Hampsterdance Discussion Board

Is anyone familiar with various Drum Corps?

Had to rewatch some old Drum Corps competitions for remeber my favorites. (: Phantom Regiment and The Cavaliers are possibly the best.

Those guys are pretty awesome. You should watch Blast! sometime.

6 of the Blue Devils(#3 in the country this year, rather than #1 as usual) came to my high school to help the band last week. One of our former band directors has a son in BD and that's how they heard about us not having a teacher. XD

Oh, and since a couple of them happen to live nearby I think we'll be seeing those guys still. Maybe.

Had to rewatch some old Drum Corps competitions for remeber my favorites. (: Phantom Regiment and The Cavaliers are possibly the best.

6 of the Blue Devils(#3 in the country this year, rather than #1 as usual) came to my high school to help the band last week. One of our former band directors has a son in BD and that's how they heard about us not having a teacher. XD

Oh, and since a couple of them happen to live nearby I think we'll be seeing those guys still. Maybe.

Cool!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Haha. That's pretty cool. My band director's nephew was a member of the Blue Devils. Once he turned 22, though, he was out of there. xD

I'll actually be seeing the the Blue Devils and The Cavaliers next Saturday at a big Missouri marching band competitions. I'm pretty excited, but not really about actually preforming. We're playing an altered version (for street marching purposes) of Greased Lighting, and our marching is horrible. 5th place, here we come!

Haha. That's pretty cool. My band director's nephew was a member of the Blue Devils. Once he turned 22, though, he was out of there. xD

I'll actually be seeing the the Blue Devils and The Cavaliers next Saturday at a big Missouri marching band competitions. I'm pretty excited, but not really about actually preforming. We're playing an altered version (for street marching purposes) of Greased Lighting, and our marching is horrible. 5th place, here we come!

Heh, don't you love it how quickly people age out of BD?

Sweet, BD and The Cavaliers! Man, those guys rock.

Would you really want to see some 57 year old man in BD????? :o

I must take pictures. Which, I normally say I will take pictures, but never do. There's no room in my uniform. D: It's all hot and ichy, none of the less do I need a big honkin' camera in there too.

Haha. If I do bring a camera though, I'll have to take a picture of Dylan. The 60-pound, 4'11" bass drummer!

Yesterday was the Practice-a-thon. 9 long hours of practicing with the guys from BD. 3 of them come almost every practice and then some different ones come some days. I watched the one person who came in to teach the color guard, it's so cool watching her with the sabre. She mostly taught our guard captain new stuff. So anyways, with our lack of a teacher we still are apparently further along than we were last year because of the terrible teacher. I don't know much about that since I'm only a freshman. Anyways, moving right along. Every time we make mistakes we have to drop down and do 10 push-ups. It was terrible yesterday. Trumpets haven't been doing so well. And I feel terrible about myself because apparently I'm pretty bad at marching. But they're always confusing us!

"Horns are paralell here!"

Five minutes later, while working in the same spot, someone else tells us,

"Horns are supposed to be up towards the box!"

So yeah. And then I'm constantly scolded for not getting things right. I have no clue how many push-ups I did yesterday, but I know it was a lot. One of the guys said to one of the other trumpets and I, "You're capable of doing things right, you're just being lazy," because we did a lot better after he corrected us on something. My timing gets off because of the darned metronome, it's so much harder to focus on the drummajor when theres this loud beeping helping them keep in time when the sound is getting to my ears later. Then I also get blamed for other peoples' mistakes since they're stopping when they shouldn't be and I end up running into them. So yeah, during one long water break I participated in self punishment. 100 sit-ups on my own and then I only had time to do 30 extra push-ups for myself.

I really feel that I need to get better. One of my freinds, a clarinet, is always acting like everything is so easy. The brass seems to be the only section with problems. But yesterday was especially bad because two of our baritones ditched. They obviously weren't sick because they are the type of guys to ditch.

Yesterday was the Practice-a-thon. 9 long hours of practicing with the guys from BD. 3 of them come almost every practice and then some different ones come some days. I watched the one person who came in to teach the color guard, it's so cool watching her with the sabre. She mostly taught our guard captain new stuff. So anyways, with our lack of a teacher we still are apparently further along than we were last year because of the terrible teacher. I don't know much about that since I'm only a freshman. Anyways, moving right along. Every time we make mistakes we have to drop down and do 10 push-ups. It was terrible yesterday. Trumpets haven't been doing so well. And I feel terrible about myself because apparently I'm pretty bad at marching. But they're always confusing us!

So yeah. And then I'm constantly scolded for not getting things right. I have no clue how many push-ups I did yesterday, but I know it was a lot. One of the guys said to one of the other trumpets and I, "You're capable of doing things right, you're just being lazy," because we did a lot better after he corrected us on something. My timing gets off because of the darned metronome, it's so much harder to focus on the drummajor when theres this loud beeping helping them keep in time when the sound is getting to my ears later. Then I also get blamed for other peoples' mistakes since they're stopping when they shouldn't be and I end up running into them. So yeah, during one long water break I participated in self punishment. 100 sit-ups on my own and then I only had time to do 30 extra push-ups for myself.

I really feel that I need to get better. One of my freinds, a clarinet, is always acting like everything is so easy. The brass seems to be the only section with problems. But yesterday was especially bad because two of our baritones ditched. They obviously weren't sick because they are the type of guys to ditch.

Please don't be hard on yourself. There will be good days and bad days. They usually say that before a phenomenal concert you have an absolutely rotten practice. All you can do is do your personal best and then smile. I am totally certain that you have given more than 100%, more like 1000%!

-sigh- Yeah, I didn't get to see BD and the Cavaliers. Obviously, since they were with you. LOL. It was one of those "tricks" my band director likes to play on us. It was pretty mean, though. :/

I actually think the brass are the best marchers in my band. The trombones, specifically. I'm not sure why. John and Weston are hilarious, and whenever we march during Born to Hand Jive, they high-step really fast. I wish I had those skills.

Don't worry though, I totally understand, my pivots are terrible! I'm afraid to see what our score was tomorrow ... EEeee. Good luck though, I'm sure we'll both improve by the end of the season. (:

I would've sworn you must have been from the same school as me when I read some of that stuff. :wacko: I know exactly how that stuff goes...getting contrary directions barked at you, seeing different tempos than you hear...it's so confusing. It's annoying to me, too. I'm basically a freshman in the band as well because although I marched in my old town, it was only marching fowards to do parades, whereas here we actually put on shows at competitions and walk sideways and backwards and stuff.

And then I have the problem where I can't keep balance. Whenever I pivot off of my right foot to turn, I feel like I'm going to fall over and I can't take a good first step (the most important step there is) into the next set. And when I walk backwards, you're supposed to not bend your legs at all, and that makes me all jittery and I can't play well because of balance problems. Which is kind of ironic because not bending your legs is supposed to help not make you bounce - it just makes it worse for me. :rolleyes: My feet are built weird and they're so used to pointing outwards, which is probably a main factor to the problem.

ANYWAY...to answer the topic title, yes I am familiar with some...I saw a tape in band class from a competition showing the blue devils and the green machine. And some other guys I can't remember. Both of those shows were remarkable though.

BTW how is your band doing? Have you competed yet? What kind of scores do you get? I'm in a class 5 band and we got 68.8 as our most recent score...which our teacher wasn't too pleased with but it wasn't that bad either.

-sigh- Yeah, I didn't get to see BD and the Cavaliers. Obviously, since they were with you. LOL. It was one of those "tricks" my band director likes to play on us. It was pretty mean, though. :/

I actually think the brass are the best marchers in my band. The trombones, specifically. I'm not sure why. John and Weston are hilarious, and whenever we march during Born to Hand Jive, they high-step really fast. I wish I had those skills.

Don't worry though, I totally understand, my pivots are terrible! I'm afraid to see what our score was tomorrow ... EEeee. Good luck though, I'm sure we'll both improve by the end of the season. (:

That is pretty mean. :wacko:

Yeah, well, we have a major problem now. Two of our 4 baritones quit and our 1 trombone quit. So yeah. For football games we can't really play The Chicken Dance because we're kinda missing the gliss. We have huge gaps that we need to fix in our drill now, since the 3 of them are in basically the same area.

To both Toto and Jesse, yeah I have problems with tripping on myself too. I know I'm not the worst in the band, but still. I gotta do my best to keep high standards. My pivots stink, too. So what style marching do you guys do? We do straight-legged.

As for comps, our first one is in two weeks. At this point in time, we're totally not ready.

One more thing. What are your shows? Ours is Quidam from Cirque Du Soleil.

Yeah, well, we have a major problem now. Two of our 4 baritones quit and our 1 trombone quit. So yeah. For football games we can't really play The Chicken Dance because we're kinda missing the gliss. We have huge gaps that we need to fix in our drill now, since the 3 of them are in basically the same area.

To both Toto and Jesse, yeah I have problems with tripping on myself too. I know I'm not the worst in the band, but still. I gotta do my best to keep high standards. My pivots stink, too. So what style marching do you guys do? We do straight-legged.

As for comps, our first one is in two weeks. At this point in time, we're totally not ready.

LOL. I trip over my jeans while we're practicing. (One pair of jeans, specifically.) But my marching pants are sooo short, they don't even affect me. My mom's car broke down when we were supposed to try uniforms on, so I didn't make it to that. My band director found one uniform, though, the pants fit in the waist, but are too short. The jacket it wayy to big everywhere, and the sleeves are too short. Mr. G put it this way, "Those uniforms came from a time where the 'slender' people were short, and the tall people were bigger. You just just got a mix of the both." Haha. I'm not complaining, though.

We just do the regular street marching style, bending our knees and all. :}

"The [instert town here] High School will be playing pieces from the hit movie Grease. Please, a round of applause ..."

Yeah. :/ We play Grease.

"Cirque du soleil" means "circle of the sun". In case you were wondering. :P

I'm not aware of the styles of marching. I guess we do straight-legged because they say not to bend the knees. Our show is Channel One Suite.

I just did a competition last night and I'm going to another one today. :wacko:

"Cirque du soleil" means "circle of the sun". In case you were wondering. :P

I'm not aware of the styles of marching. I guess we do straight-legged because they say not to bend the knees. Our show is Channel One Suite.

I just did a competition last night and I'm going to another one today. :wacko:

You will be tired tonight! Good luck!

Umm... Friday, I think I'm going to the Jr. High to go encourage people to join band. On Saturday, it's our first competition. SCSBOA(Southern California School Band and Orchestra Association or something like that). So there aren't going to be judges directly on the field. But yeah. We're totally not ready. Atmadja has getting into place problems. Ninkou Latora has timing problems. Quidam, well, we haven't worked on it alot but it's our easiest drill.

And to Jesse: Well, then yeah. You have the same style marching as me. Like, for football, sometimes I watch it just to see the marching bands. Many don't bend the knees, but a lot of people are familiar with bent knees. I can't think of many bent-knee marchers, but yeah, they exist. XD

I'm a gonna look up your show.

• 1 month later...

Mkay, so I know this died, but I still gotta put up band updates.

So yeah, last year band didn't even hit the 70 point mark. So yeah. Last saturday we got a 70.1. The one before that was a 64-ish, and the one before was a 63-ish. So yeah, I'm psyched. We may not be the best band, but we sure get excited over 70 points even with the 6th place. This weekend is the comp @ RCC, then we go on to State Finals(where we'll hopefully get past the prelims) at Fresno for a two night thing next Friday. So not only do I have this Friday off, I get to practice during school hours all day and then go to Fresno the next Friday.

By the way, our helpers may be good marchers, but they sometimes come to practice with hangovers. XD

Mkay, so I know this died, but I still gotta put up band updates.

So yeah, last year band didn't even hit the 70 point mark. So yeah. Last saturday we got a 70.1. The one before that was a 64-ish, and the one before was a 63-ish. So yeah, I'm psyched. We may not be the best band, but we sure get excited over 70 points even with the 6th place. This weekend is the comp @ RCC, then we go on to State Finals(where we'll hopefully get past the prelims) at Fresno for a two night thing next Friday. So not only do I have this Friday off, I get to practice during school hours all day and then go to Fresno the next Friday.

By the way, our helpers may be good marchers, but they sometimes come to practice with hangovers. XD

*crosses paws for Mega Wolf's band*

Good luck and I hope you have a superb competition!!!

Please let us know what happens.

Marching season is almost over for my school ... just one more parade next week.

Two weeks ago, I was totally shocked to find out that we got second place, with 87.6 points. (We're in the 4-A category.) It was pouring while we were marching, and the streets were terrible. Our plumes were in and everything. The aftermath of the uniforms wasn't that great, either. Everyone had mold on their gloves, and mildew on the hats. 'Cept for me, I have no idea why. It was probably because I put my gloves in with my uniform, rather than put them in my hat box.

Nasty stuff, man.

Marching season is almost over for my school ... just one more parade next week.

Two weeks ago, I was totally shocked to find out that we got second place, with 87.6 points. (We're in the 4-A category.) It was pouring while we were marching, and the streets were terrible. Our plumes were in and everything. The aftermath of the uniforms wasn't that great, either. Everyone had mold on their gloves, and mildew on the hats. 'Cept for me, I have no idea why. It was probably because I put my gloves in with my uniform, rather than put them in my hat box.

Nasty stuff, man.

Sounds like your band did phenomenal!!! Glad to hear you didn't have to put up with the mold and mildew.

Nasty stuff, man.

Wow, my band is only 2-A. I do know the scoring for 2-A is generally around 60-mid80ish. What's 4-A scoring like? I know that 3-A is generally higher scored than 2-A... Anyways, State is Saturday(leave on Friday) and our last comp was kinda bad.

Nasty stuff, man.

Wow, my band is only 2-A. I do know the scoring for 2-A is generally around 60-mid80ish. What's 4-A scoring like? I know that 3-A is generally higher scored than 2-A... Anyways, State is Saturday(leave on Friday) and our last comp was kinda bad.

I am positive your band with be stupendously stellar this Saturday!

Good luck!!!

We scored 76, up 22 points from the start of the season. We got 9th out of 15 2-A bands. Suprisingly, we got 2nd place in overall music and 1st place in individual music. Imagine the faces of people had we gotten 1st place in overall music therefore getting the caption award for it. :lol: "We got beat in music by a 9th place band?!" Independence is just too rich for us though. XD

We scored 76, up 22 points from the start of the season. We got 9th out of 15 2-A bands. Suprisingly, we got 2nd place in overall music and 1st place in individual music. Imagine the faces of people had we gotten 1st place in overall music therefore getting the caption award for it. :lol: "We got beat in music by a 9th place band?!" Independence is just too rich for us though. XD

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

How fantastic! Your band did great. That must have been tough being beaten by a 9th place band in overall music, but you still came in second!!! A first in individual music is a great achievement! Yeah to you all!!!

Nasty stuff, man.

Maybe they categorize differently is different states? We have about 100 actual members.

Well, 4-A is the largest category in MO. The scoring in normally pretty high, since it's such a large group. Normally the 80s and 90s. 5-A is the highest here, and normally there are only two schools, and they're in the 80s. :/

Nasty stuff, man.

Maybe they categorize differently is different states? We have about 100 actual members.

Well, 4-A is the largest category in MO. The scoring in normally pretty high, since it's such a large group. Normally the 80s and 90s. 5-A is the highest here, and normally there are only two schools, and they're in the 80s. :/

100 members marching around on a field is still a big number to organize!!!

Nasty stuff, man.

I actually think we have a bit less than 100, maybe 95 or so. Once you hit past the 100 mark, you're in the 5-A category.

Nasty stuff, man.

I actually think we have a bit less than 100, maybe 95 or so. Once you hit past the 100 mark, you're in the 5-A category.

Give or take five is a moot point when it comes to producing a marching band routine. LOL I don't think I could organize ten people to march without running into each other.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

How fantastic! Your band did great. That must have been tough being beaten by a 9th place band in overall music, but you still came in second!!! A first in individual music is a great achievement! Yeah to you all!!!

No, we're the 9th place band. XD We got second, next to the 1st place band. It was pretty awesome.

Nasty stuff, man.

Well, the biggest I've seen was 6-A. O_o Now THOSE are crazy huge. There's so many large rich schools in California, and there's a band that's so rich it changes uniforms based on their show every year and they have all matching instruments. Somewhat irritating to schools like mine who don't have a lot of money, or at least act like it. XD

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

No, we're the 9th place band. XD We got second, next to the 1st place band. It was pretty awesome.

Oops. So I am guilty of reading what I want to read! The second place in over all music, is great and the first place in individual music is superb!!! You still did fantastic as far as I am concerned!!!

As for the bands that change their uniforms every year... I agree with you. Matching instruments? I do not believe I would have ever noticed that the instruments didn't match.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Oops. So I am guilty of reading what I want to read! The second place in over all music, is great and the first place in individual music is superb!!! You still did fantastic as far as I am concerned!!!

As for the bands that change their uniforms every year... I agree with you. Matching instruments? I do not believe I would have ever noticed that the instruments didn't match.

Yeah, like the band that had changing uniforms had pirate uniforms, and it was really cool but it made me kinda mad that it was only a one-year thing. Like, always changing these uniforms that cost so much? Our uniforms cost around $800, so we can't really afford to replace them. And we're working towards matching instruments, but currently I don't think we have enough money for it. We're going for quality instruments if they match, the only reason to get matching instruments for us is for quality control so that people don't have cheap intruments that sound bad.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Yeah, like the band that had changing uniforms had pirate uniforms, and it was really cool but it made me kinda mad that it was only a one-year thing. Like, always changing these uniforms that cost so much? Our uniforms cost around $800, so we can't really afford to replace them. And we're working towards matching instruments, but currently I don't think we have enough money for it. We're going for quality instruments if they match, the only reason to get matching instruments for us is for quality control so that people don't have cheap intruments that sound bad.

I hadn't thought of the instruments and quality control. But it makes total sense.

$800 for a uniform?????? Oh my! I had no idea they cost so much. Hopefully the parents do not have any of this expense. Besides... isn't this what the state lottery monies are for? :rolleyes: I cannot imagine wearing an expensive uniform only once. That is almost criminal.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

$800 each or total?

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

$800 each or total?

Well, $800 each. Actually, it's more like 400-800 a piece, but it depends on the uniform type/company/etc. The schools that replace their uniforms each year are private or Catholic schools. :rolleyes: We're getting new uniforms(we're gonna have a selection committee of about 8 people), but that's because our uniforms are fairly old, made of wool, hard to clean, and expensive to clean. So these new uniforms we're going to be able to take home and clean on our own instead of having them spend $1000 on dry-cleaning.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

$800 each or total?

Well, $800 each. Actually, it's more like 400-800 a piece, but it depends on the uniform type/company/etc. The schools that replace their uniforms each year are private or Catholic schools. :rolleyes: We're getting new uniforms(we're gonna have a selection committee of about 8 people), but that's because our uniforms are fairly old, made of wool, hard to clean, and expensive to clean. So these new uniforms we're going to be able to take home and clean on our own instead of having them spend $1000 on dry-cleaning.

I came up with an idea for your school. When it comes to the dry cleaning, why doesn't your school offer a local dry cleaner a deal. Free advertising announced at the game, if the dry cleaner would do your uniforms at either a reduced rate or free. The exchange would be determined by a couple of factors... how many times they were cleaned in a season, how involved it was to press the uniforms (this is where the cost is) and of course, you have already said how many uniforms there are. My suggestion would be to take a uniform to the local dry cleaner, not a chain, but an individual owner/operator, and then try and work out a deal. If the dry cleaner knew you were going to make an announcement at the game that he was the school dry cleaner, thanking him for his services and/or the company was listed in the book they hand out at the games, I do believe it would save you a bunch of money.

• 3 weeks later...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

$800 each or total?

I came up with an idea for your school. When it comes to the dry cleaning, why doesn't your school offer a local dry cleaner a deal. Free advertising announced at the game, if the dry cleaner would do your uniforms at either a reduced rate or free. The exchange would be determined by a couple of factors... how many times they were cleaned in a season, how involved it was to press the uniforms (this is where the cost is) and of course, you have already said how many uniforms there are. My suggestion would be to take a uniform to the local dry cleaner, not a chain, but an individual owner/operator, and then try and work out a deal. If the dry cleaner knew you were going to make an announcement at the game that he was the school dry cleaner, thanking him for his services and/or the company was listed in the book they hand out at the games, I do believe it would save you a bunch of money.

Well, we spend about $1000 a year on dry-cleaning, and there's a lot of local places that might take us. I think that is a good deal, but I think we're also getting new uniforms because it gets harder each year to clean them. So eventually it'd probably be better to get new uniforms anyways. Wool is really bad for hot competitions anyways. XD

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

$800 each or total?

Well, we spend about $1000 a year on dry-cleaning, and there's a lot of local places that might take us. I think that is a good deal, but I think we're also getting new uniforms because it gets harder each year to clean them. So eventually it'd probably be better to get new uniforms anyways. Wool is really bad for hot competitions anyways. XD

Wool can be very light and a more breathable material than polyester, rayon or the like.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

$800 each or total?

Wool can be very light and a more breathable material than polyester, rayon or the like.

Can be, but we have really thick wool. o_o

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

$800 each or total?

Can be, but we have really thick wool. o_o

Oh... :(

I hadn't mentioned this before. My brother tried out for BD, but he didn't make it. They said his marching was good. But he messed up on music cuz he was nervous. On a brighter note, I know several people who made it into BD. Had my brother and his friend made it, it would have been super cool, but that's okay. ^.^

Okay..Blue Devils are awesome....but my favorite is the CADETS!! WHOO HOO!! i love them. The Cavilars are great too!! i got to see a DCI Comp. this past summer up in ATL! wow was it awesome or what! haha..

btw..im probally one of the BIGGEST band geeks you'll meet! seriously..&& i play FLUTE!!!! :D

post-8368-1167529783_thumb.jpg

Okay..Blue Devils are awesome....but my favorite is the CADETS!! WHOO HOO!! i love them. The Cavilars are great too!! i got to see a DCI Comp. this past summer up in ATL! wow was it awesome or what! haha..

btw..im probally one of the BIGGEST band geeks you'll meet! seriously..&& i play FLUTE!!!! :D

Welcome to HampsterDance Boards. You are among other super BIG band geeks! :D

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

$800 each or total?

:( we need new uniforms..it really stinks [[not literally..well..sometimes..lol]] but they are about $500 each..but w.e.

wool is VERY heavy...'specially if you are marching down River Street [[in southern GA]] with it all being concrete and its about 80 degrees outside and the water is adding more heat...man...it feels like an Oven in our uniforms..haha

My life is band. :\ I love it. I play trumpet. BD is my favorite corp, probably because I'm exposed to it so much and they just rock.

Hey! A new member! Glad to see you. ^.^ If you need any help, just click on the link in my sig. =D However, you seem to have it down pretty well.