1. 1. Should I move to Paris?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today was FTD (Flight Training Device) six... and it was stressful. This was a day that I would prefer not to repeat.

Tomorrow is FTD seven, followed by our Procedures Validation on Tuesday. Then a break... perhaps four days. That would be wonderful.

Sounds like you've got your hands full with your training. :blink:

*tackle, glomps*

MEGA WOLLLLLLFFFFFFFFFFFF !!!!!!!!

Training is making me crazy.

Today was one of those days where, no matter how hard you try, you can't do anything right. What a disastrous day. I want to go to bed and pretend it just didn't happen. My schedule comes out later, so I will know what days I am obligated for. Ahhhhh... the life of a pilot in training. :o

That kinda reminds me of a Star Trek episode where one of the characters is doing some training, and placed in a mock situation where she can't win, no matter what she tries.

Oh my... that sounded exactly like my day, except, I imploded. There was no outside help in creating the no-win situation. :lol:

My procedures validation is over. Thank goodness. Now on to the simulator phase. This is where we are in a full motion simulator. This is a little more enjoyable as the simulator acts just like the airplane, except they can simulate an array of emergencies that could not be accomplished in the airplane. So, this week, I am studying at least eight hours a day to be ready to start the next phase.

That is a crazy amount of studying, but at least you'll be in a better simulator now. ^_^

:lol: Better... perhaps, but now they can throw all types of emergencies at us!!! Fire, electrical, hydraulic, flight control...

*screaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmssssssssssssssss... HHHHHHHHHH EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP*

The really great part is the visual. It is really incredible. If you have a flight into Hong Kong, the airport looks exactly like Hong Kong. Any airport in the world. Perhaps not all of them, just the airports big enough to handle the B-777. Day, night, good weather, bad weather... whatever conditions the instructor desires.

That is a crazy amount of studying, but at least you'll be in a better simulator now. ^_^

:lol: Better... perhaps, but now they can throw all types of emergencies at us!!! Fire, electrical, hydraulic, flight control...

*screaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmssssssssssssssss... HHHHHHHHHH EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP*

The really great part is the visual. It is really incredible. If you have a flight into Hong Kong, the airport looks exactly like Hong Kong. Any airport in the world. Perhaps not all of them, just the airports big enough to handle the B-777. Day, night, good weather, bad weather... whatever conditions the instructor desires.

yeah.. my mom works as a technician on a military flight simulator. part of her job is climbing in and making sure everything is working.

yeah.. my mom works as a technician on a military flight simulator. part of her job is climbing in and making sure everything is working.

What a fantastic job your mother has!!! Our simulator technicians are incredible. After the abuse we give those machines, it is amazing to see the technicians come and make them like new. Your mother must be really smart and very talented. I know the people who work on our machines are very talented. Sometimes I wish they weren't so good as we get too many emergencies in a four hour period and it would be nice to have the machine break and give us a break. :lol:

Okay... I have not updated this for a bit, so here goes. We are in the simulator phase and the simulator is amazing. It is too much like the airplane. The graphics are incredible. We did an exercise where there is an airplane coming at us and we have a traffic avoidance program and procedure that keeps us away from other traffic by having us complete a particular maneuver appropriate to the traffic. Well, for some reason, the program was not working. Anyway, the airplane came right at us, I ducked, and then we crashed. WHOA!!!! That was a little more realistic than I cared for. Anyway, we have survived fires, hydraulic problems, pressurization problems and today is day four. Dual engine failure. Well... we only have two engines! Eeeck!!!!

Anyway, I need a break which comes after tonight and we have three days to prepare for the next round of events. I need three days just to sleep.

Will give an update later.

P.S. The simulator does not like crashing.

Overall good news... for now.

My sim went pretty good. My landings were overall great and only a couple of my flows did I have some mind blocks and forgot a switch or two. These are the first officer flows and I won't ever be doing those, but we have to learn them for the course. I am so accustomed to being a captain that I was just sitting there waiting for the "first officer" to do the take-off data, and I was the "first officer". :blush: Oh... that was not a good move.

Then yesterday I went and picked up my new bike. Whoo Hoo! I went from Memphis to Cape Girardeau, Missouri and by the time I arrived, it was raining. After three hours of driving, I was not about to turn around and go home. The rain didn't stop until I was halfway home. The rest of the ride was great and by the time I arrived in Memphis, I was feeling nice and dry and very happy about my new bike.

Pictures to follow later today!

Sound really interesting. These things are very relaistic nowadays.

I hope you had some nice weather now for riding the new bike.

Reminds me to ride mine as long as it possible- soon I'll have to prepare it for "sleeping" one year. :(

Maybe I'll find a jackaroo job in Australia- riding an enduro bike and earning money at the same time. Would be great.

The bike is amazing!!! It is so much fun to ride. The big problem is that the weather has been so perfect for riding, the roads are dry with no leaves and there is no limit to the amount of curvy, twisty roads just waiting for being explored... but I am supposed to be studying. :( My maneuvers evaluation is on Monday. I really don't like having to take simulator evaluations and this one is crucial. This exam is followed a week later with another exam. The exam on Monday judges maneuvers. The exam the following Monday evaluates you in the line operating environment.

A jackaroo job... now that would be a really fun job. Riding an enduro would be a job where you always want to go to work.

I'm sure you will find a great place in Australia for living quarters. Once you get down there, your colleagues will help you find a terrific place to live. I am so excited for you and this upcoming experience. You are going to have the most amazing journey.

Update...

Last night was my Maneuvers Validation. Passed it. Glad that is over. My next checkride is in a week. We have a couple simulator events, this will introduce us to what is called ETOPS flying, which is long range flights, and then we have what is called a LOFT and then our final checkride. This is followed by our IOE. This is called Initial Operating Experience. The flights will be between Memphis and somewhere in China, Japan or other destinations far off.

Now for a couple days off.

Yeah!!!

So... yesterday was what is called an ETOPS Spot. This is where they teach you about extended range flying where there is not a really close airport. That went okay. Today was something called our DLOFT. It is a domestic flight that is similar to our checkride tomorrow night. Anyway, our checkride has a showtime of 19H00 local time tomorrow evening and should be over about midnight, followed by a debrief and a course called differences training. Phew! I cannot wait until it is all over. This training has been too long. My first airplane trip is scheduled for the 5th of October. I am pretty excited. We fly from Memphis to Anchorage, layover for 24 hours. The next leg leaves from Anchorage to Incheon (Seoul), Korea, with another 24 hour layover. The we fly from Incheon (Seoul) to Hong Kong... layover again, but this time we have 76 hours in Hong Kong. Sweet!!!! Of course, I will be taking my camera, so hopefully pictures for all when I return.

But first... please wish me luck on the checkride tomorrow. It is pretty stressful and I just want to pass and move on to the next phase.

Yeah!!! The checkride is over and we passed. Great news!!!

Now we are on to the actual airplane. I am pretty happy with the fact that simulator training is over as it was pretty stressful. The airplane training is not as stressful as the simulator. You are still training, but this is actual flying, actual line operations and this segment of training is much more enjoyable. After my flight, I take another couple checkrides and then I am free to fly as captain with a real crew.

I am really looking forward to this!!!

Keep you posted.

Hmm, I'm considering making a motorcycle a major mode of transportation for me. Wouldn't happen until after I get a job, and it wouldn't be super immediate... but I'm definitely considering it.

OUTSTANDING !!!!!!!

A definite must is taking the motorcycle safety course given in your area. I don't know the rules in California, but in Florida it is required. This course teaches you to ride and at the end, you take the motorcycle test and the endorsement is added onto your license. It also gives you a discount on your insurance. If they state does not require it, I urge you to take it. The best thing you can do.

There are a couple other things I will ask you to do, to ride safely, but I am so excited, this would be phenomenal and you would absolutely love it.

It's a 2002 Sebring convertible, the problem was the back window(glass) detached on the bottom, so there's quite a gap. So, I'm getting that checked to see if there can be an easy fix, but apparently it's most likely going to cost about $900, to get the whole top replaced because it's stretched away from the window. Eh. I'm glad my parents can afford to get it fixed.

Duct tape... :lol:

The good thing is the now duct tape comes in a wide variety of colours!!!!!!

Now you can pick the colour that best matches your car...

Ooooh camo! You definitely want camo duct tape. XD

:lol: Camo is big in the Memphis area. :lol:

Camo, green and brown were all sold out. You will have to get in line for the camo colour.

Time to update everyone on the training flight...

Flew from Memphis, Tennessee to Anchorage, Alaska. Very interesting first time in the B-777. This is such an incredible airplane and what a great flight we had. We arrived in Anchorage for a 26 hour layover. The weather was on the cool side, but nice and clear. We went out for dinner and then a good night's sleep before our next leg.

The next day we flew from Anchorage to Incheon, (Seoul), Korea. Our route of flight took us over Russia. We did not get much of a view as there was lots of cloud cover. After about seven hours, we arrived in a very smoggy Incheon. The ride to the hotel took over an hour, for another 26 hour layover. One of the First Officer's and I wandered around through the local market and it was totally amazing. Pictures to follow. After the layover, we headed out for a short, three and one-half hour, flight to Hong Kong. We are here for 72 hours and what a terrific layover. This is quite exciting as I have been wandering around taking in the sights! Totally incredible. At 20H00 (8 p.m.) the city has a laser light show to music. All the buildings are lit up, synchronized to the different songs. How amazing. I took a short video and wish that I could show it. Tonight I plan on taking some still pictures to post tomorrow. Tomorrow is our last day before heading home. We are alerted about one hour before we are to show in the lobby, and this will be approximately 18H00 for the call.

My checkride will be on the fifteen plus ride home. That will be a very, very long flight. There are two crews, due to the length of the flight, and we each get some sleep time in the crew rest area on the airplane. The flight is scheduled to operate from Hong Kong to Memphis.

Pictures will be posted later or tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, I have not reported much, so here are some updates. Hercule has a tumor and tomorrow he is scheduled for surgery. I have mixed feelings about surgery, but it is getting really big and located on the forward part of his chest. My little friend really must have surgery and I am worried about him. The veterinarian is really good, and last week he removed a large tumor from a rat, and the rat pulled though okay, so I am hoping for the best.

A couple of years ago I was given a book called The Mouse Guard, Fall 1152, by David Petersen. I'm not sure if anyone is into graphic comics, other than manga, but this is a very talented writer and artist with an amazing story. There is a role playing game that goes along with the story line and that also is fun. The best part about the Mouse Guard RPG is that you play it at home with the family and friends and play in a span of two to four hours, with about six to eight people. We have played with four people and had a fantastic time. The story line in the Mouse Guard, has now expanded from Fall 1152, into Winter 1152 and The Black Axe is the next step of the storyline. There is a Legends of the Guard adn this is also really amazing. If you have not read it, I encourage you to pick up the book or all six of the graphic comics in each series.

My little "Herky" passed away this morning. He went into the veterinarian's office for surgery and when they had sedated him, the Doctor realized that there were additional tumors and more specifically, a tumor on his liver. We decided not to let him suffer, so while he was sedated, we had him put to sleep. I am so, so sad. *cries*

R.I.P. Herky,

You will be missed!

P1000293.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What a wonderful Christmas I had... quiet, no snow in Memphis and just a total relaxing day.

For Christmas I received a fantastic book by David Petersen, part of The Mouse Guard series, called Legends Of The Guard, plus an original pen and ink drawing by the same author/illustrator that is now hanging over the fireplace. This author/illustrator is amazing and extremely talented. The story line starts in fall of 1152, with six parts, then proceeds into the winter of 1152, in another six parts. If you have not read graphic comics, this is one author you need to try. I bought the books that combined all six issues into one. Look for The Mouse Guard, Fall 1152 and The Mouse Guard, Winter 1152 to start, now those two are being followed by The Black Axe, which has just started with the first of six issues. Legends Of The Guard is a book that has a number of artists/illustrators where stories are being told.

Anyway... here is the artwork I received...

Mouse Art 2010.jpg

I took the photograph with my phone and will it is not the greatest, but I was in a hurry to get it posted here.

Here is his holiday art that he put on his website...

holidays.jpg

Hope everyone had a great day!!!

Thank you soooooo much!!!

Try reading David Petersen's first group of books, The Mouse Guard Fall 1152.

Located under the graphic comic section of your book store or visit your local comic book store.

The artwork is phenomenal, the storyline amazing and I totally recommend this author!!!!

My Christmas was nice and quiet. :) Horst ate all the ornaments off his tree. Cashews, almonds, walnuts, blueberries, pecans, cranberries and a cherry to name a few ornaments. He trampled the tree to reach all the ornaments. I was quite happy he didn't start eating the tree, so I could live with a crushed fake tree. At least it will be easier to store until next year. :lol:

We are celebrating the Christmas holiday later this week. On Christmas I made an awesome turkey soup and ate far too much of it.

Had a starving artist friend of mine paint the bathroom and it really looked bad. I now know why he is starving. His artwork is awful. And the paint job he did in the bathroom is even worse. So... today I painted over the old paint with plain old white. Now the bathroom looks incredible!!! Whoo Hoo!!!

Had a starving artist friend of mine paint the bathroom and it really looked bad. I now know why he is starving. His artwork is awful. And the paint job he did in the bathroom is even worse. So... today I painted over the old paint with plain old white. Now the bathroom looks incredible!!! Whoo Hoo!!!

Haha, oh my. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, it has been too long since I have updated my topic.

:blush::blush::blush:

Well, here I sit in Shanghai, after eating a delicious breakfast of too many of the wrong things. There was a myriad of scrumptous baked goods, little chocolate muffins that melted in your mouth, croissants, breads, pastries... not necessarily the most nutritious, but certainly the most tasty. I really indulging in these treats. In a couple hours, I intend on paying dearly for this indulgence with a good workout on the treadmill, octane machine and bike. If I had my swimsuit with me, I would most certainly do a number of laps in the pool.

It's been raining here. When we arrived last night, it was rainy, windy and the agent who met us, told us they were predicting snow today. Hopefully not. I am not up for leaving a couple hours early to sit in traffic for three hours, just to get to the airport. So, perhaps we will be lucky. And, no, if it snows, we don't get to stay an extra day... we go anyway. Just as soon as they plow the runway.

Will post some pictures from my hotel room when I get back home. For got to bring my cable that hooks the camera to the laptop.

We departed Shanghai, China yesterday and met up with another of our flights. The airplane you see in the photographs, departed Hong Kong, and we flew with a couple miles of each other, for almost ten hours. In these photographs, they were 1000 feet above us.

FedEx Flt 98 - 1.jpg FedEx Flt 98 - 5.jpg

FedEx Flt 98 - 6.jpg

FedEx Flt 98 -7.jpg

FedEx Flt 98 - 8.jpg

Finally getting better. I am up, out of bed and back on the computer trying to make up a week and one-half of school. Tomorrow, I start an eight day trip: Newark, Anchorage, Narita, Seoul, Hong Kong and finally back to Memphis. Hope this cold does not try and make a resurgence.

I'm bringing my camera, so hopefully great pictures to follow!!!

Here I am in Newark, trying to go to sleep. We leave for Anchorage at 04H00. Ten hours from now. If I can't sleep, it is going to be one l-o-n-n-n-n-n-n-g flight.

No worthwhile pictures from Newark today, perhaps tomorrow we will have some outstanding pictures from Anchorage. :)

We departed Shanghai, China yesterday and met up with another of our flights. The airplane you see in the photographs, departed Hong Kong, and we flew with a couple miles of each other, for almost ten hours. In these photographs, they were 1000 feet above us.

post-678-0-78312200-1296348372_thumb.jpg post-678-0-55358600-1296348394_thumb.jpg

post-678-0-07342200-1296348432_thumb.jpg

post-678-0-92671400-1296348452_thumb.jpg

post-678-0-97507600-1296348474_thumb.jpg

These are so cool Horatio!

FedEx Flt 98 - 1.jpg FedEx Flt 98 - 5.jpg

FedEx Flt 98 - 6.jpg

FedEx Flt 98 -7.jpg

FedEx Flt 98 - 8.jpg

These are so cool Horatio!

Thank you. You take phenomenal photographs, so I appreciate your post.

It would have been much better if we were side by side or if I had a view from above down on the other airplane. Perhaps another day.

Okay... time for an update. Kind of a disgusting one. Well, we got to Shenzhen with a fifty hour layover. I decided to have dinner in the hotel and headed down to the dinner buffett. Had a few oysters, a couple mussels and one scallop. Ate some veggies, drank some green tea and had ice cream for dessert. Headed back up to my room to settle in. The only television worth watching was a choice between BBC news and Bloomberg. I chose Bloomberg. After a shower, I relaxed a bit, read and then headed off to Sleepy Town.

)(*#&*()(*&$^@*#)

WHAT????????????

Oh my... food poisoning!!!!!!!!

Now I was sick. I mean really, really sick.

The night was spent trying to decide if dying was a better option.

You cannot drink the water from the tap. I had gone through my water and there were some bottles on the counter, but I was too weak to open them. This was awful. I was sick for almost twelve hours. At one point I was so sick that I hit my chest against the toilet bowl and cracked my sternum. Now, not only was my stomach in turmoil, but my chest was in pain. As I started to feel a little better I realized that I was getting a caffeine headache. I took another shower and headed down to the restaurant. I tried to eat a couple slices of dry bread, but that didn't work and the coffee had an even worse taste, so I headed back to my room. All day was iffy. Later in the day, I managed to get dressed and went with the Bell Hop Lady, whose name was Lucy, to the local pharmacy. I opted for aspirin. When you cannot read the box and you have no idea what you are taking, Bayer Aspirin, seemed like the best choice. Well, I was not in my room for more than a couple hours and realized, the aspirin was not going to work. So, I called Lucy again and asked her to please get me something for my stomach. It was acting like a volcano about to erupt. She returned with a box of little vials and told me to drink two and about four hours later, take two more. UCK!!!! This was the nastiest stuff I have ever injested. But, I figured I had no other options. Well, within an hour, I started to feel a little better and by the four hour mark, I felt that I was good enough to skip the next dose, but Lucy told me to make sure that I took the second dose. I did. By the next morning, I felt much, much better. For breakfast I had six pieces of dry toast and some coffee. It has been a week, and I am only starting to feel better when it comes to food. At least I was feeling good enough to fly home.

And that is my China story.

At least one month before I can get back to doing strenuous things. :(

I guess I won't be able to work... just carrying my luggage up the stairs to the airplane is pretty strenuous. :lol:

And I pack light! :o It is the laptop, camera equipment and all the cables, chargers, etc. that weigh a bit, and you cannot go anywhere without them!

More important than clothes!!! But, I do not believe that this would be an acceptable reason to call in sick. :rolleyes:

You are right! My 17" Mac Book Pro is too heavy. I am planning on buying a Mac Book Air or the new iPad when it comes out late in June. The delivery date was supposed to be in April, but there has been a delay and will not be out for sale until June. If the iPad was a computer, I would love it. Of course, typing on a keyboard is easier than typing on the screen. I can type by feel and if your fingers are slightly off, you just adjust for the feel of the key. There is not of that on the screen keyboard.

Only a couple more months of carrying heavy electronics.

My camera weighs a ton, and I carry three lenses to use with it. I got a Coolpix for Valentine's Day, but this does not take the pictures that I look to take, so now I have one more camera to carry.

I am trying to figure out what to leave home.

Tough...

So... I am back home.

My chest hurts like crazy. Kind of a dull pain. This is annoying because I am limited as to what I can do. No working out, no running, no, no, no, no, noooooooooooooo. *cries*

Well, here is the scenario from my ride home to Florida.

Got out of the house and by the time I collected all my stuff, my bag weighed about one hundred and eighty million pounds. Then I had to take a couple plants that were growing like crazy, and were too big for the window, and wrap them up. They needed to be protected in such a way that they could go through security, the baggage screener, in the airplane, out the baggage screener, and into the car, kind of wrapping. Took care of that and the plants looked very strange. Now I get to the airport, meet the crew, ask for a ride and am seated in the airplane, bags stowed, ready for the trip home. Totally uneventful. Arrive in Orlando and head out to the car. When I get there, I have a dead battery. Dave, the mechanic, jumps the battery and drives off. As soon as I turn on my lights, the car is dead. Flagging down another employee, I try again to jump the battery, but this time, nothing is going to work. I head back inside, locate Dave and we decide that I need to purchase a new battery. Taking the mechanic's truck, I head for AutoZone, which, fortunately, is not too far away. There is a big sign in the window... Free Tool Lending Program. Wonderful!!! The guy offers me three choices of batteries... 69.99, 89.99 or 99.99... 3, 5 or 7 year free replacement guarantee. No use skimping... I go for the big dog!!! Then I ask about the Free Tool Lending Program. The guy says "Not now... we are going to close in an hour. But I can sell you the tools you need." No thanks. I am not spending 200 dollars on tools for a 100 dollar battery. Then there is a core charge that means that I need to return the battery to him. Blah, blah, blah. Not in too much of a mood for this. Head back to the ramp, return the truck and beg for assistance to change my battery. The mechanics were phenomenal. Need to bring them a big bag of cookies and treats when I head back out. Anyway, they had it changed in no time, put the old battery in my trunk and off I go. Of course, the SunPass has a dead battery, so now I have to battle long lines at the toll booths. Aaaaaarggghhhh. Of course, the traffic is way, way more than I feel like dealing with, don't forget, we have all these people coming in for the shuttle launch today. Anyway, finally I pull into my driveway. Well, the plants are overgrown and it makes navigating up my driveway more like a course for stunt car drivers. But I am home. :) I collect my mail, get into the house and what a mess. The guys are still removing paint from the ceiling. I thought this job was finished. All the lights that are on timers, the light bulbs are burnt out. The house is totally dark. The contractor assured me that he replaced all the light bulbs. Oh well. The place is a mess. I turn on the hot water heater and prepare to go through about six months of mail. Finally after a shower, I plan on watching a little of the tele, then head to bed. But no, I have to call these people to reset the box. Grrrrrr. Nothing is easy. I get the service reset and my favorite channel, Bloomberg, is unavailable. *cries* this means that I have to deal with this tomorrow. Ouch, my head hurts. I needed to get on the internet, so I will just get those things accomplished. But, this is not to happen... I need a WPA password. WHAT?????? I have no clue what this password is because I always had it saved. Now I call the company back and I am on hold for forty-five minutes before I hang up from frustration. I guess I won't be getting on the internet. My decision is just to read until I am sleepy. At least with a book, it cannot die from lack of electricity or be unavailable due to a lack of connection. Mouse Guard... I read this book again. David Petersen is a genius!!! I have read this book a zillion times and it does not matter how many times I read it or how many times I look at the art, it just gets better every time I open it.

Today I wake up, throw on some summer clothes, and head out for breakfast and a good internet connection. The launch is at 16H50 and I plan on being home. The traffic is going to be a nightmare and I really don't feel like dealing with it. My list for today is long and I need to get as much done as possible before the cable guy comes at 15H00. I was planning on heading to Memphis tomorrow morning, but I plan on staying down here to get everything done. Lowe's will be my first stop, then the car wash. Today, hopefully I will have some fantastic pictures of the launch to show you. If I am able, I will take a movie and some stills.

That about covers it.

It was.

I'm happy now!!! The cable guy was here, replaced the corroded thingys that were limiting my cable, I found my password for the airport and I am wandering around the internet sitting on my bed. Life is good!!!

The launch was spectacular!!! This was the last flight of the Discovery Shuttle. As soon as I sort through the zillion plus photographs I took, I will post some.

There will be an award if someone can tell me what they see...

Guess what #1.jpg

and no, you cannot answer tree branches and leaves.

There is something more and you have to tell me exactly what you see and where it is located.

I almost goofed and had the name of what it was, so I had to go back in and edit the name. :lol:

So, here I sit in Shanghai, waiting to fly home this evening. Today I wandered around the city. Taxicabs are very, very inexpensive. To go across town, the equivalent of Wall Street on Manhattan all the way up to almost Harlem, costs only about three dollars. :o So, this makes hoping into a taxi, so very, very easy.

Yesterday I went wandering around the shopping district, ate dinner in a local place and had some "wild" dishes. One was listed on the menu as Guts. This was truly interesting and very delicious. Of course, I did not ask to whom or what the guts belonged. There was shrimp on a stick, a vegetable plate, ribs with a great herb rub on them and of course rice. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Sometimes it is exactly that. I go out there and talk to the birds, so they know my voice. One day the plumber wanted to see the owls and walked out there with me, when we got close, the father moved to a tree very close to where we were standing, and just started staring down at us. The plumber felt really uncomfortable and went back to his truck. I talked to the owl and it looked at me, then flew back to his perch watching over his babies. These owls grow to about four feet six inches tall, with a six foot wing span.

Okay... I am really, really MAD!!!!!!!

Today I knew that I should have waited in line for the new iPad 2, but no, I had too many errands to run, so I got there around noon. Anyway, when I got up to the door, they were out of the AT&T versions. GRRRRRRRRR! How could they run out of the AT&T iPads???? How????? They had a zillion Verizon versions still remaining, but no one wanted those... so anyway, I did not get mine today. Tomorrow I will be in Seattle and hopefully I can get one on Sunday at the Seattle Apple Store.

Where is that great horned owl when I need him or her? Those talons would come in handy when I needed to grab one of those iPads. :lol:

I am in Seattle and plan to head out to the Apple Store today. Wish me luck!

On Thursday I am heading for Japan. :o The news last night talked about the nuclear power plant having a meltdown, and I am fairly certain that radiation leaked... nope there is nothing still floating around in the air by the time I get there.

:( How old was Horst?

Over four years old. He was the greatest little friend. He loved the ball more than any other hamster I have ever had. He would chart a course of circles around the sofa, almost always the same direction and if we let him, he would stay in the ball until it was time to go to sleep. We would take him out and put him in his cage for a drink of water, then he would do the 'Horst Dance" asking to be put back in the ball. Sometimes he would do figure eights around both sofas. Horst pulled through surgery and was doing even better than before. It was amazing how much better he was moving. But a few months in human life is eons in a hamster's life and he started slowing down. Last night we fed Horst his Super Mealworms, Mimolette and Cheddar cheese pieces, a little piece of lettuce and some organic nuts.

He passed away in his sleep.

Ohhh... my heart hurts so much.

My apologies for side-tracking on what should have been a three word answer.

I appreciate your understanding.

By the way Lexxy... I just returned from Seattle. Wandered around downtown, bought some fish, lavendar and bread from Pike's Place market, overall had a great couple days as I ducked into Tully's for a cup of coffee and missed the downpour and then had a phenomenal dinner at a place called Tulio's. This superb Italian restaurant is only two blocks from our hotel. King County has one of the most incredible library systems in the United States and the best used bookstores. In retrospect, a great two days and hope I can return soon!

Thank you.

What I find so incredible are the different personalities of each of these wonderful little creatures. Some people think hamsters are just rodents, and cannot see past their perceptions. I see some really incredible little friends who can add so much to your life. For example, rats are extremely intelligent. You can train them to come when you call their name, do little tricks and really show their wonderful personalities. Yet, the majority of people really don't like rats or give them any credit.

Ohhh... I am rambling.

It does not seem too bad here, but I chose to stay in the hotel. I let the other guys go out at night. We had a blackout for four hours, so I took a nap. Then I decided to take another nap which continued into a long night's sleep. Now it is before the restaurant opens and I am hungry and want some coffee. Thirty minutes... I can wait.

We leave here in the afternoon for Shanghai, China.

Excellent excuse!!!

Except for the fact that I woke up with three and possibly a fourth aftershock. One lasted pretty long. :o And we were about 150 miles away from Sendai.

We are here in Shanghai. The weather is rainy, foggy and on the cool side. We leave in two days. Let's hope that the weather improves. It is no fun walking around the city in the rain.

More rain here... leaving the Shanghai hotel in about one hour for the trip home to Memphis.

This was an interesting day. The First Officer and I went to the 'fake' market yesterday and he was returning a toy helicopter that did not work... from one year ago!!!!! :o He only paid twenty dollars for it and decided that the guy had 'stolen' from him. Anyway, the police were called and I thought the First Officer was going to get arrested. Instead, the police were yelling at the shop keeper. Anyway, Mike, the shop keeper, told the police that if he returned today with the business card where he wrote a one year guarantee, that he would honour it. The First Officer did not want to carry around the broken helicopter anymore, so he left it in the hall near the shop. When he changed his mind, we went back and it was gone. I figured that Mike, the shop keeper, picked it up.

Today we headed back to the market. When we walked into the market, there was the broken helicopter, on the shelf for sale. :lol: Mike decided that he was not going to honour the card that the First Officer had from a year ago, so the police were called again. Two of the police that were there the day before showed up again. The other two, who spoke English, were off. So, two other English speaking police arrived and more yelling occurred. I thought we were going to really get arrested today, but after about one and one-half hours, the First Officer left with thirteen dollars. He was happy.

We left and by the time I got back to the hotel, I was worn out.

It has rained all day.

I can travel around the world, but not be able to connect to the internet in China!!!!

HORRORS!!!!!!!!!

You have no idea just how much I missed you guys!!!

About a couple hours ago, I arrived back in Memphis and the first thing I did was to connect to you all here.

A couple pictures to entertain you...

Smoggy Mt.jpg

Mount Fuji in a terribly smoggy day.

Sunset Approaching Shanghai 2.jpg

A sunset at altitude before we arrived in Shanghai.

Hong Kong ramp.jpg

This is the ramp in Hong Kong, taken from the airplane front entry door.

Hong Kong ramp 2.jpg

Another photograph looking at the main cargo door.

Hong Kong ramp 3.jpg

Last picture of the ramp.

So... of all the idiot moves I have accomplished in my life, this one has to top the list.

Garbage Can: 1

Horatio: 0

Yup, you guessed it, I had an altercation with my garbage can! And before you ask, yes, I ended up inside the garbage can. This garbage can is not one of those little wimpy things, we are talking the big dog, indestructible, does not even back down to the garbage truck type of garbage can. Usually I pull my garbage can along behind me, but for some reason I was pushing it. All of a sudden, I was in it. That fast! My head hit the top part, my knees hit the bottom part and I was propelled into the can.

Well, I have a rather large area of swelling on the top of my head, with a golf-ball sized bump. My knees look like they have softball sized knee caps and there is lots of bruises.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

So... here I am at home waiting for all the boo-boos to go away.

This picture seemed a little interesting, so I decided to post it.

The sun had an this ameoba like ring around it due to the haze.

Sun.jpg

Here are some baked goods called Coco Teddys...

Coco Teddy\'s.jpg

And then a little shiny visitor who was not too happy about being in the house...

Shiny Visitor.jpg

He was easy to pick up and put outside. Once he was back down on the dirt, he seemed quite happy to be back in his natural habitat.

That's all for now.

The sun is so pretty~ and those coco-teddies look tasty @______@

I'm glad the lizard was safe!

Thank you for the comment on the sun photograph. The sun did look so beautiful!

Those coco-teddy's tasted amazing!!! Quite yummy! Glad I only purchased one. And those were Hong Kong dollars which were about 7.7 to one US dollar. So, that tasty treat cost just under 1.00.

I love lizards and would have really liked it if he was able to live inside, but I would have been sad if he died, so back to nature he went. :(

It is an absolutely amazing day here in Cambridge, England. Sunny, warm, lovely spring day. We were scheduled to be here for 98 hours and now they have extended it another day. Our layover is now 122 hours. The weather, which is usually rainy and cold, even in summer, is absolutely gorgeous, and supposed to continue through the weekend! In Cambridge there is an amazing university structure. Wth this comes a zillion museums, art galleries and cultural events. I am really excited to be here for such a long layover.

Pictures to follow in a couple days.

The weather has made this trip absolutely phenomenal. We went to the aviation museum today and that was so much fun. Took lots of photographs, but I do not think that they will come out as well as I would like due to the lighting in the museum. Hopefully I will get one or two good ones.

Looking forward to another great day tomorrow. I am out for another long walk around the city.

There is a ton of royal wedding stuff already hitting the stores. :o. Personally I cannot get that excited over a wedding where I do not know the people getting married. But that is just me. The amount of stuff for sale is overwhelming... cups, mugs, all sorts of paper memorabilia, place mats, commerative high dollar plates, and the list goes on and on. I would not feel too comfortable eating dinner with their two faces staring up at me. And no, I will not be purchasing any of this stuff. :lol:

Today I walked until I was so tired that I was yawning. At the moment I am having a couple cups of coffee before heading back to the hotel. Tomorrow evening we head back to Memphis.

And for other news, Japan had another earthquake today. An inland aftershock, so no chance of a tsunami. My heart goes out to all these poor people.

Back in Memphis. We brought the wonderful weather with us!!!

It is going to be a couple of days before I get the pictures posted. The laptop is getting a new hard drive and new RAM. It will be like a brand new computer! My laptop should be back home Friday afternoon. :)