Hampsterdance Discussion Board

Jesse's topic

Jesse

nope. and we actually had band yesterday during school (i was mixed up in thinking we had gym) and the concert went well...

and i got to see reed cuz he's in concert band (im in wind ensemble) and they both perform the same night. ;-)

~Liz

Does Reed play a reed instrument by any chance? :P I had to ask. Wish my college had a wind ensemble, that's one thing I miss from high school :( There just isn't as much interest in music. It's all sports. <_<

So anyway, all of my final grades are finally posted online. I got all A's, except an A- in History (which was a nice surprise for me) which makes my GPA is 3.958. :)

haha no he doesn't..he plays drums in band and guitar out of band...like today in spanish class him & this other kid jake were in the front of the room with guitars singing christmas songs (the only one in spanish was feliz navidad...) and other songs...then the music continued into religion class...(the setlist during that class included, funnily enough, sympathy for the devil...lol) and in chem we sang chemistry carols (no guitars though) (and it was other people singing even though reed is in my chem class)

so very fun last three periods of the day today! and i got to stare at reed with good reason...i even moved up from the back row to the front row in spanish to be closer...;-)

i got my progress report...100 in spanish, 99 in english, global, math, religion, chem & gym, 95 in band...

so what does that make my gpa? idk we havent started doing that yet.

~Liz

You are doing really well!

GPAs are different for different schools. Usually the limit is 4.0. My first high school had the GPAs go up to 4.5 for some reason. :rolleyes: Also, usually honors and AP classes add weight to the GPA so then you have an "unweighted GPA" and "weighted GPA". If you treat your progress report as all A's (not sure what A+'s are at your school), your GPA is a solid 4.0.

In college, the GPA is almost never weighted by anything, and is calculated by dividing the total letter grade value (as Horatio said, A = 4, and then B = 3 etc.) by the total credit hours (most classes meet two times a week and are worth 3 credits, 3 times a week = 4 credits, 1 time a week = 1 or 2 credits).

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

nope. and we actually had band yesterday during school (i was mixed up in thinking we had gym) and the concert went well...

and i got to see reed cuz he's in concert band (im in wind ensemble) and they both perform the same night. ;-)

~Liz

Does Reed play a reed instrument by any chance? :P I had to ask. Wish my college had a wind ensemble, that's one thing I miss from high school :( There just isn't as much interest in music. It's all sports. <_>

So anyway, all of my final grades are finally posted online. I got all A's, except an A- in History (which was a nice surprise for me) which makes my GPA is 3.958. :)

haha no he doesn't..he plays drums in band and guitar out of band...like today in spanish class him & this other kid jake were in the front of the room with guitars singing christmas songs (the only one in spanish was feliz navidad...) and other songs...then the music continued into religion class...(the setlist during that class included, funnily enough, sympathy for the devil...lol) and in chem we sang chemistry carols (no guitars though) (and it was other people singing even though reed is in my chem class)

so very fun last three periods of the day today! and i got to stare at reed with good reason...i even moved up from the back row to the front row in spanish to be closer...;-)

i got my progress report...100 in spanish, 99 in english, global, math, religion, chem & gym, 95 in band...

~Liz

GPAs are different for different schools. Usually the limit is 4.0. My first high school had the GPAs go up to 4.5 for some reason. :rolleyes: Also, usually honors and AP classes add weight to the GPA so then you have an "unweighted GPA" and "weighted GPA". If you treat your progress report as all A's (not sure what A+'s are at your school), your GPA is a solid 4.0.

In college, the GPA is almost never weighted by anything, and is calculated by dividing the total letter grade value (as Horatio said, A = 4, and then B = 3 etc.) by the total credit hours (most classes meet two times a week and are worth 3 credits, 3 times a week = 4 credits, 1 time a week = 1 or 2 credits).

Thanks Jesse. :D

~Liz

Does Reed play a reed instrument by any chance? :P I had to ask. Wish my college had a wind ensemble, that's one thing I miss from high school :( There just isn't as much interest in music. It's all sports. <_<

~Liz

cool, thanks.

~Liz

Eek that last bit is wrong. You multiply the letter grade value by the credit hours for each class and add them all together. Then divide by the total credit hours.

Eek that last bit is wrong. You multiply the letter grade value by the credit hours for each class and add them all together. Then divide by the total credit hours.

thats ok i dont even know how many credits my classes are...im only in high school anyway

~Liz

~Liz

WOW! Congrats! That is excellent for your first semester!

~Liz

*bows* Thank you :D

~Liz

*bows* Thank you :D

You are most welcome. :)

So for Christmas I had asked for either an E-flat soprano or e-flat alto clarinet. And I got both! I just tried both of them out. They are neat to play but they both have their challenges. The soprano really squishes your fingers so I keep overshooting certain keys, and I keep squeaking with the alto. The alto has a really cool chalumeau register though. I can't really get far into the soprano's altissimo range, but I was using the reed that came with it and there is no size indicator on it, so maybe that was the problem...but it has a neat, bright sound to it.

Oh and of course I got several games (gamecube and ps2) and a refurbished gamecube. :)

So for Christmas I had asked for either an E-flat soprano or e-flat alto clarinet. And I got both! I just tried both of them out. They are neat to play but they both have their challenges. The soprano really squishes your fingers so I keep overshooting certain keys, and I keep squeaking with the alto. The alto has a really cool chalumeau register though. I can't really get far into the soprano's altissimo range, but I was using the reed that came with it and there is no size indicator on it, so maybe that was the problem...but it has a neat, bright sound to it.

Oh and of course I got several games (gamecube and ps2) and a refurbished gamecube. :)

How cool!!! Merry Christmas to you!!! :D

Awesome! I got a new external hard drive (a massive 500 GB) and a red octane DDR mat, so now I have two. And DDR Supernova 2. ^_^ And of course the usual smaller gifts as well. :)

Awesome! I got a new external hard drive (a massive 500 GB) and a red octane DDR mat, so now I have two. And DDR Supernova 2. ^_^ And of course the usual smaller gifts as well. :)

500 GB...wow :blink:

lol yeah. Probably more storage than I'll ever need. Nowadays you can get two terrabyte drives for about $400.

lol yeah. Probably more storage than I'll ever need. Nowadays you can get two terrabyte drives for about $400.

Pretty incredible. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Reading JF's topic reminded me of the dream I had last night, and for the first time in a long while, it was a dream that had nothing to do with residential life at college. :P So I feel like writing it down, because I haven't written much over the break.

The first thing I remember was being at some sort of a mall, made of stone, like a castle I guess. It was outdoors except the stores themselves, and it had two floors (the second floor had stone balconies on either side in front of the stores, complete with simple stone banisters and columns to hold up shade over my head). I remember I was on the second floor walking around the corner and wondering if I should visit a certain store and see if there's anything to buy there, and then wondering if I'm going over the edge with buying stuff. Sometime in the dream there's this kid is following me, he looked like a kid from my local church but I didn't make the connection in the dream. I was occupying him by bringing him around the mall. Apparently there was some "military man" that I yelled at for some reason or another, because the boy asked me, "why did you yell at the military man?" (when I thought about this man in the dream, he looked like a medieval infantry man or something). I deemed that the reason was too complicated for the child and came up with some simple, incomplete explanation, but he kept asking me. I was getting frustrated when the boy's father came out of nowhere and told him a simple, but completely truthful reason. I remember looking at the father and son and reflecting on how I was incapable of handling children correctly, and that I shouldn't have any of my own (though I've never wanted to become a parent).

Somehow the dream then has me walking into this place that looked like the garage from my former house, but bigger and with less stuff in it. There were two things that looked like gas pumps a little ways in front of the door into the house, across from those was a weight-lifting bench and my sister's friend was sitting on it, feeling depressed. I wanted to help but I felt that I would just get in the way as usual, so best for my sister to comfort her instead. I encountered someone at the door into the house (it was some random elderly man holding a keg or something, I forgot what he said) and then turned around and walked outside, climbing up to a stone sidewalk that was at the top of the hill that slopes down to the garage entrance. Across this entrance my sister and her friend were now riding on a two-seater bike, but it was a really long bike and the distance between the two seats was enormous. I was slightly afraid that they would crash into something, but I was mostly happy that they found something to do together, and I chuckled at the bike.

Then I'm back on the second floor of the mall, holding a new handheld system that SEGA released. I was playing some game on it when I saw a square "ad" on the handheld about a new Sonic game called Sonic Advance 2 (I don't know why, that game released a ways back in real life). I then saw some kind of trailer for it showing Sonic performing certain tasks, the one I remember was Act 2 of a certain zone where Sonic was on a water board jumping from platform to platform in a place that looked like Ricco Harbor from Super Mario Sunshine. Suddenly I'm playing the game, I'm in a stage where I need to get a Chaos Emerald but I must race 3 computer players to it on a waterboard in some aquatic ruins. It was really hard because I kept flying off course because of round ramps or something. Eventually I accidentally reversed gravity and now I'm upside-down grinding a standard-issue metallic rail in the sky and an Eggman boss appears. Somehow I beat him and get 2 chaos emeralds (orange and purple), and I woke up just as Sonic was leaving the screen. So...yeah.

Reading JF's topic reminded me of the dream I had last night, and for the first time in a long while, it was a dream that had nothing to do with residential life at college. :P So I feel like writing it down, because I haven't written much over the break.

The first thing I remember was being at some sort of a mall, made of stone, like a castle I guess. It was outdoors except the stores themselves, and it had two floors (the second floor had stone balconies on either side in front of the stores, complete with simple stone banisters and columns to hold up shade over my head). I remember I was on the second floor walking around the corner and wondering if I should visit a certain store and see if there's anything to buy there, and then wondering if I'm going over the edge with buying stuff. Sometime in the dream there's this kid is following me, he looked like a kid from my local church but I didn't make the connection in the dream. I was occupying him by bringing him around the mall. Apparently there was some "military man" that I yelled at for some reason or another, because the boy asked me, "why did you yell at the military man?" (when I thought about this man in the dream, he looked like a medieval infantry man or something). I deemed that the reason was too complicated for the child and came up with some simple, incomplete explanation, but he kept asking me. I was getting frustrated when the boy's father came out of nowhere and told him a simple, but completely truthful reason. I remember looking at the father and son and reflecting on how I was incapable of handling children correctly, and that I shouldn't have any of my own (though I've never wanted to become a parent).

Somehow the dream then has me walking into this place that looked like the garage from my former house, but bigger and with less stuff in it. There were two things that looked like gas pumps a little ways in front of the door into the house, across from those was a weight-lifting bench and my sister's friend was sitting on it, feeling depressed. I wanted to help but I felt that I would just get in the way as usual, so best for my sister to comfort her instead. I encountered someone at the door into the house (it was some random elderly man holding a keg or something, I forgot what he said) and then turned around and walked outside, climbing up to a stone sidewalk that was at the top of the hill that slopes down to the garage entrance. Across this entrance my sister and her friend were now riding on a two-seater bike, but it was a really long bike and the distance between the two seats was enormous. I was slightly afraid that they would crash into something, but I was mostly happy that they found something to do together, and I chuckled at the bike.

Then I'm back on the second floor of the mall, holding a new handheld system that SEGA released. I was playing some game on it when I saw a square "ad" on the handheld about a new Sonic game called Sonic Advance 2 (I don't know why, that game released a ways back in real life). I then saw some kind of trailer for it showing Sonic performing certain tasks, the one I remember was Act 2 of a certain zone where Sonic was on a water board jumping from platform to platform in a place that looked like Ricco Harbor from Super Mario Sunshine. Suddenly I'm playing the game, I'm in a stage where I need to get a Chaos Emerald but I must race 3 computer players to it on a waterboard in some aquatic ruins. It was really hard because I kept flying off course because of round ramps or something. Eventually I accidentally reversed gravity and now I'm upside-down grinding a standard-issue metallic rail in the sky and an Eggman boss appears. Somehow I beat him and get 2 chaos emeralds (orange and purple), and I woke up just as Sonic was leaving the screen. So...yeah.

What a dream! I wonder how that would be interpreted by the dream gurus.

Interesting. If I knew more about what's been going on in your life, I might be able to explain a few of the things in it. At the very least, I can assume you've been playing sega and/or sonic games lately, or saw someone else playing them. And I would also guess that you were at the mall lately. If you're still in CT, I might guess the crystal mall because it's two floors and has that chandelier that looks like it might belong in a castle. I'm also guessing that home and your family have been on your mind or in conversation lately. Or any number of these things might have been in something you saw on TV lately. Those are my guesses. :rolleyes:

Interesting. If I knew more about what's been going on in your life, I might be able to explain a few of the things in it. At the very least, I can assume you've been playing sega and/or sonic games lately, or saw someone else playing them. And I would also guess that you were at the mall lately. If you're still in CT, I might guess the crystal mall because it's two floors and has that chandelier that looks like it might belong in a castle. I'm also guessing that home and your family have been on your mind or in conversation lately. Or any number of these things might have been in something you saw on TV lately. Those are my guesses. :rolleyes:

Ironically I haven't been playing any Sonic the Hedgehog titles for perhaps a week, though I did a lot of that near the beginning of the break. And I have been playing Super Mario Sunshine a lot ever since I got it for Christmas. I haven't been to a mall ever since September I think. Maybe the castle thing is because of the Disneyland trip that my band is going on, but I'm not going with them because I thought it was too much trouble for too much money. Oh yeah, I had also gotten through a castle level in Wario: Master of Disguise (I love that game!) but it wasn't nearly as spooky in the dream. My sister's best friend is, well she is nearly alone at her home. I would feel bad to convey much else. We had her over for New Year's Eve. And I went to church today, so I guess that explains the church kid. Home has been on my mind everyday. Each day I feel the time is coming closer when I have to leave it behind again. I hate worrying about it, but like I said before this was the first time in a long while that I did not dream about residing at college. I've dreamt about my freshman hall being revamped, about living in a swanky version of the sophomore dorms, and living in some kind of mini mansion as a junior. Before I started college, I dreamed about driving dad's pickup truck to my first day of college and receiving a condo (got a second floor one with a small balcony) and playing tennis with my orientation leader from the June orientation (not like I can play tennis).

So I got a letter from the career development place from college, addressed to sophomores. Which is kind of neat that they acknowledged my status, but kind of scary because, well, I need to think of a career! I've always wanted to do something for video games so I think I'll start by looking into level design, which would involve quite a bit of geometry skills, plus creativity. Right now I'm only doing that Tomb Raider project with just blocks, and blocks split into triangle sections, and already there's math running through my head. I think God wants me to do something with music too, but maybe that will come later in life.

So, at least ONE department has no problem knowing where students are with their progress. Unlike residential life which is all like "we want you to be with the crazy people that you came in to college with for supposed social development, even though all the noises and parties and crazy girls who run around and leave tampons with ketchup on them will probably make you drop out of college before you get along with them, and you and your roommate barely speak to each other due to conflicting schedules and ways of life. Actually next year, we will consider you a 'rising Junior' but not completely a Junior like the rest of the school says you will be, because for some reason we consider those with 60+ credits, not 48+ credits, to be a Junior. Still we'll consider letting you in the upperclassman halls." It's like, WHY is there so much friction with them? What is so hard with accepting that I will be graduating in 3 years, and agreeing with the rest of the school when it comes to what my status is? What kind of special spiritual and personal growth do they expect me to find with guys that bounce in the study lounge late at night and talk about sex all. the. time. that I will be missing if I stay with people that are, surprise, the same status as me? Blaarggh.

Um, yeah. There's another mini-rant for you. :unsure:

So I got a letter from the career development place from college, addressed to sophomores. Which is kind of neat that they acknowledged my status, but kind of scary because, well, I need to think of a career! I've always wanted to do something for video games so I think I'll start by looking into level design, which would involve quite a bit of geometry skills, plus creativity. Right now I'm only doing that Tomb Raider project with just blocks, and blocks split into triangle sections, and already there's math running through my head. I think God wants me to do something with music too, but maybe that will come later in life.

So, at least ONE department has no problem knowing where students are with their progress. Unlike residential life which is all like "we want you to be with the crazy people that you came in to college with for supposed social development, even though all the noises and parties and crazy girls who run around and leave tampons with ketchup on them will probably make you drop out of college before you get along with them, and you and your roommate barely speak to each other due to conflicting schedules and ways of life. Actually next year, we will consider you a 'rising Junior' but not completely a Junior like the rest of the school says you will be, because for some reason we consider those with 60+ credits, not 48+ credits, to be a Junior. Still we'll consider letting you in the upperclassman halls." It's like, WHY is there so much friction with them? What is so hard with accepting that I will be graduating in 3 years, and agreeing with the rest of the school when it comes to what my status is? What kind of special spiritual and personal growth do they expect me to find with guys that bounce in the study lounge late at night and talk about sex all. the. time. that I will be missing if I stay with people that are, surprise, the same status as me? Blaarggh.

Um, yeah. There's another mini-rant for you. :unsure:

Your rants are wonderful!!!

Now to add my two cents. First, yeah that someone from the school has decided to acknowledge your achievements and make you a sophomore/soon-to-be-junior.

Something to think about. You can have a career in creating video games AND have your music as a hobby. With your clarinet skills, you could join the local symphony, band, etc. and do something you love while not having to make a living at it. Sometimes this is the best way to enjoy your talent and be able to have fun at it. You could work at a job you really enjoyed and have music flowing through your life by playing for fun. I know many people who started to try and have a career in music and decided that it was really hard to make money. For some people, such as my friend's husband who writes and plays jingles for many of the adverts you listen to, he is doing something he loves and making a good living at it. This does not always happen. So try and get the best of both worlds. There are many symphonies and music groups that would love to have you join them. A number of these groups do not have a big budget so for you to make a living from it would be quite tough. Think about having your cake and eating it too. :)

As for the last paragraph, something to consider is that most people do not graduate in 4 years. There is a very large percentage who take 5 years plus. For you to cut a year off, and two or three years, by some other people's standards, this just kind of makes them see how they are goofing off and not applying themselves. This is in no way your fault, it is just that they have decided to have fun at school and not take studying seriously. Let's hope they actually graduate.

Jesse, you are doing a phenomenal job at getting through your college courses with superior grades and you need to pat yourself on the back. Don't let these other people get you down or side-track you from your goals. You will be a success at whatever you decide. And remember, you might have to give the college a career choice for their records, but if you decide you don't like it, you can always change... then change again. Nothing is written in stone.

Thanks for your insight. Well I mentioned this at dinner and my dad's thinking that the level editing is what should remain as the hobby. He brought up me being a statistician. I was pretty good in statistics in high school, but I'm not sure if I would have enough interest to keep me motivated in that line of work. But he was talking about how so many people want to be game designers. So now I'm confused again. It feels like I went back to square 1. I want my career to be my life. I want it to break new grounds, and make a difference. Using math. Not engineering or teaching, I'm not keen on those. I have no idea.

Thanks for your insight. Well I mentioned this at dinner and my dad's thinking that the level editing is what should remain as the hobby. He brought up me being a statistician. I was pretty good in statistics in high school, but I'm not sure if I would have enough interest to keep me motivated in that line of work. But he was talking about how so many people want to be game designers. So now I'm confused again. It feels like I went back to square 1. I want my career to be my life. I want it to break new grounds, and make a difference. Using math. Not engineering or teaching, I'm not keen on those. I have no idea.

Jesse, what I am about to post will probably upset your father, but I am saying this from the heart so please take it that way.

This is your life. You need to do what will make you happy. Warren Buffett says "Do what you love and do it to the best of your ability." Not too many people can argue with him, seeing as how successful he is. What I am saying is... this is not your father's life. This is your life and you need to make the choices. You are smart, insightful, know a direction that might interest you, please listen to yourself and not other people for what is best for you. Remember, you are not on this earth to enter a career that will please your parents, because if you don't love it, you will be doing it for a very, very long time. And you will probably be miserable doing something you hate.

Here is what I suggest... if computers are your real interests, pick a career somewhere in that field so that you satisfy the requirement for the college, if there is a deadline to meet, then take the time to investigate all the areas that are available to you in computers. If you don't have a deadline with the paperwork, then do the investigation now. Talk to the professors, other students, look online at all the job possibilities and careers, attend career fairs when you know that there will be computer companies recruiting. You can find out an enormous amount of information. Then remember, think about what you love doing. You love creating in the computer field. Computers are such a growing field, and not only in gaming, but in everyday life. There is so much potential to have a career doing something you really love.

Do not go after the job for the money. WRONG choice. You may end up with lots of money, but you will probably end up miserable. The right job may not make you the most amount of money, but you will sure sleep well at night, simply because you are doing what you love.

I have to go to school, so I cannot write more at the moment. Remember this, if you make a choice, you are not committed for life to follow that choice. So, if you want to try computers and you find it is not exactly what you envisioned, that's okay. You can make a different choice. And if it means that you stay in school 3 years and six months, that's okay too. Another thing to look at are intern programs. FedEx for example has a large number of intern programs. We have interns in the Flight Department, most of these people come from the University of North Dakota. But there are lots of other interns in a variety of programs that would amaze you. FedEx is a technology company, so you can only imagine the computer departments we have here. We even have our own television station! And I mean a real television station.

Anyway, I have to run or I will be late.

Talk to you later.

Horatio

Jesse, what I am about to post will probably upset your father, but I am saying this from the heart so please take it that way.

This is your life. You need to do what will make you happy. Warren Buffett says "Do what you love and do it to the best of your ability." Not too many people can argue with him, seeing as how successful he is. What I am saying is... this is not your father's life. This is your life and you need to make the choices. You are smart, insightful, know a direction that might interest you, please listen to yourself and not other people for what is best for you. Remember, you are not on this earth to enter a career that will please your parents, because if you don't love it, you will be doing it for a very, very long time. And you will probably be miserable doing something you hate.

Here is what I suggest... if computers are your real interests, pick a career somewhere in that field so that you satisfy the requirement for the college, if there is a deadline to meet, then take the time to investigate all the areas that are available to you in computers. If you don't have a deadline with the paperwork, then do the investigation now. Talk to the professors, other students, look online at all the job possibilities and careers, attend career fairs when you know that there will be computer companies recruiting. You can find out an enormous amount of information. Then remember, think about what you love doing. You love creating in the computer field. Computers are such a growing field, and not only in gaming, but in everyday life. There is so much potential to have a career doing something you really love.

Do not go after the job for the money. WRONG choice. You may end up with lots of money, but you will probably end up miserable. The right job may not make you the most amount of money, but you will sure sleep well at night, simply because you are doing what you love.

I have to go to school, so I cannot write more at the moment. Remember this, if you make a choice, you are not committed for life to follow that choice. So, if you want to try computers and you find it is not exactly what you envisioned, that's okay. You can make a different choice. And if it means that you stay in school 3 years and six months, that's okay too. Another thing to look at are intern programs. FedEx for example has a large number of intern programs. We have interns in the Flight Department, most of these people come from the University of North Dakota. But there are lots of other interns in a variety of programs that would amaze you. FedEx is a technology company, so you can only imagine the computer departments we have here. We even have our own television station! And I mean a real television station.

Talk to you later.

Horatio

Thanks as always for the advice. But I'm not sure if computers themselves are my passion. I'm not sure what I want exactly, but one thing I would like, to see if not to do, would be for video games to become an art instead of a cash crop. I think of La Nouvelle Vague from my French film class - the artists broke away from the sappy, melodramatic love movies that were bringing the cash in, and rebelled against them with films with stories out of sequence, or with little dialogue, along with new techniques like fadeouts and superimposing two scenes together. It was also a period for new filmmakers to start their careers, even if they only had handheld cameras and had to do everything in real-time.

I got laughed at in class once for suggesting that video games was an art. Maybe one day I can make it so myself and then they won't be laughing anymore. I don't care much for the fancy graphics or FMV sequences, the art I am talking about is the art of interactivity. I mean, games today already use it, but so many times they take a franchise and try to squeeze yet another game out of it instead of coming up with new ideas, new purposes for a game existing. Like with films, the best ones were not made just for entertainment. I'm just not sure how I would do it differently...

Talk to you later.

Horatio

Thanks as always for the advice. But I'm not sure if computers themselves are my passion. I'm not sure what I want exactly, but one thing I would like, to see if not to do, would be for video games to become an art instead of a cash crop. I think of La Nouvelle Vague from my French film class - the artists broke away from the sappy, melodramatic love movies that were bringing the cash in, and rebelled against them with films with stories out of sequence, or with little dialogue, along with new techniques like fadeouts and superimposing two scenes together. It was also a period for new filmmakers to start their careers, even if they only had handheld cameras and had to do everything in real-time.

I got laughed at in class once for suggesting that video games was an art. Maybe one day I can make it so myself and then they won't be laughing anymore. I don't care much for the fancy graphics or FMV sequences, the art I am talking about is the art of interactivity. I mean, games today already use it, but so many times they take a franchise and try to squeeze yet another game out of it instead of coming up with new ideas, new purposes for a game existing. Like with films, the best ones were not made just for entertainment. I'm just not sure how I would do it differently...

How about starting with an interactive HampsterDance? :blink:

I think that would be a great beginning. :D

Yay rants! :lol: I often find that when I rant about things, I find solutions to them. Anyways. As far as the people you're living with, I can safely say that it's not the age of the people you live with, but the types of people you live with (although freshmen only housing is notoriously rowdy). I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but, live in wellness (substance free) housing. And even though you're technically a junior (and btw juniors should have at least 60 credits in most colleges for most majors, that comes out to 15 credits per semester), don't think you *have* to graduate in three years. I'm about a year ahead in my credits as well, but I'm still planning on taking at least 4 years to graduate. Pushing yourself can be good, as long as you don't push yourself over the edge. As for your career choice, DO NOT go for a career you don't think you'll enjoy. Do something you love doing, or at least something you *like* doing. At the same time, its good to be able to pay the bills. You don't have to be making six figures or anything, but paying the bills is kinda important. :rolleyes: And designing video games can totally be an art! Whoever laughed at you is either ignorant, jealous, or trying to be cool (or a combination of the three). Most of my friends are gamers, and they love it when the graphics in their games are really well done, and when they have really good story lines. And being someone who spends a decent amount of time watching people play these games, I agree with them. Designing video games these days is a lot like writing and animating a movie, only way more complicated. If designing video games is something you enjoy and think you'd be good at, then go for it! The only trouble you might run into (your dad makes a point here), is finding a job because so many people want to design games these days. However, there is also a greater demand for video games now than there used to be, and the games take more work to produce, so it could balance out. A suggestion for designing things: I have the Sims 2 on my computer, and I often download custom content for it from a few places online. There is a HUGE community of people who design new clothes and objects for the game, some are just recolors of things that were already there, but a lot of of them are nearly from scratch. It might be worthwhile to get ahold of the game, and mess around with the programs available for creating custom content yourself for that game too. It will give you a chance to put lots and lots of detail into your work, and maybe even find a new game to entertain yourself with.

As for your parents, the reason they're being such a pain is that they're concerned about you, and they probably don't want you living in their basement until you're 40. So along with telling them that you're not going to pick a career you don't like because it pays well, also tell them that you plan on having a job that will support you and keep you financially stable as well, because you're not stupid. :rolleyes:

Yay rants! :lol: I often find that when I rant about things, I find solutions to them. Anyways. As far as the people you're living with, I can safely say that it's not the age of the people you live with, but the types of people you live with (although freshmen only housing is notoriously rowdy). I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but, live in wellness (substance free) housing. And even though you're technically a junior (and btw juniors should have at least 60 credits in most colleges for most majors, that comes out to 15 credits per semester), don't think you *have* to graduate in three years. I'm about a year ahead in my credits as well, but I'm still planning on taking at least 4 years to graduate. Pushing yourself can be good, as long as you don't push yourself over the edge. As for your career choice, DO NOT go for a career you don't think you'll enjoy. Do something you love doing, or at least something you *like* doing. At the same time, its good to be able to pay the bills. You don't have to be making six figures or anything, but paying the bills is kinda important. :rolleyes: And designing video games can totally be an art! Whoever laughed at you is either ignorant, jealous, or trying to be cool (or a combination of the three). Most of my friends are gamers, and they love it when the graphics in their games are really well done, and when they have really good story lines. And being someone who spends a decent amount of time watching people play these games, I agree with them. Designing video games these days is a lot like writing and animating a movie, only way more complicated. If designing video games is something you enjoy and think you'd be good at, then go for it! The only trouble you might run into (your dad makes a point here), is finding a job because so many people want to design games these days. However, there is also a greater demand for video games now than there used to be, and the games take more work to produce, so it could balance out. A suggestion for designing things: I have the Sims 2 on my computer, and I often download custom content for it from a few places online. There is a HUGE community of people who design new clothes and objects for the game, some are just recolors of things that were already there, but a lot of of them are nearly from scratch. It might be worthwhile to get ahold of the game, and mess around with the programs available for creating custom content yourself for that game too. It will give you a chance to put lots and lots of detail into your work, and maybe even find a new game to entertain yourself with.

As for your parents, the reason they're being such a pain is that they're concerned about you, and they probably don't want you living in their basement until you're 40. So along with telling them that you're not going to pick a career you don't like because it pays well, also tell them that you plan on having a job that will support you and keep you financially stable as well, because you're not stupid. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your advice.

The whole campus is supposed to be substance free. But people have their antics. Sometimes they're caught, sometimes they're not. The first offense is only a $50 fine anyway, with judicial review...that doesn't deter many alcohol fanatics.

I know I don't have to graduate in 3 years, but I would only stay longer if I had a pretty good reason (like changing majors); at the rate I'm going I would have nothing but free electives the fourth year, not something I want my parents shelling 40 grand out for, especially when my sister will also be in college then. And I would probably get bored.

Okay, thanks for both you and Horatio reminding me not to just worry about money with my career, and the competition for it may or may not be an issue. Yes, I have the sims 2, but I haven't designed any objects yet. I've only redone a shirt once, I turned a blue polo shirt into a red one and put a wolf picture on the back ^_^ Maybe I'll look into that sometime, but after my current Tomb Raider project (which is a generation below and still takes a bit of work and motivation!). Making objects isn't my forté though. Personally what fascinates me the most so far in designing Tomb Raider, is investigating Lara's animations and how each has a stateID and stateID changes to allow them to proceed to other animations when the game engine calls for it. As a mac user I cannot change the engine itself like the windows users have figured out to do, so I kind of enjoyed the challenge of seeing how I could manipulate the stateID changes (which are limited because most are hardcoded to specific animations), and create new key commands for players to access to new moves using new animations. I'm guessing that you can't do this with The Sims 2 as much, but if you can that could lead to some interesting new ways to interact with objects.

Another thing that maybe I could try out someday, and my mom thinks this is interesting, would be to head my own sort of game development company. I could put to use the ideas and concepts I'm always getting, and I would contribute to the level design, music, and animating (at least the mathematical aspect of it as I described above) and hire others to do the other tasks. But I'm not diving into this first, I would like to get a position in an existing company first before I tried branching off on my own.

Another thing that maybe I could try out someday, and my mom thinks this is interesting, would be to head my own sort of game development company. I could put to use the ideas and concepts I'm always getting, and I would contribute to the level design, music, and animating (at least the mathematical aspect of it as I described above) and hire others to do the other tasks. But I'm not diving into this first, I would like to get a position in an existing company first before I tried branching off on my own.

I think your mother is a genius. Just think if Bill Gates had said that he was going to get a position with an existing company first? :blink:

I say... go for it!!!!!

You can mess with the animations in sims2. I haven't done it, but it seems that other people have. ModTheSims2 is a good place to look around for tutorials and the like. I'm not sure what you can do on a mac though. I've recolored a few clothing items myself, but nothing serious. The having your own company thing sounds like a lot of fun! Maybe consider a second major or minor in business administration for that one.

As for your living situation, having an entirely substance-free campus, unless it's like some hardcore Christian college or something, doesn't work. And it doesn't allow for housing for people who *actually* want to be substance free. Something to keep in mind: if you really don't like where you are, consider transferring. If you're really not happy, it's not worth it.

So I'm going back to college tomorrow. I'm looking forward to starting classes on Tuesday, but I'm nervous about getting back to dorm life. I just wish there were more people I could relate to in my surroundings, but maybe that would mean being surrounded by nerds? :P And at least I have the bible study (but I have to miss that this week and other weeks cause of pep band), pep band, and concert band + choir rehearsals which, while I don't talk so much myself, provide kind of fun surroundings for me. The effective communications class is going to be interesting for me. It'll probably do me good, too. :rolleyes:

So I'm going back to college tomorrow. I'm looking forward to starting classes on Tuesday, but I'm nervous about getting back to dorm life. I just wish there were more people I could relate to in my surroundings, but maybe that would mean being surrounded by nerds? :P And at least I have the bible study (but I have to miss that this week and other weeks cause of pep band), pep band, and concert band + choir rehearsals which, while I don't talk so much myself, provide kind of fun surroundings for me. The effective communications class is going to be interesting for me. It'll probably do me good, too. :rolleyes:

I think the effective communications will be lots of fun for you, as it will probably open new methods and doors.

I think the effective communications will be lots of fun for you, as it will probably open new methods and doors.

Yes, and that will be the first class I go to tomorrow. :)

So now I'm back. A little hard to get over saying goodbye, but I didn't have too much time to think before my roommate and his friend came in. Let the smacking commence. :rolleyes: It's true what JF said about college making you a patient person. Not like they're bad people, it's nice to see them again. They're playing time crisis 4 on my roommate's new PS3. :P I think I'll just browse online and listen to music or funny videos for a bit. Then I'll get to work on making my boss character (it's kind of hard because the object slot needs a specific meshtree, as in the way the meshes connect to one another). Not like I'm making it from scratch though, just taking meshes from TR3's Sophia Leigh and using them with Seth from TR4.

Oh yeah, and my door closes itself, so I locked myself out without thinking about it. :unsure: One of the helper students in the lobby kindly came up the stairs with me and unlocked it. :) That'll teach me to forget my card. :blush:

Yes, and that will be the first class I go to tomorrow. :)

So now I'm back. A little hard to get over saying goodbye, but I didn't have too much time to think before my roommate and his friend came in. Let the smacking commence. :rolleyes: It's true what JF said about college making you a patient person. Not like they're bad people, it's nice to see them again. They're playing time crisis 4 on my roommate's new PS3. :P I think I'll just browse online and listen to music or funny videos for a bit. Then I'll get to work on making my boss character (it's kind of hard because the object slot needs a specific meshtree, as in the way the meshes connect to one another). Not like I'm making it from scratch though, just taking meshes from TR3's Sophia Leigh and using them with Seth from TR4.

Oh yeah, and my door closes itself, so I locked myself out without thinking about it. :unsure: One of the helper students in the lobby kindly came up the stairs with me and unlocked it. :) That'll teach me to forget my card. :blush:

Hahaha I've done that before. :lol: I usually leave my door unlocked unless I'm leaving for awhile. And yes, being surrounded by nerds is fun times, and WAY better than being surrounded by "cool" people. Because for some odd reason being "cool" tends to involve running down the hall at 3am shouting something along the lines of "WOOOOOOO!!!! I'M SO DRUNK!!!!!!!" and then puking all over the bathroom floor. :rolleyes: You don't want to be cool. And also, the nerds have all the awesome video games and are more friendly. :)

Woot, just registered for intro to economics since I have the room for it. All my classes are that one, information literacy, literary expressions, differential equations, chorus, band, brahms to bernstein, and communications. I hope I haven't put too much on my plate, but I've had plenty of free time so far so I think I'll be okay.

Hahaha I've done that before. :lol: I usually leave my door unlocked unless I'm leaving for awhile. And yes, being surrounded by nerds is fun times, and WAY better than being surrounded by "cool" people. Because for some odd reason being "cool" tends to involve running down the hall at 3am shouting something along the lines of "WOOOOOOO!!!! I'M SO DRUNK!!!!!!!" and then puking all over the bathroom floor. :rolleyes: You don't want to be cool. And also, the nerds have all the awesome video games and are more friendly. :)

Yeah, that's true, and no way I want to be like most of the people on my floor :lol: Not sure if they've done the scenario above yet, but I've been using earplugs for a long while so maybe I was lucky and missed it. :P

Bah I keep forgeting to add to a post that I got into the new england college band association's intercollegiate band festival (long enough title? :P ) because they needed an alto clarinet player, but they don't have alto parts for all the songs so I'm switching to the b-flat for the other ones. I've been itching to play difficult music so, I got what I wanted... :P And I'll get to see many new faces, too.

Yeah, that's true, and no way I want to be like most of the people on my floor :lol: Not sure if they've done the scenario above yet, but I've been using earplugs for a long while so maybe I was lucky and missed it. :P

Ear plugs... the greatest invention in the world!!! :lol:

Bah I keep forgeting to add to a post that I got into the new england college band association's intercollegiate band festival (long enough title? :P ) because they needed an alto clarinet player, but they don't have alto parts for all the songs so I'm switching to the b-flat for the other ones. I've been itching to play difficult music so, I got what I wanted... :P And I'll get to see many new faces, too.

Do you have your ear plugs in?

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you will have a great time and meet lots of terrific new people.

• 2 weeks later...

I had an interesting dream last night (I don't know how anyone else could have these dreams and still stay sane). Well I guess it was expected that since I was going back to college today, that I would be on a campus. I'm not sure if I'm remembering this in the right order...I was visiting a sophomore residence hall (actually I think I had a room there), the entry was really urban looking, kind of like an unfinished basement, with a brick interior, and the entry was the height of all 6 stories, with a balcony at each floor where you would get off the stairs or elevator. Anyway some guys were ahead of me and stepped into the elevator to the 6th floor, so I felt like racing up the metal stairs to see if I could beat them, but they barely got there before I did. We walked into the hallway in the back wall were, presumably, all the dorm rooms were (and the hallway was painted and all, which was a weird contrast). My recollection blurs as to what happened in this hallway, it kind of fizzled into a hallway with a band practice room on the left, which I've had a dream about before. Then it fizzled into the outdoors as if I had found an exit there or something. Which would imply that the residence hall was built into the hill that I was at the top of, since I was on the sixth floor...okay, why do I put so much thought into such structures when I'm dreaming? So anyway there's this sidewalk, that leads to the bottom of the hill I guess, and a park bench or two. There's stuff behind the park benches that kind of alternated between sandboxes and another building which I get to enter later.

Okay, now here's where the strange, and somehow significant, part of the dream occurs. All of a sudden I'm on one of those park benches next to a man and...his daughter I think? He was kind of a giant man with gray hair and a beige winter coat. It is really cold and the wind is blowing hard, and I am absolutely freezing, shivering, and I seem to be losing life. Eventually I am watching this from a third person perspective. The man has one arm wrapped around me and he held me tightly to himself while I squirmed, trying to stay alive as he tried to keep me warm. After some time he handed me his i-Pod and told me to play some music, to help me calm down. I found a play list entitled "Sonic" (as I have on my own iPod which has lots of favorite tunes from Sonic games) so I decided to stick with that as it was something I was familiar with. I started playing something and I was more at ease. There seemed to be a shade of tragedy over this whole part as if he knew I was going to die or something like that. And I felt a sort of love, gratitude toward the man for protecting me.

And then the last part was that I entered that building behind the benches and I was part of some contest/game show thing, but I don't remember much from that.

So there. I don't know why but I felt like typing it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah my topic is dying again!

Well nothing too much to report since I've been wrapped up in classes and my Tomb Raider level project. Actually I'm almost done with this thing. I'm working on the credits, then I'll do a whole runthrough, fix all that I want to fix, then do another runthrough and then have it beta tested. I wish the levels would look a little better after two years of work, but I'm glad I actually stuck through this thing.

Oh yeah, my mom called saying she got a letter, which stated that I got on the dean's list. ^_^

Well nothing too much to report since I've been wrapped up in classes and my Tomb Raider level project. Actually I'm almost done with this thing. I'm working on the credits, then I'll do a whole runthrough, fix all that I want to fix, then do another runthrough and then have it beta tested. I wish the levels would look a little better after two years of work, but I'm glad I actually stuck through this thing.

Oh yeah, my mom called saying she got a letter, which stated that I got on the dean's list. ^_^

CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!!!!!

You deserve your slot on the dean's list, you have worked hard.

*FedEx's Jesse a big basket of micicles*

If you get time, would you please post again in Nutzky's topic in Warm Wishes. He stopped in and posted. His username is Frenchie.

Thanks Jesse.

Yay dean's list! ^_^ And your topic is only dying because you're not posting in it. :rolleyes: Did you guys get snow?

Yay dean's list! ^_^ And your topic is only dying because you're not posting in it. :rolleyes: Did you guys get snow?

Don't say that evil word... it is starting to snow here in Memphis. This is a bad thing, because these drivers can't drive when the pavement is dry, and they almost NEVER see snow.

Don't say that evil word... it is starting to snow here in Memphis. This is a bad thing, because these drivers can't drive when the pavement is dry, and they almost NEVER see snow.

Haha oh boy.... :rolleyes:

Yeah yeah, it's my own fault. :P Yes we had a snow storm last night, but my family up north had it worse. I've heard of some class cancellations but none of them were my own. :P Today it was vicious wind and rain when I was outside both times (thank goodness for portable umbrellas! I keep one in the side pocket of my backpack at all times).

That must be a shock for people there, I hope you will be safe on the road. :unsure:

Haha oh boy.... :rolleyes:

Lots and lots of accidents. None of them included me, thank goodness.

Yeah yeah, it's my own fault. :P Yes we had a snow storm last night, but my family up north had it worse. I've heard of some class cancellations but none of them were my own. :P Today it was vicious wind and rain when I was outside both times (thank goodness for portable umbrellas! I keep one in the side pocket of my backpack at all times).

You are much better at being prepared than I am. For me, it is easier letting my fur get wet.

That must be a shock for people there, I hope you will be safe on the road. :unsure:

It is a shock, but that is after they have wrecked their car. Today, I saw about 20 or so cars that were in accidents with three times as many police and tow trucks.

My strategy is to leave uber early, take the back roads which are usually avoided by the maniacs, and get there safely. Thanks for your concern.

My strategy is to leave uber early, take the back roads which are usually avoided by the maniacs, and get there safely. Thanks for your concern.

That's a good strategy.

Jesse, how are your classes/teachers/everything else? Sure there must be something interesting to talk about.

Jesse, how are your classes/teachers/everything else? Sure there must be something interesting to talk about.

Exactly!!!

*grabs ahold of Jesse's tail and gets lost in the fur*

Haha, well I did have a little time trial on my hands today. I forgot to print out an essay for economics (yes, yes, for shame etc.) but the class is taught in the same building I live in, so after class I ran up the stairs, pulled out my laptop up and used my roommate's printer (he doesn't mind if I use it) and ran back down the stairs. My prof wasn't in the classroom but I remembered that he likes to talk to students out in the lobby, so I gave it to him there and was off to my next class. :wacko:

As for how my classes are...

Intro to Economics - It's interesting, but I feel somewhat overwhelmed sometimes because it's such a huge topic. The professor has quite a few interesting things to discuss though.

Differential Equations - Somewhat slow paced, but I finally learned a new technique last class. The homework is kind of drawn out so it takes patience. I have to "listen with an accent" as I heard Lucy Ricardo put it, because my teacher has a hispanic accent.

Communications - The professor is cool and helps things feel low stress since everyone has to take this class. Just had my first test, hope I did okay...

Literature - Quite a bit of reading per night, but I like how the professor talks. He knows ways to relate it to our generation.

Brahms to Bernstein - Pretty much this prof makes his students get As, but it does open my world of music more. We've listened to some interesting pieces like program music by Schubert (haha, I like that name!) about a trout being caught (a piano making leaps up and down would be the trout jumping, etc.) and the Unsquare dance by Dave Brubeck done in 7/8 time.

Information Literacy - starts in March. And even then it meets once a week. What a random class.

Chorus - one of the guys in the bass section seems to be tone deaf :unsure: He likes to sing next to me to try to match my pitches but it doesn't always work.

Band - Haven't started concert band yet, it's been delayed a few times :rolleyes: Pep band is fun to go to, and it's giving me practice on the e-flat soprano clarinet, as well as transposing on the fly because I have to read the b-flat clarinet parts.

Exactly!!!

*grabs ahold of Jesse's tail and gets lost in the fur*

Haha, well I did have a little time trial on my hands today. I forgot to print out an essay for economics (yes, yes, for shame etc.) but the class is taught in the same building I live in, so after class I ran up the stairs, pulled out my laptop up and used my roommate's printer (he doesn't mind if I use it) and ran back down the stairs. My prof wasn't in the classroom but I remembered that he likes to talk to students out in the lobby, so I gave it to him there and was off to my next class. :wacko:

As for how my classes are...

Intro to Economics - It's interesting, but I feel somewhat overwhelmed sometimes because it's such a huge topic. The professor has quite a few interesting things to discuss though.

Differential Equations - Somewhat slow paced, but I finally learned a new technique last class. The homework is kind of drawn out so it takes patience. I have to "listen with an accent" as I heard Lucy Ricardo put it, because my teacher has a hispanic accent.

Communications - The professor is cool and helps things feel low stress since everyone has to take this class. Just had my first test, hope I did okay...

Literature - Quite a bit of reading per night, but I like how the professor talks. He knows ways to relate it to our generation.

Brahms to Bernstein - Pretty much this prof makes his students get As, but it does open my world of music more. We've listened to some interesting pieces like program music by Schubert (haha, I like that name!) about a trout being caught (a piano making leaps up and down would be the trout jumping, etc.) and the Unsquare dance by Dave Brubeck done in 7/8 time.

Information Literacy - starts in March. And even then it meets once a week. What a random class.

Chorus - one of the guys in the bass section seems to be tone deaf :unsure: He likes to sing next to me to try to match my pitches but it doesn't always work.

Band - Haven't started concert band yet, it's been delayed a few times :rolleyes: Pep band is fun to go to, and it's giving me practice on the e-flat soprano clarinet, as well as transposing on the fly because I have to read the b-flat clarinet parts.

lol fun fun. A lot of times, if you explain to your prof that you forgot your paper, they let you just email it to them too. My first math teacher in college had a hispanic accent too. I pity the students in that class that never took spanish before. :rolleyes: It sounds like you've really got a decent set of classes this semester, which is good. What is your major anyways?

lol fun fun. A lot of times, if you explain to your prof that you forgot your paper, they let you just email it to them too. My first math teacher in college had a hispanic accent too. I pity the students in that class that never took spanish before. :rolleyes: It sounds like you've really got a decent set of classes this semester, which is good. What is your major anyways?

My major is math, with minors in music and French. In regards to my math teacher, I haven't taken Spanish but at least French is in the same language family, so that helps. :P My economics teacher wanted BOTH a hard copy and an email copy. ;)

My major is math, with minors in music and French. In regards to my math teacher, I haven't taken Spanish but at least French is in the same language family, so that helps. :P My economics teacher wanted BOTH a hard copy and an email copy. ;)

Ah, okay. That makes sense.

Well I finally finished with building my levels. I just finished alpha-testing my levelset and made a rather large list of things to fix, and I'm almost done with fixing things as well. After that is beta-testing and then I can release it. :)

Well I finally finished with building my levels. I just finished alpha-testing my levelset and made a rather large list of things to fix, and I'm almost done with fixing things as well. After that is beta-testing and then I can release it. :)

Jesse, you have worked so hard on this, we really need to throw you a party! :D

Not yet, let me release the thing first. I'm doing the second runthrough now, and then I'll request beta testing.

Here are some screenies:

post-3829-1203460358_thumb.jpg

post-3829-1203460365_thumb.jpg

Not yet, let me release the thing first. I'm doing the second runthrough now, and then I'll request beta testing.

Here are some screenies:

Jessie... those are awesome! You are really great at graphics!!!!!!!!

Here are some screenies:

Cool! ^_^

Jessie, I envy your skills.

But if you really wanna beta test it, you should let some other people try it out. Sorta, increase the possibility to notice little bugs and such.

That's true. And it would save you from having to spend so much time on it.

And I think some of us would be willing to test it for him. :D

But if you really wanna beta test it, you should let some other people try it out. Sorta, increase the possibility to notice little bugs and such.

That's true. And it would save you from having to spend so much time on it.

And I think some of us would be willing to test it for him. :D

Haha probably. I would, but I don't own the game for it, and also don't quite have the time either.

Yes, that's how beta testing is defined with level building, having others test it. I just used the phrase "alpha testing" to denote self-testing. I finished the second runthrough and put everything together, and sent a request to a beta-testing team today.

And Horatio, that would be fine, except it's not simple for someone who doesn't already build or play tomb raider custom levels. First you would need to find and download the level editor and player, and learn how to control the game (and I have new moves included as well, making it more of a shock). Also, no offense but it wouldn't be as beneficial as having testers who know how level building works, and then they can provide me technical advice. Not to mention that the files are 66 MB total, so it would be impossible to get to you via the boards or email.

This is the first time I'm doing beta testing so I'm kind of nervous, but I think it will be a good thing overall.

Jessie

Oh yeah: how dare you put an i in my name! But I forgive you. When I was little it happened enough times that I used to introduce myself as "Jesse with no i". :P

So I did a good deed tonight. ^_^ Someone's cellphone was on top of the console thing in the elevator (where you press the buttons) and it dropped when I walked in. So I took it back to my room and called the first person in the recent calls and asked if she knew anyone missing a phone, and she contacted his roommate. The guy missing it came up to my room and was really grateful. No, I never found out how his phone ended up there. It left me feeling a warm fuzziness feeling that I haven't felt in a long time.

Yes, that's how beta testing is defined with level building, having others test it. I just used the phrase "alpha testing" to denote self-testing. I finished the second runthrough and put everything together, and sent a request to a beta-testing team today.

And Horatio, that would be fine, except it's not simple for someone who doesn't already build or play tomb raider custom levels. First you would need to find and download the level editor and player, and learn how to control the game (and I have new moves included as well, making it more of a shock). Also, no offense but it wouldn't be as beneficial as having testers who know how level building works, and then they can provide me technical advice. Not to mention that the files are 66 MB total, so it would be impossible to get to you via the boards or email.

This is the first time I'm doing beta testing so I'm kind of nervous, but I think it will be a good thing overall.

I guess my experience on W.O.W. doesn't count. :lol:

Jessie

Oh yeah: how dare you put an i in my name! But I forgive you. When I was little it happened enough times that I used to introduce myself as "Jesse with no i". :P

So I did a good deed tonight. ^_^ Someone's cellphone was on top of the console thing in the elevator (where you press the buttons) and it dropped when I walked in. So I took it back to my room and called the first person in the recent calls and asked if she knew anyone missing a phone, and she contacted his roommate. The guy missing it came up to my room and was really grateful. No, I never found out how his phone ended up there. It left me feeling a warm fuzziness feeling that I haven't felt in a long time.

That was such a wonderful act of kindness. It took time out of your schedule and I am sure he appreciated your consideration.

No, sorry. :P

The university is closed today due to snow, so I'm afraid everyone here is going to get too bored :blink: I hope they just sleep as much as they can or something. :P

Probably not.

But you play W.O.W? o.O;

No, sorry. :P

The university is closed today due to snow, so I'm afraid everyone here is going to get too bored :blink: I hope they just sleep as much as they can or something. :P

Why sleep when you can get to go out in the snow and play?????? :rolleyes:

Probably not.

But you play W.O.W? o.O;

Does this surprise you????? :blink:

Probably not.

But you play W.O.W? o.O;

My world just collapsed.

Probably not.

But you play W.O.W? o.O;

My world just collapsed.

*gets out air compressor and starts inflating Hoops world back to size*

There, that should help. :lol:

I just didn't take you for a W.O.W person. xD

Tell us about your toon. :P

(toon = character for those of you who don't know. At least, that is the terminology on my bro's server. The name is cause the people all look cartoons because they are so misproportioned)

(toon = character for those of you who don't know. At least, that is the terminology on my bro's server. The name is cause the people all look cartoons because they are so misproportioned)

Oh no. For as smart as you are, you will find me.

I am just learning and don't want to get killed with you watching.

Oh no. For as smart as you are, you will find me.

I am just learning and don't want to get killed with you watching.

I probably couldn't find you without a name and server. I mean, there are so many of each character type. xD And besides, I don't even play, and my brother isn't home. So, I don't think you have to worry.

• 2 weeks later...
*puts some micicles out and continues running around* Where's Jesse?

He appeared and then disappeared today. Way to fast for me to attract his attention.

I thought he would have looked here. :blink:

Of course, now that you have micicles, he has a very keen sense of smell. He will appear here fast. :lol:

He appeared and then disappeared today. Way to fast for me to attract his attention.

Of course, now that you have micicles, he has a very keen sense of smell. He will appear here fast. :lol:

Yes, yes, I smelled them, but I had pep band tonight so it only made me impatient. *snatches them* I came back to school from home, to continue with pep band um...fun. The saxophonist behind me kept spitting on me when he talked and yelling at the refs and other team a lot. That is why I wear ear plugs (not foam ones for pep band, but these weird space-age ones that don't block particular frequencies but reduce overall volume or something.)

lol one can hope. :rolleyes:

lol one can hope. :rolleyes:

He's here now!!!!!! :D

Yes, yes, I smelled them, but I had pep band tonight so it only made me impatient. *snatches them* I came back to school from home, to continue with pep band um...fun. The saxophonist behind me kept spitting on me when he talked and yelling at the refs and other team a lot. That is why I wear ear plugs (not foam ones for pep band, but these weird space-age ones that don't block particular frequencies but reduce overall volume or something.)

Fun. >_< How has everything else been? Go through midterms yet?

A midterm exam itself is not required at my school, but a grade is, so if the teacher feels that there are not enough graded things, or even in spite of this, there will be an exam anyway. I took the math one last week, it wasn't hard but very long. I got 105% on it. :) In intro to economics we took our microeconomics exam so I guess that will be like a midterm. I will take my music class one next week, and I haven't heard anything about the other classes (that paper for English might help make up our grade...eek, hope I did well on that!)

Fun. >_

A midterm exam itself is not required at my school, but a grade is, so if the teacher feels that there are not enough graded things, or even in spite of this, there will be an exam anyway. I took the math one last week, it wasn't hard but very long. I got 105% on it. :) In intro to economics we took our microeconomics exam so I guess that will be like a midterm. I will take my music class one next week, and I haven't heard anything about the other classes (that paper for English might help make up our grade...eek, hope I did well on that!)

You are really accomplishing such great grades! It shows that you study really hard.

Congratulations on the 105%... how phenomenal!!!

Ah, yeah my college is the same way, but the professors all tend to make their midterms around the same time. And 105% awesome! ^_^ I don't know if I actually have any midterms this semester....I do know, however, that I got 100% on the psych quiz I got back today. ^_^

Ah, yeah my college is the same way, but the professors all tend to make their midterms around the same time. And 105% awesome! ^_^ I don't know if I actually have any midterms this semester....I do know, however, that I got 100% on the psych quiz I got back today. ^_^

Nice job! :) Sounds like you've found the right major. :P That's what my mentor told me when I talked about my Calc 3 class.

Nice job! :) Sounds like you've found the right major. :P That's what my mentor told me when I talked about my Calc 3 class.

lol one can hope. :rolleyes: And you, you're in calc 3 as a freshman!!!! That's beyond insane!

lol one can hope. :rolleyes: And you, you're in calc 3 as a freshman!!!! That's beyond insane!

Insane? Don't tell me Sheena broke our deal! Well, I was in calc 3...now I'm in differential equations, though technically I'm also a sophomore now. Instead of Freshman and Sophomore years, I got freshman and sophomore semesters. :P

Fun. >_

Insane? Don't tell me Sheena broke our deal! Well, I was in calc 3...now I'm in differential equations, though technically I'm also a sophomore now. Instead of Freshman and Sophomore years, I got freshman and sophomore semesters. :P

You are incredible!!!

Haha you really are crazy. :P I was a sophomore my second semester too.

Cool. Curious, what math did you have freshman semester?

Algebra and trig. I probably could have placed out of it (I took AP calc in high school), but I figured it'd be good to make sure I wasn't missing anything, because at the time I was a physics major.

Algebra and trig. I probably could have placed out of it (I took AP calc in high school), but I figured it'd be good to make sure I wasn't missing anything, because at the time I was a physics major.

Ah, okay then. I know that physics can have much calculus involved. Actually I don't yet, but I'll find out soon enough (next year or the year after).

Ah, okay then. I know that physics can have much calculus involved. Actually I don't yet, but I'll find out soon enough (next year or the year after).

Physics is basically calculus applied to real life.

:lol: That is the best, most perfect statement!!!!!!!! :lol:

Looking forward to it then! ^_^ The most I've connected the two so far has been to form position equations from velocity equations, and velocity equations from acceleration equations, as well as shifting "triangle" setups in respect to time.

:lol: That is the best, most perfect statement!!!!!!!! :lol:

Why thank you. :) *bows*

So, I am roommateless for next year. I did find out about this roommate locater book so I put myself down in that today. Hopefully something will come from that so that I'm not completely left to randomness for next year.

Here's the scoop. My roommate is living with someone else next year. While res life says "who you live is more important than where you live," I have no guarantee for who I live with so might as well look into upperclassmen housing, which is apartment style (all sophomore halls are suite style, which I'm pretty much done with after this year). There is a specialty housing place for upperclassmen with GPA 3+ so I'm going to apply for that. I've been worried that my application will be denied if I only fill out the top half (myself) and not the other half for the roommate, though my mom says she is intent on getting me in no matter what :P I found someone in band who I could've roomed with but he found someone else, and I also found someone in chorus, but he was clearly not excited when I made the suggestion, and hasn't discussed it ever since I mentioned it, so I will not press it any further and take it as a no.

I have a feeling things will work out okay somehow...but I just wish I could find a nice, but awesome roommate for my next year, and probably for the year after that. This place I could be living is great because you get space for just two people (not 24 like the suite I'm in now), and I plan to learn to cook things over the summer so I can make my own meals in the kitchenette thingy, and I could actually leave things out without worrying about people stealing them. And even though it's off campus I can get to campus in under 15 minutes, but they have a shuttle service for the terrible weather days.

Yeah...it's been on my mind many, many times.

So, I am roommateless for next year. I did find out about this roommate locater book so I put myself down in that today. Hopefully something will come from that so that I'm not completely left to randomness for next year.

Here's the scoop. My roommate is living with someone else next year. While res life says "who you live is more important than where you live," I have no guarantee for who I live with so might as well look into upperclassmen housing, which is apartment style (all sophomore halls are suite style, which I'm pretty much done with after this year). There is a specialty housing place for upperclassmen with GPA 3+ so I'm going to apply for that. I've been worried that my application will be denied if I only fill out the top half (myself) and not the other half for the roommate, though my mom says she is intent on getting me in no matter what :P I found someone in band who I could've roomed with but he found someone else, and I also found someone in chorus, but he was clearly not excited when I made the suggestion, and hasn't discussed it ever since I mentioned it, so I will not press it any further and take it as a no.

I have a feeling things will work out okay somehow...but I just wish I could find a nice, but awesome roommate for my next year, and probably for the year after that. This place I could be living is great because you get space for just two people (not 24 like the suite I'm in now), and I plan to learn to cook things over the summer so I can make my own meals in the kitchenette thingy, and I could actually leave things out without worrying about people stealing them. And even though it's off campus I can get to campus in under 15 minutes, but they have a shuttle service for the terrible weather days.

Yeah...it's been on my mind many, many times.

That sounds pretty cool. Suites stink if you're not friends with your suitemates.

That sounds pretty cool. Suites stink if you're not friends with your suitemates.

Definitely. Perhaps it's better that I'm too shy to yell at people for making noise, so I at least haven't made any enemies within the suite. I'm kind of on neutral ground with everyone (except my roommate who I am on good grounds with). Still, it can feel alienating at times.

What are the residential halls like at your school? Besides the crabby RA on the floor above you. :P

Definitely. Perhaps it's better that I'm too shy to yell at people for making noise, so I at least haven't made any enemies within the suite. I'm kind of on neutral ground with everyone (except my roommate who I am on good grounds with). Still, it can feel alienating at times.

What are the residential halls like at your school? Besides the crabby RA on the floor above you. :P

There are all sorts of different types of housing. I live in a standard double, which is two people sharing one room in a hallway that shares a few bathrooms. There are 6 person suites that share a bathroom and a mini hallway that connects all the rooms and the bathroom to the main hallway. There are pods, which are four doubles that share two bathrooms and a common area. And there are four person apartments, which is four single rooms that share a living room, kitchen, and bathroom. There are also triples, which is just three people in a room instead of two, and singles which is just one person in a room.

There are all sorts of different types of housing. I live in a standard double, which is two people sharing one room in a hallway that shares a few bathrooms. There are 6 person suites that share a bathroom and a mini hallway that connects all the rooms and the bathroom to the main hallway. There are pods, which are four doubles that share two bathrooms and a common area. And there are four person apartments, which is four single rooms that share a living room, kitchen, and bathroom. There are also triples, which is just three people in a room instead of two, and singles which is just one person in a room.

Single room areas? That would be wonderful. At my school you basically can never have a single room unless you are willing to be stuck in an unused room in one of the two basic Freshman dorms which are rather noisy and unclean...or become an RA, which I could not handle.

Single room areas? That would be wonderful. At my school you basically can never have a single room unless you are willing to be stuck in an unused room in one of the two basic Freshman dorms which are rather noisy and unclean...or become an RA, which I could not handle.

Yeah, they're not in areas, but some people just luck out and get single rooms (as do RAs). Although this coming year there will be no more singles for normal students, because we've got a bit of a housing shortage. Some people are going to be forced into triples. >_<

Yeah, they're not in areas, but some people just luck out and get single rooms (as do RAs). Although this coming year there will be no more singles for normal students, because we've got a bit of a housing shortage. Some people are going to be forced into triples. >_<

Oh my! Hope that doesn't happen to you, unless you're planning a triple for next year. Here some freshmen are forced into designated triple rooms, but I don't think returning students face that problem much at all, except perhaps some sophomores.

Well I get to go home for my birthday instead of doing a 9 hour bus ride for the hockey tourney (that rhymes!) And then I go back for two days of classes and then easter break starts. :P My level beta testing is going more slowly because I decided to take up the challenge of fixing textures as much as I can without changing the room structures too much. And I have two exams Friday before I go dome. :rolleyes:

Oh my! Hope that doesn't happen to you, unless you're planning a triple for next year. Here some freshmen are forced into designated triple rooms, but I don't think returning students face that problem much at all, except perhaps some sophomores.

I hope so too. My roomie and I don't have enough physical space for a 3rd person. (We're both from out of state, so we have EVERYTHING here on campus, because we can't just go home and get it)

I hope so too. My roomie and I don't have enough physical space for a 3rd person. (We're both from out of state, so we have EVERYTHING here on campus, because we can't just go home and get it)

Yes, my roommate is from NJ so he seems to have everything but the kitchen sink with him. Good thing he is obsessed with organizing. :P

Youpi! I am roommateless no longer! It turns out two guys in band are forming a 4 person appartment in the place I wanted to live, but they needed a fourth person so I got the offer in an email today. ^_^ I wrote back and now we just need to get the applications together. I'm so glad that this is finally resolved and I can room with people that I, well, know. :) Here's to forming new friendships next year.

Youpi! I am roommateless no longer! It turns out two guys in band are forming a 4 person appartment in the place I wanted to live, but they needed a fourth person so I got the offer in an email today. ^_^ I wrote back and now we just need to get the applications together. I'm so glad that this is finally resolved and I can room with people that I, well, know. :) Here's to forming new friendships next year.

Jesse!!!! What great news! I hope it all works out for you.

Awesome! ^_^ Band people are usually fun times, and nice people in general.

Yes, I hope so too. I have a good feeling that it will, though. By the way the times seem to keep changing on the board. More specifically the forum index is now an hour behind the rest of the board for some reason.

Yes, I hope so too. I have a good feeling that it will, though. By the way the times seem to keep changing on the board. More specifically the forum index is now an hour behind the rest of the board for some reason.

Yeah, I noticed that too. The boards can't seem to make up their minds whether it's daylight savings time or not.

Yeah, I noticed that too. The boards can't seem to make up their minds whether it's daylight savings time or not.

That's only because some of them are still programmed to the old Daylight Savings Time... which would not have occurred yet.

That's only because some of them are still programmed to the old Daylight Savings Time... which would not have occurred yet.

Ah, that kinda makes sense.

Ah, that kinda makes sense.

I was one of those who didn't know we were changing over. Woke up and wondered why I felt like I was missing something. :lol:

Oh yeah! And European Union's DST begins in about 3 weeks, maybe that confuses it too. Anyway, unchecking the automatic option and enabling DST manually fixes the problem. :)

Oh yeah! And European Union's DST begins in about 3 weeks, maybe that confuses it too. Anyway, unchecking the automatic option and enabling DST manually fixes the problem. :)

You are much more energetic then I am. I just keep the computer on GMT so that I never have to change anything, automatically or manually. :lol:

Nostalgia attack! I'm on easter break, and bored, so I found my old board and decided to see if I could do an increasing privileges approach with user ranks, which I can. Would HK consider doing such on this board? Like with x amount of posts you can create your own polls, with y amount of posts you can upload your own avatars, etc. My approach was to create a user group for each rank (members of one group jump to the next after meeting the post requirement) and then I could edit each rank's privileges seperately. I also removed guests' ability to view the creative forums (stories, photos, and music) for security reasons...wish I had thought of that before. :wacko:

Nostalgia attack! I'm on easter break, and bored, so I found my old board and decided to see if I could do an increasing privileges approach with user ranks, which I can. Would HK consider doing such on this board? Like with x amount of posts you can create your own polls, with y amount of posts you can upload your own avatars, etc. My approach was to create a user group for each rank (members of one group jump to the next after meeting the post requirement) and then I could edit each rank's privileges seperately. I also removed guests' ability to view the creative forums (stories, photos, and music) for security reasons...wish I had thought of that before. :wacko:

You will have to give that information again. It was on my old computer and now I don't have access.

As for your ideas, HampsterKing has been considering those ideas, so I appreciate hearing them as I think they would work.

You will have to give that information again. It was on my old computer and now I don't have access.

As for your ideas, HampsterKing has been considering those ideas, so I appreciate hearing them as I think they would work.

What information are you asking for? :huh: You mean as in, where my board is?

What information are you asking for? :huh: You mean as in, where my board is?

Exactly. Just put it in a post for me please. I have tried all the names I thought I remembered.

Um, Jesse, for some reason your boards are now coming up as a "404 Not Found" page. :unsure:

If you go to the server's home page you'll see that the server was hacked. :wacko: I'm scared because all these sites I go to have been getting hacked recently, but so far all of them have recovered. So I changed all my passwords. Again. <_<

Um, Jesse, for some reason your boards are now coming up as a "404 Not Found" page. :unsure:

If you go to the server's home page you'll see that the server was hacked. :wacko: I'm scared because all these sites I go to have been getting hacked recently, but so far all of them have recovered. So I changed all my passwords. Again. <_>

Sounds like you are being stalked. :o

If you go to the server's home page you'll see that the server was hacked. :wacko: I'm scared because all these sites I go to have been getting hacked recently, but so far all of them have recovered. So I changed all my passwords. Again. <_<

I know! So far they've all been turkish groups I think. :blink: I hope this board isn't affected by this, but if it does then I apologize... :unsure:

I know! So far they've all been turkish groups I think. :blink: I hope this board isn't affected by this, but if it does then I apologize... :unsure:

Well, it's fixed now. At least this stalker doesn't seem to be very good at his job. :P

If you go to the server's home page you'll see that the server was hacked. :wacko: I'm scared because all these sites I go to have been getting hacked recently, but so far all of them have recovered. So I changed all my passwords. Again. <_>

Well, it's fixed now. At least this stalker doesn't seem to be very good at his job. :P

LOL... good thing!

Yeah for incompetence!

lol oh boy. I don't really see the point in messing up other peoples' stuff. I mean really, how could messing around with a server benefit them?

lol oh boy. I don't really see the point in messing up other peoples' stuff. I mean really, how could messing around with a server benefit them?

The level of success is directly related to the level of disruption. Unfortunately, that's where they get their thrills.

The level of success is directly related to the level of disruption. Unfortunately, that's where they get their thrills.

Why don't they just go into the demolition business then? :rolleyes: It's not like they can see the reactions of the people they're upsetting.

Why don't they just go into the demolition business then? :rolleyes: It's not like they can see the reactions of the people they're upsetting.

I'm sure there is some method by which they find out of their destruction and the havoc it has wreaked.

There is a great book about a guy called The Cuckoo's Egg: Tracking a Spy Through the Maze of Computer Espionage, by Clifford Stoll. Very good book.

The book is about a hacker, not a destructive guy, such as above, but a hacker nonetheless.

So yesterday my Easter break ended and I went back to classes. A little tough to make the transition. I have my schedule worked out for the next two years so I just hope that they keep offering the same classes and that none of them fill up before I can register.

So yesterday my Easter break ended and I went back to classes. A little tough to make the transition. I have my schedule worked out for the next two years so I just hope that they keep offering the same classes and that none of them fill up before I can register.

When

The next two years to have your schedule worked out??? WOW! You are incredible. I am never able to work out my schedule more than a month in advance. :lol:

When

The next two years to have your schedule worked out??? WOW! You are incredible. I am never able to work out my schedule more than a month in advance. :lol:

Sounds like you wound end up being waitlisted for quite a few classes :P I wanted to make sure things would work out for me to graduate within 3 years, because when you get into higher level courses then they are offered only one semester per year, which makes things tricky. But again, I will be fine if they keep offering the courses the same way they do now, and that none of my classes fill up before I can join.

When

Sounds like you wound end up being waitlisted for quite a few classes :P I wanted to make sure things would work out for me to graduate within 3 years, because when you get into higher level courses then they are offered only one semester per year, which makes things tricky. But again, I will be fine if they keep offering the courses the same way they do now, and that none of my classes fill up before I can join.

In your field of study, I think you will be okay. Graduating in three years is quite an accomplishment! You will need to treat yourself to something terrific as a present for working so very hard.

lol I just put my schedule for next semester together last night, and I register on Monday I think. :rolleyes:

Hope that you get all your preferred classes. :)

In my previous post it should be would, not wound. :rolleyes:

lol I just put my schedule for next semester together last night, and I register on Monday I think. :rolleyes:

Hope that you get all your preferred classes. :)

In my previous post it should be would, not wound. :rolleyes:

:lol: I was trying how to make a funny typo out of that. Couldn't figure out a funny response. :lol:

Ack really tired tonight. I spend all night playing the biblical version of Apples to Apples after bible study ended. It was fun! But now I need to go to bed. I can sleep in until 10 tomorrow, YOUPI! :D