Hampsterdance Discussion Board

Synesthesia

Synethesia is a a condition that effects the way you see feel of hear thing. A person with synesthesia may think of a color when a day of the week is mentioned for exaple when i thing of Monday i think of black i think of the taste of black licorace the sound of high pitched piano keys played in an eerie pattern all of these things come to mind when i think: Monday. The book Mondays Are Red, Luke, the main character has synesthesia. Luke has both side of synethesia. One experiance is like you have a kaleidoscope in your head. With this effect life is a kaleidoscope of mixed sensations, where the noise of a train approching will flood them with mesmerizingly detailed hues, and the niose of that same train screeching to a halt will stun them with quite diffferent tastes, smells and colors, felt from the tips of their fingers to the very ends of their toes. The other effect is that of which I have. It simply means that when I think of a day of the week, I am bombarded with sensations of a particular color- and it will be the same color each time I think of that day. I guess i have both.

Synethesia is a a condition that effects the way you see feel of hear thing. A person with synesthesia may think of a color when a day of the week is mentioned for exaple when i thing of Monday i think of black i think of the taste of black licorace the sound of high pitched piano keys played in an eerie pattern all of these things come to mind when i think: Monday. The book Mondays Are Red, Luke, the main character has synesthesia. Luke has both side of synethesia. One experiance is like you have a kaleidoscope in your head. With this effect life is a kaleidoscope of mixed sensations, where the noise of a train approching will flood them with mesmerizingly detailed hues, and the niose of that same train screeching to a halt will stun them with quite diffferent tastes, smells and colors, felt from the tips of their fingers to the very ends of their toes. The other effect is that of which I have. It simply means that when I think of a day of the week, I am bombarded with sensations of a particular color- and it will be the same color each time I think of that day. I guess i have both.

I had never heard of that. Very interesting.

i love it it gives me the power to make people really see what i'm writing and make seem as if the world could melt away and they would be were my writing takes place

ah, Interesting.. I've heard I may I have a mild form myself, that is, sometimes my brain will reallocate it's resources to fit the situation. It's all subconcious, So I rarely give it any thought, just turn on a radio when the lightbulbs get too loud or something.

i love it it gives me the power to make people really see what i'm writing and make seem as if the world could melt away and they would be were my writing takes place

I read your poem and understand completely. Your colours are very powerful in portraying your thoughts.

*~*The Grand UIllusion*~*The Final cut*~*

certain years remind me of colours.

2000-brown

2001-white

2002-red

2003-Green

2004-blue

2005-yellow

2006-purple

2007-green-yellow

2008-black

The odd thing is, the first 6 colours are the EXACT colours of the trophies for those years in the orchestra trophy cabinet at skool.

*~*the Psychedelic Luau*~*The Astronomy Domine*~*

*~*The Grand UIllusion*~*The Final cut*~*

certain years remind me of colours.

2000-brown

2001-white

2002-red

2003-Green

2004-blue

2005-yellow

2006-purple

2007-green-yellow

2008-black

The odd thing is, the first 6 colours are the EXACT colours of the trophies for those years in the orchestra trophy cabinet at skool.

*~*the Psychedelic Luau*~*The Astronomy Domine*~*

well that explains the first six but maybe its that those colors bring back certain memories from those years and you just have to dig to find the memories

until i read this book i just thought that it was the way i thought but to know that i'm not the only one makes me happy that other pople write as well as i supposedly do

• 2 weeks later...

The following post is me just regurgitating what I've read about the disorder, if there are facts that are wrong please don't try to duke it out with me.

I've read an article entirely on it in New Scientist, which also showed me how the disorder can actually help us understand some of the intricacies of the human mind. What intrigues me so about it is that it's really common - many people have it and don't even know it, mainly because they just think of it as if it were a normal every-day occurrence. Another strange thing about it is that while there are people with synaesthesia who taste sounds and see colours when they smell gas, etc., it's a lot more common that people will actually relate to specific things with a meaning. For example, if someone is given the month January, they may say it reminds them of red (actually, I believe it's very rare to think that January is red, but for the sake of the example that doesn't matter) but if they are given the letters rujynaa they may not get any colours in their mind at all, even though those are the letters of January only in a mixed order.

Also an interesting thing about synaesthesia is that it usually only affects two or three senses. Sometimes it affects all, but that's not the norm by a long shot. Besides the form where people associate sounds, smells, tastes, feelings or sights with a meaning, the most common form is the association of colours to sounds, letters, and numbers. One thing I read was that when they got people who weren't synaesthetics to do the same test as those who were, the people without it got similar results (but much less often). So basically everyone has some degree of sensory confusion, however it's exaggerated in those with the disorder.

I myself actually have a form where I can easily associate tastes with colours. For example, coca-cola tastes green to me, and the carrots I had for dinner earlier tonight tasted blue.

I like the disorder because, quite simply, it's really cool to find what the letter L tastes like, etc. (Apparently, depending on the kind of L sound you use, it tastes like either red licorice, rise krispies, or something else that I can't remember.)

The following post is me just regurgitating what I've read about the disorder, if there are facts that are wrong please don't try to duke it out with me.

I've read an article entirely on it in New Scientist, which also showed me how the disorder can actually help us understand some of the intricacies of the human mind. What intrigues me so about it is that it's really common - many people have it and don't even know it, mainly because they just think of it as if it were a normal every-day occurrence. Another strange thing about it is that while there are people with synaesthesia who taste sounds and see colours when they smell gas, etc., it's a lot more common that people will actually relate to specific things with a meaning. For example, if someone is given the month January, they may say it reminds them of red (actually, I believe it's very rare to think that January is red, but for the sake of the example that doesn't matter) but if they are given the letters rujynaa they may not get any colours in their mind at all, even though those are the letters of January only in a mixed order.

Also an interesting thing about synaesthesia is that it usually only affects two or three senses. Sometimes it affects all, but that's not the norm by a long shot. Besides the form where people associate sounds, smells, tastes, feelings or sights with a meaning, the most common form is the association of colours to sounds, letters, and numbers. One thing I read was that when they got people who weren't synaesthetics to do the same test as those who were, the people without it got similar results (but much less often). So basically everyone has some degree of sensory confusion, however it's exaggerated in those with the disorder.

I myself actually have a form where I can easily associate tastes with colours. For example, coca-cola tastes green to me, and the carrots I had for dinner earlier tonight tasted blue.

I like the disorder because, quite simply, it's really cool to find what the letter L tastes like, etc. (Apparently, depending on the kind of L sound you use, it tastes like either red licorice, rise krispies, or something else that I can't remember.)

I'm not saying this in a mean way, but I really don't consider a disorder, rather, than a gift. It let's you see, taste, feel and hear things more deaply than usual. And how could it be considered a disorder if you and I both like having it. I know some don't particularly enjoy having Synesthesia but those of us who do don't consider it a disorder. Eh. sorry if that's confusing.

Sunday's taste like orange.

jolt blue tastes like blue. :unsure:

I don't think I have synesthesia.

maybe maybe not it's really hard to know.

I didn't know until about a month ago. :)

• 3 weeks later...
My music teacher shared a hilarious experience. She told us one time some director told the band she was in to make it have more orange, less blue. Or something along those lines. XD

Because that makes sense. xD

My music teacher shared a hilarious experience. She told us one time some director told the band she was in to make it have more orange, less blue. Or something along those lines. XD

Orange is dull. ok whatever i'm in a weird mood like idk it's freaky it's like a rainbow i guess is how I explain it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not saying this in a mean way, but I really don't consider a disorder, rather, than a gift. It let's you see, taste, feel and hear things more deaply than usual. And how could it be considered a disorder if you and I both like having it. I know some don't particularly enjoy having Synesthesia but those of us who do don't consider it a disorder. Eh. sorry if that's confusing.

Sunday's taste like orange.

I understand what you mean, but I only used disorder based on the medical definition of it. It's not like it's the norm. The highest estimate for people with synaesthesia is 1 in 20, and the lowest being something like 1 in 100000. Doctors really aren't sure about how many people have it, but it's way less then a majority.

That's not to say I don't enjoy it. :D

i associate school subjects with colors - and therefore try to match these with the same colored notebooks & folders

science - red

spanish - orange

religion - yellow

global - green

english - blue

math - purple

:blink:

is this related to OCD at all? because i think I have OCD but i've never been tested...i posted a list of my traits somewhere on HD awhile ago.

i associate school subjects with colors - and therefore try to match these with the same colored notebooks & folders

science - red

spanish - orange

religion - yellow

global - green

english - blue

math - purple

is this related to OCD at all? because i think I have OCD but i've never been tested...i posted a list of my traits somewhere on HD awhile ago.

I don't think you have OCD, unless I do and don't know it 'cause I do that too, my colors are different, but you get the idea.

science - red

spanish - orange

religion - yellow

global - green

english - blue

math - purple

I don't think you have OCD, unless I do and don't know it 'cause I do that too, my colors are different, but you get the idea.

no, i think i have ocd for other reasons.

and not just because i watch monk.

science - red

spanish - orange

religion - yellow

global - green

english - blue

math - purple

lol I love that show. I think I have ocd I often find my self "putting things in the right order" My back pack is organized my folders and notebooks go in order according to what hour I have that class. It's freaky I'm gonna ask my parents to let me get "tested"

science - red

spanish - orange

religion - yellow

global - green

english - blue

math - purple

lol I love that show. I think I have ocd I often find my self "putting things in the right order" My back pack is organized my folders and notebooks go in order according to what hour I have that class. It's freaky I'm gonna ask my parents to let me get "tested"

Forget about getting tested. What if the guy wants to put you on some sort of medication??????

Those drugs always have some serious side effects.

I would just think that you are quite organized.

science - red

spanish - orange

religion - yellow

global - green

english - blue

math - purple

Forget about getting tested. What if the guy wants to put you on some sort of medication??????

If the 'guy' wants to put her on 'some sort of medication', then she should.

For the love on sunflower seeds Horatio, if someone with a doctorate in medicine told you that you needed to take pills...

They'd do it for a good reason! Besides. It's possible that you could start convulsing if you get so much as a lick of paracetamol (ever heard of a little thing called panadol?). That doesn't stop you from taking it if you're in pain.

Doctors know what they're doing. That's why they're called doctors, because they have a doctorate. They went to a university for over a year. They're gonna know a thing or two about what's good for you.

But. Um. I think that you're just really organized, too. I don't think its OCD.

science - red

spanish - orange

religion - yellow

global - green

english - blue

math - purple

For the love on sunflower seeds Horatio, if someone with a doctorate in medicine told you that you needed to take pills...

They'd do it for a good reason! Besides. It's possible that you could start convulsing if you get so much as a lick of paracetamol (ever heard of a little thing called panadol?). That doesn't stop you from taking it if you're in pain.

Doctors know what they're doing. That's why they're called doctors, because they have a doctorate. They went to a university for over a year. They're gonna know a thing or two about what's good for you.

The problem with America is that doctors are controlled by the pharmaceutical industry. They don't take the time to find out the root of the problem, they just dispense pills to make people happy. I know a school teacher who told me 75 percent of her class is on Ritalin or another such drug. 75% ???????????? Perhaps the parents ought to remove all the junk food the kids are eating. No soda! No chips, fast food or other junk with no nutritional value. What happened to good food, veggies, fruits, etc?

America has the reputation for the worst eating habits in the world. We have the most obese, most diabetic, most heart problems, of any country in the world. Pretty sad wouldn't you say? But, go to a doctor and they will not tell you to change your diet, they will just throw some sort of pills with an array of nasty side-effects at you and tell you to take those and stop back in and see him in a month.

Now, there are legitimate health problems that need drugs, but I am against administering drugs because that is the easiest way to placate some parents for some problem that may or may not exist. If you went to ten different doctors, you would get ten different diagnoses with ten different drugs that you should take.

Okay... enough of my ranting.

science - red

spanish - orange

religion - yellow

global - green

english - blue

math - purple

my backpack, too! i have got to go find that list i posted ages ago...please hold on....

FINALLY found it!

-i count stairs. any staircase i'm on...my staircase at home has 13, the one to the basement has 11..when i go up and staicase with 13 stairs i go 123 456 789 101112 13 like a pattern, with accents on the 1, 4, 7, 10, and 13...all the staircases in my school have 13 steps, so im always counting them...

-i like things to be even & symmetrical...theres somphomore textbooks sitting in the front of my english class evey day (im a freshman) and for the past few classes theres been 25 books in unequal piles...i want them to be a number divisible by three, and lined up, all going the same way, in 3 equal piles...although i've never actually fixed them

-whenever i close the lock on my locker, i spin it 3 times, then move it until it's at zero, then pull it. EVERY time i close my lock.

-i'm an altar server at my church, and whenever i serve, after mass, theres a closet with all the robes with the size #s on the hangers, and i put them in order. if i have time, i make sure the right robe is on each hanger. then i push aside half to the right and half to the left and leave

-the blankets on my bed always have to be in the same order...(and i have a bunch of blankets)

-whenever i type something for school or something, i read it over a million times before i print it, making sure i didnt make any mistakes...even though spell check said it was all right (but spell check doesnt do everything)

-when people say or type grammatical errors, i want to correct them. although not just grammatical errors. like my mom always says tape instead of dvd, and book on tape instead of book on cd and i ALWAYS correct her, which annoys her. (sorry mom!)

-i always get ready in the morning/get ready for bed in the same order: go to the bathroom, wash my hands, brush my teeth (in a methodic way) wash my face, and put on my acne medication. if it's in the morning, i change after that. if it's at night, i will already have changed & made my bed.

-i eat the same thing almost every day...chocolate chip pancakes or waffles and milk for breakfast, a scoop of peanut butter, cold noodles, carrots, chocolate pudding & a capri sun for lunch, and noodles, freezer chicken heated up in the oven, carrots, milk, and some dessert for dinner. and the noodles dont have ANYTHING on them....straight from the box to the pot. although this might be more picky eating than OCD.

-i synchronize everything. my clock in my room is synchronized to my watch, which is synchronized to my stereo, which is synchronized to my mp3 player, and my phone sets itself, and they're all the same time as my phone & other things that set themselves which i assume have very accurate times...i was changing everything for daylight saving time the other day and my mom or dad interrupted me and it kinda stressed me out because i was concentrating on keeping everything the same down to the second...

-if i step on a rock or something with one foot, i have to step on something that feels the same with my other foot or i'll feel unbalanced. also, when i step on a sidewalk crack, the next crack i step on has to be with the other foot.

SO..... now you people know why i think i have "mild" OCD...sorry this was so long

~Liz

i typed that a while ago...it was posted in may, but i had copied it from a post i made on the Monk message board....i don't go on there anymore, though.

science - red

spanish - orange

religion - yellow

global - green

english - blue

math - purple

do you want to see a picture of my room??????

it's not exactly organized.

and besides whats one more pill I already take five in the morning and 3 and night plenty of side affects and I'm fine.

science - red

spanish - orange

religion - yellow

global - green

english - blue

math - purple

Thanks wormy ^_^

~hands wormy the cupcake friendship ribbon~

~and horatio too~

Thanks for caring guys it meens a lot to know that you do.

science - red

spanish - orange

religion - yellow

global - green

english - blue

math - purple

The problem with America is that doctors are controlled by the pharmaceutical industry. They don't take the time to find out the root of the problem, they just dispense pills to make people happy. I know a school teacher who told me 75 percent of her class is on Ritalin or another such drug. 75% ???????????? Perhaps the parents ought to remove all the junk food the kids are eating. No soda! No chips, fast food or other junk with no nutritional value. What happened to good food, veggies, fruits, etc?

America has the reputation for the worst eating habits in the world. We have the most obese, most diabetic, most heart problems, of any country in the world. Pretty sad wouldn't you say? But, go to a doctor and they will not tell you to change your diet, they will just throw some sort of pills with an array of nasty side-effects at you and tell you to take those and stop back in and see him in a month.

Now, there are legitimate health problems that need drugs, but I am against administering drugs because that is the easiest way to placate some parents for some problem that may or may not exist. If you went to ten different doctors, you would get ten different diagnoses with ten different drugs that you should take.

You make a good point.

I've noticed that too myself. But doctors (yes plural) tell me what I should do first then if that doesn't work they give the medication. (hints the fact I take so many pills) Horatio though your point is strong, Everybody varies in size, weight, color (blah blah blah) etc. Pills work better for some more than others. It is sad that probably about 85% of america have to take pills but hey it's the 21st century not the 24th our technology isn't that advanced.

Wow that does not make sense

eh oh well

science - red

spanish - orange

religion - yellow

global - green

english - blue

math - purple

and besides whats one more pill I already take five in the morning and 3 and night plenty of side affects and I'm fine.

One more pill... hopefully not. You take 8 pills per day ???????????

:blink::o:blink:

science - red

spanish - orange

religion - yellow

global - green

english - blue

math - purple

well this week normally only 6.

science - red

spanish - orange

religion - yellow

global - green

english - blue

math - purple

You poor girl. I would die if I had to take 6 pills a year!!!!!!!!!!!!

science - red

spanish - orange

religion - yellow

global - green

english - blue

math - purple

You would be able to swallow the hunk of junk pills i have to swallow.

science - red

spanish - orange

religion - yellow

global - green

english - blue

math - purple

I feel so very bad for you.

science - red

spanish - orange

religion - yellow

global - green

english - blue

math - purple

I feel so very bad for you.

mmm.don't.

• 2 weeks later...

science - red

spanish - orange

religion - yellow

global - green

english - blue

math - purple

Then go to a reliable organization. It's simple. One place we went was so good, they always helped and made things better. They were bought out by another medical company and suddenly their schedules were full, and if I did get in, they would say Hi, Drug, Bye. Even if the drugs did work (with no side effects I might add) they were just terrible. I switched to another organization and they were much, much better. They actually found out the root of the problem and fixed it. I had a reoccurring infection in my big toe. We went to the new place, and they pulled the skin back on my toe to find the edge of the nail. It turns out I had a spurred nail, which the doctor cut off. It hasn't bothered me since. Not to mention, they gave me the exact same antibiotic to kill the infection that the other place did.

From that example, it's just the organization that I chose, not fault of the doctors themselves, so referring to doctors with the attitude you had was rather rude and completely uncalled for. Besides, if someone WANTS to go to a doctor, and WANTS to actually be HEALTHY for a change, you should let them!!! The reason so many RELIABLE offices are going out of business is because nobody goes to them! You know why they don't go to them? Because those people who might have gone didn't, because they all have the same cynical, rude attitude about them that you had! Being scared about the side effects is fine, just realize that it's always for the best, and don't call down those whom actually care about the lives of random people who come in to see them every day.

Oh, by the way, did that teacher actually tell you if the children worked well or not? You have no idea WHY they were on Ritalin. It's perfectly possible that 75% of her class actually needed it.

Oh, by the way, did that teacher actually tell you if the children worked well or not? You have no idea WHY they were on Ritalin. It's perfectly possible that 75% of her class actually needed it.

The teacher told me that she referred the parents to a psychologist who does not believe in 'just dispersing drugs' and finding the root of the problem and some of the parents have taken their child to them. About 90% of those children have been taken off the Ritalin and are doing 1000% better. They have helped the parents with diet changes and lifestyle changes. I think that is wonderful news.

The teacher told me that she referred the parents to a psychologist who does not believe in 'just dispersing drugs' and finding the root of the problem and some of the parents have taken their child to them. About 90% of those children have been taken off the Ritalin and are doing 1000% better. They have helped the parents with diet changes and lifestyle changes. I think that is wonderful news.

Good. =D

People have already proven that Ritalin officially stinks. xD

So even though that last point was pretty much obliterated I'm still happy. x3

Good. =D

People have already proven that Ritalin officially stinks. xD

So even though that last point was pretty much obliterated I'm still happy. x3

I didn't mean to suggest that I was obliterating your last post, I was just answering this question.