Jesse's topic

Jesse

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just realised I've only posted here once.

So I'm posting here again.

*gives a giant wolf hug*

Hello! :D *Hands over a glow-in-the-dark wormcicle*

That's a cool new product!!!

not to mention slightly odd... :huh:

Well, my school's band doesn't go to other states. I think only colleges have a national competition, or there's just a national competition I don't know about. That's probably the case, my band is average right now, not good enough for a competition any larger than a state one. But yeah, scoring systems are different all over the place.

Well, my school's band doesn't go to other states. I think only colleges have a national competition, or there's just a national competition I don't know about. That's probably the case, my band is average right now, not good enough for a competition any larger than a state one. But yeah, scoring systems are different all over the place.

Thanks for clarifying it for me. Being a violin player, you never learn about marching band. LOL

Thanks for clarifying it for me. Being a violin player, you never learn about marching band. LOL

Hmm...marching violinists! Now there's a thought...could it actually be done??

There are strolling violinists... marching? I don't know.

Will I have to bend my knees or keep them straight? LOL

Probably. I think most instruments you can march with. It's just ones like double bases and violoncellos that you can't o_O

Ironically enough, I used to play the piano (can't march with that...) and the cello (nor that...) and I've been thinking of taking up drumming (and how would you march around with a whole kit? o_O)

Probably. I think most instruments you can march with. It's just ones like double bases and violoncellos that you can't o_O

Ironically enough, I used to play the piano (can't march with that...) and the cello (nor that...) and I've been thinking of taking up drumming (and how would you march around with a whole kit? o_O)

You will get to pick one to hang around your neck. Might I suggest the kettle drum? LOL

You will get to pick one to hang around your neck. Might I suggest the kettle drum? LOL

The Timpani.

But I still think you wouldn't get a good beat out of a drum without at least the basics.

The Timpani.

But I still think you wouldn't get a good beat out of a drum without at least the basics.

You just have a bunch of drumming marchers.

The Timpani rocks.

(Aww, you mean I can't say that? Okay. The timpani rocks then.)

The Timpani.

Co-ordinating them would be heck xD

The Timpani.

You can have drums in the marching band. They're an essential part of each breakfast of the band.

The Timpani.

You can have drums in the marching band. They're an essential part of each breakfast of the band.

*hands out earplugs*

The Timpani.

They'd be tasty fun.

The Timpani.

They'd be tasty fun.

Now that I am no longer in your stomach, you have plenty of room. LOL

Okay, screenshot class! *bell rings and classroom door closes*

For a simple screenshot that shows everything on the display at the moment, press and hold cmd + shift + 3. If your volume is up you should hear a camera flash sound. Sometimes you may need to hold the keys down longer in cases where a lot of memory is being used, or you are inside a computer game or something.

The screenshots can be found on the desktop for Mac OS X users, and in the hard drive folder for Mac OS 9 users. In both cases the files are named "picture #" where # is the number higher up than the previous picture's number, starting with 1 of course.

For a screenshot of a portion of the screen, press and hold cmd + shift + 4. A pair of crosshairs show up and you can click and drag a rectangular part of the screen for the screenshot. Release the mouse button to fire the camera.

For a screenshot of a particular window or file, press and hold cmd + shift + 4 + capslock. Release the keys and then click the window or file to launch the camera.

With any of these methods, you may also additionally hold the control key to save it to the clipboard instead of as a file. (As in, you can paste the screenshot somewhere).

*bell rings* Class dismissed.

Okay, screenshot class! *bell rings and classroom door closes*

For a simple screenshot that shows everything on the display at the moment, press and hold cmd + shift + 3. If your volume is up you should hear a camera flash sound. Sometimes you may need to hold the keys down longer in cases where a lot of memory is being used, or you are inside a computer game or something.

The screenshots can be found on the desktop for Mac OS X users, and in the hard drive folder for Mac OS 9 users. In both cases the files are named "picture #" where # is the number higher up than the previous picture's number, starting with 1 of course.

For a screenshot of a portion of the screen, press and hold cmd + shift + 4. A pair of crosshairs show up and you can click and drag a rectangular part of the screen for the screenshot. Release the mouse button to fire the camera.

For a screenshot of a particular window or file, press and hold cmd + shift + 4 + capslock. Release the keys and then click the window or file to launch the camera.

With any of these methods, you may also additionally hold the control key to save it to the clipboard instead of as a file. (As in, you can paste the screenshot somewhere).

*bell rings* Class dismissed.

You are my hero!!!

Thank you sooooooo much!!!

*runs and puts it into Adams how-to file* :D

*gives Jesse a big box of Orange Micicles*

Wha...did you just respond to my post without approving it? :blink:

I clicked on the box to approve it, clicked on reply, replied, then clicked approve. It is a bit of a pain to go about it the other way.

Just wanted to see if you were watching.

BTW, those orange micicles are fresh from the grove. I picked the oranges myself from the tree in my neighbor's yard. And yes, I did ask permission first.... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

LOL! You peoples obviously don't watch a lot of marching shows. I think that string instruments are way too fragile. They break too easily. XD And then drumming, wow, haven't you people heard of the movie Drumline? It's not a good portrayal, but it's a movie called Drumline, nonetheless, and points out clearly that you can march snares, bass drums, and the suchlike. XD

LOL! You peoples obviously don't watch a lot of marching shows. I think that string instruments are way too fragile. They break too easily. XD And then drumming, wow, haven't you people heard of the movie Drumline? It's not a good portrayal, but it's a movie called Drumline, nonetheless, and points out clearly that you can march snares, bass drums, and the suchlike. XD

I agree. I don't think I could march in a band with my violin. One of the problems is when you stop bowing, you put your arm down, or away from your instrument. Now you have created another problem with the bow in hand. Best to keep the strings at home. Besides, I am way, way too small.

:blink: Thank you! I've already had some orange ones and they taste great. :D

Oh by the way, I've made a new avatar and I would like to use this instead of the other one I posted. That is, if either of them ever get up onto the site. :lol:

post-3829-1165617712.jpg

Oh by the way, I've made a new avatar and I would like to use this instead of the other one I posted. That is, if either of them ever get up onto the site. :lol:

Glad you like them.

This is the best avatar yet.

*lights a fire under HampsterKing's chair*

I must get him to add this one!

Glad you like them.

*is entertained by the clever use of the word "chair" * :rolleyes: Spiffy avatar, Jesse! ^_^

Glad you like them.

*is entertained by the clever use of the word "chair" * :rolleyes: Spiffy avatar, Jesse! ^_^

ROFOCLH!!!!!

I was wondering if anyone would catch that. You just started my day off with a laugh! :lol:

Glad you like them.

Thanks, both of you. :) (first time using the multiquote button thingies!)

Glad you like them.

ROFOCLH!!!!!

I was wondering if anyone would catch that. You just started my day off with a laugh! :lol:

When you're in college and know all of the uncensored versions, you catch these things. Oh, and ptmyrofoclh :rolleyes:

Glad you like them.

ROFOCLH!!!!!

Meh, still don't get it. xD But shouldn't HK have a throne instead?

My dad found an old PC in the junk pile at work, so he brought it home and set it up for me to use. :) I am now learning to use a new Tomb Raider editor on it, called Dxtre3d. This fan-made editor has some advantages over the official editor, the most prominent being I can make levels for any tomb raider game 1-5.

I decided I would like to make a snow level for the TR5 engine which allows snow to fall. Here is what I've done so far:

post-3829-1165704196_thumb.jpg

I've only gotten that one place done and I still need to fix up the lighting anyway. No, the outfit is not by me, and this level (series?) will probably be irrelevant to Tomb Raider: The Wolf, so chances of Luke appearing are low.

I still need to finish Tomb Raider: The Wolf, but I keep getting stuck. "Builder's block" you might call it.

Glad you like them.

ROFOCLH!!!!!

When you're in college and know all of the uncensored versions, you catch these things. Oh, and ptmyrofoclh :rolleyes:

I will only do this once or else everyone will come after me...

ptmyptmmrofoclh. :D

My dad found an old PC in the junk pile at work, so he brought it home and set it up for me to use. :) I am now learning to use a new Tomb Raider editor on it, called Dxtre3d. This fan-made editor has some advantages over the official editor, the most prominent being I can make levels for any tomb raider game 1-5.

I decided I would like to make a snow level for the TR5 engine which allows snow to fall. Here is what I've done so far:

post-3829-1165704196_thumb.jpg

I've only gotten that one place done and I still need to fix up the lighting anyway. No, the outfit is not by me, and this level (series?) will probably be irrelevant to Tomb Raider: The Wolf, so chances of Luke appearing are low.

I still need to finish Tomb Raider: The Wolf, but I keep getting stuck. "Builder's block" you might call it.

oh em geee! Snow! ^_^ Haha I sound like an idiot. My brain doesn't function too well this late at night. :rolleyes: Oh, and lol @ Horatio. I'm not going to continue with that. Or else my sanity might run off with the ptmy's again. :rolleyes:

Tomb_Raider_Picture__004.jpg

oh em geee! Snow! ^_^ Haha I sound like an idiot. My brain doesn't function too well this late at night. :rolleyes: Oh, and lol @ Horatio. I'm not going to continue with that. Or else my sanity might run off with the ptmy's again. :rolleyes:

:lol: Thanks! I appreciate you being so kind! :lol:

We found our cat dead this morning in her bed. It must have been from old age. We thought she was 10 years old, but my dad thinks that the people we adopted her from might have said she was younger, and she might have lived to be 12 or 13 years old. I feel guilty for not spending enough time with her, but...where does the time come when you DO spend enough time with somebody?

*~*The Grand Illusion*~*The Final Cut*~*

*Takes Candy* *Thinks I should be more resourcful with them besides the Meat Grinder* *Throws them at Arkcher*

*~*The psychedelic Luau*~*The Astronomy Domine*~*

-shomps sugary confections- =D

We found our cat dead this morning in her bed. It must have been from old age. We thought she was 10 years old, but my dad thinks that the people we adopted her from might have said she was younger, and she might have lived to be 12 or 13 years old. I feel guilty for not spending enough time with her, but...where does the time come when you DO spend enough time with somebody?

I am sorry to hear about your cat. It sounds like she died peacefully. Your cat was probably very happy with the time she did spend with you. Please do not feel guilty about the time not spent, but think about how your cat had a great life in a nice home with a wonderful family. I think of the poor animals that people abandon, who must fend for themselves on the street. Your cat knows that she was loved and was a member of your family.

As for spending enough time... I think it is more about the love you show, not the amount of time. You seem like a warm, caring, loving person and I believe you usually do what is right when it comes to showing how much you care. Hold these thoughts in your heart.

I am sorry to hear about your cat. It sounds like she died peacefully. Your cat was probably very happy with the time she did spend with you. Please do not feel guilty about the time not spent, but think about how your cat had a great life in a nice home with a wonderful family. I think of the poor animals that people abandon, who must fend for themselves on the street. Your cat knows that she was loved and was a member of your family.

As for spending enough time... I think it is more about the love you show, not the amount of time. You seem like a warm, caring, loving person and I believe you usually do what is right when it comes to showing how much you care. Hold these thoughts in your heart.

Thank you Horatio. She did have a peaceful death, and she was happy to be outside rolling around in the driveway, and to see me everyday I came into the garage after school each day. Also we believe she was going blind, and was having a tough time walking, so even if she were still alive, she would have just been suffering. It was a perfect time to go. She had a good life.

Also thanks for the compliments on my end. :blush:

Thank you Horatio. She did have a peaceful death, and she was happy to be outside rolling around in the driveway, and to see me everyday I came into the garage after school each day. Also we believe she was going blind, and was having a tough time walking, so even if she were still alive, she would have just been suffering. It was a perfect time to go. She had a good life.

Also thanks for the compliments on my end. :blush:

You are most welcome.

Aw. *big hugs* Losing a pet is always really sad, but it sounds like you've got a good perspective on it. kudos for being so strong. :)

Thanks for your support guys.

I didn't make the regionals. The cutoff was 210 and I only got a score of 136. So I kind of bombed. :rolleyes: I also have a playing test on a song that has 4 sections of vicious 16th note runs. I can play them "OK" as my director said when hearing the clarinets playing together, but I really need to smooth it out.

I didn't make the regionals. The cutoff was 210 and I only got a score of 136. So I kind of bombed. :rolleyes: I also have a playing test on a song that has 4 sections of vicious 16th note runs. I can play them "OK" as my director said when hearing the clarinets playing together, but I really need to smooth it out.

I am really sorry to hear you didn't make it. There must have been quite a bit of tough competition. Hope you are not too disappointed.

*gives Jesse a big hug and some freshly baked micicakes*

I am really sorry to hear you didn't make it. There must have been quite a bit of tough competition. Hope you are not too disappointed.

Micicakes? Don't remember having these before...*takes a bite* yummy. Thanks. No, I'm not that disappointed. I wasn't holding any expectations except to do my best at the auditions, which I did except for the scales part :unsure: I'm glad I tried, either way. They yelled at me for tapping my foot, so I don't think I wanted to deal with that kind of thinking anyway. :rolleyes:

Micicakes? Don't remember having these before...*takes a bite* yummy. Thanks. No, I'm not that disappointed. I wasn't holding any expectations except to do my best at the auditions, which I did except for the scales part :unsure: I'm glad I tried, either way. They yelled at me for tapping my foot, so I don't think I wanted to deal with that kind of thinking anyway. :rolleyes:

I don't think I could play without tapping my foot. I don't blame you for not wanting to deal with people like that.

What did they say about tapping your foot? Even after several years of not playing an instrument, i still tap my foot/fingers or whatever to a beat.

What did they say about tapping your foot? Even after several years of not playing an instrument, i still tap my foot/fingers or whatever to a beat.

On the "comments" section on my score sheet they wrote "please don't tap your foot." ..hollowed by "practice with a metronome." Which I found contradictory. How does tapping your foot NOT help maintain your rhythm? (For the record yes, I did practice with a metronome).

On the "comments" section on my score sheet they wrote "please don't tap your foot." ..hollowed by "practice with a metronome." Which I found contradictory. How does tapping your foot NOT help maintain your rhythm? (For the record yes, I did practice with a metronome).

I was just watching an orchestra on the tele and you would never guess what I saw... players tapping their feet. :lol:

*sends a copy of the program to all the judges*

I was just watching an orchestra on the tele and you would never guess what I saw... players tapping their feet. :lol:

I know I often tap my feet when I'm singing. :huh: But then again, for marching band, I guess if one player is tapping their foot, they all have to tap their feet to keep it uniform.

I know I often tap my feet when I'm singing. :huh: But then again, for marching band, I guess if one player is tapping their foot, they all have to tap their feet to keep it uniform.

This isn't for marching band, I finished that last month. This is for concert band. ;)

I can't stand these fatal errors! :angry2: It took me 31 tries to try and get into this topic. I don't think I can try and get into many topics while this is going on, lest my patience run out and I pull my fur out.

I dunno, they are freaks.

This isn't for marching band, I finished that last month. This is for concert band. ;)

I can't stand these fatal errors! :angry2: It took me 31 tries to try and get into this topic. I don't think I can try and get into many topics while this is going on, lest my patience run out and I pull my fur out.

What I am doing is just hitting the back button. About the third try it goes through. If you make a post and a fatal error appears, the post will go through. Just back-track and you should be fine. Interesting thing that Jesusfreak noticed, the new topics do not have the fatal errors, only the old topics. :unsure:

What I am doing is just hitting the back button. About the third try it goes through. If you make a post and a fatal error appears, the post will go through. Just back-track and you should be fine. Interesting thing that Jesusfreak noticed, the new topics do not have the fatal errors, only the old topics. :unsure:

For me trying to get to the page through a different link usually works too...

For me trying to get to the page through a different link usually works too...

Oh good idea. I will try that next time. Thanks. :D

Ah, thanks for telling me! *runs and puts it on* How do I look? ;) Thank you HK! :D (I hope his uh, chair didn't burn too long :lol: )

I'm going to play at a band concert soon. I got a new dress shirt and pants and for the first time in forever, it's comfortable! :o I never thought that was possible! (Actually the neck ruff is slightly itchy)

*pulls out clarinet* Let's kick butt!

Jesse... HampsterKing has your avatar in the base gallery!!!

:D:D:D:D:D

Yay new avatars!!! I should just take some of my pictures and chop them into square shape to they can be avatars. ^_^ How exactly do you go about submitting new avatars again?

Hold them for a bit, as HampsterKing is still trying to work out the bugs, but when he is ready, send them to: support@hampsterdance.com.

The reason he posted Jesse's avatar is because I had persisted as Jesse had submitted his first one so long ago.

Ah, thanks for telling me! *runs and puts it on* How do I look? ;) Thank you HK! :D (I hope his uh, chair didn't burn too long :lol: )

I'm going to play at a band concert soon. I got a new dress shirt and pants and for the first time in forever, it's comfortable! :o I never thought that was possible! (Actually the neck ruff is slightly itchy)

Glad you like it! It looks great on you. :D

As for the band concert, go for it!!! Use a little baby powder around your neck where it is itchy.

Very nice! ^_^ I generally don't buy dress clothes that aren't comforatble. As a result, I'm a tough person to go shoe shopping with. :rolleyes:

Very nice! ^_^ I generally don't buy dress clothes that aren't comforatble. As a result, I'm a tough person to go shoe shopping with. :rolleyes:

Birkenstocks always fit the occasion. :D

The concert went well! The songs our director chooses are fun. The wind ensemble did 3 songs by themselves, then the orchestra played 4 songs, and then the concert band did 3 songs, and for a finale the wind ensemble and the concert band joined together for First suite and Sleigh Ride. :D Except for not being locked in for the first part of a song, we did really well I think. It was probably the funnest concert I've participated in so far.

The concert went well! The songs our director chooses are fun. The wind ensemble did 3 songs by themselves, then the orchestra played 4 songs, and then the concert band did 3 songs, and for a finale the wind ensemble and the concert band joined together for First suite and Sleigh Ride. :D Except for not being locked in for the first part of a song, we did really well I think. It was probably the funnest concert I've participated in so far.

Yeah Jesse!!! Outstanding!!!

Glad to hear you had a great time!!!

Last night I watched a Christmas concert with Andre Rieu.

In this one part they spotlighted the clarinetist and she was great. I thought of you. :D

Yay Christmas concerts! ^_^

Jesse needs to post in his own topic more often. *pokes Jesse* :P

*hides micicles through-out the topic to lure Jesse here*

*Steals all the micicles*

*tackles cheesemaster and snatches a micicle in his muzzle*

Not much to post about except, yay, it's Christmas break now!

• 2 weeks later...
Please tell me I'm not the only one who is experiencing "cannot find server" messages for this board and getting logged out each time it happens. :unsure:

That happened to me all the time until I did the following: first I cleaned the cache for Safari and cleaned the cache for Firefox. Next I clicked on the Hard-drive icon and then clicked on the house in the hard-drive folder. Then I dragged the cache to the trash. Shut-down the computer waited one minute and the started the computer back up. (Not the same as just clicking on restart.) I received the above instructions from the Apple people and she said if that did not clear up the problem, I could drag a couple other files to the trash. These are repopulating folders and there is no need to worry about stuff lost. When I restarted the computer, I emptied the trash. Ever since then, I have had absolutely no problems.

*knocks on wood*

Please tell me I'm not the only one who is experiencing "cannot find server" messages for this board and getting logged out each time it happens. :unsure:

That happened to me all the time until I did the following: first I cleaned the cache for Safari and cleaned the cache for Firefox. Next I clicked on the Hard-drive icon and then clicked on the house in the hard-drive folder. Then I dragged the cache to the trash. Shut-down the computer waited one minute and the started the computer back up. (Not the same as just clicking on restart.) I received the above instructions from the Apple people and she said if that did not clear up the problem, I could drag a couple other files to the trash. These are repopulating folders and there is no need to worry about stuff lost. When I restarted the computer, I emptied the trash. Ever since then, I have had absolutely no problems.

*knocks on wood*

Okay, thanks for the tip, I'll try that. I couldn't get in at all today until just now...

Phew! Not only did I clear the cache but I reduced the cache size...I had it set to like, 76.8 MB or something crazy like that. I brought it down to 5 MB. :)

Phew! Not only did I clear the cache but I reduced the cache size...I had it set to like, 76.8 MB or something crazy like that. I brought it down to 5 MB. :)

Let me know if your problem reappears. HampsterKing is still trying to fix the problem because there are a bunch of people who still can't get on.

Let me know if your problem reappears. HampsterKing is still trying to fix the problem because there are a bunch of people who still can't get on.

Yes, I still can't get on. The server only seems to be up after like, 10 PM (EST of course) and then by the next day it's down again. :unsure:

Yes, I still can't get on. The server only seems to be up after like, 10 PM (EST of course) and then by the next day it's down again. :unsure:

I will let HampsterKing know.

Okay, I figured it out! One of the networks in my house does not like the server hampsterboard.com. A firewall issue perhaps? Anyway I'm using the other one now.

Okay, I figured it out! One of the networks in my house does not like the server hampsterboard.com. A firewall issue perhaps? Anyway I'm using the other one now.

Yay! Yes, it has been waaaay too quiet around here. Which is bad because I'm bored out of y mind and in need of some form of entertainment/communication with people other than my family (whom I love dearly, but three people aren't enough to keep me from going insane).

Yay! Yes, it has been waaaay too quiet around here. Which is bad because I'm bored out of y mind and in need of some form of entertainment/communication with people other than my family (whom I love dearly, but three people aren't enough to keep me from going insane).

LOL

I've had that feeling too. :P *Tumbleweed rolls by* let's play tumbleweed soccer!

I've had that feeling too. :P *Tumbleweed rolls by* let's play tumbleweed soccer!

Yay tumbleweed soccer! ^_^

What's the teams? =D

What's the teams? =D

Just join in. :lol:

What's the teams? =D

Okay! *steals the tumbleweed and tries to pass to jesse, but the weed floats away* Aww...

What's the teams? =D

Okay! *steals the tumbleweed and tries to pass to jesse, but the weed floats away* Aww...

*being much faster than a wurm, catches the tumbleweed and covers it with dark chocolate*

What's the teams? =D

*being much faster than a wurm, catches the tumbleweed and covers it with dark chocolate*

Hahaha I remember this... :rolleyes:

What's the teams? =D

I don't! ^_^

*eats the chocolate tumbleweed*

Ack! Weedball! *starts making weird ack noises*

What's the teams? =D

I don't! ^_^

*performs the Heimlich maneuver on Glowurm*

*gets more tumbleweed and air drops it in the northeast*

*adds dark chocolate, milk chocolate, white chocolate and fluff*

What's the teams? =D

I don't! ^_^

Fluff! ^_^ *adds strawberries and sprinkles*

What's the teams? =D

I don't! ^_^

*puts in chocolate hazelnut spread*

What's the teams? =D

I don't! ^_^

Yum!!! Nutella, my favorite. :D

What's the teams? =D

I don't! ^_^

Nutella and marshmellow fluff sandwhiches are really tasty, with some banana slices...

What's the teams? =D

I don't! ^_^

Nutella and marshmellow fluff sandwhiches are really tasty, with some banana slices...

And what would those sandwiches be on... graham crackers? :huh:

What's the teams? =D

I don't! ^_^

No, good old white bread.

What's the teams? =D

I don't! ^_^

Whole grain bread is better! :rolleyes: And to Horatio's question, dark, for sure. ^_^

What's the teams? =D

I don't! ^_^

Whole grain bread is better! :rolleyes: And to Horatio's question, dark, for sure. ^_^

LOL... great minds think alike!!!

*whips out some chocolate Micicles* That is the ONLY chocolate. :D

And the ONLY chocolate is which chocolate??? Dark, milk or white???

All three. It's white on the head, milk in the abdomen, and dark on the hind legs + tail. ^_^

All three. It's white on the head, milk in the abdomen, and dark on the hind legs + tail. ^_^

I see you have covered all the bases in political correctness.

Nah, if I was politically correct I would not have said the word "white" at all. :rolleyes: I refer to how the word "black" was practically banned in England...for example "Bah bah black sheep" is now "bah bah green sheep". Scary stuff. :blink:

Nah, if I was politically correct I would not have said the word "white" at all. :rolleyes: I refer to how the word "black" was practically banned in England...for example "Bah bah black sheep" is now "bah bah green sheep". Scary stuff. :blink:

So, you would have red chocolate on top, yellow chocolate in the middle and green chocolate on the bottom. LOL

Hahaha "I'm not white, I'm European American!" People take things way too far sometimes. :rolleyes:

Hahaha "I'm not white, I'm European American!" People take things way too far sometimes. :rolleyes:

What do they call Africans in Europe? Cause over here, we have "African americans." But I dunno. Things are way too far.

• 2 weeks later...
Jesse, why do you never post in your own topic? :P

Cause there's nothing to say at the moment. :)

I'm sure you could come up with something. :P

Um...oh yeah, I got into the honors program at my college. ^_^ That = max 20 people per class, preferred housing, and perhaps projects between the student + teacher. And more scholarships.

Now I'm freaking out because I'm going to have an audition for a band scholarship, however the scholarship requires you to join the marching band and pep band, which I ABSOLUTELY HATE. :angry2: Four years of it in highschool had made me sooo sick of it, and college level is even more intense. So I'll see how much monies I get first...the range is 500-3000 dollars. Privately I'm thinking if it is higher than 2000 then I'll consider, since that is the amount I'm getting for work study. I'm almost hoping I'll not get any scholarship and not have to make a decision about whether to take it or not. :rolleyes: Of course my dad goes on about this whole thing about how great marching band would be for me, although he brought up points that for the most part can apply for concert band, too (which I'm joining no matter what).

Maybe making a Pros and Cons list will help. I'll try to think of all the factors.

Pros (I get a scholarship):

+ I get money. Yay.

+ It makes my parents happy.

+? Which appearently means I have to work less. Although I already got 23 thousand dollars for next year, which is a result from rigorous work in highschool, and 2,000 of it is from work study in college. So relatively speaking this scholarship is the cherry top on a sundae that I've earned for itself. And that doesn't include outside scholarships that mom and I have worked at. And I hate having the cherry there anyway. Saying that not getting this scholarship will make me "work at burger king" as my dad describes it, makes things seem like what I've worked for already doesn't make up for it at all. I consider this pro irrelevant for now.

+? According to my dad marching band is a good environment for making friends. And so is concert band, so this point is irrelevant. And I will be to busy losing my breath and trying to learn the drill to make friends anyway.

Pros (declining a scholarship or not getting one):

+ I have nothing left to worry about here.

Cons (I accept the scholarship):

- I have to join marching band and the pep band.

- Which makes me unhappy.

- Which takes time away from studies. A LOT of time.

- Which forces people to deal with my lack of balance. I can't even do a proper first step without being close to falling over.

- Which forces people to deal with my lack of breath. I practically have asthma attacks every rehearsal. Without the asthma part though. (or maybe I DO have some mild asthma)

-- Which forces me to take trips everywhere, and I cannot trust myself to be responsible at these places. I could get lost, beaten up, mugged, maybe raped even. This is a double con because of its potential danger.

-? Each chance I have at making friends I also have at making enemies. This is magnified in marching band due to the factors above, and due to the fact that I will most likely run out of patience. Irrelevant for now, but if the friends pro above turns relevant then so does this con.

- It forces people to deal with me bumping into them.

Cons (declining a scholarship or not getting one):

-I will feel guilty if I turn it down, and I will feel like I didn't try hard enough if I don't get one.

Okay, I'm burnt out for now. Let's see, for accepting a scholarship that makes

2 pros,

8 cons,

and 3 irrelevents (2 supposed pros and 1 supposed con).

For not accepting the scholarship or not getting one, that makes

1 pro

1 con

Of course, this does not bear the magnitudes of each pro and con (except that one double con I did).

This does not bode well for the audition. If I do well at the audition and accept the scholarship, things will be worse and worry will consume me. If I decline the scholarship then I will feel guilty. If I do bad and I do not get the scholarship, I will feel like I didn't try hard enough.

Argh, why does this thing have to exist anyway? <_<

Congratulations on the achievements!!!

I have one bit of advice to consider. This is your life, NOT your father's. The marching band is something you hate and I am uncertain

why your father won't let go of this idea. You did it in high school to make him happy, now it is your turn to enjoy college. Your father

has to let go and let you live your life the way you choose and this means you are not a part of marching band. If the money is a really

big problem, then offer to get a student loan. Please do not get into marching band, I see no Pros for you at all.

As for meeting people, you will meet lots of great friends right there on campus. I believe your desire to focus on your studies, over

marching around on a football field, is a much better thinking. Please do not let your father make you feel guilty. You have done a really

great job throughout high school to get to where you are today. I say Congratulations on your achievements!!! You deserve to feel great!!!

*tosses that marching band idea into the garbage*

I have one bit of advice to consider. This is your life, NOT your father's. The marching band is something you hate and I am uncertain

why your father won't let go of this idea. You did it in high school to make him happy, now it is your turn to enjoy college. Your father

has to let go and let you live your life the way you choose and this means you are not a part of marching band. If the money is a really

big problem, then offer to get a student loan. Please do not get into marching band, I see no Pros for you at all.

As for meeting people, you will meet lots of great friends right there on campus. I believe your desire to focus on your studies, over

marching around on a football field, is a much better thinking. Please do not let your father make you feel guilty. You have done a really

great job throughout high school to get to where you are today. I say Congratulations on your achievements!!! You deserve to feel great!!!

Thank you for the advice & congrats. And I'll put the lid on that garbage can at breakfast today. Although I feel nervous about going against my dad's train of thought, but I have to...this isn't healthy for me.

Wish me luck. :)

Thank you for the advice & congrats. And I'll put the lid on that garbage can at breakfast today. Although I feel nervous about going against my dad's train of thought, but I have to...this isn't healthy for me.

Wish me luck. :)

Not only will I wish you luck, I will give you a big hug before and after. It is always tough going against a parent, but in this case, I do believe it is for your own benefit.

This will be tough and you will need to have some answers before you have your discussion. He, of course, will be concerned about money and scholarships, and you will have to be prepared to say that you are willing to try for a student loan. Also be prepared for the guilt trip. Some parents use that tactic.

*gives Jesse the biggest hug a hamster can give to a wolf*

Have a cherry micicles for good luck.

Not only will I wish you luck, I will give you a big hug before and after. It is always tough going against a parent, but in this case, I do believe it is for your own benefit.

This will be tough and you will need to have some answers before you have your discussion. He, of course, will be concerned about money and scholarships, and you will have to be prepared to say that you are willing to try for a student loan. Also be prepared for the guilt trip. Some parents use that tactic.

*slurps in the micicle* Don't have much to say in response, except thank you. :) I'll try my best.

*slurps in the micicle* Don't have much to say in response, except thank you. :) I'll try my best.

I know you will.

:blink: Wow. Jesse, you're amazing. And you worry too much. :) Remember that when you go to college, it's your own life, and you need to do what's right for you. Your grades are important, but going out and making friends is important too, and band is a great way to do that. How about this: try out for band, and go with it for a little while. If it stresses you too much, drop it. Much of college is seeing what things work for you and what doesn't. I found your comment about taking trips rather amusing. You have to learn to trust yourself. You're smart enough to get that much money in scholarships, you're smart enough to not get mugged (and you'll be with a group of people anyways). Seriously though, you're a brilliant kid, be proud of that, and have some confidence in that. When you're confident in yourself, others will be confident in you too. That said, you also need to be confident in your decisions. All you need to tell your dad is that you're not sure that you can handle that much work, and that you would like to have a life outside of academics and band, because that's probably just as important as the academics anyways. Don't worry about making enemies. In most cases, people won't become your enemies unless you do something to upset them on purpose, or if you do something blatantly obnoxious (pulling the fire alarm at 4am=enemies). And I can't see you doing something that would make people hate you like that. You will meet people that are similar to you in college, don't be afraid to talk to them. Like if you see someone playing your favorite video game in the lounge, don't be afraid to say, "I love this game!" Chances are, you'll start a conversation and/or be invited to play (accept the invitation). College is meant to break you out of your comfort zone. And don't feel guilty about turning down the band thing. If it's going to make you miserable, it's not worth it.

Marching band truly is one of those things you either love or hate. :D Personally, I love it, but I also understand very well how you'd hate it. I see no reason for people who don't like it to be in it though, so it's best off not to. ^.^ And, well, the whole friends thing depends on the band. Some bands hate their fellow members, others are really close. Don't know how it works, but it does. o_o

:blink: Wow. Jesse, you're amazing. And you worry too much. :) Remember that when you go to college, it's your own life, and you need to do what's right for you. Your grades are important, but going out and making friends is important too, and band is a great way to do that. How about this: try out for band, and go with it for a little while. If it stresses you too much, drop it. Much of college is seeing what things work for you and what doesn't. I found your comment about taking trips rather amusing. You have to learn to trust yourself. You're smart enough to get that much money in scholarships, you're smart enough to not get mugged (and you'll be with a group of people anyways). Seriously though, you're a brilliant kid, be proud of that, and have some confidence in that. When you're confident in yourself, others will be confident in you too. That said, you also need to be confident in your decisions. All you need to tell your dad is that you're not sure that you can handle that much work, and that you would like to have a life outside of academics and band, because that's probably just as important as the academics anyways. Don't worry about making enemies. In most cases, people won't become your enemies unless you do something to upset them on purpose, or if you do something blatantly obnoxious (pulling the fire alarm at 4am=enemies). And I can't see you doing something that would make people hate you like that. You will meet people that are similar to you in college, don't be afraid to talk to them. Like if you see someone playing your favorite video game in the lounge, don't be afraid to say, "I love this game!" Chances are, you'll start a conversation and/or be invited to play (accept the invitation). College is meant to break you out of your comfort zone. And don't feel guilty about turning down the band thing. If it's going to make you miserable, it's not worth it.

Bold part: I can't do that. Either I accept the scholarship, or I don't. Once I say yes and let myself get sucked into marching + pep band, I can't back out. Even if the obligation is for just one year, I know my parents, if not the college staff, will be like "well, you've done it for one year already, you might as well keep doing it." And it will get harder and harder to say no. If I'm going to make a decision I think it's best that I do it now, instead of trying to reverse things when I'm already in it.

The rest: thank you for the advice. Yes, I do worry too much. :P I guess I got that from my mom. I'll try to have confidence in myself and break out of my comfort zone. I wish I knew why I have such a big problem with being shy. It's like, saying the first thing to someone is the toughest. Maybe if I force myself to do that then eventually it will be easy to talk to that person. :unsure:

Bold part: I can't do that. Either I accept the scholarship, or I don't. Once I say yes and let myself get sucked into marching + pep band, I can't back out. Even if the obligation is for just one year, I know my parents, if not the college staff, will be like "well, you've done it for one year already, you might as well keep doing it." And it will get harder and harder to say no. If I'm going to make a decision I think it's best that I do it now, instead of trying to reverse things when I'm already in it.

The rest: thank you for the advice. Yes, I do worry too much. :P I guess I got that from my mom. I'll try to have confidence in myself and break out of my comfort zone. I wish I knew why I have such a big problem with being shy. It's like, saying the first thing to someone is the toughest. Maybe if I force myself to do that then eventually it will be easy to talk to that person. :unsure:

You are absolutely right. I do agree with you not to even try out for the scholarship. You will be hating it more than ever.

As for being shy, you will find a way out of that. You will have great roommates, friends you make in class and around the campus and other people you meet who will help you begin the conversation without really realizing it. I guarantee that you will have a most wonderful time at school and meet lots of really great people. Look at all the friends you have met at your new school. College is even easier. Once you find one friend, the rest will be beating down your door.

Shyness is a fear that can only be overcome with practice. I know from experience. Look for opportunities to say the first word. Like ask a classmate what the homework was or if they understood a confusing professor. Compliments are always good, especially if it's on something obscure (like a video game reference on a t-shirt). And once you're talking to someone, just ask questions. Stupid generic questions, like "what's your major?" or "so where are you from?" often work well. In lunch line, if you see someone obviously looking at some not-so-pleasant-looking meal suspiciously, you might say "What exactly is that supposed to be? o.O" (on that note, don't eat anything you can't identify without the label) Another word of advice: when you get to college, don't try to impress everyone. Let them get to know you just as you are, and like you for who you are. That way your friends will be genuine.

Other advice:-EVERYTHING can be cooked in a microwave (To cook ramen in the microwave, put the noodles in a large glass bow (I use a giant measuring cup), and fill the bowl with just enough water to cover the noodles. Microwave for 5 minutes. Stir in the flavoring. It's faster that way)

-Except metal. Never cook metal (or anything that contains metal) in the microwave.

-watch your popcorn while it's cooking. If someone doesn't steal it, it will catch on fire

-The showers are less crowded at 1am

-Friday afternoon is the best time to do laundry if half the people on campus go home on weekends

-laundry rooms are quiet, and often good places to do homework

-The lounge on your floor is always empty, unless there's a game on (if your lounge has a TV) or unless it's finals week (because it becomes a study lounge)

-The acoustics in some hallways are really good, so extra effort is needed to be quiet at night

-Yes, drunk people do walk into unlocked rooms (and have been known to use random objects as toilets)

-If you prop your door open, your friends will come visit, and strangers will comment on how your room is set up

-If you don't play video games, you will watch your friends play them

-You will rarely watch TV without the company of other people

-if your room mate's boyfriend is coming to visit from out of state, arrange to stay in a friend's room. Then return the favor.

-If your room mate is sleeping, try to be quiet.

-Things that suddenly become noisy when you're trying to sleep include paper, plastic bags, crunchy foods, computer sounds, cell phones on vibrate, etc.

-Pulling the fire alarm in a dorm building isn't funny, because it doesn't get you out of class. If you pull the alarm at 4am, people will want to kill you.

-Keep a blanket by your door at all times for fire drills

-keep a camera with you at all times.

-Share your food with your friends, and they will share with you. Eventually, food isn't something that can be owned, it's like community property.

-know what your friends are allergic to, and who has epi-pens, because campus security can't use them

-Try to upset as few people as possible

-Take a look at the syllabus and policy for each of your classes. Some classes drop you down a full letter grade if you miss class more than three times.

-sitting in front of class makes it easier to concentrate, and makes the teacher think you care. The teacher will notice if you miss class, but, if you're doing well in the class, they'll probably believe any excuse you give them.

-Getting the campus bed loft is over-priced. Build one yourself (let me know if you want the plans)

-Lofting your bed gives you lots of floor space, especially if you loft it high enough to put your desk under it.

-You will IM your friends, even if they live across the hall.

-more people you know have facebook than myspace

-You will discover how small the world really is.

-betta fish are easy to take care of

-Morning classes stink, but so do night classes. Late morning/early afternoon is better

-Your professors have email addresses. Take advantage of that.

-You can't have extention cords, but you can have power strips!

-Make friends with the kids in your classes, and get their SN's

-The education majors are more likely to enjoy helping with confusing material

-When working in big projects, don't be afraid to take a mental health break, but don't get distracted. Sign out of your im, post a message on your door telling people you're working.

-Bring your old yearbooks and photo albums. They're fun to look at with friends.

-Everyone loves sharpies and duct tape

-There's lots of free stuff on campus, take advantage of that, because everything that costs money on campus is overpriced.

-If your mom calls you constantly, have her email you instead. And be sure to answer her emails.

-Having a small tool kit (and knowing how to use it) is good

-Bring both cold weather and warm weather pajamas when you first move in. Some buildings are over-heated, and some aren't.

-If you don't fall out of bed at normal height, you probably won't fall out of it at lofted height either. However, if you do fall out of a lofted bed, it sucks.

-Don't get too stressed over a bad grade. Just do better next time.

-Get a good pair of headphones.

-Watching drunk people (while being sober) is more fun than being one of the drunk people.

-Yes, there are people on campus that don't drink.

-EVERYTHING can be cooked in a microwave

*gets Jesusfreak to write a cookbook titled: EVERYTHING can be cooked in a microwave, then markets it for her*

*feels smart that I knew facebook was started by and is mainly for college kids*

*looks at my overabundance of sharpies and duct tape*

*gets Jesusfreak to write a cookbook titled: EVERYTHING can be cooked in a microwave, then markets it for her*

*feels smart that I knew facebook was started by and is mainly for college kids*

*steals some of said sharpies and duct tape*

*steals some of said sharpies and duct tape*

*laughs because Cheesemaster took the boring color sharpies*

lol :P It used to be only for college kids, but then they changed it. (Facebook is better than myspace :rolleyes: )

lol :P It used to be only for college kids, but then they changed it. (Facebook is better than myspace :rolleyes: )

Well, most of my friends have myspace, and none have a facebook as far as I know.

Well, most of my friends have myspace, and none have a facebook as far as I know.

Possibly because you are not yet in college.

Okay, well, I talked to my parents, and I've decided to go for the audition. Why? There were a few factors but basically: I don't know. No one in our house knows what college marching band is like. And if the differences between high school and college apply to marching band, then chances are marching band will be more enjoyable as well as the other aspects of college. (my mom says she will try to withdraw me if it is too much.)

Also if I get 3,000 dollars then that means I'm basically earning 300 dollars a month for doing marching band, which is nice. It will be my "job" along with my work study program.

However, I have also realized that this scholarship is also based on financial need, which doesn't really apply to our family. So this essentially reduces the amount I will receive.

We'll see what happens. If it is $2000 or more I'll take it right away. If it is lower then I will talk with my parents about it. My mom seems to be of the opinion that it won't be worth it if it is $1000 or lower.

Okay, well, I talked to my parents, and I've decided to go for the audition. Why? There were a few factors but basically: I don't know. No one in our house knows what college marching band is like. And if the differences between high school and college apply to marching band, then chances are marching band will be more enjoyable as well as the other aspects of college. (my mom says she will try to withdraw me if it is too much.)

Also if I get 3,000 dollars then that means I'm basically earning 300 dollars a month for doing marching band, which is nice. It will be my "job" along with my work study program.

However, I have also realized that this scholarship is also based on financial need, which doesn't really apply to our family. So this essentially reduces the amount I will receive.

We'll see what happens. If it is $2000 or more I'll take it right away. If it is lower then I will talk with my parents about it. My mom seems to be of the opinion that it won't be worth it if it is $1000 or lower.

Please end up doing what works best for you. Remember, if you audition and receive a scholarship, then somewhere into the season, quit, you need to know how much of the money you are responsible to return and repay. This is a good question to know up front.

Glad you talked with your parents. Hopefully your father did not get too upset.

Sounds like a plan. :)

Please end up doing what works best for you. Remember, if you audition and receive a scholarship, then somewhere into the season, quit, you need to know how much of the money you are responsible to return and repay. This is a good question to know up front.

No, he did not get upset, he kind of understood where I was coming from. A lot of my feelings about getting sucked into marching band etc. were really preconceived notions, which I shouldn't use as the basis of making decisions. Also he said that a student loan is too risky because it accumulates interest over time, and you have to use something as collateral which in this case would be our house. Kind of scary. :blink: When it comes down to it, I'm content with earning myself 200-300 bucks a month for being in marching band (if I get that much money) without getting mixed up in something else to get the money.

No, he did not get upset, he kind of understood where I was coming from. A lot of my feelings about getting sucked into marching band etc. were really preconceived notions, which I shouldn't use as the basis of making decisions. Also he said that a student loan is too risky because it accumulates interest over time, and you have to use something as collateral which in this case would be our house. Kind of scary. :blink: When it comes down to it, I'm content with earning myself 200-300 bucks a month for being in marching band (if I get that much money) without getting mixed up in something else to get the money.

I thought that there were some loans that the student could apply for, that required no collateral. You would be obligated to repay the loan once you graduated. I appreciate you letting me know about the fact that the need collateral. I didn't know that.

I thought that there were some loans that the student could apply for, that required no collateral. You would be obligated to repay the loan once you graduated. I appreciate you letting me know about the fact that the need collateral. I didn't know that.

Unless you're a super genius (or not white, or both) and get a full ride scholarship, there will always be loans involved, and yes, they accumulate interest. You'll probably be paying them off until you're 40. It's no fun but that's the way it is.

Unless you're a super genius (or not white, or both) and get a full ride scholarship, there will always be loans involved, and yes, they accumulate interest. You'll probably be paying them off until you're 40. It's no fun but that's the way it is.

If you can find a loan that does not accumulate interest, then you will have lots of borrowers. It was my understanding that some of the school loans had a lower interest rate and you did not have to begin paying until you graduated or stopped attending school.

And actually, there are lots and lots of grants and loans that most schools will never tell you about. There is a way to get the school to disclose all available monies, but unless pressured, they never like to part with it. The longer the money stays in their account, the more interest it accrues. Eventually they are loaning just the accrued interest.

If you can find a loan that does not accumulate interest, then you will have lots of borrowers. It was my understanding that some of the school loans had a lower interest rate and you did not have to begin paying until you graduated or stopped attending school.

And actually, there are lots and lots of grants and loans that most schools will never tell you about. There is a way to get the school to disclose all available monies, but unless pressured, they never like to part with it. The longer the money stays in their account, the more interest it accrues. Eventually they are loaning just the accrued interest.

Yup. Most student loans work like that (where you don't start paying until you stop attending).

Apparently the concert band is only for the spring semester. So I think I might join marching band anyway. :) My audition is on Sunday..wish me luck!

hope know that you will do fine, especially if you do your best. Which I know you will. xD

Well I just came back from it. I think I did well, the director seemed to be pleased and he is looking forward to having me in band. I'm definitely doing marching band and pep band, and having a discussion with him after the audition was encouraging. I kind of stumbled on the first prepared piece in some places, but I roared through the second one. And the sight reading was fun. And I didn't have to do any scales. I guess he just didn't think about those?

Oh yeah, my sister in law is now in labor and being taken to the hospital; I may have a new nephew today... ^_^

Well I just came back from it. I think I did well, the director seemed to be pleased and he is looking forward to having me in band. I'm definitely doing marching band and pep band, and having a discussion with him after the audition was encouraging. I kind of stumbled on the first prepared piece in some places, but I roared through the second one. And the sight reading was fun. And I didn't have to do any scales. I guess he just didn't think about those?

Oh yeah, my sister in law is now in labor and being taken to the hospital; I may have a new nephew today... ^_^

Uncle Jesse!!!!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uncle Jesse!!!!!!!!

I am reminded of the Dukes of Hazzard. xD

Congrats on the possible nephew(or possibly neice) ^.^

Uncle Jesse!!!!!!!!

Uncle Jesse!!!!!

Uncle Jesse!!!!!!!!

Uncle Jesse!!!!!

Calm down! I've already been an uncle for 5 years, with a nephew and a niece. :)

My second nephew was indeed born yesterday. His name's Aden. :D I can't find the time to visit the hospital with school going on full force and all, but they're going to come and visit in the near future.