Hampsterdance Discussion Board

Elton John!

Hi! I'm dog lover, and i love Elton John, so I decided to start a topic about him. Please post whatever you want (on topic) positive or negative...dont worry about offending me! I just want to hear people's opinions. By reading this, you are officially ordered to post something if you have ever so much as heard of elton john. i mean it!!!

Press Reply To See This:

()()()()() () ()()()()() ()()() () ()

() () () () () ()() ()

() () () () () () () ()

()()()()() () () () () () () ()

() () () () () () () ()

() () () () () () ()()

()()()()() ()()()()() () ()()() () ()

()()()()() ()()() () () () ()

() () () () () ()() ()

() () () () () () () ()

() () () ()()()()() () () ()

() () () () () () () ()

() () () () () () () ()()

()() ()() () () () ()

Thanks!

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love his music!!! :)

my first reply!

i love his music too! (but u knew that! lol)

I would think you like playing his music on the piano.

yes, i just had piano lessons today! i'm working hard on "goodbye yellow brick road" bcuz my recital's on june 9 (i think) and i still have to fix a bunch of the song! i am so gonna practice it every day so its perfect! and our recital MIGHT be in the room in my piano place that has the elton john poster!!! ***very excited!*** if i didnt have ethics i would so steal that poster... but they're nice people at my piano place i wouldnt do that to them....

listening to capt. fantastic album right now...

"and someone saved my life tonight...sugarbear...you almost had your hooks in me, didn't you dear?..."

u can see my comments about that song in the "what cds do u own" topic....

well.... i love elton john! and i wish i had been born 45 years earlier so we would be the same age! but alas he is 4 times my current age...oh well i can read about his past and pretend he's still close to my age...but in one of his songs he warned me "don't go sleeping with the past/don't go praying he'll come back/take a deep breath and deny/you could love a man like that" but whatever.....(the song is "sleeping with the past" from the album of the same name) and in another part of that song he says "you're proud to love him/it's a foolish sign" but i mean its him that im proud to love and the song was written b4 i was born and he didnt even write the lyrics.....like always....i tend to overanalyze....

my first reply!

yes, i just had piano lessons today! i'm working hard on "goodbye yellow brick road" bcuz my recital's on june 9 (i think) and i still have to fix a bunch of the song! i am so gonna practice it every day so its perfect! and our recital MIGHT be in the room in my piano place that has the elton john poster!!! ***very excited!*** if i didnt have ethics i would so steal that poster... but they're nice people at my piano place i wouldnt do that to them....

"and someone saved my life tonight...sugarbear...you almost had your hooks in me, didn't you dear?..."

well.... i love elton john! and i wish i had been born 45 years earlier so we would be the same age! but alas he is 4 times my current age...oh well i can read about his past and pretend he's still close to my age...but in one of his songs he warned me "don't go sleeping with the past/don't go praying he'll come back/take a deep breath and deny/you could love a man like that" but whatever.....(the song is "sleeping with the past" from the album of the same name) and in another part of that song he says "you're proud to love him/it's a foolish sign" but i mean its him that im proud to love and the song was written b4 i was born and he didnt even write the lyrics.....like always....i tend to overanalyze....

Besides, if the poster disappeared, you would be the very first person they would ask.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

my first reply!

Besides, if the poster disappeared, you would be the very first person they would ask.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

i know! :lol: lol

Well, what can I say Elton? I don't think I'd ever accept blood from you (that is, if you're O- as well), but I did watch a few minutes of your 50th birthday party. And I saw that one guy dancing. Let me tell you. It was funny.

Thanks for the five minutes of laughter. :D

my first reply!

*~*The Grand Illusion*~*The Final Cut*~*

That there song could be said for me and Joey Ramone. You ever try dating a dead guy with Lymphoma and an Unfinished solo album? and Dee Dee is jealous.

*~*The Psychedelic Luau*~*The Astronomyy Domine*~*

Well, what can I say Elton? I don't think I'd ever accept blood from you (that is, if you're O- as well), but I did watch a few minutes of your 50th birthday party. And I saw that one guy dancing. Let me tell you. It was funny.

50th? That was 10 years ago...unless ur thinking of his 60th....idk how old u are.....

my first reply!

That there song could be said for me and Joey Ramone. You ever try dating a dead guy with Lymphoma and an Unfinished solo album? and Dee Dee is jealous.

lol...

50th? That was 10 years ago...unless ur thinking of his 60th....idk how old u are.....

None of us is sure how old Toto is. :lol:

i have finished listening to most of my ej albums in order....i accidentally skipped greatest hits 1970-2002 cuz it was by my piano not in my room where all the other ones were...it was by my piano cuz i brought it to my lesson because the sheet music book i have is all the songs from that album...so i was listening to it today, out of order. i was lisetening to that when i was downstairs and i was listening to "the captain and the kid" (2005) when i was upstairs. after that i just have rocket man: number ones. (2006 i think) so yeah....i just got back from barnes&noble and when my mom and i were driving home, she asked me if i had looked at any books about him and i said no (i know, shocker!) and i said i hope someday he writes an autobiography. i said i would buy 10 copies if he did, in case something happened to one of them. or two. or nine. im very paranoid! lol....my grandparents came today (they live 1.5 hours away) and we went to bugaboo creek steakhouse for dinner. an english teacher from my school was out waiter, he teaches 10th and 11th grade and im in ninth. id seen him around school b4 tho, so that was cool. and while we were there they played sad songs (say so much) and i was like yay! elton john! awesome.....

i have finished listening to most of my ej albums in order....i accidentally skipped greatest hits 1970-2002 cuz it was by my piano not in my room where all the other ones were...it was by my piano cuz i brought it to my lesson because the sheet music book i have is all the songs from that album...so i was listening to it today, out of order. i was lisetening to that when i was downstairs and i was listening to "the captain and the kid" (2005) when i was upstairs. after that i just have rocket man: number ones. (2006 i think) so yeah....i just got back from barnes&noble and when my mom and i were driving home, she asked me if i had looked at any books about him and i said no (i know, shocker!) and i said i hope someday he writes an autobiography. i said i would buy 10 copies if he did, in case something happened to one of them. or two. or nine. im very paranoid! lol....my grandparents came today (they live 1.5 hours away) and we went to bugaboo creek steakhouse for dinner. an english teacher from my school was out waiter, he teaches 10th and 11th grade and im in ninth. id seen him around school b4 tho, so that was cool. and while we were there they played sad songs (say so much) and i was like yay! elton john! awesome.....

Sounds like you had quite a day. :)

my first reply!

lol...

HARRY CHAPIN WANTS ME o:

my first reply!

lol...

HARRY CHAPIN WANTS ME o:

:blink:

my first reply!

lol...

HARRY CHAPIN WANTS ME o:

:blink:

Joe Walsh is a ninja. You just don't know it yet.

*~*The Psychedelic Luau*~*TheAstronomy Domine*~*

yeah, it was kinda long. i probably confused u, this is what i did on...what day was that? saturday i think

got up

ate breakfast

went through clothes in my room with my mom

cleaned downstairs

went to garage sale

went home

grandparents arrived

went to dinner

went to barnes & noble

went home

yeah....now that i think about it, v. busy day! the garage sale was to benefit the crew team at my friend's school.... converseallstar if u remember her....but anyway she wasnt there, and i was like "mom we should benefit my school's crew..." cuz i know a few people on it...but i didnt rlly mind i like rachel (converseallstar)....so it was good we supported her team....

yeah, it was kinda long. i probably confused u, this is what i did on...what day was that? saturday i think

got up

ate breakfast

cleaned downstairs

went to garage sale

went home

grandparents arrived

went to dinner

went to barnes & noble

went home

yeah....now that i think about it, v. busy day! the garage sale was to benefit the crew team at my friend's school.... converseallstar if u remember her....but anyway she wasnt there, and i was like "mom we should benefit my school's crew..." cuz i know a few people on it...but i didnt rlly mind i like rachel (converseallstar)....so it was good we supported her team....

:lol: Being a blonde, I was born confused. :lol:

ConverseAllStar!!! How is she???? We miss her. Glad to know the garage sale was of benefit to her team. You seem like such a nice and caring person.

Somewhere in your busy day, I think I would have found time to disappear for a nap. :lol: I got tired just reading your activities. :lol:

got up

ate breakfast

cleaned downstairs

went to garage sale

went home

grandparents arrived

went to dinner

went to barnes & noble

went home

ConverseAllStar!!! How is she???? We miss her. Glad to know the garage sale was of benefit to her team. You seem like such a nice and caring person.

Somewhere in your busy day, I think I would have found time to disappear for a nap. :lol: I got tired just reading your activities. :lol:

dont worry, im blonde too!

she's good, i get to see her every so often...i just saw her and a bunch of my other friends when we went to see a local prodction of "jekyll and hyde." it was very well done, the people had great voices. rachel is always fun to be around.

while we were at the garage sale, my mom was getting books cuz she's the librarian at my old school (im in highschool now! yay!) so she's always looking for a good bargain...she's finishing up her third year now! she started when i was in 7th....so yep.

yeah i was getting kinda tired when i was in my room with my mom and she's making my try on clothes & hang up clothes & put clothes in bags, and sometimes i would just collapse on my bed like "this is too much!!" but at least it made a little bit of difference in my room....the disaster area!

friday is my last day of school! of course then finals are after that....oh well....im taking my math regents & bio regents this year...hopefully they'll be easy! then english, global, spanish, and religion are just regular finals...yes, i have to take religion...its a catholic school like i mentioned in...um.....that other topic (i forget which one but whatever) my religion teacher doesnt teach us much....most days she just starts talking to us about some random topic that has nothing to do with what we're learning on the days she does decide to teach us....and sometimes we get packets for homework that are from a textbook that we don't have, so none of the answers are in our textbook, so we can never finish the packets. and then the next day we go to class and my teacher is like "oh, even i didnt now this one!" and we're like "how did u expect us to know it then?" and for the last three days we've been watching a movie (facing the giants) and meanwhile in all of our other classes, we're prepping for finals.....oh well........ill get someone else next year....and the year after that....and the year after that.....(we have to take it all 4 years) well im rambling so ill stop now...

got up

ate breakfast

cleaned downstairs

went to garage sale

went home

grandparents arrived

went to dinner

went to barnes & noble

went home

she's good, i get to see her every so often...i just saw her and a bunch of my other friends when we went to see a local prodction of "jekyll and hyde." it was very well done, the people had great voices. rachel is always fun to be around.

while we were at the garage sale, my mom was getting books cuz she's the librarian at my old school (im in highschool now! yay!) so she's always looking for a good bargain...she's finishing up her third year now! she started when i was in 7th....so yep.

yeah i was getting kinda tired when i was in my room with my mom and she's making my try on clothes & hang up clothes & put clothes in bags, and sometimes i would just collapse on my bed like "this is too much!!" but at least it made a little bit of difference in my room....the disaster area!

friday is my last day of school! of course then finals are after that....oh well....im taking my math regents & bio regents this year...hopefully they'll be easy! then english, global, spanish, and religion are just regular finals...yes, i have to take religion...its a catholic school like i mentioned in...um.....that other topic (i forget which one but whatever) my religion teacher doesnt teach us much....most days she just starts talking to us about some random topic that has nothing to do with what we're learning on the days she does decide to teach us....and sometimes we get packets for homework that are from a textbook that we don't have, so none of the answers are in our textbook, so we can never finish the packets. and then the next day we go to class and my teacher is like "oh, even i didnt now this one!" and we're like "how did u expect us to know it then?" and for the last three days we've been watching a movie (facing the giants) and meanwhile in all of our other classes, we're prepping for finals.....oh well........ill get someone else next year....and the year after that....and the year after that.....(we have to take it all 4 years) well im rambling so ill stop now...

Please... ramble all you want. :)

I remember when you would go to the library where you mother was the librarian. :) I can't believe time is flying by so fast. You will be graduating before you know it. School plays are always such fun. Jekyll and Hyde must have been a terrific play. Nice to hear you had a great time. Please tell Rachel we all say hello.

I hate trying on clothes. UCK!!! This is exactly the reason hamsters just don't do much with their fur.

Your bedroom sounds much nicer than my cage. I have my motorcycle in the mud room, my friend's motorcycle next to mine in the mud room, my bicycle next to the two motorcycles and the ramp that gets the motorcycles in and out of my cage. :lol: Now I am rambling. :lol:

Sounds like you had quite a day.

got up

ate breakfast

cleaned downstairs

went to garage sale

went home

grandparents arrived

went to dinner

went to barnes & noble

went home

Being a blonde, I was born confused.

Somewhere in your busy day, I think I would have found time to disappear for a nap. :lol: I got tired just reading your activities.

I remember when you would go to the library where you mother was the librarian. :) I can't believe time is flying by so fast. You will be graduating before you know it. School plays are always such fun. Jekyll and Hyde must have been a terrific play. Nice to hear you had a great time. Please tell Rachel we all say hello.

I hate trying on clothes. UCK!!! This is exactly the reason hamsters just don't do much with their fur.

Your bedroom sounds much nicer than my cage. I have my motorcycle in the mud room, my friend's motorcycle next to mine in the mud room, my bicycle next to the two motorcycles and the ramp that gets the motorcycles in and out of my cage. :lol: Now I am rambling. :lol:

btw, jekyll & hyde wasnt a school play, it was a community production. but thats ok, i know i didnt specify.

u must have a pretty big cage if you can fit multiple motorcycles in it! im wondering how the rest of it looks if you said that my bedroom, which i described as a disaster area, sounds nicer!

my piano recital is on saturday :o eek! i have been playing goodbye yellow brick road about 6 times a day and its still messy!!! of course, almost everyone that's going to be at this recital are family friends who will love me no matter how well i do (CAS and her family, my friend kaity and her family, this other family i know (their oldest is in 6th or 7th grade) and my family..so far ive heard of one kid i dont know) but its still bothering me. i went to my piano lesson on monday and my teaher said it was overpracticed! :wacko: so ive been trying to play it reallllly slow....but i keep speeding up. i mean, you can hear the melody all right, its just little things that keep adding up....my fingers slipping off the right notes, mixing up chords, not hitting every note, etc etc. but hopefully i will do it well enough at the recital....hopefully playing on a real piano will make me play better! keep your fingers crossed for me!

Sounds like you had quite a day.

got up

ate breakfast

cleaned downstairs

went to garage sale

went home

grandparents arrived

went to dinner

went to barnes & noble

went home

Being a blonde, I was born confused.

Somewhere in your busy day, I think I would have found time to disappear for a nap. :lol: I got tired just reading your activities.

btw, jekyll & hyde wasnt a school play, it was a community production. but thats ok, i know i didnt specify.

u must have a pretty big cage if you can fit multiple motorcycles in it! im wondering how the rest of it looks if you said that my bedroom, which i described as a disaster area, sounds nicer!

my piano recital is on saturday :o eek! i have been playing goodbye yellow brick road about 6 times a day and its still messy!!! of course, almost everyone that's going to be at this recital are family friends who will love me no matter how well i do (CAS and her family, my friend kaity and her family, this other family i know (their oldest is in 6th or 7th grade) and my family..so far ive heard of one kid i dont know) but its still bothering me. i went to my piano lesson on monday and my teaher said it was overpracticed! :wacko: so ive been trying to play it reallllly slow....but i keep speeding up. i mean, you can hear the melody all right, its just little things that keep adding up....my fingers slipping off the right notes, mixing up chords, not hitting every note, etc etc. but hopefully i will do it well enough at the recital....hopefully playing on a real piano will make me play better! keep your fingers crossed for me!

My paws are crossed for you. Although you don't need it as I am certain you will be a phenomenal success.

As for my cage... hamsters are known for packing 100 pounds of stuff into a 10 pound bag. :)

Silly 'Raishey, we all know what you mean by "stuff." :D

And good luck on your recital, DL!

Silly Cheesie... stuff for hamsters, just in case you haven't checked out my cage, is... sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, raw peanuts, and all the other little goodies that are in my cage. :rolleyes:

Silly Cheesie... stuff for hamsters, just in case you haven't checked out my cage, is... sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, raw peanuts, and all the other little goodies that are in my cage. :rolleyes:

I'm just reminded of one of those questions of the ages...

"How do you put a ton of #### in a half ton bag?"

"How do you put a ton of #### in a half ton bag?"

*thinks # = number*

By increasing the number? :unsure:

"How do you put a ton of #tuff in a half ton bag?"

*thinks # = number*

By increasing the number? :unsure:

*thinks # replaces letters in words we can't use*

look above to understand. :P

thank u! 2 more days! ive been practicing it more very slowly....its getting better!

and tomorrow's my last day of school! we got our yearbooks today, they're nice. then finals next week (english, global, spanish, religion, math regents,) and bio regents the week after. then im done! wow....

hey horatio....last time i wanted that elton john avvie, u said hampsterking said no because of copyrights. does that apply to all EJ pictures or just some? if its just some, are any of the ones in my siggy ok? or could u just tell me what kind i should look for? thanx

~DL

hey horatio....last time i wanted that elton john avvie, u said hampsterking said no because of copyrights. does that apply to all EJ pictures or just some? if its just some, are any of the ones in my siggy ok? or could u just tell me what kind i should look for? thanx

~DL

It's a little confusing. HampsterKing says you cannot use the Elton John pictures for your avatar, but in the siggy they are okay. I will have to ask more.

~DL

It's a little confusing. HampsterKing says you cannot use the Elton John pictures for your avatar, but in the siggy they are okay. I will have to ask more.

ok, thanx for doing that for me! :)

i just got the deluxe cd version of "captain fantastic and the brown dirt cowboy"!!! its a 2-cd set, with the original versions of all the songs on one cd, then live versions of all of them on the second cd. the live versions are from a concert in 1975 at wembley stadium. it also has 6 bonus tracks. (lucy in te sky with diamonds, one day at a time, philadelphia freedom, & house of cards on the first cd, then pinball wizard & saturday night's alright for fighting from the concert on cd 2)

i listened to cd2 last night (when i got it) and its really good. previously all i've had are 2 copies of the record (my parents each had a copy) so now i have my own copy, and i can put it on my mp3 player too. it also has miniature versions of the lyrics booklet, scraps booklet, and poster that came with the album, and its so funny looking at them compared to the real thing! (well they had to fit them in the cd case somehow!) it was $23 i think (or $24) but we had a gift card so it was free! (that's always the best price! lol) i <3 captain fantastic!!!

"It's hard to write a song with bitter fingers/so much to prove so few to tell you why

those old die-hards in denmark street start laughing/at the keyboard player's hollow haunted eyes

it seems to me a change is really needed/i'm sick of tra la las and la de das (la de das)

no maore long days hocking hunks of garbage/bitter fingers never swung on swinging stars (swinging stars)"

-from "bitter fingers" (track 3)

:-)

oops i gave away one of my lyrics contest answers! u dont have to edit the post horatio, though. ill just give it away as a freebie.

Oh rats... I thought I would have one answer no one else did.

:lol::lol::lol:

sorry...i gotta be fair!

oops i gave away one of my lyrics contest answers! u dont have to edit the post horatio, though. ill just give it away as a freebie.

sorry...i gotta be fair!

:blink: :blink: :blink:

Giving an old hamster a head start is totally fair. LOL

sorry...i gotta be fair!

NO ITS NOT

...Joey ramone said so.

sorry...i gotta be fair!

old? how old are u?

:lol: LOL :lol:

sorry...i gotta be fair!

:blink: BLINKS :blink:

old? how old are u?

Three and one-half years old!

For hamsters this is really old!!!!

sorry...i gotta be fair!

old? how old are u?

but the question is, how old is this in human years?

sorry...i gotta be fair!

old? how old are u?

Three and one-half. We converted over to the human years so as to not confused the humans.

sorry...i gotta be fair!

old? how old are u?

Three and one-half. We converted over to the human years so as to not confused the humans.

ah..but you obvously dont have the mentality of a 3 1/2 year old human...

i have 2 bulliten boards by my desk in my bedroom, and i took everything off them last night, and put only EJ stuff up. on one of them i have all the legit cd covers that i own (only 7...the rest are bootleg library copies!) and the other board has random stuff....the capt. fantastic poster from the cd (the one from the record is rlly big!), pictures from madame tuseaud's wax musuem, chevy ad torn out of one of my mom's magazines that has the first 4 lines to "crocodile rock" on it, picture of elton & bernie from the playbill when i went to see lestat on b'way. (they wrote the music/lyrics for it) and im gonna add more, i think that's all i hae rite now. i had way too much stuff on my bulliten boards b4, there were like several layers. now most of it is in a file folder. amazing that i could fit it all.

sorry...i gotta be fair!

old? how old are u?

Maybe a couple more months older.

sorry...i gotta be fair!

old? how old are u?

hmmmmmm...

sorry...i gotta be fair!

old? how old are u?

hmmmmmm...

:lol:

sorry...i gotta be fair!

old? how old are u?

hmmmmmm...

you love to confuse people, don't you?

Is patricia 20 or 21 now? I know you said 19 at one point, but that was a long time ago.

sorry...i gotta be fair!

old? how old are u?

hmmmmmm...

Is patricia 20 or 21 now? I know you said 19 at one point, but that was a long time ago.

19? I do not believe I have ever said 19.

sorry...i gotta be fair!

old? how old are u?

hmmmmmm...

patricia? :blink: (that's my aunt's name...)

sorry...i gotta be fair!

old? how old are u?

hmmmmmm...

Maybe I'm just losing my sanity, one day at a time. xD

Well, how old is Patricia?

sorry...i gotta be fair!

old? how old are u?

hmmmmmm...

Did your aunt ever have hamster friends? :blink:

sorry...i gotta be fair!

old? how old are u?

hmmmmmm...

I have no idea. I kicked her out when I decided we could take care of ourselves.

sorry...i gotta be fair!

old? how old are u?

hmmmmmm...

I have no idea. I kicked her out when I decided we could take care of ourselves.

Your usual answer. XD

sorry...i gotta be fair!

old? how old are u?

hmmmmmm...

Your usual answer. XD

Hmmmm...

*thinks of a snappy comeback*

sorry...i gotta be fair!

old? how old are u?

hmmmmmm...

Your usual answer. XD

Hmmmm...

*thinks of a snappy comeback*

*hears no snap* XD

sorry...i gotta be fair!

old? how old are u?

hmmmmmm...

Did your aunt ever have hamster friends? :blink:

not that i know of....who is she anyway? (ur patricia not my aunt)

hey horatio did u get that EJ picture i emailed u? i switched my email to gmail, but its the same before the @. i can send it again if u need me to.

I have been trying to think how to do this. Give me another day.

okee-dokee

hey horatio did u get that EJ picture i emailed u? i switched my email to gmail, but its the same before the @. i can send it again if u need me to.

I have been trying to think how to do this. Give me another day.

okee-dokee

I can open it, but not get it into my iphoto program. I will let HampsterKing try.

Please wait.

just got "rock of the westies" and "madman across the water" from best buy. my collection is growing! im listening to rock of hte westies at the moment, but ive been alternating.

also, i just got the soundtrack to billy elliot the musical from the library. elton wrote the music for it, and there's a bonus track with him singing 3 of the songs from it. :)

my average posts per day is now over one! this is the first time this has happened in my memory!

and im over 3000 posts total!

:D:D:D

My average was like, 30 at some point. It's dropped down to 7.81. XD

my average posts per day is now over one! this is the first time this has happened in my memory!

and im over 3000 posts total!

:D:D:D

My average was like, 30 at some point. It's dropped down to 7.81. XD

oh well i'll get there eventually...

oh, and i know ive mentioned before more than once i think that the "captain and the kid" album is from 2005 but its actually from 2006....dont know why i thought it was 05....

i remember when barnes & noble was promoting it...this was before my obsession...i remember looking at at in the cafe and being like "i dont know any of these songs" ***smacks head*** me to my past self: <liz, it was a new ORIGINAL album, of course u werent going to know any of the songs!>

sigh.

but i got it out of the library since then so...i have it now. yeah.

oh, and i know ive mentioned before more than once i think that the "captain and the kid" album is from 2005 but its actually from 2006....dont know why i thought it was 05....

i remember when barnes & noble was promoting it...this was before my obsession...i remember looking at at in the cafe and being like "i dont know any of these songs" ***smacks head*** me to my past self:

sigh.

Today I was playing the Yellow Brick Road CD and was thinking of you. The I played the Tumbleweed CD.

i remember when barnes & noble was promoting it...this was before my obsession...i remember looking at at in the cafe and being like "i dont know any of these songs" ***smacks head*** me to my past self: <liz, it was a new ORIGINAL album, of course u werent going to know any of the songs!>

sigh.

Today I was playing the Yellow Brick Road CD and was thinking of you. The I played the Tumbleweed CD.

yay! dog lover is happy!!!

awesome cds....thanx for thinking of me!

check out my new & improved siggy!

| | |

VVV

sigh.

| | |

VVV

There was a commercial on TV that is way awesome (I think Chuck Norris helped to make it-That's how awesome it is) for a classic rock station I listen to. They mentioned Elton John in it and I thought about j00.

But then Pink Floyd showed a few seconds later and that grabbed my attention. XD

*~*The Psychedelic Luau*~*The Astronomy Domine*~*

sigh.

| | |

VVV

There was a commercial on TV that is way awesome (I think Chuck Norris helped to make it-That's how awesome it is) for a classic rock station I listen to. They mentioned Elton John in it and I thought about j00.

But then Pink Floyd showed a few seconds later and that grabbed my attention. XD

thanks for thinking of me! do u remember what they said about him? or did they just say they play his music or something...

i just got "goodbye yellow brick road" on record from a garage sale!!!! its so awesome!!!! im listening ot it rite now...its funny looking at the side 1, cuz funeral for a friend takes up like half of it. g2g now...im very happy!!! (and it was only $1! such a deal!!!)

i just got "goodbye yellow brick road" on record from a garage sale!!!! its so awesome!!!! im listening ot it rite now...its funny looking at the side 1, cuz funeral for a friend takes up like half of it. g2g now...im very happy!!! (and it was only $1! such a deal!!!)

Now that is the version I would love to hear!!! You did great at this garage sale!!!

sigh.

| | |

VVV

thanks for thinking of me! do u remember what they said about him? or did they just say they play his music or something...

He was at the beginning. They showed Jimi Hendrix's "Purple Haze" and played that song, then they showed Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and played Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding.

Then they Showed The Wall and played "Is There Anybody Out There?". It was way awesome.

sigh.

| | |

VVV

He was at the beginning. They showed Jimi Hendrix's "Purple Haze" and played that song, then they showed Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and played Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding.

Then they Showed The Wall and played "Is There Anybody Out There?". It was way awesome.

awesome.....obviously they didn't play the whole song! (11 minutes!) :)

i remember when barnes & noble was promoting it...this was before my obsession...i remember looking at at in the cafe and being like "i dont know any of these songs" ***smacks head*** me to my past self:

sigh.

| | |

VVV

awesome.....obviously they didn't play the whole song! (11 minutes!) :)

I need to go to iTunes and get the original version for my iPod.

Now that is the version I would love to hear!!! You did great at this garage sale!!!

i know! and most of the other stuff they had was not very good...i told my mom to pull over so we could look for elton john records, and there it was! actually my mom saw it first...it was behind a different record....forget what....i started listening to it when i got home...little scratchy but good....i love looking at the the album sleeve thingy....with the cd that i got out of the library, there was a booklet with the lyrics, but on the record it folds out and they're all on one big spread....i was looking at it during dinner....of course now im listening to my mp3 player....technology clash! i got a new speaker at kohls...its cool...we got a good deal on it in a complicated way...i leave all the smart shopping ot my mom...lol

i know! and most of the other stuff they had was not very good...i told my mom to pull over so we could look for elton john records, and there it was! actually my mom saw it first...it was behind a different record....forget what....i started listening to it when i got home...little scratchy but good....i love looking at the the album sleeve thingy....with the cd that i got out of the library, there was a booklet with the lyrics, but on the record it folds out and they're all on one big spread....i was looking at it during dinner....of course now im listening to my mp3 player....technology clash! i got a new speaker at kohls...its cool...we got a good deal on it in a complicated way...i leave all the smart shopping ot my mom...lol

Your mother sounds really cool!!!

i know! and most of the other stuff they had was not very good...i told my mom to pull over so we could look for elton john records, and there it was! actually my mom saw it first...it was behind a different record....forget what....i started listening to it when i got home...little scratchy but good....i love looking at the the album sleeve thingy....with the cd that i got out of the library, there was a booklet with the lyrics, but on the record it folds out and they're all on one big spread....i was looking at it during dinner....of course now im listening to my mp3 player....technology clash! i got a new speaker at kohls...its cool...we got a good deal on it in a complicated way...i leave all the smart shopping to my mom...lol

yeah...but what brought that up?

i know! and most of the other stuff they had was not very good...i told my mom to pull over so we could look for elton john records, and there it was! actually my mom saw it first...it was behind a different record....forget what....i started listening to it when i got home...little scratchy but good....i love looking at the the album sleeve thingy....with the cd that i got out of the library, there was a booklet with the lyrics, but on the record it folds out and they're all on one big spread....i was looking at it during dinner....of course now im listening to my mp3 player....technology clash! i got a new speaker at kohls...its cool...we got a good deal on it in a complicated way...i leave all the smart shopping to my mom...lol

The fact that your mother would stop at garage sales and help you look.

**The Grand Illusion*~*The Final Cut*~*

I used to ask my mom if we could pull over to a grage sale to look for Pokemon cards.

Now we do that to look for Earthbound.

*~*The Psychedelic Luau*~*the Astronomy Domine*~*

oh, she loves garage sales!

That works great for both of you!

yeah...we usually go to a bunch in the summer....hopefully ill find more EJ vinyl!!!

oh, and btw mushroom_king, i was in wal-mart the other day and my mom and i were looking at cds (they didnt have any EJ ones i didnt have but anyway) we saw a cd that was lullaby versions of pink floyd songs...i was literally laughing out loud when i saw it....knew i had to tell u...and i was looking through my moms records and she has pink floyd the wall....she likes a lot of different music....her favorite band is yes.

yeah...we usually go to a bunch in the summer....hopefully ill find more EJ vinyl!!!

oh, and btw mushroom_king, i was in wal-mart the other day and my mom and i were looking at cds (they didnt have any EJ ones i didnt have but anyway) we saw a cd that was lullaby versions of pink floyd songs...i was literally laughing out loud when i saw it....knew i had to tell u...and i was looking through my moms records and she has pink floyd the wall....she likes a lot of different music....her favorite band is yes.

Ask your mother if her favorite Yes album/CD is Fragile?

Lullaby versions of Pink Floyd songs????????????

*wonders what this world is coming to* :lol:

*~*The Grand Illususion*~*The Final Cut*~*

DL, I saw those CD's, I desperatly wanted to buy it and burn it.

They also had those of U2, Coldplay, The Eagles, Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, and another one I forgot.

*~*The Psychedelic Luau*~*The Astrnomy domine*~*

• 2 weeks later...

They also had those of U2, Coldplay, The Eagles, Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, and another one I forgot.

yeah, i saw the beatles one at best buy...

and horatio, ill ask my mom but shes not home rite now..

when i was in maine on vacation (i just got back last night) i got 2 new ej albums:

-A Single Man (1978) on cd

-The Fox (1981) on record

i just put single man on my mp3 player this morning cuz i couldnt do it on vacation...im listening to the fox rite now ...i was able to listen to a little bit of it in the music store that i bought it in...they have a little booth where u can listen to records....pretty cool.....both the cd & the record are used copies but they seem to work ok...the record was $2 and the cd was $8......

single man doesnt have any bernie taupin lyrics, just gary osborne,....but i still like it (sorry bernie!) and the fox is a mixture of lyricists,,,bernie, gary, tom robinson, and a couple of instrumentals,,,,single man had 2 instrumentals as well, song for guy and reverie,..although reverie is less than a minute long so theres not much to it....so that's the shortest EJ song on my mp3 player, and funeral for a friend(love lies bleeding) is still the longest....there was another store that had a signed copy of the album "caribou" but it was $150 and i didnt think it looked like his signature, even though it had a certificate of authenticity.....and there was a microphone signed by him too but that was even more money...and im saving up to see him in concert so i tend not to splurge....sooooo i guess thats it 4 now....

yeah, i saw the beatles one at best buy...

and horatio, ill ask my mom but shes not home rite now..

I love the Fragile album.

*decides to listen to it now*

when i was in maine on vacation (i just got back last night) i got 2 new ej albums:

i just put single man on my mp3 player this morning cuz i couldnt do it on vacation...im listening to the fox rite now ...i was able to listen to a little bit of it in the music store that i bought it in...they have a little booth where u can listen to records....pretty cool.....both the cd & the record are used copies but they seem to work ok...the record was $2 and the cd was $8......

single man doesnt have any bernie taupin lyrics, just gary osborne,....but i still like it (sorry bernie!) and the fox is a mixture of lyricists,,,bernie, gary, tom robinson, and a couple of instrumentals,,,,single man had 2 instrumentals as well, song for guy and reverie,..although reverie is less than a minute long so theres not much to it....so that's the shortest EJ song on my mp3 player, and funeral for a friend(love lies bleeding) is still the longest....there was another store that had a signed copy of the album "caribou" but it was $150 and i didnt think it looked like his signature, even though it had a certificate of authenticity.....and there was a microphone signed by him too but that was even more money...and im saving up to see him in concert so i tend not to splurge....sooooo i guess thats it 4 now....

Funeral for a Friend (Love Lies Bleeding) is one of my favorites, among many of his.

I never trust the Certificate of Authenticity... unless I watched him autograph the album myself. :lol:

Funeral for a Friend (Love Lies Bleeding) is one of my favorites, among many of his.

I never trust the Certificate of Authenticity... unless I watched him autograph the album myself. :lol:

exactly! funeral for a friend (love lies bleeding) is an awesome song....i never get tired of it bcuz there's so much to it!

and btw if u can find it, you should watch the dvd vh1 classics, the making of gooodbye yellow brick road (the album) it has interviews with elton, bernie, and the band, and clips from when they were making it, and it talks about the songs. pretty awesome! ive watched it a bunch of times, i got it as a present from my mom's friend. that was back when i was reading the EJbio for the first time!

exactly! funeral for a friend (love lies bleeding) is an awesome song....i never get tired of it bcuz there's so much to it!

and btw if u can find it, you should watch the dvd vh1 classics, the making of gooodbye yellow brick road (the album) it has interviews with elton, bernie, and the band, and clips from when they were making it, and it talks about the songs. pretty awesome! ive watched it a bunch of times, i got it as a present from my mom's friend. that was back when i was reading the EJbio for the first time!

Thanks. I would really like to see the making of the album as that is one of my favorite.

I never get tired of listening to that album.

Thanks. I would really like to see the making of the album as that is one of my favorite.

I never get tired of listening to that album.

me neither. the song "gybr" is the top listened-to song on my mp3 player. i think its somewhere about 70 times played. i have to check.

the other day i put a lot of quotes from the EJ biography but i wasnt paying attention and it got too long so when it told me it was too long i went back and it was gone. :-( so i was thinking maybe i should make a topic for my siggy....

the other day i put a lot of quotes from the EJ biography but i wasnt paying attention and it got too long so when it told me it was too long i went back and it was gone. :-( so i was thinking maybe i should make a topic for my siggy....

:lol: I remember when Mushroom_king was saying the same thing. :lol:

A topic for your siggy might be a great idea.

yeah....now i forget do u just click on add new topic or do u have to ask a mod? or is that just with polls?

yeah....now i forget do u just click on add new topic or do u have to ask a mod? or is that just with polls?

Be brave...

go ahead...

click on Add New Topic...

ZAP!!!

Be brave...

go ahead...

click on Add New Topic...

ZAP!!!

k i get it!

my cuzin sez i look like elton john in my new sunglasses

lol....

btw, i bought some album frames yesterday (they were on sale) so im planning on putting up my ej albums in my room...yay!!!

even tho my mom says they're technically for Christmas, but i told her its Christmas in july...lol...i already put capt. fantastic and the brown dirt cowboy in one of them and hung it on the nail that my calendar was on...of course now i have nowhere to put my calendar but elton is way better...i wonder if i can find an elton john calendar? (let me know if anyone sees one...)

lol....

btw, i bought some album frames yesterday (they were on sale) so im planning on putting up my ej albums in my room...yay!!!

even tho my mom says they're technically for Christmas, but i told her its Christmas in july...lol...i already put capt. fantastic and the brown dirt cowboy in one of them and hung it on the nail that my calendar was on...of course now i have nowhere to put my calendar but elton is way better...i wonder if i can find an elton john calendar? (let me know if anyone sees one...)

*~*the Grand Illusion*~*The final cut*~*

I have 2-Big Surprise!-Pink Floyd records and one Ramones record. I haven;t hung them up yet and I want more records.

Have you tried Amazon, eBay, and Google? That's where I found my-Hey, another surprise!-Pink Floyd calender. I don't recall seeing one, but they probably do exist.

*~*The Psychedelic Luau*~*The astronomy Domine*~*

lol....

*~*the Grand Illusion*~*The final cut*~*

I have 2-Big Surprise!-Pink Floyd records and one Ramones record. I haven;t hung them up yet and I want more records.

Have you tried Amazon, eBay, and Google? That's where I found my-Hey, another surprise!-Pink Floyd calender. I don't recall seeing one, but they probably do exist.

*~*The Psychedelic Luau*~*The astronomy Domine*~*

awesome...i have to ask my dad to put more nails in my wall so i can hang more...

no, i havent yet. ur probably right...ill check (if i remember) ...lol

Great picture!!!

thanks! i had to take it from the side bcuz the flash would reflect on the glass if i took it straight on...and if i didnt use the flash, it would be blurry. vicious circle!!

Great picture!!!

thanks! i had to take it from the side bcuz the flash would reflect on the glass if i took it straight on...and if i didnt use the flash, it would be blurry. vicious circle!!

I hate when that happens. If anyone knows a way around the flash reflecting, I would sure appreciate your advice...

EXCEPT for Arkcher who needs to be finishing his story!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

i made two totally awesome montages on my computer last night....they're both montages of elton john pictures set to music, one is to the song "captain fantastic and the brown dirt cowboy" and the other is to the song "the captain and the kid"

i rearranged the order of the pictures so that some of them would fit it with what was being said in the song, like pictures of bernie when they mention him, pictures of the band when the line "too hot for the band" comes on....and other stuff. the effects that change one picture to another are random, but i had to figure out where to put the pictures that i wanted in specific places, so every time i wanted to see if i had gotten it right, i had to watch the whole thing and write down stuff like "move this one two places forward, switch these two, etc." took a LONG time but it was so worth it! idk if im able to post them here cuz i have no idea what format they are, and anyway they're supposed to be watched on a tv anyway....the program i made them with is called "Picture To TV"....anyway i showed my parents this morning and they said the montages were really good! im so happy..... :D:D:D

where is everyone? i mean, i know its summer, but im still here. why cant other people be?

***waits around for other HD members...*** :rolleyes:

I hung around all day... nothing. :(

Then I kept checking back... no one.

I go off for a ride on my motorcycle and then voila... posts, but everyone is gone.

Hurry back.

I love all the pictures in your siggy!!! Not one duplicate!!! :D

where is everyone? i mean, i know its summer, but im still here. why cant other people be?

I go off for a ride on my motorcycle and then voila... posts, but everyone is gone.

Hurry back.

oh good! i was hoping i didnt have any...

Hurry back.

No, you did great!!!!!!!!!

I really love all those pics. :)

Hurry back.

two more album frames up! i found nails in my wall...now i have captain f, greatest hits, and tumbleweed connection up. i tried gybr but it wasnt fitting....of course maybe i should have tried taking the records out first...hmm.....

Hurry back.

two more album frames up! i found nails in my wall...now i have captain f, greatest hits, and tumbleweed connection up. i tried gybr but it wasnt fitting....of course maybe i should have tried taking the records out first...hmm.....

I wouldn't have thought of that.

i made two totally awesome montages on my computer last night....they're both montages of elton john pictures set to music, one is to the song "captain fantastic and the brown dirt cowboy" and the other is to the song "the captain and the kid"

i rearranged the order of the pictures so that some of them would fit it with what was being said in the song, like pictures of bernie when they mention him, pictures of the band when the line "too hot for the band" comes on....and other stuff. the effects that change one picture to another are random, but i had to figure out where to put the pictures that i wanted in specific places, so every time i wanted to see if i had gotten it right, i had to watch the whole thing and write down stuff like "move this one two places forward, switch these two, etc." took a LONG time but it was so worth it! idk if im able to post them here cuz i have no idea what format they are, and anyway they're supposed to be watched on a tv anyway....the program i made them with is called "Picture To TV"....anyway i showed my parents this morning and they said the montages were really good! im so happy..... :D:D:D

I should really get around to making that tribute video. XD

Hurry back.

I wouldn't have thought of that.

of course, even without the records, its still pretty thick for an album sleeve cuz it unfolds into this kind of three-fold thing...so idk how much of a difference taking out the records would be...ill try later...

my mom and i drove to my grandparents' house today...b4 we left i made 4 mix cds of ej music to listen to in the car cuz i dont have an itrip (or the equivelent) so this was cool...i went through all of the albums and picked about three songs i liked from each and put them together randomly...pretty cool...

i found a message board on the elton john official website! i have spent a lot of the past few days there....amazing to be with so many other people that feel the same way i do (and sometimes more!) if anyone's on the elton john website, click on "community." and i didnt say any urls! ull just have to figure it out yourself! (very easy)

this is from a member on the EJ message board, its about the songs from "captain fantastic and the brown dirt cowboy"

Hi there,

I will explain the title track:Captain Fantastic and the brown dirt cowboy, as I interpret it, and let others help you out with the rest of the tracks, if they would be so kind.

Obviously Captain F. is Elton, and The brown dirt cowboy is Bernie. This refers to Bernie's obsession with America / cowboys / the wild west.

"Captain Fantastic " tells the story of Elton and Bernie and their rise to the top. From their humble working class beginings: "Captain F. raised and regimented" (Elton was obviously called Reg. so a pun on his name, but also he was "Regimented" by his dad who was strict, and was in an R.A.F. regiment. "Hardly a hero, just someone his mother might know" Elton was no hero, overweight, bespectacled, a bit of a loner, and only "known" to his mother, which implies his dad didn't know him. Which he did'nt, not as he should do.

"Very clearly a case for cornflakes and classics" When Bernie and Elton were writing, it was breakfast, then writing all day. The songs written over breakfast, became classics.

"Two teas both with sugar please, in the back of an alley" When they first met, they went to a cafe, ordered two teas, and the cafe was literally in an alley behind their record company. Also it refers to "tin pan alley" the heart of the musc industry.

"While little dirt cowboys turned brown in their saddles, sweet chocolate biscuits" This is the band members coming along, from their world. They (the sweet chocolate biscuits) are the perfect compliment for the two teas.

"Red rosy apples in summer" describes Bernie's experience in the summer of 67 in Lincolnshire, and "hey mom do the paper's say anything good" is a reference to when Bernie saw the advert for singers and songwriters in the New musical express paper. "Are there chances in life for little dirt cowboys, should I make my way out of my home in the woods" Should Bernie reply to the advert and take his chance in life.

The next verse simply says: They were growing, getting good feedback from their record company and the public, and could see their potential - "the honey the hive could be holding". The "weak winged young sparrow that starves in the winter" means -most people fail and starve in the music industry, but could they survive.

"and the 68 summer festival wall flowers are thinning": simply means -it's now late 1968.

"For cheap easy meals, are hardly the home on the range"- At first they were leading the simple life, but ultimately they made good, and Bernie got his ranch.

"too hot for the band, with a desperate desire to change"- Elton was too good for Bluesology, and desperate to stop touring, he made efforts to change, and went his own way.

"we've thrown in the towel too many times, out for the count when you're down". Elton had many poor selling early releases, and their songwriting for other artisits were often mediocre and not what they wanted. They came close to quitting but never did.

"from the end of the world to your town"-They conquered the world.

"all this talk of jesus coming back to see us, couldn't fool us". Not sure about this line, but I think that it means that the "Gods of the music industry made false promises to come back to see them with a "deal" but never did.

The last few lines are straight forward.

What unbelieveably marvellous lyrics Bernie Taupin writes! Compare his skill to the average pop song. GENIUS.

another member:

I would like to suggest a tweak or two to what you wrote. Of course, song interpretations are very subjective, and what I have to say may be full of lard. But here goes..

1) One of Elton and Bernie's pre-Empty Sky songs was "Regimental Sargeant Zippo." which just emphasises your point on "raised and regimented."

2) "Very clearly a case for cornflakes and classics" - This line is in the "Reg" verse - before Bernie appears in the song. So, I think it refers to Reg's lonely days, reading books while eating breakfast...or perhaps even listening to classics like Beatles' records.

3) "Two teas, both with sugar please, in the back of an alley..." is also before we meet Bernie in the lyric. I suggest it is about Elton's beginnings as a tea boy at Mills Music, which in fact was located in Denmark Place, an alleyway behind Denmark Street.

4) I never saw "sweet chocolate biscuits" as referring to band members. I always assumed Bernie was a fan, in his youth, of...well...sweet chocolate biscuits.

5) My take on the "Jesus coming back to see us" line may be a unique one, but I believe it is a reference to rumors of Bob Dylan coming back stage to meet Elton and Bernie in the early days. Certainly, Bernie would be aware of Dylan being called "Jesus" at that time.

Again, apologies for picking apart your well-thought-out post., which I loved.

2nd track: "Tower of Babel"

If you take a good look a the cover of the album, there are some weird "people" "characters". Some of these, I think, specifically relate to this track. It's easy to explain this track. Bernie Taupin launches a scathing attack on the record industry. All the references within the song are derogatory. There are references to sin and the Bible throughout.

The tower of Babel was a tower built (in Babylon I think) in the Bible. The people built it to get to God, and Heaven. But God destroyed it, as it was full of sinful and immoral people. So that's what he thinks of the people in the record industry!

If you "Sit in your Ivory tower" You are sheltered, and seperated from the real world. Bernie places them in Ivory young towers. (Young people, new industry)

A sinful person in the Bible is Cain (he killed his brother Abel) Abel was meant to be "pure". So when Elton met the record bosses it was "Cain meet Abel". Two cities destroyed by God for being immoral were Sodom and Gomarrah. "Sodom meet Gomarrah".

In short, I don't think Bernie has a good word to say about the record industry, particuarly the powerful owners.

"Jesus don't save the guys in the tower of Babel". There's no hope for them.

When you consider the problems that Elton went on to have with drugs the third verse is very prophetic.

here is track 3 "Bitter Fingers".

This one is straight forward. If you are bitter about something, you resent doing it. The song is about Elton and Bernie being bitter (resentful) about writing songs for other people during their early days with "Dick James Music".

"It's hard to write a song with bitter fingers"

Elton and Bernie were asked to write for other artists, and "to churn them out thick and fast". Most of the songs were poor because they were having to write them on demand to a style to suit other artisits. Usually sentimental / love songs.

"Oh can you knock a line or two together for a friend, sentimental tear indusive with a happy end".

This, in the end, turned out to be a good thing. Because they were poor songs, few artisits wanted to perform them, so when they were depressed and down, it was suggested that they should perform them theirselves. When they wrote for theirselves, their own styles came through, and they started to write great songs. A chap called Steve Brown, heard the songs that they had written for theiselves, and said it was better than the commercial songs thay had written for other artisits. He told them to write for theirselves, and stop writing to a formula for the record company.

The song also refers to Elton having bitter fingers playing as well as writing: He was sick of touring the small venues with Bluesology, going from one club / pub to another, often with more than one booking in one day. Travelling around in vans carrying all their instruments from one pub to another..

"I'm going on the circuit, doing all the clubs".

and...

"It seems to me a change is really needed, I'm sick of tra la las and la de das, no more long days hocking hunks of garbage".

Track 4 "TELL ME WHEN THE WHISTLE BLOWS".

This song is only about Bernie (I think). I know that he was very homesick when he went to London to meet and work with Elton and he often longed to go home to Lincolnshire. He missed his quiet country life, and his family:

"And I still feel the need of your apron strings once in a while". (This means to be "tied" to your mother, to be a bit of a mummy's boy, to be homesick).

The song deals with Bernie's journeys back home, and his longing to go back to visit his home town. When a train departs a station (in England) a station guard will check his watch, check the doors and BLOW HIS WHISTLE. A train obviously has steel wheels:

"Wake me up, and tell me when the whitle blows".

"I want to feel your wheels of steel, underneath my itching heels".

The song shows Bernie's experience that London was so very different to his rural life back in the Lincolnshire countryside. London has drunks on the streets. Londoners are less friendly:

"There's a dusty old gutter he's lying in now" ( I don't think this refers to a specific individual).

"With a cold vacant stare, he said nine" (cold and unfriendly)

"It's not so bad, but I really do love the land". London is only bearable. Bernie loved countryside, and ranches!

The song also notes Bernies concerns that when he went back home, would his friends think he was no longer a friend, now that he had a "better life" in London. Would he be a changed person?

"Will the street kids remember can I still shoot a fast cue (play pool or snooker) Has this country kid still got his soul"

Another brilliant lyric by Bernie. What a superstar!

TRACK 5 "SOMEONE SAVED MY LIFE TONIGHT"

In 1968 Bernie walked into their flat to find Elton with his head in the gas oven, in what is thought to be more of a cry for help, than a serious suicide attempt. Bernie laughed rather than panicked. (The windows were open for the gas to escape).

Elton was engaged and due to marry Linda anne woodrow. He was altar bound. He realised that he could not go through with the wedding and considered suicide as a way out.

"You almost had your hooks in me, didn't you dear, you nearly had me roped and tied, altar bound, hypnotised, sweet freedom whispered in my ear, your'e a butterfly, and butterflies are free to fly, fly away, high away, bye, bye".

His bride to be, was "well off", and came from a wealthy family that owned a pickle factory. She was more middle class than working class, and it was she that drove the marriage plans forward. She dominated him:

"I'm strangled by your haunted social scene, just a pawn outplayed by a dominating queen".

Elton very nearly went through with the wedding. He reflects that it would have been like dying / drowning / hanging:

"I almost walked into the deep end of the river" also "A slip noose hanging in my darkest dreams"

He refers to her wealth:

"Clinging to your stocks and bonds" "Paying your h.p. demands forever". Now H.P. is hire purchase where you pay each week / month for something (before credit cards). She did not need H.P. she was wealthy, so I believe Bernie is implying that her financial contribution to their relationship was making Elton feel that he owed her something. Or she felt Elton was owned by her and her wealth:

Elton was "saved" by Bernie, but the song also refers to Long John Baldry who is the "sugar bear". In a conversation with Bernie and LJB, in a pub, where they have all had a lot to drink: LJ Baldry tells Elton that he should not be getting married and Elton decides that he will not get married:

"and it's one more beer and I don't here you anymore"

Elton goes round to Linda's at 4a.m. to tell her that he is not getting married.

"It's 4 o'clock in the morning d*** it, listen to me good, I'm sleeping with myself tonight, saved in time..

(Elton also knew if he got married, he would lose his musical career)

"thank God my music's still alive".

Thank God it is. Some of Bernie's best lyrics.

TRACK 6. (Gotta get a) MEAL TICKET:

The saying "To get a meal ticket" has 2 very similar meanings: Originally charities would go around the streets of large cities, and hand out a "meal ticket" to the homeless sleeping rough on the streets. The homeless person could go to a building where they could sit down and enjoy a free meal. Over the years "to get a meal ticket" has come to mean, to obtain a means of making a livelihood / earning a living.

The song reflects on Elton's (and probably Bernie's) lowly status when they set out in life. Elton was an office boy in Denmark street London for "Mills music". Elton was the junior, and made the tea! Bernie makes out that they were desperately poor, but I interpret this as a bit of an exaggeration for humourous affect. A bit tongue in cheek / humourous. They clearly had limited earnings and had to rent somewhere to live,so money was tight, but Elton was also earning money from playing in the Northwood Hills pub, so It is hard to know exactly. I believe that the song exagerates their "poverty" for humourous affect.

The humourous lines like "I'd have a cardiac if I had such luck" (If I were luckier I would be dead). "Lucky losers landing on skid row". (The poor homeless on Skid row, are more fortunate)! Skid Row, was a part of a city where the poor and homeless walked / lived. (Was Skid road).

The song then refers specifically to Elton and Bernie obtaining their "Meal ticket" / finding their livelihood, when they were offered a recording contract with Dick James Music.. Obviously when you get a record contract you shake hands on the deal and have to sign a contract to agree the terms: "Shake a hand if you have to" "When the lines been signed, you're someone else, a meal ticket does the rest" Bernie has another moan at the record industry and it's power and greed, when they made that offer of a contract to Elton and Bernie: "With 50 percent, that's hard to handle".

track 7 "BETTER OFF DEAD"

The song reflects on Elton & Bernies early days as professional songwriters for Dick James music (the Beatles record company at the time).

Remember they were writing songs for other people and in a style that was demanded from them to fit the trends at the time. In an interview in 1976 Elton described this time, and their songs as; "When we signed with Dick James Music, it was like two years of misery, writing garbage"

I don't think that Bernie means that things were so bad, that they believed that they would be better off dead (although he might do). I think he means that living in London, in the poor surroundings, writing for other people, that they would be "better off dead" than remaining in that situation in the future, and that things had to change.

To have a "thorn in your side" means to be unhappy / have an irritating situation / to have distress / endure a hard time. Bernie is refering to those first 2 years, as Elton did in his interview.

You will remember from the song "Tell me when the whistle blows" that Bernie was a country boy, and not only disliked London, but he found it to be a big culture shock for a town boy. He specifically recounts with horror the worst aspects of LONDON:

Vandalism; "There was a face on a hoarding that someone had drawn on"

Crime: "Away in the distance was a blue flashing light" "Someone's in trouble somewhere tonight" "We watched the arrested get taken away"

Litter and garbage on the streets "The wind blows away all of yesterday's news".

I also think that there is another reference to Eltons girlfriend -as per earlier song- S.S.M.L. TONIGHT- as an English Rose can describe a pretty English girl.

"If a thorn of a ROSE is a thorn in your side, then your better of dead if you haven't yet died"

The song isn't all doom and gloom. A chap called Steve Brown a promotions man for DJM told Elton and Bernie not to be so dissallusioned, and to stop writing to a formula, to ignore what was asked of them, and just to do their own thing in their own style. I think the song refers to this point, and notes their new enthusiasm and readiness to write;

"Cos the steams in the boiler the coals in the fire, if you ask how I am then I'll just say inspired".

The song reflects on all the negative images that Bernie remembers in their first two years, when they struggled, and Bernie's shock at the negative side of living in a capital city. But Elton very cleverly gave the song an upbeat rhythm, and the band were also inspired in what is possibly Elton's most DISTINCTIVE sound.

Wonderful!

TRACK 8 WRITING:

This song is in stark contrast to the depressing lyrics of "Better off dead". WRITING is a light hearted celebration of Elton and Bernies happy times when they wrote songs for theirselves, in their own style. When Bernie moved down to London in 1967 from Lincolnshire, he had nowhere to live, so shared Elton's room, in "Frome court". This was a large house that had been made into flats / maisonettes and they shared the flat with Sheila (Elton's mum) and Fred (his step dad). Although moving to London had many drawbacks for Bernie (as detailed in early tracks) Bernie found that writing with Elton was joyful, and their friendship was formed for life. They were great friends, and admired each others talent immensly. The song celebrates there abilities, and their success. The whole song has a happy, simple feel, to it that reflects how they felt.

The song simply recalls some of the details of this time, and how they were so obsessed with writing all the time, that they forgot to look after other aspects of life, like shopping, washing up, or even bothering to do anything else:

"Is there anything left, maybe steak and eggs,waking up to washing up, making up your bed, my razor blade could use a better edge".

Elton and Bernie's friendship grew. They needed each other. Neither one could do it on their own:

"I know you, you know me, It's always half and half".

They knew that some of the songs were very good, but would other people think so, would Elton and Bernie like them when the heard them the next day, would people like them in years to come?

"Will the things we wrote today, sound as good tomorrow. Will we still be writing in approaching years".

The song stresses that turn of fortune when they wrote in their own style:

"Cause writing's lightin' up, and I like life enough to see it through".

My favorite lines are the following ones. For me Bernie is "showing off", for himself and Elton. He is saying we are getting very good at this! I can construct DIFFICULT and UNUSUAL lyrics, and Elton will still be able to make it into a great song. I might be reading too much into it, but I don't think so. I mean, how hard are these lines. For me Bernie is celebrating their skills with these lines:

"Inspiration for navigation of our new found craft"

"But don't disturb us if you hear us tryin' to instigate the structure of another line or two"

Bernie knew that Elton could turn complex phrase into great songs, as Elton knew Bernie would provide lyrics that would "sound as good tomorrow". And they certainly do. WRITING at it's best.

last two songs - hopefully later

hope u enjoyed this!

ta-da! new cd!

87524.jpg

"Here and There" its a 2-cd set, live, 1st cd is from london, 2nd from madison square garden. the msg one is from the concert with john lennon in which they sang together on "whatever gets you thru the night" "lucy in the sky with diamonds" and "i saw her standing there"

John_Elton_live.jpg

sorry the picture's kind of dark....

i put the songs on my mp3 player this morning....have to go update my siggy count!

~Liz

ta-da! new cd!

87524.jpg

"Here and There" its a 2-cd set, live, 1st cd is from london, 2nd from madison square garden. the msg one is from the concert with john lennon in which they sang together on "whatever gets you thru the night" "lucy in the sky with diamonds" and "i saw her standing there"

John_Elton_live.jpg

i put the songs on my mp3 player this morning....have to go update my siggy count!

~Liz

*~*The Grand Illusion*~*The Final cut*~*

John looks STEAMY hot in that picture cool. I didn't know that album existed

*~*The psychedelic Luau*~*The Astronomy Domine*~*

ta-da! new cd!

87524.jpg

John_Elton_live.jpg

~Liz

HA YOU MAKE ME LAUGH!

ta-da! new cd!

87524.jpg

John_Elton_live.jpg

~Liz

HA YOU MAKE ME LAUGH!

SHUT UP D= JOEY RAMONE IS HAWT AND JOO KNOWS IT

ta-da! new cd!

87524.jpg

John_Elton_live.jpg

~Liz

HA YOU MAKE ME LAUGH!

SHUT UP D= JOEY RAMONE IS HAWT AND JOO KNOWS IT

I never said he wasn't ;]

ta-da! new cd!

87524.jpg

John_Elton_live.jpg

~Liz

(i happen to agree!) he is my #2 to elton! yes the album does exist look for it in the elton john section at best buy or someplace...it looks like the picture i posted...the album is from 76 but the concerts are from 74. (may & november)

Track List:

"Here" (London, Royal Festival Hall)

Skyline Pigeon

Border Song

Take Me To The Pilot

Country Comfort

Love Song [with Lesley Duncan]

Bad Side Of The Moon

Burn Down The Mission

Honky Cat

Crocodile Rock

Candle In The Wind

Your Song

Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting)

"There" (NYC, MSG)

Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding

Rocket Man (I Think It's Going To Be A Long Long Time)

Take Me To The Pilot

Bennie And The Jets

Grey Seal

Daniel

You're So Static

Whatever Gets You Through The Night [with John Lennon]

Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds [with John Lennon]

I Saw Her Standing There [with John Lennon]

Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me

Your Song

The B---- Is Back

i realized why the picture looked so dark...we just got a new computer and the brightness wasnt up very high....so now i can see john better! :-)

ta-da! new cd!

87524.jpg

John_Elton_live.jpg

~Liz

(i happen to agree!) he is my #2 to elton! yes the album does exist look for it in the elton john section at best buy or someplace...it looks like the picture i posted...the album is from 76 but the concerts are from 74. (may & november)

Track List:

Skyline Pigeon

Border Song

Take Me To The Pilot

Country Comfort

Bad Side Of The Moon

Burn Down The Mission

Honky Cat

Crocodile Rock

Candle In The Wind

Your Song

"There" (NYC, MSG)

Take Me To The Pilot

Bennie And The Jets

Grey Seal

Daniel

You're So Static

Your Song

The B---- Is Back

i realized why the picture looked so dark...we just got a new computer and the brightness wasnt up very high....so now i can see john better! :-)

Joey Ramone is my favourite, then Keith Moon.

ta-da! new cd!

87524.jpg

John_Elton_live.jpg

~Liz

Track List:

Skyline Pigeon

Border Song

Take Me To The Pilot

Country Comfort

Bad Side Of The Moon

Burn Down The Mission

Honky Cat

Crocodile Rock

Candle In The Wind

Your Song

"There" (NYC, MSG)

Take Me To The Pilot

Bennie And The Jets

Grey Seal

Daniel

You're So Static

Your Song

The B---- Is Back

and where's john lennon?

ta-da! new cd!

87524.jpg

John_Elton_live.jpg

~Liz

Track List:

Skyline Pigeon

Border Song

Take Me To The Pilot

Country Comfort

Bad Side Of The Moon

Burn Down The Mission

Honky Cat

Crocodile Rock

Candle In The Wind

Your Song

"There" (NYC, MSG)

Take Me To The Pilot

Bennie And The Jets

Grey Seal

Daniel

You're So Static

Your Song

The B---- Is Back

and where's john lennon?

Somewhere in the Top 5, probably...

you know you need a boyfriend when dead rockstars and cartoon characters seem amazingly hot

ta-da! new cd!

87524.jpg

John_Elton_live.jpg

~Liz

Track List:

Skyline Pigeon

Border Song

Take Me To The Pilot

Country Comfort

Bad Side Of The Moon

Burn Down The Mission

Honky Cat

Crocodile Rock

Candle In The Wind

Your Song

"There" (NYC, MSG)

Take Me To The Pilot

Bennie And The Jets

Grey Seal

Daniel

You're So Static

Your Song

The B---- Is Back

and where's john lennon?

you know you need a boyfriend when dead rockstars and cartoon characters seem amazingly hot

so true!

ta-da! new cd!

87524.jpg

John_Elton_live.jpg

~Liz

Track List:

Skyline Pigeon

Border Song

Take Me To The Pilot

Country Comfort

Bad Side Of The Moon

Burn Down The Mission

Honky Cat

Crocodile Rock

Candle In The Wind

Your Song

"There" (NYC, MSG)

Take Me To The Pilot

Bennie And The Jets

Grey Seal

Daniel

You're So Static

Your Song

The B---- Is Back

and where's john lennon?

ditto ditto ditto....for me it's dead & gay rockstars........and i have never had a boyfriend....sigh :closedeyes:

ta-da! new cd!

87524.jpg

John_Elton_live.jpg

~Liz

Track List:

Skyline Pigeon

Border Song

Take Me To The Pilot

Country Comfort

Bad Side Of The Moon

Burn Down The Mission

Honky Cat

Crocodile Rock

Candle In The Wind

Your Song

"There" (NYC, MSG)

Take Me To The Pilot

Bennie And The Jets

Grey Seal

Daniel

You're So Static

Your Song

The B---- Is Back

and where's john lennon?

ditto ditto ditto....for me it's dead & gay rockstars........and i have never had a boyfriend....sigh :closedeyes:

There is plenty of time for a boyfriend. Trust me on this one! :lol:

Enjoy your life and live it to the fullest. You will have a boyfriend before you know it.

ta-da! new cd!

87524.jpg

John_Elton_live.jpg

~Liz

Track List:

Skyline Pigeon

Border Song

Take Me To The Pilot

Country Comfort

Bad Side Of The Moon

Burn Down The Mission

Honky Cat

Crocodile Rock

Candle In The Wind

Your Song

"There" (NYC, MSG)

Take Me To The Pilot

Bennie And The Jets

Grey Seal

Daniel

You're So Static

Your Song

The B---- Is Back

and where's john lennon?

Dude! How come all the guys that are like REALLY HAWT turn out to be gay????? WHY!!!!!!!!!?

I don't know if I can put this on here but I'll try

<---- these are the sunglasses that my cousin says make me look like Elton John.?????????? do you see any resemblance???? 'Cause I sure don't

ta-da! new cd!

87524.jpg

John_Elton_live.jpg

~Liz

Track List:

Skyline Pigeon

Border Song

Take Me To The Pilot

Country Comfort

Bad Side Of The Moon

Burn Down The Mission

Honky Cat

Crocodile Rock

Candle In The Wind

Your Song

"There" (NYC, MSG)

Take Me To The Pilot

Bennie And The Jets

Grey Seal

Daniel

You're So Static

Your Song

The B---- Is Back

and where's john lennon?

Dude! How come all the guys that are like REALLY HAWT turn out to be gay????? WHY!!!!!!!!!?

i know!

There is plenty of time for a boyfriend. Trust me on this one!

Enjoy your life and live it to the fullest. You will have a boyfriend before you know it.

but why does it seem like ALL my other friends have had a boyfriend? or at least gotten close to having one? or "sort of" had one? and meanwhile i have had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ta-da! new cd!

87524.jpg

John_Elton_live.jpg

~Liz

Track List:

Skyline Pigeon

Border Song

Take Me To The Pilot

Country Comfort

Bad Side Of The Moon

Burn Down The Mission

Honky Cat

Crocodile Rock

Candle In The Wind

Your Song

"There" (NYC, MSG)

Take Me To The Pilot

Bennie And The Jets

Grey Seal

Daniel

You're So Static

Your Song

The B---- Is Back

and where's john lennon?

i know!

but why does it seem like ALL my other friends have had a boyfriend? or at least gotten close to having one? or "sort of" had one? and meanwhile i have had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All the hot guys are either gay, married, or dead -_-

<---- these are the sunglasses that my cousin says make me look like Elton John.?????????? do you see any resemblance???? 'Cause I sure don't

Haha, nice.

Thanka-Lanks!

ta-da! new cd!

87524.jpg

John_Elton_live.jpg

~Liz

Track List:

Skyline Pigeon

Border Song

Take Me To The Pilot

Country Comfort

Bad Side Of The Moon

Burn Down The Mission

Honky Cat

Crocodile Rock

Candle In The Wind

Your Song

"There" (NYC, MSG)

Take Me To The Pilot

Bennie And The Jets

Grey Seal

Daniel

You're So Static

Your Song

The B---- Is Back

and where's john lennon?

i know!

It's Just not fair!

Seriuosly boyfriends are a waste of time if you ask me.

No! You are much prettier!

In your opinion. I don't see myself as pretty,or ugly. I see me as well,..me.

No! You are much prettier!

In your opinion. I don't see myself as pretty,or ugly. I see me as well,..me.

True, it is my opinion. But I still say you are very pretty!

thanka-lanks

Hey guess what? I'm on an iphone! It's in an apple store in a mall...totally awesomee! I wish they weren't so expensive...oh well ttyl

~liz

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

*loves the iphone*

im baaack! lol im back in the apple store i was in two days ago....although im on a computer now, it's easier to type. when i was typing on the iphone, if i accidentally held the backspace button for too long, it would erase everything i'd written. so what i typed up there was probably the third time i'd tried to type that! it was a longer post, but then it got accidentally erased...oh well....and i asked someone how to stop it deleting everything once it had started, but she said u couldn't. :( but other than that it's pretty awesome! im standing right next to one right now........now im looking through the ipod part of it...wide variety of music, from elvis to justin timberlake, but no elton. pity. no beatles either. im listening to herman's hermits rite now.....

now im looking through all the other things....it does so much!

***wastes time looking at every aspect of iphone***

ok im back! figured i might as well finish this post....ttyl!

~Liz

Hey guess what? I'm on an iphone! It's in an apple store in a mall...totally awesomee! I wish they weren't so expensive...oh well ttyl

~liz

*loves the iphone*

im baaack! lol im back in the apple store i was in two days ago....although im on a computer now, it's easier to type. when i was typing on the iphone, if i accidentally held the backspace button for too long, it would erase everything i'd written. so what i typed up there was probably the third time i'd tried to type that! it was a longer post, but then it got accidentally erased...oh well....and i asked someone how to stop it deleting everything once it had started, but she said u couldn't. :( but other than that it's pretty awesome! im standing right next to one right now........now im looking through the ipod part of it...wide variety of music, from elvis to justin timberlake, but no elton. pity. no beatles either. im listening to herman's hermits rite now.....

~Liz

The Apple Store is my favorite place to shop!!!

~liz

*loves the iphone*

~Liz

i wish there was one closer to me....but this weekend my family went to my aunt&uncle's second house, and the aple store was at a mall that we stopped at on the way there and on the way back.....oh well! maybe there is one closer...i forget....not in our local mall, anyway.

~liz

*loves the iphone*

~Liz

i wish there was one closer to me....but this weekend my family went to my aunt&uncle's second house, and the aple store was at a mall that we stopped at on the way there and on the way back.....oh well! maybe there is one closer...i forget....not in our local mall, anyway.

We have two Apple stores but they are both far away. The closest one is an hour, and the second one is another 20 minutes past the first one.

i got another ej bio, "his song" in the mail. i forget if i said anything here on HD about ordering it. if i did, please forgive me for mentioning it again. but anyway, the book is by elizabeth j. rosenthal, and i talked to her on the message board of the elton john website!!!!! awesomee! i "met" a real author! :D:D:D