Hampsterdance Discussion Board

what happens...

erm, horatio, what happens when your hammie suddenly starts attacking you, refusing to go in his wheel, refusing to go into the little house in his cage and tries to open the door of his cage??

He feels threatened. Have you changed anything? I will be back with some ideas. I am going to research this a bit.

erm, horatio, what happens when your hammie suddenly starts attacking you, refusing to go in his wheel, refusing to go into the little house in his cage and tries to open the door of his cage??

He feels threatened. Have you changed anything? I will be back with some ideas. I am going to research this a bit.

not really. we moved his cage to another room....could it be that??

• 2 weeks later...
horatio, have you looked into this yet??

Yes, I am. I do know that hamsters have extremely bad eyesight, and sometimes there are things that scare them, but I have been unable to find an answer as no one is able to determine the reason for your hammie's actions.

As far as your hammie not going into his house, there is nothing you can do to make him go into the spot where you want him to go. He will pick that. I have one hammie, that makes two or three houses her home and I can never figure which one she will pick.

Regarding the attacking part, I would get a ball and begin by placing the ball to your hammie's door and let the hammie get used to going from his cage to the ball and then put the ball up to the cage door and let him go back into his cage without your help. It took one of my hamsters about three weeks to finally decide I was not going to hurt her. Begin by trying this and I will keep researching the problem. :D

Yes, I am. I do know that hamsters have extremely bad eyesight, and sometimes there are things that scare them, but I have been unable to find an answer as no one is able to determine the reason for your hammie's actions.

As far as your hammie not going into his house, there is nothing you can do to make him go into the spot where you want him to go. He will pick that. I have one hammie, that makes two or three houses her home and I can never figure which one she will pick.

Regarding the attacking part, I would get a ball and begin by placing the ball to your hammie's door and let the hammie get used to going from his cage to the ball and then put the ball up to the cage door and let him go back into his cage without your help. It took one of my hamsters about three weeks to finally decide I was not going to hurt her. Begin by trying this and I will keep researching the problem. :D

thanks. the only thing is, she gave birth three days ago. i have a friend with a male hammie and we left them together for an hour. is that it??

thanks. the only thing is, she gave birth three days ago. i have a friend with a male hammie and we left them together for an hour. is that it??

If your hamster just gave birth, LEAVE HER ALONE!!!!!!!!! She is protecting her young. Put her food in the cage and leave her alone. Put the cage in a place where it us relatively dark and very little noise and people. She needs her space to take care of her babies.

On another note, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER put two hammies together (male and female) unless your intent is to have babies. You will need to make arrangements to find someone to take these hamsters when they reach three to four weeks. If you do not, you will end up with one millions hamsters and as they get older they will fight. Call the pet shops and let them know the hammies are only three days old. They might take care of the mother and her babies while you are on holiday and then keep the babies.

Good luck. You cannot wait until you get back. Try to find a pet store that will take them now or agree to take them when you return. If they agree to take the hammies when you return then your brother can feed and water them while you are on holiday. But you will need to tell your brother to leave the hammies alone and not play with them for a couple of weeks.

• 4 weeks later...

If your hamster just gave birth, LEAVE HER ALONE!!!!!!!!! She is protecting her young. Put her food in the cage and leave her alone. Put the cage in a place where it us relatively dark and very little noise and people. She needs her space to take care of her babies.

On another note, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER put two hammies together (male and female) unless your intent is to have babies. You will need to make arrangements to find someone to take these hamsters when they reach three to four weeks. If you do not, you will end up with one millions hamsters and as they get older they will fight. Call the pet shops and let them know the hammies are only three days old. They might take care of the mother and her babies while you are on holiday and then keep the babies.

Good luck. You cannot wait until you get back. Try to find a pet store that will take them now or agree to take them when you return. If they agree to take the hammies when you return then your brother can feed and water them while you are on holiday. But you will need to tell your brother to leave the hammies alone and not play with them for a couple of weeks.

kk. my hammie(s) stayed at the friend's house, but i showed her this post, so she made sure they stayed far away. now i am back, the babies are about 3-4 weeks old. are they old enough to give to the pet shop now?? if not, how long do i keep them for?? she is still very protective over them, and not very friendly.we put her pack where she was before, and it is quite dark, cool and shady. we leave her alone and my little brother is surprisingly being very good. he has not disturbed them once or tried to play with they babies

kk. my hammie(s) stayed at the friend's house, but i showed her this post, so she made sure they stayed far away. now i am back, the babies are about 3-4 weeks old. are they old enough to give to the pet shop now?? if not, how long do i keep them for?? she is still very protective over them, and not very friendly.we put her pack where she was before, and it is quite dark, cool and shady. we leave her alone and my little brother is surprisingly being very good. he has not disturbed them once or tried to play with they babies

How many babies did the mother have?

Four to six weeks is a good time depending on how many babies she has had. This is a very important question. Are the ears of the hammie's lying back against the hammie's body or standing up. If the ears have not yet come up, you should not give the hammie's up.

Next, telephone the different pet stores until you find one that will take the babies. Do not take the babies out into the car and search for a pet store. This would be too hard on the mother and babies. When you find a pet store that will take the babies, once they reach another couple of weeks, then pack them up and drop them off there. If you are not sure, then tell the pet store they are the younger of the two. So say they are 3 weeks even if they are 4. Some pet stores take babies way too young. They can't tell the difference. Another thing, is to ask if the pet store sexes the babies. This will keep the babies from having babies.

Four to six weeks is a good time depending on how many babies she has had. This is a very important question. Are the ears of the hammie's lying back against the hammie's body or standing up. If the ears have not yet come up, you should not give the hammie's up.

Next, telephone the different pet stores until you find one that will take the babies. Do not take the babies out into the car and search for a pet store. This would be too hard on the mother and babies. When you find a pet store that will take the babies, once they reach another couple of weeks, then pack them up and drop them off there. If you are not sure, then tell the pet store they are the younger of the two. So say they are 3 weeks even if they are 4. Some pet stores take babies way too young. They can't tell the difference. Another thing, is to ask if the pet store sexes the babies. This will keep the babies from having babies.

sahe had 5 babies. we have found a pet store. he says to bring them when they are 5 months old. is that too long ?? for many reasons??

sahe had 5 babies. we have found a pet store. he says to bring them when they are 5 months old. is that too long ?? for many reasons??

Five months is way too old. The latest I would wait is 2 1/2 to 3 months and that is waiting quite a long time. Quite a bit depends on how big the babies get and how fast they reach their size. With only five babies, they will grow faster then a litter of eleven. Please give me the date you think they were born, to the best of your recollection. This way I will be better able to help you.

Let me know when the hammie's ears pop up. I can help you with the time when it is most appropriate to bring the babies to the pet store.

IMPORTANT QUESTION: Does this pet store sex their hammies? My question is, does the pet store separate the males and the females. If they do not, there will be pregnant baby females if they stay together too long. If they do not separate the males and the females, I would start looking for another pet store. My guess is that your pet store wants the hammies about five weeks, not months. Please do call back and check.

Five months is way too old. The latest I would wait is 2 1/2 to 3 months and that is waiting quite a long time. Quite a bit depends on how big the babies get and how fast they reach their size. With only five babies, they will grow faster then a litter of eleven. Please give me the date you think they were born, to the best of your recollection. This way I will be better able to help you.

Let me know when the hammie's ears pop up. I can help you with the time when it is most appropriate to bring the babies to the pet store.

IMPORTANT QUESTION: Does this pet store sex their hammies? My question is, does the pet store separate the males and the females. If they do not, there will be pregnant baby females if they stay together too long. If they do not separate the males and the females, I would start looking for another pet store. My guess is that your pet store wants the hammies about five weeks, not months. Please do call back and check.

THEY MUST HAVE BEEN born around the 24th or 25th of july.

their ears have not popped up yet

they meant five months but we did find one that stored them in seperate places, and take in babies as young as 1 and a half months

they meant five months but we did find one that stored them in seperate places, and take in babies as young as 1 and a half months

The pet store that separates the sexes is the place to go. Two months is a good age and not older than three months.

Please let me know when the ears pop up. Usually the ears pop up by three to four weeks, so perhaps your hammies were born a bit later in July, could that be?

The pet store that separates the sexes is the place to go. Two months is a good age and not older than three months.

Please let me know when the ears pop up. Usually the ears pop up by three to four weeks, so perhaps your hammies were born a bit later in July, could that be?

they were born near the ver end, and their ears have poped up now

:D Excellent!!! :D

so can i give them to the pet shop now??

The 25th of September would be the earliest. Please take a pic for me first. :D

i am getting them up and onto the computer. did you get the email with all the pics of my cousin and that?? you never replied. only with a chain letter

i am getting them up and onto the computer. did you get the email with all the pics of my cousin and that?? you never replied. only with a chain letter

I thought I sent you a reply saying how beautiful your cousin was?!?!? :unsure:

alas, i never got it. please send it again (alas is my word for today)

Only if you post a pic of your baby hammies! :lol: (j/k... will do!)

you still have not

you still have not

Oh my goodness! I am sorry. I have the attention span of a gnat. I will try and get that done today.

*hides head under bedding*