Hampsterdance Discussion Board

Best friend of horatio club!

PARIS !!!!!  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Should I move to Paris?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know.

Nice picture. The red squirrels are common here. However, in some regions the grey ones are spreading as invasive animals and outcompete the native red ones.

I love those red squirrels. How did the grey ones get over there? Now if they could just get together and have a grey and red spotted squirrel with the fuzzy ears. Wouldn't that be cute. :lol:

The same thing is happening in Florida, but with the chameleons. Some crazy Cuban brought over a million plus of the Cuban brown lizards and they are wiping out the native chameleon population. Pretty sad. The chameleons are wonderful and it is really great to watch them change colour to adapt to the vegetation they are crawling on.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, other people would consider the red ones as boring. They occur in almost whole Europe and Russia, and also in parts of Asia and even on the Japanese island Hokkaido. The gray ones occur in the USA and parts of Canada. They also built up invasive populations in Great Britain, Ireland and Italy and I also have seen them rarely here in Germany. So since they are still very rare over here (even the invasive parakeets and also racoons are much more common :lol: ), they are quite interesting.

It is considered that the gray ones are more competetive in decidous and mixed forests whereas the red ones are more competitive in coniferous forests. So the gray ones will probably outcompete the red squirrels in most parts of southern and central Europe whereas the the red ones will still find their niche for example in northern Europe and Russia. In England they try to prevent this by excessively shooting the gray squirrels. However, history showed that humans never were able to prevent spreading of invasive animals and plants. :rolleyes:

Thank you for that information. I had no idea. Of course, it is the humans that started the invasions by relocating the animals or plants, then some other human decides to attempt to eradicate them, or at least spread their growth, but the humans always fail.

For example, Brazilian Pepper Trees were imported to Florida. The birds eating the berries spread these trees like wildfire. You try as much as you can and they are almost impossible to get rid of, short of digging a big hole in the ground to remove all the roots, which is, of course, not doable. Another problem is the Japanese Carp. Some crazy human turned some of them loose in one of the fresh water canals and they managed to get into the everglades. That is the worst fiasco ever because all the native fish are disappearing at such an alarming rate that the ecologists are worried about the vegetation situation. The native fish would control the vegetation problem, whereas the Carp don't eat it. There is also a similar problem in the Great Lakes where they are trying all sorts of methods to keep the Carp out, but it is not happening.

Humans... we are the only species that will destroy this wonderful planet.

Marmots are funny. I've seen them in the Alps. Amazing how fast they are disappearing when you are approaching. :lol:

Please take a picture... I am going through riding withdrawal. So perhaps I can share in your enjoyment.

Just have a look into my thread. ;)

Marmots are funny. I've seen them in the Alps. Amazing how fast they are disappearing when you are approaching. :lol:

Please take a picture... I am going through riding withdrawal. So perhaps I can share in your enjoyment.

Just have a look into my thread. ;)

I looked in your thread and became jealous! LOL What a ride you must have had! Thank you for the pictures.

Most of our squirrels are gray, but a neighboring town has a large population of black squirrels, which are pretty cool. Every once in awhile one wanders onto our campus, and everyone makes a huge deal out of it. :rolleyes:

A black squirrel... how beautiful! I wish we had some black squirrels as well.

D: I wish we had awesome squirrels like that. Ours are just brown and boring.

GRRRRRRRR... I like brown squirrels!

*runs off in search of my shiny Claymore*

There's nothing wrong with the brown ones, I just wish we had some variety.

D: I wish we had awesome squirrels like that. Ours are just brown and boring.

GRRRRRRRR... I like brown squirrels!

*runs off in search of my shiny Claymore*

There's nothing wrong with the brown ones, I just wish we had some variety.

Okay... just checking. The squirrels are my cousins, so I have to protect family. :lol:

Great news!!!!!!!!! And no, it has nothing to do whatsoever with my ankle.

The Great Horned Owls have decided to return to the Osprey nest. Unfortunately the owls have evicted the ospreys from their nest. :( But this is the photo opportunity of a lifetime. When they camp out in the front yard, I get so excited. It was a few years ago when the owls had stopped in to have their babies. Now they have returned. But luckily for all of us, I have the new digital camera. Excited just doesn't cover how much I am looking forward to taking these pictures. Hopefully you will have some great pictures to view. The babies are sooooooo cute. Fuzzy, little, well, not really little, feathery, adorable owl babies. Of course, the mother and father are lurking very close by. These owls are so good at blending in with the tree branches, that you are surprised when you actually see the parent and know that this is a four foot owl that is hidden in plain sight. Totally amazing. Perhaps I will get some incredible pictures for us all to view.

Four feet tall??? That's huge! Don't get eaten! :rolleyes:

I stay in hiding when I know they are hungry! :lol:

The Great Horned Owl has an adult wing span of up to six feet. Their talons grab rats, mice and squirrels. They have been known to pick up cats and dogs. :o

Here is a National Geographic picture of the face of a Great Horned Owl.

Great Horned Owl.jpg

That is one fierce focused bird!

I LOVE National Geographic photos. If I could pick any way to make a living, being a National Geographic photographer would be it.

You do have the opportunity to have one of your pictures placed in their magazine. Go to their site, register, then look for the photography contest. You can enter one photograph to be considered. I am really hoping that I will get a great owl picture. *crosses paws*

O: The owl pictures will be sweet! I can't wait to see them!

I'm getting excited myself. It would be really great if there are two owl babies. When there is more than one, they sort of play together and that would make for some outstanding pictures.

That would be so cute! X3

I went searching back in this topic... whoa it is looooooongggggggggg, because I thought I had posted pictures of the last owl babies. But, I am only up to page 175. Ugh. Just have to wait for the new pictures to arrive. :D

Horatio, do you already know the video "BMW S1000 RR. Dinner for RR."? If not, check it out on youtube. :lol:

I have seen most of the you tube S1000RR videos that BMW put out... I am off to check it out.

Outstanding!!!!!!!!!! 777,246 views!!!!!!!!! I loved it!

Thanks!

I went searching back in this topic... whoa it is looooooongggggggggg, because I thought I had posted pictures of the last owl babies. But, I am only up to page 175. Ugh. Just have to wait for the new pictures to arrive. :D

Might I make a suggestion? :rolleyes:

post-1041-126822040692_thumb.jpg

Might I make a suggestion? :rolleyes:

I appreciate the suggestion, but I had tried the advanced option and nothing turned up. :(

It is probably due to the fact that I am not using the search function properly. If you have any more ideas, I will take all the help and suggestions you can offer.

I would have just typed owl into the regular search box and hit enter.

For some reason, I thought I replied to this. :wacko:

I did type owl, then owls, horned owl, horned owls, great owl, etc. Nothing worked for me. :(

Please try and see if you have better luck. Then if you could get a date off the post, or post number, that would put me in the right area.

Thanks!

Huh, it only seems to be returning more recent posts from your topic.

Exactly the problem I was having.

At the moment, I am struggling with writing papers in the APA format (WHAT?????????? :o ) and for all those teachers who are not Mac, changing my format into the Microsoft Junk also know as Word.

I feel like I am going crazy. :wacko:

Oh, that's not so hard. Chances are it's times new roman, 12pt font, 1 inch margins, I forget if they want it double spaced, but you can look it up online. I also strongly suggest using Noodlebib for your works cited. It formats everything for you, you just have to fill in the blanks.

Oh, that's not so hard. Chances are it's times new roman, 12pt font, 1 inch margins, I forget if they want it double spaced, but you can look it up online. I also strongly suggest using Noodlebib for your works cited. It formats everything for you, you just have to fill in the blanks.

Thank you for the tip on works cited. That is the hardest part for me.

This one instructor wants Arial font, 12 pt. font, 1.5 inch margins and double spaced. This means there are about ten words on every page. (A little bit of a stretch of the truth.)

I am just complaining as there are some things that are just frustrating.

I didn't have to pay for it, but that might be because of my university. I remember using something different in high school, but I can't remember what it was called. *googles it* Easybib. Does roughly the same thing.

You could also go to the Owl at Purdue and they have almost every format that you will need. The writing lab is pretty thorough. You will find contractions, references, APA writing style, etc.. Let me know what you might need and if you can't find it, I will find it for you. Everything at Purdue is free and downloadable.

Ah yes, the Owl, I remember that coming up in my searches when I was checking a format, good website. I still like things like Easybib and Noodlebib for my citations though, because I'm lazy. :rolleyes:

Thank you for those references. I am checking those today.

I haven't posted in a while because I have been overwhelmed with work. And besides, I didn't want to fill up the space with my complaining. We have a topic for that. :lol: Anyway, I am somewhat caught up, but not really. This week is mid-terms and papers and discussions and all that other stuff that will make you crazy.

Anyway, I had one professor who gave me a zero for the week and after I had a panic attack, emailed him asking why, he told me that he didn't scroll down far enough. WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? At least he corrected my grade! But there were four or five other people who posted after me. Anyway, I was in such a shocked mood seeing that zero that I was totally stunned and could not focus on the rest of my work. Well, that has been corrected and now I have to study for the mid-term.

All it does here is rain and I still am not allowed out to play. My ankle is supposed to be cleared by the doctor on the 1st of April and I seriously hope I can go out and play. My motorcycle is calling. The new motorcycle arrived and I am paying on it, but have not been able to go pick it up. That will be as soon after April Fool's Day as I can stand.

Anyway, time to get back to studying.

Thanks for letting me air my frustrations.

x_x Yeah, teachers do that sometimes. At least now you won't have that to worry about while you're trying to study.

True. Now to study for the mid-terms due by Sunday evening.

Good thing teachers are human. The Computer Based Instruction we have for work, makes a lot of errors. Sometimes it decides that it doesn't like the correct answer and grades it wrong. So, it is always nice to have a human teacher.

Oooh pretty! Those are the same flowers that are in bloom where I am right now as well. I love spring flowers. ^_^ There are a couple wild rose bushes too, the little white ones that don't look like roses, and they smell amazing.

If you have your camera, I would love to see a picture of the white ones that smell great. I don't know what I would call them if I were to ask at the nursery. The flowers that smell wonderful are such a treat. In Florida, it used to be that you would smell the wonderful flowers of the citrus groves. It was intoxicating. The groves are being paved over for streets and houses. :( Problem is, the developers went in and bulldozed the groves in the hopes that people would come streaming in, and now the acreage just sits empty with weeds. The groves were a much prettier sight. Even if they had left a few trees to keep in people's yards. But, that would have meant some effort on the part of the developer as they would have to work around a couple trees. God forbid they exert a little effort.

Okay, enough of my Monday morning rant.

*goes off to drink some Butter Rum coffee*

They're just called wild roses, as far as I know. If you do an image search on them, they're the little white ones, similar in shape to cherry blossoms, but they grow on tangly pricker bushes.

Great! Thank you. I need some pricker bushes to keep out the neighbors. :)

We don't have any crocus, but I love those flowers. Especially when they are peeking out of the snow, you know spring is just around the corner.

Yesterday I was cleared to do all sorts of activities... no more cast, boot, lacy boot type support... absolutely, positively no thingys on my ankle!!!

Life is good!

Today I am going to go for a ride on the motorcycle! Whoo Hoo!!!!!

I am soooooooooooooooooooooooo happy! :D

Sounds like a good idea. :D

Well, I was going to have those pictures up, but yesterday I was cleaning the garage and got into a nest of wasps. That was about the worst thing I could have ever done. OUCH!!!!!!!! Wasp stings hurt!!!!!!!!!! And a couple of them stung me on my face. I always try and avoid the nests, but somehow I didn't see this one and knocked it down. The zillion, of course, not that many, but it seemed like that, came at me. I tried to stand still and not move but that didn't seem to work as a they were in a flying frenzy. Anyway... I am suffering today!

Next year I hire someone to clean the garage.

Whoo Hoo!!! I'm using the new iPad at the Apple store!!!

I HATE the iPad.

I'm sorry to hear that. I love the iPad and today I am going to buy one.

It is such a cool device and is so light to carry. It does everything I want, except to be able to talk on the phone.

Thank you. I will warn you, with this new lens, you are about to be overwhelmed with a lot of dumb pictures. What is so great about this lens, is that the picture of Hercule was taken from about three feet away! And the flowers about two feet away! I can't wait until I figure out how to take pictures of microscopic things. Whoo Hoo! Then I will be able to take pictures like Leguan!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Update, finished my requalification training last night. Next week is the flying phase again, so I am flying from Memphis to Los Angeles, then to Indianapolis, San Jose, ground transportation over to Oakland and fly back to Memphis.

I'm already tired thinking about it.

Oy that sounds tiring.

It is... believe me, it is. Of course, we don't do it all at once. We fly to Los Angeles, then layover, but these trips start at 02H30 in the morning and the last leg back to Memphis is only after a ten hour layover where we are going to sleep during the day. I get home and I am really tired.

Looks like you're having fun with that macro lens! =3

Also...how does one download music from iTunes? .____. I've never done it before and I've got a giftcard I wanna use.

Looks like you're having fun with that macro lens! =3

Also...how does one download music from iTunes? .____. I've never done it before and I've got a giftcard I wanna use.

You should have an iTunes alias in your dock. Click on that alias. If you look about half-way down on the left you will see iTunes store. Click on the little green icon to the left of the name. Now look on the top right and you will see the word Redeem. Click on this. When you do, you will then see a box where you can enter your iTunes Gift Card code. Then click on the Redeem button on the bottom right.

After you get it on your computer, it will always be yours as iTunes knows always what you have purchased, even if you replace your laptop. You can then place these tunes on your iPod or MP3 player.

Hope this helps.

As for the macro lens... I have much more to learn. The focus part is the tough part. You can get really great close-ups at quite a good distance. That is the really great part.

I'm thinking at least part of it is going towards Meat Loaf albums I don't already own. I'm contemplating some other stuff, too...

WHAT??? Have I not had any bad influence over you? :lol:

Besides... you could always just borrow my copy of the new CD. :rolleyes:

I would suggest using it on something that's *really* hard to find CDs for in stores. And I would also suggest buying music of an artist you like that doesn't have a huge fan base and could use the money. Or at least that's what I would do. :rolleyes:

I would suggest using it on something that's *really* hard to find CDs for in stores. And I would also suggest buying music of an artist you like that doesn't have a huge fan base and could use the money. Or at least that's what I would do. :rolleyes:

Great idea!!! For me, Border's will get any CD you desire, and at a great discount, so I just ask them to get those hard to find CD's. I had not thought of an artist with a smaller fan base... that is a phenomenal idea!!!

Yesterday and today I have been in Shreveport, Louisiana. Interesting town. The city has a wonderful boardwalk, so to speak, that runs along the river for a few miles. Nice place to jog or walk. The boardwalk is really a concrete walkway, but they call it the boardwalk.

Yesterday and today I have been in Shreveport, Louisiana. Interesting town. The city has a wonderful boardwalk, so to speak, that runs along the river for a few miles. Nice place to jog or walk. The boardwalk is really a concrete walkway, but they call it the boardwalk.

o: i've been there before

What was your impression?

:x well it's been a few years. Reminded me of San Antonio's riverwalk, which is pretty awesome.

:x well it's been a few years. Reminded me of San Antonio's riverwalk, which is pretty awesome.

I like San Antonio's riverwalk. I was surprised at how small the "river" was. It gave it a nice feel because is was small. Not like trying to walk along the Mississippi. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Ooh, those are really pretty, and remind me that I should get pictures of my graduation flowers lol. Your pictures look like they should be framed and hung as decorations or something. :) I especially like the lily.

Thank you. The one aspect of digital cameras is that you can take a million pictures, find one you like, and it didn't cost a thing. :) With my old manual Nikon, which I love, you take pictures, have them developed, $$$, then find out if you got any you liked. The new technology is wonderful! But, I will say that I do still enjoy taking pictures with both my cameras.

If you decide that you want any pictures for the wall when you get to your new apartment, I will email you some.

Just wondering if anyone would be interested in seeing airplane pictures from work?

Yes, would be nice. You would be a good planespotter. :lol:

At the local train station I always see lots of trainspotters. I sometimes visit a board where they show their pictures. Some are extremely good. I also like technical stuff like vehicles, but I don't want to spend so much time for making pictures.

Here's the only picture I made of a train. It's my favorite loco class, the E10. This one has a special design for an exhibition train funded by the research community in which I'm currently a member. The exhibition train was called 'Science Express- Expedition Zukunft' (Zukunft means future), showing many innovations and making advertisement for science in general. It's a bit ironically that one of the oldest locos in service is pulling such a train. :lol:

However, I really like these old machines. Unfortunately they are getting very rare. The E10 was built mainly in the sixties and was for heavy passenger service. At this time, with almost 5000hp and a speed of 100mph, it was the 'flagship' of the DB (German Rail). Now the remaining machines are just used for regional or occasional services. The loco on the picture was very recently retired and will be scrapped soon. :(

Here's the picture. Don't be surprised, it is really an electric. :lol: At this place, there's no aerial line and they had a brand-new Diesel loco at the other end of the train. They just took the electric one in addition because the Diesel- even though it was brand-new- didn't have this special paint. :lol:

Thank you for the picture! It is great! The paint on the train is wonderful!!!

I love trains!!!! In Switzerland there is a channel on the television, that is the view from the front of a train. The background music is for relaxation, but the view is what is really relaxing. I always turn that channel on when I am there.

We have some really, really long trains here. The longest train I have seen has three locomotives on the front end and two at the rear. I have counted over three hundred plus cars in between.

It is either in Frankfurt or Berlin, I can't remember which, where there is the most incredible transportation museum. If you are ever in either of those cities, look and see if you can find the museum. One of the best museums I have ever had the pleasure of visiting.

Pictures of the airplanes will be here on Thursday.

Yes, I already watched some videos on youtube. The trains in the US are amazing. Soo long. Here the trains are much shorter. Distances are shorter and these long freight trains would interfere too much with passenger trains since the network is much more dense. Also these fascinatingly big Diesels don't exist here. Just one twin-engine prototype (which is still in service at a private company) comparable to the locos in the US. The manufacturers built two prototypes. A small single-engine and the big twin-engine. The national railway company decided just to build the small ones because all important routes got aerial lines which allow the use of the much more powerful and economical electric locomotives. They equip comparably short and light freight trains with one or two electrics to get a good acceleration and top speed to fit in the schedule between the passenger trains.

It is either in Frankfurt or Berlin, I can't remember which, where there is the most incredible transportation museum. If you are ever in either of those cities, look and see if you can find the museum.

You mean the "Deutsches Technikmuseum" in Berlin where not only trains, but much more stuff like the world's first computer or a "raisin bomber" (one of the allied aircrafts bringing supplies to West Berlin which was blocked by the Soviets after WWII) are exhibited? I've been there almost 10 years ago, really nice.

Yes, I already watched some videos on youtube. The trains in the US are amazing. Soo long. Here the trains are much shorter. Distances are shorter and these long freight trains would interfere too much with passenger trains since the network is much more dense. Also these fascinatingly big Diesels don't exist here. Just one twin-engine prototype (which is still in service at a private company) comparable to the locos in the US. The manufacturers built two prototypes. A small single-engine and the big twin-engine. The national railway company decided just to build the small ones because all important routes got aerial lines which allow the use of the much more powerful and economical electric locomotives. They equip comparably short and light freight trains with one or two electrics to get a good acceleration and top speed to fit in the schedule between the passenger trains.

It is either in Frankfurt or Berlin, I can't remember which, where there is the most incredible transportation museum. If you are ever in either of those cities, look and see if you can find the museum.

You mean the "Deutsches Technikmuseum" in Berlin where not only trains, but much more stuff like the world's first computer or a "raisin bomber" (one of the allied aircrafts bringing supplies to West Berlin which was blocked by the Soviets after WWII) are exhibited? I've been there almost 10 years ago, really nice.

Now I am totally confused. I want to think that is the museum I am thinking about, but then again, it may not be. I remember visiting that museum in Berlin. It was phenomenal!!!!!!

I guess we are thinking of the same. It was formerly called "Museum für Verkehr and Technik" which means museum for transportation and technology. Now it is called "Deutsches Technikmuseum" which means "German Museum of Technology". The focus was on rail traffic as I remember, with an old rail station integrated in the museum.

I guess we are thinking of the same. It was formerly called "Museum für Verkehr and Technik" which means museum for transportation and technology. Now it is called "Deutsches Technikmuseum" which means "German Museum of Technology". The focus was on rail traffic as I remember, with an old rail station integrated in the museum.

That's exactly the place. Thank you!!! Walking into that museum made quite an impression on me. I really enjoyed myself and for some reason, that museum sticks in my mind more than others.

I like the seed in his mouth.

Chipmunk 2.jpg

Really nice. :lol:

Thank you. I must admit, I really didn't have anything to do with it. My role was to simply push the button. This camera is so amazing.

There was a baby chipmunk out today with his sibling and mother. I think I might have gotten a couple good shots of him. Let me see if I can get those and the pictures of the airplane up today.

;A; So cute!

It reminds me of one of my mom's friends who worked as a wildlife rehabilitation person. She would send me pictures of the super cute bats and foxes and baby deer that she got in.

;A; So cute!

It reminds me of one of my mom's friends who worked as a wildlife rehabilitation person. She would send me pictures of the super cute bats and foxes and baby deer that she got in.

I love baby animals, especially the baby bats.

Whoo Hoo!!!!!!! I am going to Greensboro for the weekend! How exciting is this?!?!?!? The best part is that there is a great place to jog, a terrific diner across the street from the hotel and I'm getting paid for the entire weekend! I love this job!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D

Hehe! Awesome.

I love all your pictures, by the way. :D

:lol: Perhaps you shouldn't give me any encouragement! You might get sick of me posting my pictures.

But thank you so much, I appreciate your post! :D

Yesterday morning, I took 603 pictures of chipmunks, looking for the perfect shot. I was not happy as I came out with only one, okay shot, but not the perfect one. Of course, the chipmunks have to work for food, so it is cheap labour. Now if only I could get them to stop and pose. :lol:

• 1 month later...

It's been ages since I posted, so I will give you an update. This month, July, is my last month in the Airbus. I will post a couple pictures of my last flight. Beginning the 5th of August, I am starting B-777 school. I am pretty excited about this. Mainly my flights will be Memphis, TN non-stop to China. I have not been to China, so I am very excited about going to the Far East. More on this later.

As for other news, I'm in Las Vegas at the moment and it is hot. I am loving the temperatures, but most people are hating it. The problem is that as we cut down more trees, pave over more land, what do you expect. The climate is going to change. Trees keep you cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. Developers don't care, they just want the most amount of money they can get and they want their money now, they don't care about future generations. That problem is not theirs, it belongs to someone else. Oh well. Enough of my rant.

Not much else to report.

That's a long flight! What are the differences between the two airplanes?

You are so right. You are held captive for 3/4 of a day. :lol: Let me dig up a couple pictures and I will show you all the differences. To start, the Boeing 777 has a Maximum Take-off Weight of almost twice the weight of the Airbus 300. So that means, lots more freight and lots more fuel.

Nice, the triple 7 is a good plane. I will fly in a 777-300ER on one of my three flights on the way to Australia. The other two flights will be with A330-200.

School starts soon, and I think I will be quite happy flying the new plane. Let me know what you think of your flight on the B-777, even though you will be a passenger.

• 3 weeks later...

Tomorrow is the first day of B-777 school. I have already been studying, but yesterday I came down with something... :( fever, sore throat, headache... this is NOT good. Today I still feel the same. Things are not looking good. The chances are that I cannot get better in one day and I cannot start school sick. *cries*

Okay... the first rule is: Read The Instructions!!!

Last night, I went to bed early, still feeling sick, and set my alarm for o'dark thirty. Wake up time came too early and I got up, hopped into the shower, collected my things and headed off to the schoolhouse. Wandering around aimlessly for about thirty minutes, I finally found someone who directed me to my flight training scheduler. Seems that today, tomorrow and the following day are... Stay and Study at Home Days! WHAT?!?!?!?!? I have been studying at home and on the road for the last five days. Ohhhhhhhhhh well. So, I packed up the bike and rode back home. The good news is that I don't have to get up early tomorrow. I should finish the last of my computer based training today, so the next few days I plan to go through all the lessons a second time.

So, the butter rum coffee is brewing and I am getting ready to start my studies.

lol I hate it when that happens! There's been some sort of cold-like bug going around here too. Being that my jobs involve being around lots of people, and my boyfriend's job is also to be around lots of people, we're both probably doomed to get it. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, you are most definitely correct. Just wash your hands thoroughly, often and keep them away from your face. Stay away from those germ killers as they get rid of the good germs and end up protecting you less than just washing your hands.

Tomorrow is my oral exam, replaced by a computer generated exam. I really hate these. As I was reviewing the material again this afternoon, I felt like I had not seen any of the material. My mind drew a total blank and I felt like I was seeing things for the first time. *cries*

I just need an 80 to pass and and 80 in each of the systems.

Divine intervention would also be nice. :lol:

Yay! Congratulations! ^_^

Thank you!!! :D

My next test is the Procedures Validation. This is where you show that you can do the procedures EXACTLY as the book dictates. :o

I'm up by 04H00 every morning and in bed by midnight. I spend all day at the school house studying.

Not really funny, but somewhat hilarious... I leave the coffee pot set to go and leave a note: Good Morning, coffee pot is ready for brewing, just push button. Well, I forgot to put in the coffee filter. So... as the coffee grounds filled up and the water filled up, the basket overflowed one full pot of coffee onto the counter. I was THAT tired. Ooops.

I think you've worked in the aviation industry long enough to know proper procedures. :rolleyes:

As for the coffee pot, I've done tons of things like that. Remember, sleep is just as important for passing tests as studying. :rolleyes:

:lol: I wish that was the case regarding proper procedures, but I am going to a new airplane, and one that is also relatively new to our company, and this is state of the art electronics, so, I have to learn the procedures appropriate for this airplane. Some things are similar, but lots of things are quite different. This airplane almost does not need humans. :lol:

You are sooooo right, sleep is probably the most important thing to passing tests. I'm still tired today. In a couple months I will be able to catch up on my sleep.

Ah, new stuff. It shouldn't be learned in books, it should be learned by actually doing it. <_>

:lol: We sort of learn the things in books first, then on the computer that acts similar to the airplane, then in a Flight Training Device that is very similar to the airplane where all the switches, lights, sounds are the same, but it does not move. Then we move into the Flight Simulator that is exactly like the airplane with motion. The big difference is that fires, windshear, hydraulic, electrical, etc. problems are "simulated" here and we follow procedures that permit us to be exposed to the problem, deal with the problem whilst there is no abuse and wear and tear on the airplane. Training is very hard on the equipment and you cannot simulate many of the systems problems that could occur in the airplane, so the Flight Simulator is outstanding as a training device.

Ah, new stuff. It shouldn't be learned in books, it should be learned by actually doing it. <_<

:lol: We sort of learn the things in books first, then on the computer that acts similar to the airplane, then in a Flight Training Device that is very similar to the airplane where all the switches, lights, sounds are the same, but it does not move. Then we move into the Flight Simulator that is exactly like the airplane with motion. The big difference is that fires, windshear, hydraulic, electrical, etc. problems are "simulated" here and we follow procedures that permit us to be exposed to the problem, deal with the problem whilst there is no abuse and wear and tear on the airplane. Training is very hard on the equipment and you cannot simulate many of the systems problems that could occur in the airplane, so the Flight Simulator is outstanding as a training device.

Ah, that's good. Simulated fires are definitely better than real ones. :rolleyes:

Today we had a simulated aft cargo fire, an engine failure due to a loss of oil pressure, a engine tailpipe fire, and about 5 more other problems.

*screammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm*

I'm tired. It was a very long day and we had a very long list of things we needed to accomplish. As we were introduced to many, many new things and I must say that I forgot some of the first things as soon as they were taught and accomplished. Tomorrow should be a better day. I plan on getting my reading done, study some more and then get up at 04H00 to study some more.

Yesterday we were in the Flight Training Device (FTD) and this was so much better than the computer flight program. Before where we needed to click the mouse to raise the gear, lower the flaps, etc., today we actually touched the knobs. This was great. Our flight went from DFW to MEM and of course we did lots of work in-between. Overall, I am much happier in this device as it makes lots more sense and we are able to work as a team. Of course, we could do that before, but it was so different.

Today is a day off, so to speak, and this is just a day to catch up on everything. Reading, studying for the next group of events, and trying to be totally prepared for the upcoming events.

A first day off, well not totally. Showed up at the training building and thought I had reserved the Flight Training Device for 06H00... oops... that was today. Grrrrr. We sat in one of the rooms and "chair flew" the events. Good learning tool as we both reviewed things we had not totally understood. After that I had to renew my passport and then run errands that had been stacking up. Afternoon was lunch at the local Chinese restaurant, where you never see anyone but those people of Asian descent as there is no buffet bar. They have two menus, one for those who read Chinese (with small English subtitles), and then the American version of Chinese food. My choice is the Chinese menu as I have had some incredible dishes that you never find at a place with a buffet bar. Of course, the jellyfish dish I probably won't be trying. For some reason, I can't bring myself to try this. :lol:

Powernap in the afternoon and then about five hours of reading.