Hampsterdance Discussion Board

HORATIOOOO.

Just a little bit ago, I went over to check on my mom's hamsters. To find that one of them had a large gash in the middle of his back. It's not bleeding or anything, it just looked extremely odd.

Figuring that she just hadn't cleaned the cages in awhile, and his skin got irritated, I started to clean his cage for her. While cleaning, I took a closer look at the gash, when I saw little bugs crawling in it. I'm guessing they're mites, but I don't know what to do about them or his pain. Please help. I feel sorry for this poor little guy,

Just a little bit ago, I went over to check on my mom's hamsters. To find that one of them had a large gash in the middle of his back. It's not bleeding or anything, it just looked extremely odd.

Figuring that she just hadn't cleaned the cages in awhile, and his skin got irritated, I started to clean his cage for her. While cleaning, I took a closer look at the gash, when I saw little bugs crawling in it. I'm guessing they're mites, but I don't know what to do about them or his pain. Please help. I feel sorry for this poor little guy,

I do not know if you will be able to hold him while you do this, but if you can, get some hydrogen peroxide (it won't hurt him) and try and pour a little bit on the gash. If someone can help you, get a hand towel or two and try and keep him from biting you, because he will be scared. Pour the hydrogen peroxide on him a few times until it stops bubbling or the best you can. Get some Neosporin, if you have some in the house, and then put the Neosporin on the gash. The Neosporin is okay for use on hamsters. I will try and think of anything else I can in the meantime. Let me know if you have these in the house.

TOTOOOOOOOOOOOO...

How's your hammie? :huh:

Please return and let me know.

I woke my veterinarian up at home and he agreed with my suggestion to you. He also suggested you take him to your family veterinarian tomorrow. But he will tell me what to do if you do not take your hammie to the vet's office.

Sorry for taking so long to get back. And thank you for the advice.

Last night my dad put a small amount of some mite treatment for dog's ears. I can't see anymore mites crawling around. Do you still suggest putting on the peroxide and Neosporin, or more mite treatment?

I don't think our vet can do much. This little guy is only about 2 inches long, and last time we took our hamsters to him, he told us they were both females. And then the hamsters had babies. xD

Sorry for taking so long to get back. And thank you for the advice.

Last night my dad put a small amount of some mite treatment for dog's ears. I can't see anymore mites crawling around. Do you still suggest putting on the peroxide and Neosporin, or more mite treatment?

I don't think our vet can do much. This little guy is only about 2 inches long, and last time we took our hamsters to him, he told us they were both females. And then the hamsters had babies. xD

Yes.

The vet suggested putting on the hydrogen peroxide to clean out the gash and then neosporin to keep the gash clean and speed healing. Just getting out the mites is not enough to get rid of the infection. You will not see mite eggs and more will just appear. In addition you could kill your hamster with the mite treatment. That mite treatment is based on the weight of the dog and all you need is one tiny pinhead drop on the back of the neck and then NOT again for two weeks. (This is if you are using something like the mite treatment Revolution.)

As for your vet not being able to tell the difference between a male and a female, it is really hard until you learn exactly what to look for. It took me a while to remember which was which, but I could always separate them correctly. :lol:

Get one of your parents to help you hold your hammie with a towel and make sure the hydrogen peroxide does not get into his ears or eyes. If you have an eyedropper, this is a perfect way to do this depending on exactly where the gash is. Also, a cotton ball will clean the area or tissue. After you do the hydrogen peroxide a few times and it does not seem like it is foaming any more or has really decreased, then put on the neosporin.

Then tomorrow all you need to do is check the neosporin and perhaps add a little bit.

Isn't Revolution for fleas? The stuff we used was for kittens and puppies, and you're supposed to use it everyday. I forget what it's called, though.

We put on the peroxide and neosporin last night. Hopefully the gash will go away. :/

And did I forget to mention that this is one of the roborovski hamsters? He's about two inches long, and we couldn't get him out of the cage.

Thanks again. (:

Isn't Revolution for fleas? The stuff we used was for kittens and puppies, and you're supposed to use it everyday. I forget what it's called, though.

We put on the peroxide and neosporin last night. Hopefully the gash will go away. :/

And did I forget to mention that this is one of the roborovski hamsters? He's about two inches long, and we couldn't get him out of the cage.

Thanks again. (:

Revolution is for fleas and mites and a variety of other bugs your animals don't want. I was just trying to let you know that the doses are determined by weight, so keep that in mind.

I told the veterinarian you did the peroxide and neosporin and he said to keep an eye on it and you might need to add some more neosporin a few more times to aid in healing. I am sure the gash will go away. Did you find what caused the gash? This is important so you do not have this happen again.

Also, please put up a pic of your roborovski hammies! I would love to see them.

Thanks again. (:

Revolution is for fleas and mites and a variety of other bugs your animals don't want. I was just trying to let you know that the doses are determined by weight, so keep that in mind.

I told the veterinarian you did the peroxide and neosporin and he said to keep an eye on it and you might need to add some more neosporin a few more times to aid in healing. I am sure the gash will go away. Did you find what caused the gash? This is important so you do not have this happen again.

Alright. Thank you.

I figured the mites caused the gash. Maybe they agitated him so much, he gnawed his own skin off. Dunno. I also don't know where the mites would have come from. Our dogs haven't had mites in a year, so I'm guessing that they might have been in the food. But the other hamster doesn't have them.

You have already seen them, silly. They were in the picture that I made for HK's birthday.

my guinea pigs had skin problems, and we used nizoral shampoo, that really helps.

That's what we use for my guinea pig too. Neeevvveerrrr buy animals from PetCo. PetCo is PetNo. She had about 2 billion problems. It was horrible how much money we had to spend to fix her up. But she was never completely healed. Inbreds. >_> She's turning five, and still going strong, though.

Thanks again. (:

Alright. Thank you.

I figured the mites caused the gash. Maybe they agitated him so much, he gnawed his own skin off. Dunno. I also don't know where the mites would have come from. Our dogs haven't had mites in a year, so I'm guessing that they might have been in the food. But the other hamster doesn't have them.

You have already seen them, silly. They were in the picture that I made for HK's birthday.

Where are the hammies cages located. Mites can live in the carpet. Although I would believe your other hammie will either get them or would have them if one hammie got them. I will have to ask about them causing the gash. Usually the hammies will rub their hair off or have small bites, but not a gash, so I will have to ask the vet.

You are so right, I did see the pics in the birthday card. I still have that birthday card pic on my computer. You did a great job with that!

my guinea pigs had skin problems, and we used nizoral shampoo, that really helps.

That's what we use for my guinea pig too. Neeevvveerrrr buy animals from PetCo. PetCo is PetNo. She had about 2 billion problems. It was horrible how much money we had to spend to fix her up. But she was never completely healed. Inbreds. >_> She's turning five, and still going strong, though.

Pet No! how correct you are!!!!!!

Thanks again. (:

Alright. Thank you.

Where are the hammies cages located. Mites can live in the carpet. Although I would believe your other hammie will either get them or would have them if one hammie got them. I will have to ask about them causing the gash. Usually the hammies will rub their hair off or have small bites, but not a gash, so I will have to ask the vet.

You are so right, I did see the pics in the birthday card. I still have that birthday card pic on my computer. You did a great job with that!

They're in the kitchen, where the floors are hardwood. And the hamsters are in separate cages, so that's why the other hamster probably wouldn't have them.

Would a hamster rub and stratch so much that his skin would come off in a large area, though, if the mites somehow got under his skin?

He's looking much better, though. Thank you for your advice. ^^

Thanks again. (:

Alright. Thank you.

They're in the kitchen, where the floors are hardwood. And the hamsters are in separate cages, so that's why the other hamster probably wouldn't have them.

Would a hamster rub and stratch so much that his skin would come off in a large area, though, if the mites somehow got under his skin?

Hardwood floors are wonderful. You don't have your hammies on the kitchen floor do you?

If a hamster has mites it will scratch and scratch and rub off the hair and possibly make the skin raw. If you think your hamster has mites, I will suggest a great product that comes from the pet store and is only around 4 or 5 dollars and does a great job.

In the meantime, keep the neosporin on the gash until it is almost completely healed.

Thanks again. (:

Alright. Thank you.

Hardwood floors are wonderful. You don't have your hammies on the kitchen floor do you?

If a hamster has mites it will scratch and scratch and rub off the hair and possibly make the skin raw. If you think your hamster has mites, I will suggest a great product that comes from the pet store and is only around 4 or 5 dollars and does a great job.

In the meantime, keep the neosporin on the gash until it is almost completely healed.

Haha. No, they're not on the kitchen floor. They're on a table that's in the kitchen.

Well, he had mites, but I'm pretty sure with the use of peroxide and neosporin, they're gone now.

Thanks again. (:

Alright. Thank you.

Haha. No, they're not on the kitchen floor. They're on a table that's in the kitchen.

Well, he had mites, but I'm pretty sure with the use of peroxide and neosporin, they're gone now.

I do apologize for asking, but someone here had their hamster's cage on the floor. I needed all the facts.

Actually the mites do not go away just like that. You need to clean out all of his bedding and really clean the cage. The mites lay eggs and in a couple of weeks, millions more pop up. Please clean the cage today. Next, pay attention to see if the hammie's are scratching. (The same scratching as if your dog has fleas.) If you see him scratching, then the mites are back.