Hampsterdance Discussion Board

I haven't gone to the movies in forever. Any recommendations? I don't have school next Friday and was thinking of going to a movie or something.

Ghost town...ummm... Nick & Norah's infinite playlist apparently comes out this friday. I just finished reading the book sometime today. And....I don't know what else....

~Liz

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't gone to the movies in forever. Any recommendations? I don't have school next Friday and was thinking of going to a movie or something.

Ghost town...ummm... Nick & Norah's infinite playlist apparently comes out this friday. I just finished reading the book sometime today. And....I don't know what else....

~Liz

I'm certain you can think of something else. :D

Thanks for posting in the movie club. I went to see Nights in Rodanthe.

To me, it was a really wonderful movie. It had a deeper meaning that you needed to feel.

The ending was great.

This is a movie I would definitely see again.

My mom wants to see that.

We saw Nick&Norah last Friday, it was good. Somewhat different from the book, but still enjoyable. ^_^

~Liz

Thanks for posting in the movie club. I went to see Nights in Rodanthe.

To me, it was a really wonderful movie. It had a deeper meaning that you needed to feel.

The ending was great.

This is a movie I would definitely see again.

My mom wants to see that.

We saw Nick&Norah last Friday, it was good. Somewhat different from the book, but still enjoyable. ^_^

~Liz

Tell your mother she will love the ending.

Also... bring tissues.

• 1 month later...

I saw Zatoichi a few nights ago. Anyone seen it? Look up "zatoichi tap dance" on Youtube and be amazed.

• 3 weeks later...

I was streaming "Bolt" last night but it cut out right near the final climax of the story so I am VERY annoyed that I can't see the ending. Grr! :angry: And I was really enjoying it, too, especially the crazy-cool hamster.

I was streaming "Bolt" last night but it cut out right near the final climax of the story so I am VERY annoyed that I can't see the ending. Grr! :angry: And I was really enjoying it, too, especially the crazy-cool hamster.

GRRRRR... I hate when that happens.

I have not seen Bolt... I shall put it on my list.

Scrap that, I just saw the ending. I did enjoy it and I now want a German shepherd more than ever (and I'm a real cat person). I ebt you're only watching it for the hamster. :lol:

Scrap that, I just saw the ending. I did enjoy it and I now want a German shepherd more than ever (and I'm a real cat person). I ebt you're only watching it for the hamster. :lol:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Am I that transparent? LOL

Only a little bit. :lol:. When I was watching the film I thought that it might interest you in that respect.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Am I that transparent? LOL

Only a little bit. :lol:. When I was watching the film I thought that it might interest you in that respect.

:blush: Probably not a good sign. :blush:

Not necessarily! Besides, I think little green men on mars know what you think of hamsters. :D

Unfortunately, little green men on Mars also know what I think about hamsters... CHOMP.

Unfortunately, little green men on Mars also know what I think about hamsters... CHOMP.

*goes online to look up eagle predators* :unsure:

If you Google "eagle predators", something about golden eagles comes up third! Most of the time people haven't even HEARD of golden eagles.

We're better than bald eagles, anyway.

So I watched all the cruddy In-Flight movies both on the way there and back to Europe.

On the way, I watched WALL-E, which was as good as everyone said it was.

On the way back, I originally wanted to watch The Dark Knight, but since a new month had started they had a new selection of movies, so I watched Meet The Robinsons, which was EXCELLENT.

So I watched all the cruddy In-Flight movies both on the way there and back to Europe.

On the way back, I originally wanted to watch The Dark Knight, but since a new month had started they had a new selection of movies, so I watched Meet The Robinsons, which was EXCELLENT.

I saw Meet The Robinsons when it first came out...I want to see it again, it was funny. :P

~Liz

Meet The Robinsons... sounds great.

Meet The Robinsons... sounds great.

I really didn't expect it to be any good, but it was really, really good. I expected it to have bad, kiddy humor, but it was genuinely funny. Lots of "What The Fork?" moments, too.

Saw two excellent films today. The first one was "Happy-go-lucky", a semi-indie film that's a bit like "Amelie" in the way that it has an optomistic protagonist but has an ominous undertone to it. For example, when someone steals her bike that was chained to a railing, she comes back, laughs and says "I didn't even get to say goodbye!". :lol: Second film was an Oscar-winner from Austria and is called "The Counterfeiters". It's about "Operation Bernhard", an operation that the Nazis had to flood the UK and US economies with counterfeit money in order to bankrupt them and in order to do this they used skilled prisoners from concentration camps. It was so sad yet concentrated on the ideas of following orders, believing in principles and never giving up. In addition, it really helped my German!

And that was the LE review. ^_^

Saw two excellent films today. The first one was "Happy-go-lucky", a semi-indie film that's a bit like "Amelie" in the way that it has an optomistic protagonist but has an ominous undertone to it. For example, when someone steals her bike that was chained to a railing, she comes back, laughs and says "I didn't even get to say goodbye!". :lol: Second film was an Oscar-winner from Austria and is called "The Counterfeiters". It's about "Operation Bernhard", an operation that the Nazis had to flood the UK and US economies with counterfeit money in order to bankrupt them and in order to do this they used skilled prisoners from concentration camps. It was so sad yet concentrated on the ideas of following orders, believing in principles and never giving up. In addition, it really helped my German!

And that was the LE review. ^_^

Now those sound like really great films. I want to see the Secret Lives of Bees. Of course, by the time I get around to seeing a movie, it is no longer showing in the theatre.

Saw Australia last night! (And not just for the NEW ORIGINAL ELTON JOHN SONG that plays during the credits...lol)

I liked it! Has anyone else seen it?

~Liz

OMG i wanted to see that movie SOOOO bad!

TWILIGHT!@(#U!(@*#

I was there at the midnight premiere with my team edward shirt on :D

and there were more guys there than i expected, most of them being girl's boyfriends that they dragged along i assume

one guy even dressed up as edward cullen

Saw Australia last night! (And not just for the NEW ORIGINAL ELTON JOHN SONG that plays during the credits...lol)

~Liz

TWILIGHT!@(#U!(@*#

and there were more guys there than i expected, most of them being girl's boyfriends that they dragged along i assume

I'm reading Eclipse for the second time....

(But I suppose that should be in the book club thread!)

~Liz

~Liz

TWILIGHT!@(#U!(@*#

~Liz

Not if they make it into a movie. :lol:

~Liz

TWILIGHT!@(#U!(@*#

~Liz

Not if they make it into a movie. :lol:

Well, they have to do New Moon first.

I read Breaking Dawn (for the second time) within 24 hours. And I didn't even have it with me at school. Wed night, my mom brought it home for me from the school library ('cause she's the school librarian) and I read a few pages but I had to go to sleep. Then I read it during breakfast Thursday and on the 10-minute drive to school. Then I got home from school and read it for most of the afternoon and finished it at...5 or 6 or 7, somewhere in that vicinity. :rolleyes:

~Liz

• 2 weeks later...

HAY EVERYPEOPLE'S! IT'S A DOUBLE MOVIE REVIEW SOUPRA SPESHUL!!!!111111111

Alright. So the day before yesterday, I saw Bedtime Stories, and today I saw Tale of Desperaux. So I'll review them here:

Title-Bedtime Stories

Rating-PG

Genre: Comedy (Live action)

Story: Alright, so some guy name Skeeter (played by Adam Sandler) has been working as a janitor at his father's hotel for years and his life has, well, pretty much s*****. To make things worse, his hippie sister tells him he has to babysit her two kids for a week. But things go awry when, mysteriously, the things that the children add in the stories seem to happen in real life. Skeeter decides to use this to his advantage, and finally gets a shot at becoming the manager of the hotel. Things go bad, though, when the new hotel to be built that he will own is going to be built over the school his niece and nephew attend. Now he must race against time to save the school.

Rating: :) :) :) :) 1/2

Comments: Entertaining and funny at parts, it's not so bad.

Title-Tale of Desperaux

Rating-G

Genre: Adventure...ish...? (Animated)

Story: Based on the novel about a tiny mouse called Desperaux who is considered a freak by his kin, a rat also considered a freak by his kin, a sad princess, a servant who wants to be the princess, and soup. The kingdom of Door (or something) is famous everywhere for it's soup; until one day, when the royal fambly is eating some soups, a rat falls into the Queen's soup. She has a heart attack and dies. What a way to go. So, the now-depressed King outlaws soup and rats. Ever since then, there's been no light, no rain, and everyone is sad. Meanwhile, Desperaux is being taught to be a mouse and fails; he is told he needs to be afraid but he is brave. During a brave outing, he reads a fairy tale and becomes drawn into the story, and eventually talks to the princess herself. Because of this, he is banished to the dungeon where the rats live. What happens? You need to see it to find out, fool!

Rating: :) :) :) :) :)

Comments: Excellent. That is all.

Alright. So the day before yesterday, I saw Bedtime Stories, and today I saw Tale of Desperaux. So I'll review them here:

Title-Bedtime Stories

Rating-PG

Story: Alright, so some guy name Skeeter (played by Adam Sandler) has been working as a janitor at his father's hotel for years and his life has, well, pretty much s*****. To make things worse, his hippie sister tells him he has to babysit her two kids for a week. But things go awry when, mysteriously, the things that the children add in the stories seem to happen in real life. Skeeter decides to use this to his advantage, and finally gets a shot at becoming the manager of the hotel. Things go bad, though, when the new hotel to be built that he will own is going to be built over the school his niece and nephew attend. Now he must race against time to save the school.

Title-Tale of Desperaux

Rating-G

Story: Based on the novel about a tiny mouse called Desperaux who is considered a freak by his kin, a rat also considered a freak by his kin, a sad princess, a servant who wants to be the princess, and soup. The kingdom of Door (or something) is famous everywhere for it's soup; until one day, when the royal fambly is eating some soups, a rat falls into the Queen's soup. She has a heart attack and dies. What a way to go. So, the now-depressed King outlaws soup and rats. Ever since then, there's been no light, no rain, and everyone is sad. Meanwhile, Desperaux is being taught to be a mouse and fails; he is told he needs to be afraid but he is brave. During a brave outing, he reads a fairy tale and becomes drawn into the story, and eventually talks to the princess herself. Because of this, he is banished to the dungeon where the rats live. What happens? You need to see it to find out, fool!

I forgot to mention: Tale of Desperaux stayed VERY true to the book. that made me happy. And the movie gained +5 awesome pylons thus.

Title-Bedtime Stories

Rating-PG

Title-Tale of Desperaux

Rating-G

I forgot to mention: Tale of Desperaux stayed VERY true to the book. that made me happy. And the movie gained +5 awesome pylons thus.

Tale of Desperaux was fantastic!!!

I agree with Mushroom_king...

Five hammy-star rating!!!

Title-Bedtime Stories

Rating-PG

Title-Tale of Desperaux

Rating-G

I haven't seen Despereaux yet, but from the previews and imdb message board comments it seems very different from the book... But I'll have to see it myself at some point.

~Liz

Triple Movie Reivew!

Last Chance Harvey (seen in previews in NYC)

Dustin Hoffman, Emma Thompson

Dustin plays Harvey... something (can't remember character's last name) who writes music for ads. Goes to London for his daughter's wedding, finds out she wants her stepdad to give her away instead, loses job, life not going well. Emma plays...well I can't remember her character's name. Sorry, I'm tired. Anyway, she works for an airport in London, has to take care of her mom who is worried about Emma's being single, lonely. Emma & Dustin meet....and that's all I'll say. :rolleyes:

Cute, funny. IDK, 3 smiles or whatever? I'm not great at rating things.

The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button

Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchett

Brad Pitt plays Benjamin Button, who is born old and grows younger throughout his life. Cate plays Daisy, a girl who he falls in love with. Long but very good. I won't go into plot detail but a very satisfying movie. (and features a Beatles cameo!)

4 and a half smiles

Marley and Me

Owen Wilson, Jennifer aniston

based on the book by the same name...family gets a dog who's a lot of trouble but of course they love him anyway...very sad ending, I actually cried :o which is surprising for me. so when we got home my mom & I watched the music man (matthew broderick/kristen chenoweth version) to cheer me up. ^_^

IDK how many smiles

So.....yeah.

~Liz

Triple Movie Reivew!

Last Chance Harvey (seen in previews in NYC)

Dustin Hoffman, Emma Thompson

Dustin plays Harvey... something (can't remember character's last name) who writes music for ads. Goes to London for his daughter's wedding, finds out she wants her stepdad to give her away instead, loses job, life not going well. Emma plays...well I can't remember her character's name. Sorry, I'm tired. Anyway, she works for an airport in London, has to take care of her mom who is worried about Emma's being single, lonely. Emma & Dustin meet....and that's all I'll say. :rolleyes:

Cute, funny. IDK, 3 smiles or whatever? I'm not great at rating things.

The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button

Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchett

Brad Pitt plays Benjamin Button, who is born old and grows younger throughout his life. Cate plays Daisy, a girl who he falls in love with. Long but very good. I won't go into plot detail but a very satisfying movie. (and features a Beatles cameo!)

4 and a half smiles

Marley and Me

Owen Wilson, Jennifer aniston

based on the book by the same name...family gets a dog who's a lot of trouble but of course they love him anyway...very sad ending, I actually cried :o which is surprising for me. so when we got home my mom & I watched the music man (matthew broderick/kristen chenoweth version) to cheer me up. ^_^

IDK how many smiles

So.....yeah.

~Liz

Thanks for the reviews!

I want to see Last Chance Harvey. Seems like a great movie for the afternoon.

After hearing about some kids who tried the car trick with their dog, ended up killing the dog when he couldn't keep up and the car ran over his head. So, I will not give any of my money to this film. Even if it did have a happy ending. How irresponsible of the film company to not think people would try some of the stunts they saw. Poor dog. I cannot imagine what those stupid people were thinking.

Benjamin Button was good. I loved it. Michael loved it. But it's not a typical movie that a guy would like. lol. I mean, there's a bit of action in a few senses of the word, but only a little blowing stuff up. lol.

I want to see Benjamin Button and Last Chance Harvey.

Because of my reviews? :rolleyes: LOL

~Liz

Absolutely! Yours and Mushroom_king's review of Bedtime Stories. So, actually there are three on my list.

Cool. ^_^

More reviews listing what I've seen recently but don't feel like reviewing. ;) :

Two movies I've seen already...but watched (both) for the second time this weekend...

My Cousin Vinny... (One of I think two r-rated movies I've seen...along with Billy Elliot)(and in...6 days I'll be able to get in r-rated movies by myself. woo. it's like the only privelege that comes with turning 17.)

Baby Mama

both funny! :lol:

~Liz

I want to see Benjamin Button and Last Chance Harvey.

Because of my reviews? :rolleyes: LOL

~Liz

Absolutely! Yours and Mushroom_king's review of Bedtime Stories. So, actually there are three on my list.

Cool. ^_^

More reviews listing what I've seen recently but don't feel like reviewing. ;) :

Two movies I've seen already...but watched (both) for the second time this weekend...

My Cousin Vinny... (One of I think two r-rated movies I've seen...along with Billy Elliot)(and in...6 days I'll be able to get in r-rated movies by myself. woo. it's like the only privelege that comes with turning 17.)

Baby Mama

both funny! :lol:

~Liz

My Cousin Vinny is really funny. :D I like watching that one.

I'm really into Judy Garland at the moment so I saw "For me and my gal" over Christmas. I just kept on crying, so sad... but YAY for the happy songs! ^_^

I'm really into Judy Garland at the moment so I saw "For me and my gal" over Christmas. I just kept on crying, so sad... but YAY for the happy songs! ^_^

Wizard of Oz. Except you will probably have to wait until next Christmas. :lol:

Judy is SO much more than that film! I'm annoyed right now because a lot of the classical films I want aren't available in region 2 so I can't watch them. <_<

Wizard of Oz. Except you will probably have to wait until next Christmas. :lol:

Judy is SO much more than that film! I'm annoyed right now because a lot of the classical films I want aren't available in region 2 so I can't watch them. <_>

I'll fly them over to you. :lol:

I saw Changeling today. I HATE Angelina Jolie but I thought the film was good, albeit disturbing. Now I can't stop watching the trailer for Beverly Hills Chichuahua... that has to be the best song EVER EVER EVER.

I saw Changeling today. I HATE Angelina Jolie but I thought the film was good, albeit disturbing. Now I can't stop watching the trailer for Beverly Hills Chichuahua... that has to be the best song EVER EVER EVER.

I'm not a fan of Angelina Jolie either.

Go to YouTube and search "Beverly Hills Chihuahua Reaction". Much lolz ensue.

Just finished watching "City of Ember": not as good as the book (which I LOVED) but never mind. Watching "Annie" now.

And, with reference to Angelina Jolie...

post-1559-1232307458_thumb.jpg

Just finished watching "City of Ember": not as good as the book (which I LOVED) but never mind. Watching "Annie" now.

I also LOVED the book City of Ember. The movie was sort of OK...but there was some weird stuff. Like the giant mole. Where did that come from? :blink:

But reading the book for the first time was such a fun experience...the suspense of not knowing whether or not they're going to get out...etc. I've read all the other ones too (sparks, yonwood, darkhold) but ember is the best.

~Liz

I also LOVED the book City of Ember. The movie was sort of OK...but there was some weird stuff. Like the giant mole. Where did that come from? :blink:

But reading the book for the first time was such a fun experience...the suspense of not knowing whether or not they're going to get out...etc. I've read all the other ones too (sparks, yonwood, darkhold) but ember is the best.

~Liz

It's so interesting that I watched COE when I did, because I just finished a documentary on evolution that actually talked about the same species of mole featured in the film (the star nosed mole). I just found that to be an interesting coincidence. :blink:

I found that the film didn't really explain itself very well. I have a bad memory and read the book a long time ago so I was hoping that the story would explain some of the plot points so I could remember

why they were down there in the first place

but they didn't really talk about it at all. They didn't even

explain why the animals were so big when they used to be small, a point that they brought up but then didn't resolve

. Bad storytelling, really. But I do like the adventure/mystery element.

~Liz

It's so interesting that I watched COE when I did, because I just finished a documentary on evolution that actually talked about the same species of mole featured in the film (the star nosed mole). I just found that to be an interesting coincidence. :blink:

I found that the film didn't really explain itself very well. I have a bad memory and read the book a long time ago so I was hoping that the story would explain some of the plot points so I could remember

explain why the animals were so big when they used to be small, a point that they brought up but then didn't resolve

Yeah...they did leave out a lot. Why do movies always do that? (Like Harry Potter...)

~Liz

~Liz

Yeah...they did leave out a lot. Why do movies always do that? (Like Harry Potter...)

~Liz

Obviously they never read the book. :lol:

~Liz

~Liz

Didn't you know? Whenever they make a movie based off something, they are required by law to hire a director and actors who have never read the book/played the video game, that way it stays as faaaaar away from canon as possible.

~Liz

~Liz

Didn't you know? Whenever they make a movie based off something, they are required by law to hire a director and actors who have never read the book/played the video game, that way it stays as faaaaar away from canon as possible.

*slaps forehead*

Well that makes total sense. :lol:

Daniel Radcliffe hadn't read HP when he auditioned for the part, you know. Think of all the guys who would have killed for that part. :rolleyes:

But I don't like people saying "it's not like the bok therefore I don't like it". Of course it's not like the book, nobody has the same imagination as you. They are different types of storytelling so of course the styles will be different. People need to grow up and stop being morons.

Daniel Radcliffe hadn't read HP when he auditioned for the part, you know. Think of all the guys who would have killed for that part. :rolleyes:

But I don't like people saying "it's not like the bok therefore I don't like it". Of course it's not like the book, nobody has the same imagination as you. They are different types of storytelling so of course the styles will be different. People need to grow up and stop being morons.

Wouldn't you allow some people this comment when the movie varies greatly from the book?

I would have at least expected that if you were going to act in a movie based on a book, that you would have at LEAST, read the book to get your impression of what the author was trying to accomplish.

Wouldn't you allow some people this comment when the movie varies greatly from the book?

I would have at least expected that if you were going to act in a movie based on a book, that you would have at LEAST, read the book to get your impression of what the author was trying to accomplish.

Yes, of course, that is allowed. But there's always a huge group of people - the hardcore fans, mostly - that whine and whinge just for the excuse to whine and whinge. They're broken records and because the film did not match their imagination EXACTLY then it is apparently bad. What I'm trying to say is that people assume that the two different types of medium will produce identical works of art which is nigh on impossible. We're all different, therefore everything we view will be different. This is increased when you transfer a book to the screen.

Yes, of course, that is allowed. But there's always a huge group of people - the hardcore fans, mostly - that whine and whinge just for the excuse to whine and whinge. They're broken records and because the film did not match their imagination EXACTLY then it is apparently bad. What I'm trying to say is that people assume that the two different types of medium will produce identical works of art which is nigh on impossible. We're all different, therefore everything we view will be different. This is increased when you transfer a book to the screen.

Oh... the whiners. The must also be pilots. I work with a bunch of those type people. :lol:

Oh... the whiners. The must also be pilots. I work with a bunch of those type people. :lol:

Worst pilot ever = the one that almost killed us on landing. I have never been so scared in a plane in my entire life, and I'm a VERY good flyer.

Worst pilot ever = the one that almost killed us on landing. I have never been so scared in a plane in my entire life, and I'm a VERY good flyer.

So, I would imagine that was you when you almost forgot to put down your landing gear? :lol:

I usually don't care if there are a few differences. I loved the Harry Potter movies, The Lord of The Rings movies, and as stated I loved Tale of Desperaux espite differences from the book...if the movie is completely different from the book, that might upset me, but if the movie is good anyway, I'll still like it.

So, I would imagine that was you when you almost forgot to put down your landing gear? :lol:

Shhh. :P I don't tend to fly these days because I'm too lazy. I need to get a Segway.

I usually don't care if there are a few differences. I loved the Harry Potter movies, The Lord of The Rings movies, and as stated I loved Tale of Desperaux espite differences from the book...if the movie is completely different from the book, that might upset me, but if the movie is good anyway, I'll still like it.

Yeah, people can't expect everything to be exact. But I do think minimising the role of the house elves in the HP films was a loss... I did enjoy that whole SPEW thing.

Shhh. :P I don't tend to fly these days because I'm too lazy. I need to get a Segway.

Now that would be a sight to see!

And I supposed you want to ride it around the mall. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I just came back from seeing a Buster Keaton double featre, namely "Sherlock Jr." and "The General". I couldn't stop laughing, they are SO funny! :lol:

I saw "Man on Wire" last night. It's about Philippe Petit, the man who constructed a tightrope between the two World Trade Centre towers and walked across in 1974. It's an amazing documentary and it shows how if you have a dream you must go for it, which is really inspiring. It is also very cleverly done as there is a lot of footage of the construction of the towers: the director said that the footage was included to juxtapose against all the footage of the 9/11 excavation, showing the creation of the buildings rather than their destruction. The images of this man balanced on a wire 1368 ft in the air is just pheonominal.

I really recommend this to anyone who needs some inspiration.

A film you should NOT watch is "Paul Blart: Mall Cop". It was so bad I do not have words for it.

I'd prefer to have my beak removed without anaesthetic to watching this film again.

A film you should NOT watch is "Paul Blart: Mall Cop". It was so bad I do not have words for it.

I'd prefer to have my beak removed without anaesthetic to watching this film again.

I heard it was bad, and after Twilight I didn't want to go through anymore bad movies.

I'll be doing a review tomorrow if I get time, of one of my favorite kid's movies. =D

I heard it was bad, and after Twilight I didn't want to go through anymore bad movies.

I'll be doing a review tomorrow if I get time, of one of my favorite kid's movies. =D

Just watching the trailers made me think it might not be something I wanted to see.

Thanks for the warning. I know I definitely won't be seeing that one.

Remember yesterday when I promised a movie review?! Well guess what kids! IT'S DOUBLE MOVIE REVIEW TIME because yesterday I watched India Jones: The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull with my Uncle because I was at my Grandma's, I was bored, he had the DVD and I had not seen it yet.

On with those reviews:

Title: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls

Genre: Adventure

Stars: Harrison Ford. My mom thinks he's hot

Story: Archaeologist Indiana Jones, who is now a bajillion years old, must race against some communist Russians to get to a Mayan temple before they do because of a legend stating that a Crystal Skull was stolen from there millions of years ago and whoever returns it gains mystical powers. The said Crystal Skull is actually the skull of an alien, and has some intense magnet powerz.

Review: I wasn't entirely sure about this movie because of the mixed reviews I heard, but I honestly really liked it. It had all the cleverness, adventure, humor, and nightmare fuel that I were in the first three movies, and it kept me glued to it, highly interested, though it did leave me with a lot of questions: I kind of wish that more had been done with the -SPOILER TIMEZ- aliens that live in the Mayan temples- -END SPOILER TIMEZ-, plus I'm sorely confused as to why there was a city of Mannequins at the beginning of the movie, a question that was never answered.

Rating: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: 1/2

Comments: Indiana Jones surviving a nuclear explosion in a fridge = AWESOME. Seeing a communist get eaten alive by ants = NOT SO AWESOME.

Title: The Brave Little Toaster

Genre: Animated Kid's Adventure/High Octane Nightmare Fuel

Story: Five appliances-A toaster, lamp, radio, electric blanket, an a vacuum aptly named Kirby-have been left behind by their Master 'Rob' when he moved to the city. Not satisfied to stay in the cottage doing work for years until they rust and break down, the appliances go on an epic quest to find Rob.

Review: This movie was a favorite of mine and my brother when we were young, and it still is one of my favorite movies. Why? Because it's one of those films you saw as a kid, and then you watch it when you're older and realize there was a lot of stuff you didn't really notice: One of these things being just how philosophical this movie was, especially the infamous flower scene (still sad to this day).

One thing you might find odd it how dark this film is. Reading about it, it seems innocent enough: five appliances go to find their owner. But believe me when I say this movie is dark: Each character goes through at least one near-death experience (two if you include the scene where they nearly all drown in a swamp, three if you include the scene where they are nearly crushed by a compactor); and tons of actual deaths happen, some of them being genuinely frightening (I still can't watch Toaster's Dream sequence all the way through); A flower dies of loneliness (more sad than scary), and at the beginning, an Air conditioner that reminds me of Jack Nicholson commits suicide (I found this scene scary as a kid, but I love it now). And don't get me started on the "B-Movie" song sequence (again, I find it awesome now-though to be honest I was never genuinely frightened by it-I loved the song)

Rating: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Comments: The music in this movie is AMAZING. Not just the lyrical songs, but the background music as well. The most notable song would be "Worthless", which plays during one of the darkest scenes I've ever seen in a children's movie. The soundtrack was released on CD a few years ago, but you can find it online.

plus I'm sorely confused as to why there was a city of Mannequins at the beginning of the movie, a question that was never answered.

Just to see how the atomic blast would affect people/to adequately simulate that a real bomb would do.

As far as I can tell.

I'm in the middle of "Milk". It's a lot better than the sufficiently terrible TCCO Benjamin Button. <_<

It's a lot better than the sufficiently terrible TCCO Benjamin Button. <_<

Is it that bad? 'Cause the book was awesome.

It went nowhere at a snail's pace. There were so many plot holes you could fit a small T-rex through them. It certainly does not deserve a bundle 'o' Oscars.

I saw Coraline, and this is my review:

GO SEE IT. YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT.

What's that? You want a real review? Oh fine.

Title: Coraline

Genre: Stop-Motion Animated Fantasy Adventure (Three-Dimensional in some theaters)

Story: A young girl named Coraline and her parents move into some new apartments; her parents, who work for a gardening magazine, are boring and never talk to Coraline, and she's bored; that, and she finds her neighbors (A Russian acrobat, two old women with a bunch of poodles, and a nerdy kid named WhyBeBorn who personally was my favorite character) to be complete dorks. That is, until one day, when she finds a hidden door leading to a strange world where everything is perfect-her neighbors are fun, her parents are nice and interesting, and Whybeborn shuts up. But all is not right in this seemingly perfect world...

Review: All I can say is...wow. Just...wow. This really was amazing. The soundtrack was great, it was refreshing to see Stop-motion animation (which was also amazing and highly realistic), original storyline, fun characters, and lots of unfiltered pure AWESOME.

Rating: :o :o :o :o :o

Comments: Again, GO SEE THIS MOVIE.

Unrelated: Is anyone else looking forward to 9, the new Tim Burton movie coming out in September, and Up, the Pixar movie coming out on my birthday? I saw previews for both when I saw Coraline and they look really good, especially 9 (even though 9 kinda looks like a demented version of Sackboy from LittleBig Planet).

Also, The Watchmen looks like it will be made of awesome.

Genre: Stop-Motion Animated Fantasy Adventure (Three-Dimensional in some theaters)

Story: A young girl named Coraline and her parents move into some new apartments; her parents, who work for a gardening magazine, are boring and never talk to Coraline, and she's bored; that, and she finds her neighbors (A Russian acrobat, two old women with a bunch of poodles, and a nerdy kid named WhyBeBorn who personally was my favorite character) to be complete dorks. That is, until one day, when she finds a hidden door leading to a strange world where everything is perfect-her neighbors are fun, her parents are nice and interesting, and Whybeborn shuts up. But all is not right in this seemingly perfect world...

Review: All I can say is...wow. Just...wow. This really was amazing. The soundtrack was great, it was refreshing to see Stop-motion animation (which was also amazing and highly realistic), original storyline, fun characters, and lots of unfiltered pure AWESOME.

Unrelated: Is anyone else looking forward to 9, the new Tim Burton movie coming out in September, and Up, the Pixar movie coming out on my birthday? I saw previews for both when I saw Coraline and they look really good, especially 9 (even though 9 kinda looks like a demented version of Sackboy from LittleBig Planet).

Thanks!!! We plan on trying to see it tomorrow. I will let you know what I think...

that is...

if I am STILL alive! :o

Now that you mention 9 and Up, I will look for the trailers. Had not noticed them.

I read the book Coraline several years ago...I will probably see the movie at some point, thanks for the review...

~Liz

He's Just Not That Into You...

Cast: Too many to list...LOL

Review: Funny, cute romantic comedy...nothing spectacular, but enjoyable if you're in a Valentine-y mood. Sometimes a little confusing to keep track of characters, but I did like it. Laughed quite a few times...

~Liz

Re-watched "Brazil". One of my all-time favourites, it is indeed a masterpiece and leaves you feeling chilled to the core.

Re-watched "Brazil". One of my all-time favourites, it is indeed a masterpiece and leaves you feeling chilled to the core.

LOL my mom despised that movie...kind of an in-joke with my family. I have no idea what it's about, though... :rolleyes:

~Liz

• 3 months later...

LOL my mom despised that movie...kind of an in-joke with my family. I have no idea what it's about, though... :rolleyes:

~Liz

It's a bit of an aquired taste. I love it because it's dystopian and creepy but also funny, but some people can't stand the style and I understand that.

I'm in a very Woody Allen mood. On Tuesday I saw "Love and Death" and "Annie Hall" in a row and couldn't stop laughing all evening. The former has excellent lines, some of my favourites being "I never want to marry, I just want to get divorced", "And you, Sonja, you look more beautiful standing here than you do in person" and:

Sonja: And I want three children.

Boris: Yes. Yes. One of each.

It's a win.

~Liz

It's a bit of an aquired taste. I love it because it's dystopian and creepy but also funny, but some people can't stand the style and I understand that.

I'm in a very Woody Allen mood. On Tuesday I saw "Love and Death" and "Annie Hall" in a row and couldn't stop laughing all evening. The former has excellent lines, some of my favourites being "I never want to marry, I just want to get divorced", "And you, Sonja, you look more beautiful standing here than you do in person" and:

Sonja: And I want three children.

Boris: Yes. Yes. One of each.

It's a win.

Woody Allen... lots and lots of talent!!! I enjoy his films.

I saw Monsters Vs. Aliens with my mom a few weeks back, and I have to say it was excellent, though a bit awkward because there were moments when me and my mom were the only people laughing at the jokes, which referenced things like The Invisible Man, An Inconvienient (sp) Truth, Spaceballs, not to mention Stephen Colbert doing the voice of the President in the movie.

I plan to see Star Trek and Angels & Demons soon. I REALLY want to go see Star Trek with some friends, and next Friday on my Birthday 'Up' is coming out and I plan to see it with some friends.

I just got back from Star Trek.

IT WAS AWESOME.

i want to see it again : D with friends this time : D

But I have some important Angels & Demons, Night at The Museum 2, and Up to see first.

I just finished watching "The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas". The film finished 10 minutes ago and I'm still crying. It's so heartbreaking. It's also the fifth film I've seen today (I am not kidding) after seeing "Once", "Stranger than Fiction" (re-watch), "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle" and "The Pink Panther 2". So yeah, I've seen four new films today, which is good, even for me (I spend my entire life watching films).

I just finished watching "The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas". The film finished 10 minutes ago and I'm still crying. It's so heartbreaking. It's also the fifth film I've seen today (I am not kidding) after seeing "Once", "Stranger than Fiction" (re-watch), "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle" and "The Pink Panther 2". So yeah, I've seen four new films today, which is good, even for me (I spend my entire life watching films).

Perhaps you should consider a career as a film critic. :)

What was the first film about?

Stranger than Fiction was a cool movie.

Recently seen: The soloist, ghosts of girlfriends past, night at the musuem

~Liz

• 4 weeks later...
You gotta tell them, Horatio! You gotta tell them!!!!

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!

as well as a really awesome movie

I will tell them. I could shout it! :D

*puts this movie on my list of 'must do' things*

bhkcbdslifajsdv WHAT YOU HAVEN'T SEEN SOYLENT GREEN YET WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR

Soylent Green = officially ruined for all humanity due to the popularity of its most famous line.

The trailer is even more amusing as it gives away even MORE of the plot! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

transformer: rise of the fallen

Pretty good movie, if a bit heavy on the naughty bits and biological/robotic function humour.

Bit it;'s got giant robots, and big guns. what else do you need?

Giant robots make EVERYTHING better. If there's anything to be learned from Japanese cartoons, it's that.

But in related news, I do plan on seeing Transformers 2, I originally planned to see it last Saturday but we were worried about the number of people so we're waiting. We went and bought Wall-E on DVD instead, 'cause my mom hadn't seen it yet.

Yesterday I watched Ice age 3. Really cool.

We wanted to watch it in 3d, but you have to reserve the ticket 3 days in advance because so many people want to see it in 3d. The woman from the ticket reservation was just laughing when we wanted to reserve tickets for the evening. :lol:

Maybe I'll watch it again, then in 3d. I never watched a 3d movie and this movie looks like there are a lot of cool effects.

Yesterday I watched Ice age 3. Really cool.

We wanted to watch it in 3d, but you have to reserve the ticket 3 days in advance because so many people want to see it in 3d. The woman from the ticket reservation was just laughing when we wanted to reserve tickets for the evening. :lol:

Maybe I'll watch it again, then in 3d. I never watched a 3d movie and this movie looks like there are a lot of cool effects.

If you manage to watch it in 3D, let me know if it was worth the wait for your reservations.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, I'm going to go see a movie with mom tomorrow probably, I'm wondering whether we should see Harry Potter or Transformers. I was going to see Transformers opening weekend but didn't because we didn't want to be stuck in a theatre with a bunch of annoying kids.

Also-9, Ponyo, and Sherlock Holmes can't come soon enough can they?

-wants Coraline and Watchmen on DVD ;_;-

Alright, I'm going to go see a movie with mom tomorrow probably, I'm wondering whether we should see Harry Potter or Transformers. I was going to see Transformers opening weekend but didn't because we didn't want to be stuck in a theatre with a bunch of annoying kids.

Also-9, Ponyo, and Sherlock Holmes can't come soon enough can they?

-wants Coraline and Watchmen on DVD ;_;-

Go see G-Force! :D

We watched Ferris Bueler's Day Off (I probably spelled that wrong) here at MIT. It was funny! :P

~Liz

I was at Rachel's with Kaitlyn Sunday night, and she reminded me that you were at MIT? How is it!? She said you come home soon, right?

It will be great when Dog Lover returns. We will hear all about her MIT adventure. I think she is having an awesome time. :D

We watched Ferris Bueler's Day Off (I probably spelled that wrong) here at MIT. It was funny! :P

~Liz

I was at Rachel's with Kaitlyn Sunday night, and she reminded me that you were at MIT? How is it!? She said you come home soon, right?

It will be great when Dog Lover returns. We will hear all about her MIT adventure. I think she is having an awesome time. :D

MIT ended on 25 July, and then I was in Maine until 4 August.

I'll post more info in my topic...

~Liz

~Liz

MIT ended on 25 July, and then I was in Maine until 4 August.

I'll post more info in my topic...

~Liz

Awesome!

Welcome back!!!

You were missed!!!!!!!!!!

Pictures... we want pictures!!! :)