Hampsterdance Discussion Board

Sprite j00-self!

Arkcher

so, Assuming Horatios claim of the full-sized attachment issue fixing' was true, I'll just post some handy spritin's.

A few of you may recall my vague mentions toward spriting in the past.

for those who may not know, Sprites are basically the 2D images found in video games.

32-bit ones are most common and awesome to work with.

The most common bit of software used for making sprites is none other than MS Paint.

Its lame enough to work with sprites, 8-bit ones are most common.

(8-bit = NES/Gameboy, 16-bit = SNES/GBA, 32-bit = N64/PS1/PC)

so. One thing a lot of spriters like doing is spriting themselves.

be it an edit, from scratch, they draw themselves as if they were in a handy game.

Like I did here! =D

post-765-1173976083_thumb.png

(As stated, these are not public domain images. Pretty much any form of redistributing these things without my permission is illegal. so dont do it.)

About 60% of those are editted parts, the other 40% being scratch. (legs, accessories, jacket)

I plan on making a full-sized sprite sheet out of this, in animation-quality. (so it wont look jumpy, rough or uneven if it were animated. like game-quality sprites.) but slow progress. These are some of the better poses I have finished.

While that does look a lot like myself (minus the face, thats pretty much still Megaman. XD) its not necessarily a self-sprite. Whilst drawing all of these, I came across Megaman poses that have guns. I couldnt keep myself from using those as well, but looked at the finished poses and decided it looked stupid just holding out the hand in a dynamic pose so I drew in a handgun. I dont have a handgun.

It pretty much evolved into a storywriting character, which has yet to be used. I may just make a sprite comic out of it, though. instead of writing it out. you know, the not-very-hilarious variety of sprite comics. Just for the sake of having visuals, I guess.

MS Paint is a lot more versatile than you may think, in a time that isnt right now, I'll show you some tricks you can do with it. I highly encourage you all to get into spriting, show off some of your better works here.

Yes, I'm implying that this sprite was drawn all in MS Paint. Even the colors.

hmm. I'd have thought there would be more than 0 replies to this.

I was going to reply, but I always am the first to reply.

STELLAR !!!!!!

yeah.

but I dont really matter who its from. XD Comments from Horatio are always nice.

hmm. I'd have thought there would be more than 0 replies to this.

I was going to reply, but I always am the first to reply.

STELLAR !!!!!!

yeah.

but I dont really matter who its from. XD Comments from Horatio are always nice.

Thanks for saying so. I can see you put quite a bit of work into your sprites.

I've already commented upon them elsewhere, but, wh4t3v4h. I should attempt to make some self-sprites. :P

you did? >_>;

well.

Yes you should make some.

once I get up and do it, Imma make an MS Paint tutorial to show off madd spriting skillz. and how to do stuff and all.

I've already commented upon them elsewhere, but, wh4t3v4h. I should attempt to make some self-sprites. :P

you did? >_>;

well.

once I get up and do it, Imma make an MS Paint tutorial to show off madd spriting skillz. and how to do stuff and all.

Yes, I did. on that IM thing. xD

you did? >_>;

well.

well I certainly dont remember any of this. XD

you did? >_>;

well.

You showed me a whole page of them. <.<

you did? >_>;

well.

I thought that was someone else. o:

you did? >_>;

well.

I thought that was someone else. o:

Nope. and make that thar tutorial now.

• 2 weeks later...
Holy awesome D:

You should like, sprite some of us or something xD; 'cause we're all crud at it, or something.

well, I really dont know what clothes to put on some of you's guys, and spriting different faces is VERY hard, seeing how you have about 5 pixels to work with, and they'd have to be different without looking like something Picasso drew up.

so Thats... Megaman-face, 'cause I couldnt sprite one myself if I tried.

yeah. This is... one of those things I like doing in spare time. I think you's guys should give it a shot.

and yes, Im still making that sprite tutorial. i havent forgotten. I've just never made one before.

Holy awesome D:

You should like, sprite some of us or something xD; 'cause we're all crud at it, or something.

well, I really dont know what clothes to put on some of you's guys, and spriting different faces is VERY hard, seeing how you have about 5 pixels to work with, and they'd have to be different without looking like something Picasso drew up.

yeah. This is... one of those things I like doing in spare time. I think you's guys should give it a shot.

and yes, Im still making that sprite tutorial. i havent forgotten. I've just never made one before.

Oh, okay ^_^

I'll give myself a shot before the tut comes out. =D

Holy awesome D:

Oh, okay ^_^

sweet, someone's actually gonna try it. o:

Just keep in mind you should keep to the pixel-y feel. I dont think Flash will do so good for that.

although there are some folks who will make seperate sprites of body parts and appendages, and use flash to animate them into custom poses that would otherwise be f'real hard to sprite seperately.

so If you want to give that a shot, I encourage you to. Like I've said before, I have flash, just have no idea how to use it.

Holy awesome D:

Oh, okay ^_^

sweet, someone's actually gonna try it. o:

Just keep in mind you should keep to the pixel-y feel. I dont think Flash will do so good for that.

although there are some folks who will make seperate sprites of body parts and appendages, and use flash to animate them into custom poses that would otherwise be f'real hard to sprite seperately.

so If you want to give that a shot, I encourage you to. Like I've said before, I have flash, just have no idea how to use it.

Nuh, I still got fireworks. Which is liek paint for mac. With, liek, photoshop effects and whatev' available.

• 2 weeks later...
I still don't know how.

well.

Once I get up and actually finish the tutorial, you guys will know how and have no excuse not to sprite jah-selves.

*~*The Grand Illusion*~*The Final Cut*~*

You better. Or Frank Zappa will eat your soul.

(but in Russia, Souls eat Frank Zappa!)

*~*The Psychedelic Luau*~*The Astronomy Domine*~*

I still don't know how.

well.

Once I get up and actually finish the tutorial, you guys will know how and have no excuse not to sprite jah-selves.

IT'S COMMUNIST CHINA NOT RUSSIA. PHAIL SO HARD.

I still don't know how.

well.

You make MK all D:! You lose 50 points!

I Just Want To Make Love To You-Foghat (don't edit)

I still don't know how.

well.

YOU CANNOT TAKE AWAY POINTS FROM ME AS POINTS ARE MINE KTHNX

(sidenote: I'm not being super crabby or anything, just so you know. I luff the MK and I'm kidding around. Just thought I'd make sure that was clear. o__o)

I still don't know how.

well.

(sidenote: I'm not being super crabby or anything, just so you know. I luff the MK and I'm kidding around. Just thought I'd make sure that was clear. o__o)

*watches to see if - Kat - starts giving orders to her Mafia henchmen*

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

I still don't know how.

well.

ok.

I still don't know how.

well.

ok.

So...

How about them...sports team...

• 4 weeks later...
YEEEAAAH.

I still dont have a tutorial made.

but I'll make one.

starting riiiiggght NOW -runs off to sprite stuff-

Right. :lol:

I see you. You're still here. :lol:

Its 'cause I didnt go to a different page. I went to the spriting files on my compy. o: And now I have some of it done.

YEEEAAAH.

I still dont have a tutorial made.

but I'll make one.

starting riiiiggght NOW -runs off to sprite stuff-

Right. :lol:

I see you. You're still here. :lol:

Its 'cause I didnt go to a different page. I went to the spriting files on my compy. o: And now I have some of it done.

Where is my hamster sprite?

*pokes Arkcher*

*pours dark chocolate syrup over Mega Wolf and then puts some marshmallow fluff on top*

*wonders at these strange substances*

*sprinkles some chocolate jimmies on top of the fluff*

Yaaaaay. =D

*pokes Arkcher*

*pours dark chocolate syrup over Mega Wolf and then puts some marshmallow fluff on top*

*Ponders how to add Harry Chapin to this*

I notice a lack of jigging in this topic.

ALLOW ME TO RECTIFY THIS.

*does a jig*

*throws buckets of red jello on the floor to make the jigging more interesting* :lol:

*throws Jerry Garcia stickers into the Jello*

*Is still wondering how to add Harry Chapin*

*does a jig*

*throws buckets of red jello on the floor to make the jigging more interesting* :lol:

*pulls Mk away before she can ruin another idiom.*

*gets all twitchy and pounces Megawolf, licking her clean.*

what? everyone knows chocolate is bad for dogs..

*does a jig*

:lol:

*hands Lexxscrapham a bowl of ice cream to go with the topping*

*does a jig*

:lol:

*hands Lexxscrapham a bowl of ice cream to go with the topping*

*sits confused still* Uh. I like jello. Good thing there is no chocolate jello and only chocolate toppings! =D *runs away*

• 1 month later...
...While that does look a lot like myself (minus the face, thats pretty much still Megaman. XD) its not necessarily a self-sprite. Whilst drawing all of these, I came across Megaman poses that have guns. I couldnt keep myself from using those as well, but looked at the finished poses and decided it looked stupid just holding out the hand in a dynamic pose so I drew in a handgun. I dont have a handgun.

It pretty much evolved into a storywriting character, which has yet to be used. I may just make a sprite comic out of it, though. instead of writing it out. you know, the not-very-hilarious variety of sprite comics. Just for the sake of having visuals, I guess.

=D

so Now that I have Torrn Asunder up, Now I can point out that This is the sprite which I based Nathan Torrn off of.

I can also point out that I have 1/4 of a tutorial made, and that I have revised versions of this. (pretty much more vivid colors and redrawn accessories.)

And that I have poses of Nathan here with the Inimical gun.

post-765-1184086682_thumb.png

wooh!

so Thats Nathan. and his gun.

...While that does look a lot like myself (minus the face, thats pretty much still Megaman. XD) its not necessarily a self-sprite. Whilst drawing all of these, I came across Megaman poses that have guns. I couldnt keep myself from using those as well, but looked at the finished poses and decided it looked stupid just holding out the hand in a dynamic pose so I drew in a handgun. I dont have a handgun.

=D

so Now that I have Torrn Asunder up, Now I can point out that This is the sprite which I based Nathan Torrn off of.

I can also point out that I have 1/4 of a tutorial made, and that I have revised versions of this. (pretty much more vivid colors and redrawn accessories.)

versiontwo.PNG

wooh!

Oh My!!!

Nathan and his gun are so cool and really fantastic!!!!

=D

wooh!

Oh My!!!

*~*The grand Illusion*~*The Final cut*~*

So Nathan and his gun are cool and fantastic, but Mushroom_king and her gun aren't so cool and really fantastic?

=D

versiontwo.PNG

wooh!

Oh My!!!

So Nathan and his gun are cool and fantastic, but Mushroom_king and her gun aren't so cool and really fantastic?

I never said Mushroom_king and her gun weren't cool and really fantastic.

In fact, I have given Mushroom_king more awards for her art and writing, then everyone else on the boards.

=D

wooh!

Oh My!!!

I never said Mushroom_king and her gun weren't cool and really fantastic.

In fact, I have given Mushroom_king more awards for her art and writing, then everyone else on the boards.

j00 better.

• 2 months later...

so After many beatings motivations from MK, I started on that Tutorial again.

and now Im too far in to quit.

but,

I seem to have overwritten some of the steps, and need to redo some of it.

but Expect to see it up pretty soon.

And while you wait, here's an update on my self-sprite that I made sometime last month.

and yes, I have highlights in mah hair. =D

and have that outfit and all.

post-765-1191248290_thumb.png

And that, and the tutorial, is all done with MS paint so the only thing you guys will need is a lot of patience.

(But this new sprite here is blatantly lacking various accessories. I'll throw those on later.)

And while you wait, here's an update on my self-sprite that I made sometime last month.

and yes, I have highlights in mah hair. =D

and have that outfit and all.

updateprev.PNG

And that, and the tutorial, is all done with MS paint so the only thing you guys will need is a lot of patience.

(But this new sprite here is blatantly lacking various accessories. I'll throw those on later.)

Very cool!!!!!!! :D

TUTORIAL TIEMZ

Keep in mind though, that this is just how I do it. Other spriters may do it differently, and you are free to do it in a different fashion, I like like doing it this way.

post-765-1191263049_thumb.png

post-765-1191263880_thumb.png

post-765-1191263894_thumb.png

post-765-1191263903_thumb.png

post-765-1191263912_thumb.png

post-765-1191263921_thumb.png

post-765-1191263929_thumb.png

post-765-1191263941_thumb.png

post-765-1191263961_thumb.png

post-765-1191263971_thumb.png

post-765-1191264011_thumb.png

post-765-1191264025_thumb.png

post-765-1191264034_thumb.png

post-765-1191264044_thumb.png

post-765-1191264062_thumb.png

post-765-1191264071_thumb.png

post-765-1191264079_thumb.png

post-765-1191264087_thumb.png

wow, I hope all those attachments worked.

Well, thats that.

Something else to keep in mind though, is to use PNG format when and wherever possible.

BMP will work, but is very large and space inefficient, and jpegs ruin sprites (they get blurred and fuzzy and such)

PNG is pretty small and retains image quality, so..

use it.

=D

• 4 weeks later...

yeah.

The tutorial posted was basically showing the process of how I do it, but next bit that I plan to upload will entail other character styles.

for example, I'm gonna post as a super-secret preview mess, the sprite of the new protagonist in... whatever I decide to title the sequel to Torrn Asunder story.

yeah. im gonna post another brief tutorial.

with a character older than little-girl age.

'cause not many of you are like 11 years old, and for those who are I dont expect would have the patience to sprite. The talent and means, of course, but not so much for time and patience.

yeah.

The tutorial posted was basically showing the process of how I do it, but next bit that I plan to upload will entail other character styles.

for example, I'm gonna post as a super-secret preview mess, the sprite of the new protagonist in... whatever I decide to title the sequel to Torrn Asunder story.

'cause not many of you are like 11 years old, and for those who are I dont expect would have the patience to sprite. The talent and means, of course, but not so much for time and patience.

Time and patience is important for this. Many of us are ADD-like children. XD

yeah.

Time and patience is important for this. Many of us are ADD-like children. XD

W00t for the ADDing! I need to work on one-a-dem sprite things