Hampsterdance Discussion Board

Super Pet Critter Trail Outhouse

Has anyone had a negative experience with the Super Pet CritterTrail Outhouse designed for hamsters "to go potty in one specific area of their home" ??? One week after my husband and I placed this device in the cage of our one-year-old, male Syrian hamster, he died. Our hamster's eyes became puffy and swelled shut, he became lethargic, and developed an odd walk overnight. We are devastated and cannot help but wonder if the CritterTrail Outhouse is chock full of toxins. We have no children and are responsible adults who had assumed we were giving our hamster the best care. We understand that hamsters have short life spans, but cannot help but notice that he was doing fine until we introduced the Super Pet CritterTrail Outhouse into him. Many thanks for any information you can provide.

Has anyone had a negative experience with the Super Pet CritterTrail Outhouse designed for hamsters "to go potty in one specific area of their home" ??? One week after my husband and I placed this device in the cage of our one-year-old, male Syrian hamster, he died. Our hamster's eyes became puffy and swelled shut, he became lethargic, and developed an odd walk overnight. We are devastated and cannot help but wonder if the CritterTrail Outhouse is chock full of toxins. We have no children and are responsible adults who had assumed we were giving our hamster the  best care. We understand that hamsters have short life spans, but cannot help but notice that he was doing fine until we introduced the Super Pet CritterTrail Outhouse into him. Many thanks for any information you can provide.

Ruthie, I am so sorry to hear about your little hammie.

All my hammies have potties and I scoop their litter every other day or at a minimum of twice a week. I do not use any Critter Trail products. The only products I use are Hagen Habitrail, Space Station, Safari or Playground.

Please give me more information such as what type of litter did you use in your potty, did you put any white paper, paper towel, toilet paper, Kleenex or such products in your hammie's cage? What kind of bedding did you use? There are several NO's such as NONE of the above paper products in your hammie's cage. Also, I had a big problem with the white CareFresh Ultra Bedding. This product is bleached and not good at all for hammies. Another NO is NO cedar or pine shavings or any shavings with a scent added. Aspen is the best.

I can help you fix almost any problem you might have. May I please encourage you to clean out your hammie's cage with dish detergent and bleach and let is soak in this solution in your bath tub for a day. Then rinse it thoroughly and let air dry for a minimum of two days.

If you would allow me, may I suggest you go to the different pet stores and see if they have any hammies for adoption. Some hammies have lost an eye or have a broken leg that has healed the wrong way. They are in urgent need of a real loving home. Last week my veterinarian called me and I rescued a hammie who was paralyzed from the front legs down. Hercules is now coming around and just getting some feeling in his back legs. I am so excited. He is the sweetest little hammie you can ever imagine.

Let me know all the things you did surrounding your hammie's passing and I hopefully can tell you what I suspect so that you can not have the problem re-occur.

Your little precious hammie is waiting for you at Rainbow Bridge.

Has anyone had a negative experience with the Super Pet CritterTrail Outhouse designed for hamsters "to go potty in one specific area of their home" ??? One week after my husband and I placed this device in the cage of our one-year-old, male Syrian hamster, he died. Our hamster's eyes became puffy and swelled shut, he became lethargic, and developed an odd walk overnight. We are devastated and cannot help but wonder if the CritterTrail Outhouse is chock full of toxins. We have no children and are responsible adults who had assumed we were giving our hamster the  best care. We understand that hamsters have short life spans, but cannot help but notice that he was doing fine until we introduced the Super Pet CritterTrail Outhouse into him. Many thanks for any information you can provide.

Ruthie, I am so sorry to hear about your little hammie.

All my hammies have potties and I scoop their litter every other day or at a minimum of twice a week. I do not use any Critter Trail products. The only products I use are Hagen Habitrail, Space Station, Safari or Playground.

Please give me more information such as what type of litter did you use in your potty, did you put any white paper, paper towel, toilet paper, Kleenex or such products in your hammie's cage? What kind of bedding did you use? There are several NO's such as NONE of the above paper products in your hammie's cage. Also, I had a big problem with the white CareFresh Ultra Bedding. This product is bleached and not good at all for hammies. Another NO is NO cedar or pine shavings or any shavings with a scent added. Aspen is the best.

I can help you fix almost any problem you might have. May I please encourage you to clean out your hammie's cage with dish detergent and bleach and let is soak in this solution in your bath tub for a day. Then rinse it thoroughly and let air dry for a minimum of two days.

If you would allow me, may I suggest you go to the different pet stores and see if they have any hammies for adoption. Some hammies have lost an eye or have a broken leg that has healed the wrong way. They are in urgent need of a real loving home. Last week my veterinarian called me and I rescued a hammie who was paralyzed from the front legs down. Hercules is now coming around and just getting some feeling in his back legs. I am so excited. He is the sweetest little hammie you can ever imagine.

Let me know all the things you did surrounding your hammie's passing and I hopefully can tell you what I suspect so that you can not have the problem re-occur.

Your little precious hammie is waiting for you at Rainbow Bridge.

Horatio, I must say that you are an expert on hammies! You have wonderful advice! Anyways my hamster Jimmy had a Hagen Habitrail pottie and i had no problems with it. Eventually Jimmy just used it as a bed and i stopped buying the litter and let him put his shavings in there. Unfortunately, he died of brain annuriesm, i really miss him... :unsure::(

Horatio, I must say that you are an expert on hammies! You have wonderful advice! Anyways my hamster Jimmy had a Hagen Habitrail pottie and i had no problems with it. Eventually Jimmy just used it as a bed and i stopped buying the litter and let him put his shavings in there. Unfortunately, he died of brain annuriesm, i really miss him...  :unsure::(

Thank you for saying such nice things. I am really sorry about Jimmy. :( Hopefully you will get another hammie.

*runs off to take a pic of Hercules*

Horatio, I must say that you are an expert on hammies! You have wonderful advice! Anyways my hamster Jimmy had a Hagen Habitrail pottie and i had no problems with it. Eventually Jimmy just used it as a bed and i stopped buying the litter and let him put his shavings in there. Unfortunately, he died of brain annuriesm, i really miss him...  :unsure::(

Thank you for saying such nice things. I am really sorry about Jimmy. :( Hopefully you will get another hammie.

YOu know, mabe i will get another hamster. I asked my mom and she said that she didn't want to get one during the summer because we were away most of the time and couldn't give the hamster proper care and attention. But now since the summer is over and i'll be going to high school, It could be a good time to adopt. I just have to remember to stop bugging mom because than she will never get one! ;) My sister wants a rabbit and mom said "mabe" and it would have to be an outdoor rabbit because it would be too cooped up inside our house. And if i get another hammie I should take a refresher course on hamster care. BTW, is it true that hamsters should have a sand bath, I never heard of that before...

YOu know, mabe i will get another hamster. I asked my mom and she said that she didn't want to get one during the summer because we were away most of the time and couldn't give the hamster proper care and attention. But now since the summer is over and i'll be going to high school, It could be a good time to adopt. I just have to remember to stop bugging mom because than she will never get one! ;) My sister wants a rabbit and mom said "mabe" and it would have to be an outdoor rabbit because it would be too cooped up inside our house. And if i get another hammie I should take a refresher course on hamster care. BTW, is it true that hamsters should have a sand bath, I never heard of that before...

None of my hammie friends have a sand bath. A couple do use the potty litter as a bath! :lol:

Well, Horatio, Flip doesn't have a problem with the white CareFresh Ultra. Perhaps your bad experiences are because of your hamsters having allergies to it?

Flip and other hamsters are quite fortunate the white Carefresh Ultra does not bother them. When I corresponded with the company, they did admit the product was bleached. My veterinarian advised me against using it, so I stopped. :blink:

Well, Horatio, Flip doesn't have a problem with the white CareFresh Ultra. Perhaps your bad experiences are because of your hamsters having allergies to it?

Flip and other hamsters are quite fortunate the white Carefresh Ultra does not bother them. When I corresponded with the company, they did admit the product was bleached. My veterinarian advised me against using it, so I stopped. :blink:

Hey, at least they're honest about it. ;)

None of my hammie friends have a sand bath. A couple do use the potty litter as a bath! :lol:

Sand baths are very nice for hamsters to have. Flip could use one...

If you did get sand, you would have to insure it was not from the beach. It would have to have be insect and parasite free. None of my friends have sand baths. :lol:

Horatio is very good at hammie care! He told me what products and cages where best and Honey and Skittles stopped losing their fur and stopped having little rashes. Honey lived a longer life! And my Skittles is so much more healthier and happier. If only poor Dot could've been saved. She had allergies really bad because I had the pine shavings and the care fresh I didn't know that her wire wheel cut her feet and caused her to have a infection. At least she was spoiled with attention while she was alive! :D

If you did get sand, you would have to insure it was not from the beach. It would have to have be insect and parasite free. None of my friends have sand baths. :lol:

Yeah, really bad that would be bad if there were bad things in the bad sand. Bad. :lol:

Horatio is very good at hammie care! He told me what products and cages where best and Honey and Skittles stopped losing their fur and stopped having little rashes. Honey lived a longer life! And my Skittles is so much more healthier and happier. If only poor Dot could've been saved. She had allergies really bad because I had the pine shavings and the care fresh I didn't know that her wire wheel cut her feet and caused her to have a infection. At least she was spoiled with attention while she was alive! :D

Thanks for the vote of confidence! :D

Yeah, really bad that would be bad if there were bad things in the bad sand. Bad. :lol:

*thinks*

I wonder if you could microwave your sand long enough to get rid of any bacteria. Can the microwave get hot enough? :blink:

*thinks*

I wonder if you could microwave your sand long enough to get rid of any bacteria. Can the microwave get hot enough? :blink:

You could probably stick it in the oven.

*thinks*

that might work. or boiling it.

*thinks*

that might work. or boiling it.

Or you can buy sand.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh and Horatio, now they make unbleached care fresh stuff. It looks and smells like card board, that is what I use... Do you think I should stop giving my hamster tissues? :blink:

I used to have this cottany bedding junk, Che Che loved the stuff. I stopped giving it to her when she got it stuck in claws. I was afraid it would get suck in her cheek pouches. I gave it to her as a special treat when she broke her rib. I have been replacing it with shredded tissues ever since. She doesn't put them in her mouth though. She rolls it into balls and stuffs it into her house. I probbably should stop using tissues though oh yes i also use them as her potty litter. It is cheeper than litter anyway...oh yes I was wondering if I could use kitty litter for my hammie. It is all natural aspen and it was cut into little tiny balls, but not grains.

Oh and Horatio, now they make unbleached care fresh stuff. It looks and smells like card board, that is what I use... Do you think I should stop giving my hamster tissues? :blink:

I used to have this cottany bedding junk, Che Che loved the stuff. I stopped giving it to her when she got it stuck in claws. I was afraid it would get suck in her cheek pouches. I gave it to her as a special treat when she broke her rib. I have been replacing it with shredded tissues ever since. She doesn't put them in her mouth though. She rolls it into balls and stuffs it into her house. I probbably should stop using tissues though oh yes i also use them as her potty litter. It is cheeper than litter anyway...oh yes I was wondering if I could use kitty litter for my hammie. It is all natural aspen and it was cut into little tiny balls, but not grains.

Please stop immediately!!! NO tissues, NO toilet paper, NO paper towels. The paper is bleached and in addition, that type of paper gets stuck in the hammie's pouches and can get infected. I checked with the vet and he confirmed this information. If you want to give your hammie something to play with, ask your parents if you can have some of the newspaper AFTER they have read it. Tear up a bunch of strips and your hammie will have lots of fun.

I am glad I can still give her paper to play with. She loves it so much! I didnt reakize how dangerous giving tissue to my hamster is  :blink: .

My vet is a really great person and loves educating people about their pets. He has taught me so much. In addition the people who own the pet store, Karen and Bill, are really knowledgeable about many types of pets, so I have a wealth of information in the people I know. They always let hamsters hang out, so I get free food and water while I play.

Thought... what about the ink on the newspaper? Papercuts?

Good point. I will ask the veterinarian about the ink on the paper. As for papercuts... I have never gotten a papercut on my paw from newspaper... have you?

No, but it's a possibility that could be taken into consideration.

Well, I have to say, I am glad I stopped giving Che Che the tissues, but now ink on new papers! Oy, if it is "dangerous" I probably will still give it to her, just cuz she loves it SO much, and she doesnt eat it anyway...

I have checked with three veterinarians and they all agree the ink on the newspaper will not harm animals or humans. So newspaper is okay. Just not the advert section with the colored inks and shiny paper please.

Well, I have to say, I am glad I stopped giving Che Che the tissues, but now ink on new papers! Oy, if it is "dangerous" I probably will still give it to her, just cuz she loves it SO much, and she doesnt eat it anyway...

I have checked with three veterinarians and they all agree the ink on the newspaper will not harm animals or humans. So newspaper is okay. Just not the advert section with the colored inks and shiny paper please.

Okay... I'l stop eating the shiny parts of the newspaper. :(:lol:

Oh good! Here is a giant-sized box of multicolored micicles to replace the shiny parts of the newspaper. :lol:

Oh good! Here is a giant-sized box of multicolored micicles to replace the shiny parts of the newspaper. :lol:

*Steals micicles, is confronted by a horde of angry Vixens and MWs and other people that like micicles* :o:( XP

*Steals micicles, is confronted by a horde of angry Vixens and MWs and other people that like micicles* :o:( XP

*swipes all micicles*

Cheese... that eats... mice?

*swipes all micicles*

No, I just stole them so I could sell them on EBAY! :lol:

*swipes all micicles*

Oooh. Cuz otherwise that would be weird.

*swipes all micicles*

Oooh. Cuz otherwise that would be weird.

Yeah. HOWEVER, I will eat a micicle for Kat Points. ^O^

LAZY!!!!LAZY!!!!LAZY!!!!