it was funny.

Horatio have any input as to why that would have happened and if there was anything to prevent it?

Amid talking to some of my friends, the subject of our childhood pets was brought up.

I made a few mentions of my hamsters and guinea pigs and cats, and one of my friends laughed at the memory of about having seven hamsters in the past, but the most recent one died of obesity.

He said that he just filled up her dish with seeds and pellets, the usual, and over time she'd eat it faster and faster, until about the whole dish was empty within two minutes.

She ended up about 2/3s the size of his hand, a rather blubberous furball that could hardly walk before it just stopped moving.

i dunno, I just thought it was funny.

Horatio have any input as to why that would have happened and if there was anything to prevent it?

I am at a total loss as to why this would happen. :blink:

My first thought is that he didn't keep her dish really full, just gave her a little every day. My second thought was that there was not enough in her cage to keep her occupied. For example, all our cages have so many things, that we have lots of things to do and such a wide variety of things to eat, that we have no desire to gobble things down.

Tomorrow, I am calling our favorite veterinarian to see what he thinks. This is clearly beyond my expertise.

• 2 weeks later...
So Horatio, did you find anything out about this obese blob hamster?

Actually I have been learning an enormous amount. I will post a nutshell version if you would like.

Please do!

Hamsters need things to do. So, I would be asking how many things there are in her cage. Does she have lots and lots of things to entertain her? How does he feed her? For example, my hammie friends have corn cobbies, lava triangles, apple wood sticks, popcorn sticks, loofah chews, and a bunch of other food things to keep them entertained. Of the ones mentioned, they each have at least two of each item. Then there are lots of other things for them to do and I rotate the items. I have lots and lots of tubes, a maze, various areas to hide-out, a sleeping triangle, a paper climbing thingy, stuff in the cage to play with such as wheel, other climby things and many chew items. Every night, all the hammies get out and run in the ball with all the other hammies. When they get back into their cage, they have a healthy treat placed on top of their always full food bowl. Raw peanuts and sunflower seeds, are treats that they have to work at to get to the good stuff. I always try and keep them interested and entertained. Of course these hammies rule and the second I put them back into their cage, they head straight for their bowls. :rolleyes:

Another reason for the hammie to gain weight. As a female, she is storing food to prepare herself for when she has babies. In the wild, this is the action she would be taking prior to having babies. I would actually have to see a picture to know exactly how obese she really is. For example, I had a female who was over 200 grams. She was really big, but this was in the prime of her hammie bearing life. As she gets older, she is losing weight.

Actually I have been learning an enormous amount. I will post a nutshell version if you would like.

Please do!

Hamsters need things to do. So, I would be asking how many things there are in her cage. Does she have lots and lots of things to entertain her? How does he feed her? For example, my hammie friends have corn cobbies, lava triangles, apple wood sticks, popcorn sticks, loofah chews, and a bunch of other food things to keep them entertained. Of the ones mentioned, they each have at least two of each item. Then there are lots of other things for them to do and I rotate the items. I have lots and lots of tubes, a maze, various areas to hide-out, a sleeping triangle, a paper climbing thingy, stuff in the cage to play with such as wheel, other climby things and many chew items. Every night, all the hammies get out and run in the ball with all the other hammies. When they get back into their cage, they have a healthy treat placed on top of their always full food bowl. Raw peanuts and sunflower seeds, are treats that they have to work at to get to the good stuff. I always try and keep them interested and entertained. Of course these hammies rule and the second I put them back into their cage, they head straight for their bowls. :rolleyes:

Another reason for the hammie to gain weight. As a female, she is storing food to prepare herself for when she has babies. In the wild, this is the action she would be taking prior to having babies. I would actually have to see a picture to know exactly how obese she really is. For example, I had a female who was over 200 grams. She was really big, but this was in the prime of her hammie bearing life. As she gets older, she is losing weight.

I see. I wonder if Arkcher forgot about this. XD

Please do!

Probably.

Please do!

Probably.

naw, I have a tendency to lurk about message boards.

Half the message boards I go to Im not even registered for, just never post, so It may come a surprise that I read a lot of topics here, never post, this is the most visited and used site of my bookmarks.

or at least its way up there.

Please do!

Probably.

Half the message boards I go to Im not even registered for, just never post, so It may come a surprise that I read a lot of topics here, never post, this is the most visited and used site of my bookmarks.

Arkcher is a message board wanderer. =o

Please do!

Probably.

Oh yeah.

big time.

Please do!

Probably.

Oh yeah.

big time.

For rizzle.

Please do!

Probably.

Oh yeah.

big time.

For rizzle.

Mah Shiznizzle-izzle.

Please do!

Probably.

Oh yeah.

big time.

For rizzle.

Mah Shiznizzle-izzle.

Fa show. Dizzle-dawg?

Oh yeah.

big time.

For rizzle.

Mah Shiznizzle-izzle.

Fa show. Dizzle-dawg?

Jizzle Gizzle.

dawg homie G.

Oh yeah.

big time.

For rizzle.

Mah Shiznizzle-izzle.

Fa show. Dizzle-dawg?

Jizzle Gizzle.

dawg homie G.

Ma lizzle o-grizzle de hiizzleee!?

Oh yeah.

big time.

For rizzle.

Mah Shiznizzle-izzle.

Fa show. Dizzle-dawg?

Jizzle Gizzle.

dawg homie G.

Ma lizzle o-grizzle de hiizzleee!?

whizzle mah rizzle bizzle! Kizzle yah mizzle!