Hampsterdance Discussion Board

Best friend of horatio club!

PARIS !!!!!  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Should I move to Paris?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know.

Ah, New Haven cops. I'm curious as to where you were exactly now, since New Haven is mostly flat. :rolleyes: It surprises me that they would give you a speeding ticket to a cyclist, unless there were lots of pedestrians or something. I've heard some of the cops are horrendously racist; I don't know if that could have been a problem. Or maybe the cop was just jealous that you were moving faster. :rolleyes:

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A speeding ticket on a BIKE??? How fast were you going? Moreover, how were you supposed to know how fast you were going? Also, the farm time zone is a cool idea.

The ticket cost me $150!!!!! I was doing mid-thirties in a 15 or 20, can't remember which. Anyway, it was this freshly paved, smooth, pristine asphalt road, on the longest downhill... a magnificent piece of road and I was picking up speed. Whoa... what a feeling. I guess what really made the officer mad was that I wouldn't stop until I had reached the bottom. :rolleyes: Anyway, I blew through the school zone feeling like I was flying. It was awesome! I still remember that feeling as if it had happened yesterday. Then I heard the siren. Never did I think he was pulling me over. :o He asked for my driver's license and I told him that I didn't have it on me, but gave him all my other identification. If I had given him my driver's license, I am certain he would have tried to put points on it. :lol: And just to let you know... this happened in Connecticut. LOL

Seriously??? I thought they only did stuff like this in like, Princeton. :rolleyes: Where in CT were you?

I was somewhere near Yale. :lol:

It was either West Haven or New Haven, I believe.

My journey took me from Long Island across the Sound by ferry, through Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts to Cape Cod, then back through Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, through the city, across Staten Island, into New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland before heading back to Long Island.

Wait.....

Bike bike, like petals and all. Or motorcycle?

Haha, that sounds like a fun trip. A shame officers waste time with bikers in a way...I mean, it's good to be safe n all but I feel like they should have higher priorities. *shrug*

A speeding ticket on a BIKE??? How fast were you going? Moreover, how were you supposed to know how fast you were going? Also, the farm time zone is a cool idea.

The ticket cost me $150!!!!! I was doing mid-thirties in a 15 or 20, can't remember which. Anyway, it was this freshly paved, smooth, pristine asphalt road, on the longest downhill... a magnificent piece of road and I was picking up speed. Whoa... what a feeling. I guess what really made the officer mad was that I wouldn't stop until I had reached the bottom. :rolleyes: Anyway, I blew through the school zone feeling like I was flying. It was awesome! I still remember that feeling as if it had happened yesterday. Then I heard the siren. Never did I think he was pulling me over. :o He asked for my driver's license and I told him that I didn't have it on me, but gave him all my other identification. If I had given him my driver's license, I am certain he would have tried to put points on it. :lol: And just to let you know... this happened in Connecticut. LOL

Seriously??? I thought they only did stuff like this in like, Princeton. :rolleyes: Where in CT were you?

My journey took me from Long Island across the Sound by ferry, through Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts to Cape Cod, then back through Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, through the city, across Staten Island, into New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland before heading back to Long Island.

Wait.....

Bike bike, like peDals and all. Or motorcycle?

Wait.....

Bicycle.

Ah, New Haven cops. I'm curious as to where you were exactly now, since New Haven is mostly flat. :rolleyes: It surprises me that they would give you a speeding ticket to a cyclist, unless there were lots of pedestrians or something. I've heard some of the cops are horrendously racist; I don't know if that could have been a problem. Or maybe the cop was just jealous that you were moving faster. :rolleyes:

Does West Haven have a hill? I am trying to remember where it happened. And remember, a little hill that seems like nothing in a car can be a great downhill to a bicycle.

Wait.....

Bicycle.

You MUST be joking. A speeding ticket on a bicycle!? HOW? Whattttt?! NOOOOOOO WAYYYYYYYYYY.

Wait.....

Bike bike, like peDals and all. Or motorcycle?

I was hoping you wouldn't correct that. :lol:

Haha, that sounds like a fun trip. A shame officers waste time with bikers in a way...I mean, it's good to be safe n all but I feel like they should have higher priorities. *shrug*

It was an awesome trip. The ticket just gave me something to make my trip more interesting. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here I am stuck near the San Francisco airport for four days over Christmas. Deciding to take a walk around the town of Burlingame, because we were really stuck in San Francisco, but out by the airport, I am showing the First Officer how great a place it is. Well as we take a different route through this great neighborhood, I take the next step and plop, splat, @_#*@(*@&$^% (that's a crashing sound you hear), I fall off the sidewalk and chin hits the one piece of concrete between the sidewalk and the curb. Before you ask... no, I was NOT on my cell phone. What I had done was move a little bit to the right side, to allow more room for my First Officer and that's when I went down. Lots of blood. :o Not a pretty sight at all. Back on my feet, I decide that I need to stop the bleeding, so we knock on one door with no luck. Exiting the house in front of which I fell, emerge two ladies. They were wonderful and brought me some paper towels, asked if I wanted to go inside their house and clean up and could they drive us anywhere. As we were going into town to do some Christmas shopping, I said, no thank you to the ride and we head on our way. Hobbling, I figure that it is just a sprain and I should be good as new in the morning. We finished our Christmas shopping, had some coffee and headed back to the hotel. For the rest of Christmas eve and Christmas I remained with my foot elevated and ice. It was almost healed. The swelling was almost totally gone and I could walk 99% normal. I felt pretty good. The only downside was spending Christmas in the hotel alone. Anyway... we came home the next morning and I thought all was well.

You have to come back for Part II.

Ouch! That sounds really painful! >_

Awful!!!!!

*cries*

Aw...I hope you feel better!

Thank you. But I am such a baby and really hate being confined, restricted, etc., because I am sick or injured. The mental state is worse than the actual pain of the break. Plus, I don't take any pain killers or other stuff like that so when I move my leg, the pain is fairly intense.

Ouch! That sounds really painful! >_<

Awful!!!!!

*cries*

Thank you. But I am such a baby and really hate being confined, restricted, etc., because I am sick or injured. The mental state is worse than the actual pain of the break. Plus, I don't take any pain killers or other stuff like that so when I move my leg, the pain is fairly intense.

I hate that too lol, though I take painkillers once the pain starts to interfere with what I need to do. I figure the effects of the painkillers are probably no worse than the stress of the pain.

Ouch! That sounds really painful! >_

Awful!!!!!

*cries*

I hate that too lol, though I take painkillers once the pain starts to interfere with what I need to do. I figure the effects of the painkillers are probably no worse than the stress of the pain.

You are probably right.

The time when I broke my leg, the doctors told me that it would be at least three to four months. From the very beginning I didn't take any pain killers and every time I tried to move my leg, even a fraction of any inch, the pain was so intense, I didn't move my leg one bit. That only lasted a short time, then I was able to move around with my leg, but I knew what the range would be by the pain that would appear when I tried to exceed that range. The good news was that my leg healed in eight weeks. In this case, I think that not moving my leg helped it to heal at a much faster rate.

Part two... I am back in Memphis and after visiting the doctor, I have this new addition. The boot. :o

The boot hurt from the moment it was put on my leg. I tried walking and it was really, really painful.

Gee... I thought this was supposed to make the ankle feel better? :wacko:

The next morning I called the doctor's office to tell them about the boot. As they had already mentioned the day before, no appointments before the 5th of January. *cries*

First thing this morning I head over to the doctors office, new plan... the cast.

After selecting my colour... black, of course. My first instinct was a neon colour such as pink, orange, green or blue, but those would clash with my clothing choices and I would have to coordinate. So, I went with your basic black. Blends in with my jeans.

The good news is that my ankle should have been in the cast all along. It feels so much better. I can still go to the gym, swim, whatever I want.

Whoo Hoo!!!!

Owies, breaking stuff, not fun!

heh funny that you should mention Burlingame. back when I lived in the Bay Area the only mall I was familiar with was the one in Burlingame.

but I really hope that no more pain for you!

Owies, breaking stuff, not fun!

heh funny that you should mention Burlingame. back when I lived in the Bay Area the only mall I was familiar with was the one in Burlingame.

but I really hope that no more pain for you!

Thanks! I had decided to take the scenic walk into town through the neighborhood and was on a street called Chula Vista when it happened.

There was a slight memory lapse from me because of my ankle, but I thought I would mention that I got a camera for Christmas. It still has not arrived yet and I was hoping that it would be here today, but maybe at the beginning of next week. Of course, the reason for the delay is the fact that they use UPS and UPS is slower than frozen molasses. Hopefully at the beginning of next week my camera should arrive and then perhaps I can begin taking some pictures. No guarantee that these will be good, just that I can start to play... inside my cage. It will be February before I can go outside and play. :(

The new BMW? This took really long to be delivered then. I remember the first presentation at the Intermot fair in October 2008...

Well, for comfort, with the weather at the moment (you said that you also have a bit of snow) you better shouldn't ride anyway. ;)

I also can't ride my bike. It is standing in the garage for more than two months now. I tried to ride on snow once. Very bad idea. After a few meters, I returned. :lol: So I have to rely on public transport and my bicycle. The bicycle (a mountainbike) is amazingly easy to ride on snow. I was really surprised. Last weekend I borrowed a car from my parents. An old station wagon with rear wheel drive (Opel Omega A). If you push down the throttle pedal in a bend when it is raining, it is already drifting. And with the snow it is even more fun. :lol:

The new BMW? This took really long to be delivered then. I remember the first presentation at the Intermot fair in October 2008...

Well, for comfort, with the weather at the moment (you said that you also have a bit of snow) you better shouldn't ride anyway. ;)

I also can't ride my bike. It is standing in the garage for more than two months now. I tried to ride on snow once. Very bad idea. After a few meters, I returned. :lol: So I have to rely on public transport and my bicycle. The bicycle (a mountainbike) is amazingly easy to ride on snow. I was really surprised. Last weekend I borrowed a car from my parents. An old station wagon with rear wheel drive (Opel Omega A). If you push down the throttle pedal in a bend when it is raining, it is already drifting. And with the snow it is even more fun. :lol:

Mountain bikes are great in the snow, ice, mud, water puddles, etc.! Of course, I have gone down in the biggest of mud and come up and gotten back on and kept riding. Of course, this is not how you want to show up for work. :lol:

My first snow and ice experience in a car was at my father's asphalt plant where there was lots and lots of room to do 360's and learn how to control a skid. Then it was more fun as there was nothing to hit but perhaps a sand or gravel pile. Wouldn't want to try that on the streets with lots of other drivers. :lol:

The problem in Memphis is that 99.9999999 percent of these drivers are bad in good conditions. When they get some rain or snow, then their mentaliity is that faster is better. No thought process as to stopping, manoeuvring or any other possibility when it comes to the performance of their vehicle. Then you have those one or two other drivers, who are scared to operate a vehicle on a perfect day and cannot find the gas pedal on a bad day. These are the driver's who set up the obstacles for all the bad drivers.

Tried taking my bike out of the garage on a day when the sloped driveway had iced over. I scared myself silly. Luckily I could traverse the grass until about two feet from the garage door and had enough traction to get it back inside and parked. Won't try that again. Lots of loose gravel is more appealing.

90 pages :blink: ?

Dear Climber4145,

Two questions please...

.....1. Why do you think I am dumb?

.....2. Why do you hate me?

Thank you for your reply.

Horatio :huh:

5 years ago. Rofl.

That's cool this forum is still active. I just googled my name randomly and saw this. And yeah, I have no idea what I was thinking. Things can happen when your still in elementary school and get your hands onto a computer.

90 pages :blink: ?

Dear Climber4145,

Two questions please...

.....1. Why do you think I am dumb?

.....2. Why do you hate me?

Thank you for your reply.

Horatio :huh:

5 years ago. Rofl.

That's cool this forum is still active. I just googled my name randomly and saw this. And yeah, I have no idea what I was thinking. Things can happen when your still in elementary school and get your hands onto a computer.

Welcome back. And you still remembered your password!!! :D

Hope you stop back in again.

Today I finally got my Christmas present! I am sooooo excited. Hopefully I will figure out how to use the camera to the utilize it's potential. There are so many options. Nothing like my old manual Nikon. This is a computer with a zillion options!

Pictures to follow... hopefully soon! :D

Hahaha ancient history ftw! :lol:

Horatio, I would have been tempted to get a blue or green cast too, but black at least matches everything.

What type of camera did you get?

The problem with black is that is also isn't noticeable. I've had three people walk into, bump and almost run over it with their grocery cart. So, next time, it will be eye-shocking pinkish, lime-yellow retina burning green, with neon lights and a proximity sensor that has a rather loud car alarm and voice that announces "Step back, you have violated the cast's space. The police and ambulance have been called. I repeat. Step back... " :lol:

My camera is a Nikon D300S. The great thing about this camera is that it can also take video. The first lens is a 80 - 200, which has so many capabilities, and the second lens is a macro. The macro has not arrived yet, so I am really looking forward to when it comes in. :D

This was posted by Topazia last night in the Stories, Poems and anything written Forum, the Sorry it's been so long Topic, and I thought it was too beautiful to lose. So, after receiving permission, I have copied and pasted it here.

As for something for you guys:

"Here on the boards where hampsters freely roam alongside eagles, cheetahs, a mushroom and a phoenix

Always changing but the ones who contribute keep it properly engaging and roflicious

Many have come and disappeared, moving on to bigger but maybe not better things

Precious few, and ever precious they are, stay and play and say what is and isn't

Seeing my friends here grow and change and mature and evolve to what they will truly be

That is a gift I am eternally grateful for, and I cherish each moment I'm had with everybody

Entertaining boards that once occupied me for hours upon hours (and got me yelled at some summer days)

Regretfully I leave every so often, the gaps at one time so great I forgot you (I'm sorry)

Developing the habit I once had will not be possible, but I will be more frequent than before!

All the posts on here, jumbled though, as some are inevitably as HK moved from the OLD OLD OLD format to the new

Never lose my interest regardless of how often I peruse the archival vaults that contain my friends

Console, I must, this poem as it slows to an end but I do give my solemn vow:

Even if I am absent, these boards are still and always will be close to my heart.

Thank you Horatio for your years of diligent, effective, fair, entertaining, and overall wonderful moderation.

Thank you HampsterKing for creating this space for us!

Thank you all Hampsters (rodentuous or otherwise lol) for being yourselves

Sincerely yours with heartfelt gratitude and deep apology for absconding this heavenly place,

Alli"

Horatio, I would have been tempted to get a blue or green cast too, but black at least matches everything.

The problem with black is that is also isn't noticeable. I've had three people walk into, bump and almost run over it with their grocery cart. So, next time, it will be eye-shocking pinkish, lime-yellow retina burning green, with neon lights and a proximity sensor that has a rather loud car alarm and voice that announces "Step back, you have violated the cast's space. The police and ambulance have been called. I repeat. Step back... " :lol:

My camera is a Nikon D300S. The great thing about this camera is that it can also take video. The first lens is a 80 - 200, which has so many capabilities, and the second lens is a macro. The macro has not arrived yet, so I am really looking forward to when it comes in. :D

SO JEALOUS. Period, end of story.

Come down and show me how to work it. PLEASE!

TBFOF... if and when I go to upgrade, I promise I will send this one to you. How does that sound?

TBFOF... if and when I go to upgrade, I promise I will send this one to you. How does that sound?

I would love to come down an assist you. However, I first must figure out how to use it myself!

I'm trying to see if I can find a used Canon 5D in great condition, but that is proving to be quite a challenge.

And don't be silly Horatio, you are just too kind and generous!

I would love to come down an assist you. However, I first must figure out how to use it myself!

I'm trying to see if I can find a used Canon 5D in great condition, but that is proving to be quite a challenge.

And don't be silly Horatio, you are just too kind and generous!

It's yours if and when I upgrade.

Keep this post.

I was looking to give away my old Nikon FM, but with the cost of film and developing, no one wanted it. I finally found an art school who is desparately seeking old manual film cameras, so I donated two. That sure made me feel good.

You got an awesome camera!! I'm sorry to hear you've been injured. I broke my ankle before...it stunk. I had a cast too. I think it was pink. (Hint: I was like 7) I was literally walking through the yard and stepped in a shallow hole and tripped. That's it. Five weeks later, I started complaining too frequently after coming inside from playing to do my homework, and mom took me to the doctor. He told her not to be mad at herself for not taking me in sooner. He did that before, it's easy when your seven-yr-old is active and a normal seven year old who doesn't like homework. When it finally came off, it felt like I was walking in a hole because I was used to the cast elevating my foot.

:)

So, here I am cooped up in Memphis. :( Not really the best situation. Anyway, at about 01H30 two night's ago, there was a fleet of fire trucks and the fire marshall who arrived. Luckily there was no fire, but it was not the way you want to wake up in the middle of the night. Last night about the same time, a humungous clap of thunder woke me up with a start. Usually I could sleep through a bulldozer tearing down the house, so the storm, being directly overhead, must have had the loudest thunder clap ever.

Anyway, here I am drinking my morning butter rum coffee, wishing I could run around.

Anyway, at about 01H30 two night's ago, there was a fleet of fire trucks and the fire marshall who arrived. Luckily there was no fire, but it was not the way you want to wake up in the middle of the night.

Yes, I know how scary this is. Years ago I came home and recognized from far away lots of firetrucks in front of the house. Luckily, it was just because of a fire drill at a heating power plant close to my home. The trucks were parked in front of the house because it was next to a restaurant where all the firemen had lunch...

Anyway, at about 01H30 two night's ago, there was a fleet of fire trucks and the fire marshall who arrived. Luckily there was no fire, but it was not the way you want to wake up in the middle of the night.

Yes, I know how scary this is. Years ago I came home and recognized from far away lots of firetrucks in front of the house. Luckily, it was just because of a fire drill at a heating power plant close to my home. The trucks were parked in front of the house because it was next to a restaurant where all the firemen had lunch...

That must have been a little disconcerting o.0

That must have been a little disconcerting o.0

Extremely! That would have raised my heart rate for a spell.

As this is my topic, I guess it would be okay if I complain.

Two days ago, I went to the doctor's to check on my ankle. The good news is that I have a pretty new cast. The bad news is that my pretty new cast must stay on for at least four more weeks.

*cries*

As this is my topic, I guess it would be okay if I complain.

Two days ago, I went to the doctor's to check on my ankle. The good news is that I have a pretty new cast. The bad news is that my pretty new cast must stay on for at least four more weeks.

*cries*

Aw. >_<

Aww, I'm sorry, Horatio D:

Did you at least get a better color this time? XD

Of course... I got black. :lol:

Actually I was going to go a little wild and I asked the nurse if she could make it black and yellow stiped.

No yellow. No white either.

BTW, you would have a hard time chosing... there is no red. :lol:

Hopefully this is the last cast, but if I get another one... perhaps I will have to spray paint it. :lol:

For other news... we had an awful snow, rain, ice pellets, rain, freeze event. The trees are covered in ice and look like beautiful crystal branches, but I am certain that many of the trees will suffer major damage as the weight will be too much.

Pictures to follow.

Here are a some pictures:

Pumpkin

Pumpkin.jpg

Hydrangea

Hydrangea.jpg

Holly

Holly.jpg

Tree Bud

Tree Bud.jpg

I'm still learning how to use the camera, so as I figure things out, more pictures will follow.

In the meantime, I took some pictures with my manual camera which has a Macro feature. When those pictures are developed, I will post some of those pictures.

Ooh, I really like the flower picture! Ice looks SO pretty on trees. Most trees don't suffer much damage from ice, unless it's an unusually large amount of ice.

The ice was too much for many pine trees, magnolias and some of the other trees with limbs that were weak. There was quite a bit of damage here. Yesterday you heard the chain saws clearing the branches from the roads.

Today looks like a good day for pictures. It is still really cold, so we still have the ice, but the sun is thinking about coming out. This should make for some sparkly pictures. Now only if I can do a good job with the camera. Yesterday I spent reading the manual and learning more about how to use the focus portion of the camera. Perhaps I will come up with some good close-ups.

Very nice pictures.

If a had a good camera I would go out and make some winter pictures now. However, I just have a mobile making pictures which are quite okay for snapshots, but which are not good.

I'll buy a camera at least before my departure to Australia (and probably one week stopover in Bangkok) in summer.

Very nice pictures.

If a had a good camera I would go out and make some winter pictures now. However, I just have a mobile making pictures which are quite okay for snapshots, but which are not good.

I'll buy a camera at least before my departure to Australia (and probably one week stopover in Bangkok) in summer.

Thanks. I took more pictures today. The sun was out and I tried to take some glittery pictures, but I don't know enough to make that happen. Back to reading the manual. :lol:

That would be a great idea to buy a good camera for your adventure. If I may, I would suggest buying a second battery and a second memory card. These were the two items I purchased and I am quite pleased that I did.

More pictures:

Ice Bushes

Ice Bush.jpg

Ice Bush 2.jpg

Ice Branches

Ice Branch.jpg

Ice Branch 2.jpg

Iced Myrtle

Iced Myrtle.jpg

Ice Holly

Ice Holly.jpg

Hydrangea and Holly

Hydrangea and Holly.jpg

Power Lines

Power Lines.jpg

Okay, that's enough to bore you all silly.

I'm still learning so please bear with me while I overwhelm you with dumb pictures.

More pictures:

Ice Bushes

post-678-126499122257_thumb.jpg

post-678-126499126287_thumb.jpg

Ice Branches

post-678-12649912947_thumb.jpg

post-678-126499181744_thumb.jpg

Iced Myrtle

post-678-126499185226_thumb.jpg

Ice Holly

post-678-126499187994_thumb.jpg

Hydrangea and Holly

post-678-126499190301_thumb.jpg

Power Lines

post-678-126499193948_thumb.jpg

Okay, that's enough to bore you all silly.

I'm still learning so please bear with me while I overwhelm you with dumb pictures.

Reminds me of the ice storm my town had a few years ago. Everything was frozen. It was really pretty, but there were so many power outages no one really noticed.

Thanks everyone! I figured I would be boring you with nonsense while I tried to learn how to use this supercomputer. The next trials will be airplane, airport, etc. pictures. It will be great to get back to work and try and take some photographs of what my eyes see.

The really amazing thing is that for the first time in my life, I have actually read the manual. Well, not sat down and read it from cover to cover, but pretty close. When I went down to Alabama the other day, I was attempting to photograph a guy's collection of about 200 things. Well, just about two hours into what would be a ten hour day... I got this message that my memory card could be damaged and must be removed. Seeing as how I purchased an 8 GB card, I didn't think I would be needing another, so I didn't have a back-up. After reading the book again, I found out that the card was not a manufacturer approved for my camera. Even the camera store guy didn't know that. He has been in the business all his life. The store was his father's and he worked in while growing up, then took over the business when his father passed away. Now I have the card from the correct manufacturer, but this time I purchased a 16 mb card. LOL They didn't have any SD cards or I would have a back up, but I did order one of those. Wish me luck.

For other news, my new bike is in!!!!! The bad news is that I can't get it. *cries... a lot* Well, not at least until my cast is removed. Then I need to verify with the doctor that I can ride. I can't see why not, but who knows.

There is one other thing... I have enrolled in a couple classes at the local university. Before I start class on the 15th, I need to take an English Competency exam. I am not so sure about this. LOL Of all the subjects... they pick my worst one! Of course, I also need a math test, but I'm not too worried about that one. Well, the Trig part I probably won't remember, but I can study a little on that.

Anyway that's all the news I have.

Things are crazy nowadays. x___x The graphing calculator I bought a couple weeks ago has an operating system. IT IS A CALCULATOR WHY DOES IT NEED AN OS.

What classes are you taking? O: When I started at the college I'm going to, I had to take some math and English tests, too. They weren't too bad. From what I remember, the English test is mostly grammar stuff.

Things are crazy nowadays. x___x The graphing calculator I bought a couple weeks ago has an operating system. IT IS A CALCULATOR WHY DOES IT NEED AN OS.

What classes are you taking? O: When I started at the college I'm going to, I had to take some math and English tests, too. They weren't too bad. From what I remember, the English test is mostly grammar stuff.

Your calculator needs an operating system so it can out-think you and make you crazy. :lol:

I'm taking two courses, Aircraft Accident Investigation and Aviation Safety Program Management. Should be interesting, I hope.

And that English test was easy for you... but English is my worst subject.

Calculators don't need an OS to be better at math than I am <_<

Those classes sound cool O: And relevant to your interests!

OHOH, you would appreciate this. I was joking around with a friend of mine from Australia, and the result was that she ended up sending me a kangaroo plushie. But it's a special kanga, because it's dressed as a pilot! XD Aviator goggles, the hat the scarf, and a leather jacket! It supports the Royal Flying Doctor Service =3

Calculators don't need an OS to be better at math than I am <_>

Those classes sound cool O: And relevant to your interests!

OHOH, you would appreciate this. I was joking around with a friend of mine from Australia, and the result was that she ended up sending me a kangaroo plushie. But it's a special kanga, because it's dressed as a pilot! XD Aviator goggles, the hat the scarf, and a leather jacket! It supports the Royal Flying Doctor Service =3

You are so right! What a very special kanga!!! The Royal Flying Doctor Service! What a great cause!!! Please post a picture or drawing!

Horatio: I doubt the test will be too hard. If you're taking these courses in FL, the test is probably because you have so many Spanish-speaking immigrants in the area that would have a hard time in the classes. The math will be important to understand the accidents and such.

MK: You get the SAT's or ACT. Same concept I'm sure. :P

Horatio: I doubt the test will be too hard. If you're taking these courses in FL, the test is probably because you have so many Spanish-speaking immigrants in the area that would have a hard time in the classes. The math will be important to understand the accidents and such.

MK: You get the SAT's or ACT. Same concept I'm sure. :P

Thank you Jesusfreak. You are probably right. Good thing they are pass-fail. :lol:

OHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I just looked outside! SNOW!!! Lots and lots of snow! And for Memphis, I do mean lots! A few inches at least!

Okay, for you people in the midwest, this is nothing, but for Memphis, this is the equivalent of a blizzard!

Pictures to follow... maybe.

I just looked outside! SNOW!!! Lots and lots of snow! And for Memphis, I do mean lots! A few inches at least!

Okay, for you people in the midwest, this is nothing, but for Memphis, this is the equivalent of a blizzard!

We got a lot of snow this past weekend, and are supposed to get more tomorrow night/Wednesday. They're saying 10-18 inches for the incoming storm last I checked. o.O

We got a lot of snow this past weekend, and are supposed to get more tomorrow night/Wednesday. They're saying 10-18 inches for the incoming storm last I checked. o.O

If it is the storm that was here, it goes on for a couple days. Snow fell, followed by rain, freezing rain, sleet, then some rain, snow, rain, and this evening more snow with freezing temperatures to make driving creative. What a mess. Of course, I cleaned the driveway. That's the only reason it will snow again. :lol:

IT IS A CALCULATOR WHY DOES IT NEED AN OS.

Nowadays everthing has an OS. We have several PCR machines (these just heat stuff to different temperature in a pre-programmed pattern), and the newest is running Windows. The others just run simple programs, and they run for many years now. The newest (1 year old) failed yesterday. Bluescreen. Ruined the work of a whole day. Now I prefer the older ones, even though the newer is a bit more convenient to program. :rolleyes:

We were supposed to get about an inch or two and we didn't!

Lucky you. As it already happened several times this winter, after melting of the whole snow the temperatures again dropped dramatically and we got new snow today, to be continued the next days. This is getting boring...

At least I'm living in one of the warmest (well, lets better say less coldest :lol: ) parts of Germany, so we have comparably little snow. The highest this winter was maybe 10 inches one time. Fortunately, it is always melting before new snow is falling, otherwise we would have 30 or so.

IT IS A CALCULATOR WHY DOES IT NEED AN OS.

Nowadays everthing has an OS. We have several PCR machines (these just heat stuff to different temperature in a pre-programmed pattern), and the newest is running Windows. The others just run simple programs, and they run for many years now. The newest (1 year old) failed yesterday. Bluescreen. Ruined the work of a whole day. Now I prefer the older ones, even though the newer is a bit more convenient to program. :rolleyes:

The blue screen of death. :(

We were supposed to get about an inch or two and we didn't!

Lucky you. As it already happened several times this winter, after melting of the whole snow the temperatures again dropped dramatically and we got new snow today, to be continued the next days. This is getting boring...

At least I'm living in one of the warmest (well, lets better say less coldest :lol: ) parts of Germany, so we have comparably little snow. The highest this winter was maybe 10 inches one time. Fortunately, it is always melting before new snow is falling, otherwise we would have 30 or so.

Now we have lots and lots of mud.

Today is a pretty sad day for me. Yesterday I went to the dry cleaners and was informed that one of the ladies who worked there had died in a house fire. Gail was more than just one of the faces that you see working the counter. She had become a very special person to me. The story goes back to a day when I didn't plan very well and called to ask her to allow me to pick up my uniform after the store had closed. She said sure, as long as she was able to leave on time to catch her bus. It was a pretty cold, rainy night and I arrived in my warm car, picked up my uniform in time for her to finish closing and be on time for her bus. Before I left, I asked her if she would like me to give her a ride home. She said no thanks. I departed and drove away, but then realized that this was wrong, so I circled around and stopped by the bus stop. I was adamant that I give her a ride home. She didn't take the ride all the way home, but to the cafeteria where her brother worked. There were times after that when I would go by the bus stop looking for her. One day, when I walked into the cleaners, Gail told me she had bought a car. This really made me feel really good. No matter how the day was going, Gail would always put on a smile and make you feel special. But now I felt like she had included me into her world with the good news.

When I walked into the store yesterday, I saw the flowers around the counter area where Gail worked and I asked what they were for. Mayra, the other lady working the counter, told me they were for Gail. Feeling excited, I thought maybe it was her birthday or other cheerful event. That is when I heard the news. There was a house fire and one of the brothers was able to get out and call for help. The other brother jumped from the bedroom window, but survived with minor injuries. Somehow the father escaped, but Gail and her mother had to be rescued by the firemen. Gail's mother passed away that afternoon in the hospital and Gail hung on, but had no brain activity. She passed away a few days later. I couldn't help but cry. My heart hurts. I feel like I lost more than an acquaintance, I feel like the world has lost a very special person.

This post is for Gail. May you rest in peace. There won't ever be a day that I pass that bus station without thinking of you. You will be missed.

For Gail.JPG

Oh how sad. Must be really strange for you now to pass this bus stop...

This must be horrible now for her brothers and the father who survived. Lost close relatives, and probably in the fire also all mementos.

Housefires are really dangerous. Well, this should be a reminder for everybody to install smoke alarms. I installed them after I have seen the barn where my mother had her horses burning several years ago. I arrived when all horses were already rescued (some had burn marks). Fortunately nobody was injured (despite of a little injury of the police officer who tried to prevent my mother and a farm worker from entering the burning barn). This incident made me really thinking of how fast this also could happen in a house, especially with all the electric devices...

Oh how sad. Must be really strange for you now to pass this bus stop...

This must be horrible now for her brothers and the father who survived. Lost close relatives, and probably in the fire also all mementos.

Housefires are really dangerous. Well, this should be a reminder for everybody to install smoke alarms. I installed them after I have seen the barn where my mother had her horses burning several years ago. I arrived when all horses were already rescued (some had burn marks). Fortunately nobody was injured (despite of a little injury of the police officer who tried to prevent my mother and a farm worker from entering the burning barn). This incident made me really thinking of how fast this also could happen in a house, especially with all the electric devices...

Exactly. Passing the bus stop is awful. It is going to take a bit of time to get over the shock.

Although I don't know, I am certain they did not have smoke alarms. We check ours the twice a year to make sure they are operational and have good batteries.

As for your mother's barn fire, I am so happy that no one was injured and the horses were safe. One of the big problems in this area is space heaters. These cause fires more than you would care to know. When it gets cold here, people do not want to spend money on the electric bill, so they use space heaters to save money and stay warm. The space heaters were not meant to do the job of the house heat.

Jesusfreak and - Kat -, thanks for your thoughts. After a bit of time, I will go back to the Picadilly cafeteria and see her brother. But not for a while, I need some time to pass. I cannot imagine what the family members are going through. She also had two children who were with the father the night of the fire. I plan on checking on them as well.

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!

post-678-126617838295_thumb.gif

HAPPY SINGLES AWARENESS DAY

:B

im not so much concerned about fitting in with everyone else, having a valentine, but everyone moaning and groaning and complaining about how lonely they are on V-day makes me rage.

I stayed home and played Wii Sports Resort with my dad. He didn't quite figure out how to do the frisbee games.

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!

heart.gif

HAPPY SINGLES AWARENESS DAY

:B

im not so much concerned about fitting in with everyone else, having a valentine, but everyone moaning and groaning and complaining about how lonely they are on V-day makes me rage.

I stayed home and played Wii Sports Resort with my dad. He didn't quite figure out how to do the frisbee games.

Another Hallmark Holiday. People make too much of being alone, lonely, not having a valentine sweetheart. I took the time to study, call, text some of my friends and send silly squirrel valentines messages. For me it is more about making sure I contact friends who I have forgotten during the year.

I get frustrated at the people who whine that nobody loves them and they're all alone on V-Day. D< Go out with friends! Spend time with family! They love you lots!

We had a verra nice dinner and my daddy got me chocolates =3

Wow, Horatio, I'm so sorry to hear about Gail. I do hope her family's alright.

Lots of snow!! Snow for me is a cold night and the frost at 7am just as the sun comes up and you leave tracks in the grass. Beautiful...but pitiful.

And yes! Happy valentines day!!!! <3!

Lots of snow!! Snow for me is a cold night and the frost at 7am just as the sun comes up and you leave tracks in the grass. Beautiful...but pitiful.

And yes! Happy valentines day!!!!

Thanks for the thoughts about Gail. Her family is having a very, very hard time.

Snow is best when you look at pictures of it up North and hear Jesusfreak tell stories about it. :D

And yes! Happy valentines day!!!! <3!

Thanks for the thoughts about Gail. Her family is having a very, very hard time.

Snow is best when you look at pictures of it up North and hear Jesusfreak tell stories about it. :D

As a Floridian who last saw snow in 2008 on a three day trip to NC, I'm going to say I prefer snow in real life.

Aww, what trouble are you having with it being online?

One instructor doesn't seem to be there. There was a syllabus posted, the questions for the week were posted, a meet and greet, then...

POOF! Nothing. I posted my answers to the questions and was the first one to start threads for the questions of the week, but there has been very little discussion by anyone. Very strange.

The other instructor is the complete opposite... lots of interaction as far as he has posted questions within the discussion section, and started all the threads. All the students have to do is post their answers. Then I am guessing that I am to respond to other posted answers to the questions. I'm totally not sure.

Anyway, I have to select a topic for my paper by the end of next week and I have no idea whatsoever.

That is just the tip of the iceberg.

And yes! Happy valentines day!!!!

As a Floridian who last saw snow in 2008 on a three day trip to NC, I'm going to say I prefer snow in real life.

Start scraping the snow and ice off your car when you need to drive somewhere... better yet as Jesusfreak about shoveling her car out. :lol:

That's pretty sad that the professor seems to be unavailable. This might be a silly question, but have you tried emailing your professor directly?

Also on snow: I love snow, not such a huge fan of it when it's in my way though.

I emailed him once to find out if I could post in the first Discussion Group or did he start the thread in each Discussion Group and we respond, it took him almost forty-eight hours to reply and he said "Go for it." Oooooooooooo Kay. I did. He never resurfaced. Not even in the meet and greet student area.

I like snow...

when it is up North and I am down South. :lol:

Wow, that's kinda sad. Some professors are slow at checking email, but you'd think the online ones would be better about it. =/

GRRRRRRRRR!

I had to take three quizzes. There was a Syllabus Quiz, Chapter 1 Quiz and Chapter 2 Quiz. Well, who would think you are going to be tested on the Syllabus?????????????? And then there were two questions that were stupid semantics. So, out of 10, I missed two and I am sooooo mad! These were just stupid word game questions. When I looked at the True/False answer, I was stumped as it was both answers. So, I selected the wrong answer.

The other two quizzes were borderline not-so-good. During one quiz I did a stupid move and navigated backwards to check an answer without saving my answer... the answer disappeared. *cries* Remaining was one minute to input a four minute answer for a question worth four points.

This was a disaster. :(

And the instructor still has not surfaced. :rolleyes:

He'll have to appear to grade the tests. :lol:

The syllabus quiz is just to make sure people read it lol, because a lot of people don't read them. And yeah, online quizzes can be tricky.

I hate word games and this is exactly what this professor's quizzes were. It was not about knowledge but about words. I know the two questions that I got wrong without even seeing the test, which is hidden. They were two questions that were poorly written. One of them had to do with student involvement and the instructor used the words 'posting to the 'blackboard' and we are not posting to the blackboard, but in the 'Discussion Group'. The entire method by which you enter the site is the 'blackboard', but you are not posting to the blackboard, you are posting in a forum called the 'Discussion Group'. The other question that I know I got wrong was one question where it talked about week seven and the critique being due. A critique is due and it is in the safety assessment project, but you are posting a critique of another student's work, not critiquing the safety assesment project. So I answered the question incorrectly. The instructor is probably looking at me as a problem as I have already sent him feedback saying that his questions are poorly written and are ambiguous. I am probably the only student who got this wrong, but I vented anyway.

Now I have a whole new set of stuff to do.

I'm wondering if I need to have my head examined. LOL

Vent time...

We have a place in Memphis called a 'crash pad'. This is where pilot's can pay to stay for a night, week, month. We only let two people stay with us, and that was one at a time. Pilots know that crash pads are not free and that there are rules. The rules are things such as: if the phone rings, pick it up. It does not matter if you know that no one is calling you, as it is not your cell phone, you answer the phone. It might be crew scheduling. Pick up the phone. Another rule is not eating any food that is not yours. Keeping the bathroom clean is another rule. Well, I let this First Officer come into our crash pad and the first thing he did was have me totally rearrange the furniture to suit him, bringing down a desk from upstairs, different lighting, etc.. This was no problem. Well, he assumed that he didn't have to pay for anything. :o WHAT?????????? Then he did things such as the nights before he was to go home for time off, he would do all his wash and then pack his clean clothes in his suitcase. Are you kidding? You don't have a washer and dryer at home? Anyway, we decided that we did not want to be taken advantage anymore so we asked him to find another crash pad. We have a load of furniture coming down, and it is coinciding with him being here, so I had a valid excuse to ask him to leave. When he left, he left the bathroom filthy! Not dirty... really, really filthy!!!!!!!! The sink slime was so deep it was really disgusting. Then he walked off with almost all our hangers. Hey... these are really cheap. Go to the dollar store and buy your own for almost nothing. You had to steal ours?????????? It is not the money, it is the lack of consideration.

Well, I decided that I don't need to do the crash pad thing anymore. We have one guy who comes a couple times a year and is really nice and very considerate. He is still welcome, but no one else. I have already filled that square.

Thanks.

Oh, you use blackboard too? If you have the same thing we have, blackboard is the entire website. So, "posting on blackboard" refers to posting in discussion groups, submitting things in digital dropbox, etc. And yeah, blackboard quizzes aren't that great. You do have to save your answers, can't always go back, and it can be a little glitchy. Luckily, most of my professors preferred using scan-tron exams or simple written ones.

As for your crash pad guest, that's just ridiculous! Some people just have no respect or common sense.

Oh, you use blackboard too? If you have the same thing we have, blackboard is the entire website. So, "posting on blackboard" refers to posting in discussion groups, submitting things in digital dropbox, etc. And yeah, blackboard quizzes aren't that great. You do have to save your answers, can't always go back, and it can be a little glitchy. Luckily, most of my professors preferred using scan-tron exams or simple written ones.

As for your crash pad guest, that's just ridiculous! Some people just have no respect or common sense.

They posted a note about the blackboard and the fact that you can't go back, but I had a little time left and wanted to re-read the answer to the previous question. Won't do that again. I will hit the save button first.

Is there some way to look at the test after it has been graded? I would like to see the questions I got wrong.

Crash pad guest? More like the movie with Michael Keaton where he is a tenant. Was the name of that movie Pacific Heights? Can't remember, but I do remember I turned the movie on and at the first scary part, changed channels. Anyway, I just sent him a text reminding him that he accidentally took my hangers. He will probably ignore it, but I want him to know that I know. GRRRRRRRRRRR.

Depends on how the professor sets it. I'd be willing to bet he doesn't want everyone to see what they got right and wrong until everyone has taken the test so that they don't cheat. (The strategy there would be to get the smart person to take the test first, have their answers checked, and report back to the rest of the classmates.)

Depends on how the professor sets it. I'd be willing to bet he doesn't want everyone to see what they got right and wrong until everyone has taken the test so that they don't cheat. (The strategy there would be to get the smart person to take the test first, have their answers checked, and report back to the rest of the classmates.)

LOL... I work with a bunch of those type guys. LOL

We have a couple quizzes each week and by Monday everyone should have taken the tests or they are blocked out. I'll keep looking. Thanks!

Yeah, then unless the professor has multiple classes taking the same tests at different times, it would be nice of him to let the answers be revealed after a certain date/time when either everyone has taken it or the deadline has passed. Though, I'm not sure if such a setting exists. It might just be an option of show the answers or don't show the answers.

Yeah, then unless the professor has multiple classes taking the same tests at different times, it would be nice of him to let the answers be revealed after a certain date/time when either everyone has taken it or the deadline has passed. Though, I'm not sure if such a setting exists. It might just be an option of show the answers or don't show the answers.

I believe you are correct. He teaches this class on a recurring basis and there is the distinct possibility that he does not change anything. After all, he disappears for the week, shows up on the week-end for the quizzes and make a few posts, then disappears again. I sent him an email almost two days ago about the quizzes. Let's see if he answers by this evening.

Your are suggesting things that I hadn't thought of, and you are absolutely correct.

I don't suppose you have a phone number for your professor? Sometimes it's easier to reach them that way. Online classes tend to be largely independent work on the students' part, so it's not too surprising to me that the professor isn't that active, though he should check his email daily.

I don't suppose you have a phone number for your professor? Sometimes it's easier to reach them that way. Online classes tend to be largely independent work on the students' part, so it's not too surprising to me that the professor isn't that active, though he should check his email daily.

He has a phone number, but he prefaced it with "if urgent". :lol:

I thought these were largely independent, but not at this school. It is a weekly discussion group type thing with quizzes to be accomplished at the end of each week, participation in the discussion and a few other things. No working ahead. You must stay with the class. Very strange. I don't really think I am an on-line type learner. My preference is the classroom.

That is interesting, but it kind of makes sense. Sometimes when people work ahead, they miss important information, and don't think about it as much as if they discuss it and learn with the rest of the class.

Your post stated exactly what the professor said.

That is interesting, but it kind of makes sense. Sometimes when people work ahead, they miss important information, and don't think about it as much as if they discuss it and learn with the rest of the class.

Hehe nice. +1 for having a teacher brain. :lol:

Never was much for the online classes either.. partially because my computer hates blackboard. that, and the way my mind works, doenslt always translate well to formal discussions.

I'm not doing well with the formal discussion, the informal discussions and the discussion groups in general. Next time I go to the classroom setting.

Hehe nice. +1 for having a teacher brain. :lol:

Exactly!!!!! :D

*brings the teacher a Braeburn Apple*

Okay... we have some good news and some bad news.

First, the good news is... MY CAST IS OFF!!!!!! :D

The bad news... I have the boot thingy again alternated with the ankle brace. :(

But the best of all news... I don't need to put on the rubber booty thingy over my cast to get in the shower. :D

And the second to worst of all news... it is going to be the first of April before I can go back to work. And no, that is not an April fool's joke. :(

And the absolutely, positively most worst of all news is... the doctor said, no jogging, no exercising where I am using the ankle with impact (like the machines at the gym), and no MOTORCYCLES until the 1st of April.

*cries*

That means my brand new bike will be three months old and I won't even had a chance to ride it.

*cries again*

Awww :( At least you have a doctor smart enough to tell you no though. It's better to be without those activities for a few months than forever.

Now your are sounding like a teacher again! :lol::lol::lol:

And yes, you are absolutely correct. No activites that might do permanent damage. I agree although that was not the news I wanted to hear. And he is a very good doctor. I do appreciate him.

and no MOTORCYCLES until the 1st of April.

*cries*

That means my brand new bike will be three months old and I won't even had a chance to ride it.

*cries again*

Aww, I would be going mad in your situation.

I didn't ride my bike for more than two months I think. At least snow is completely gone now, temperatures increased a lot (up to +11 °C) and sometimes the sun is shining. I'm looking forward to the weekend, I hope it isn't raining all the time. Then I'll take my Honda for a little ride the first time this year. Acceleration will be amazing again. Now I'm used to muscle power (bicycle) and public transport. :lol:

and no MOTORCYCLES until the 1st of April.

*cries*

*cries again*

Aww, I would be going mad in your situation.

I didn't ride my bike for more than two months I think. At least snow is completely gone now, temperatures increased a lot (up to +11 °C) and sometimes the sun is shining. I'm looking forward to the weekend, I hope it isn't raining all the time. Then I'll take my Honda for a little ride the first time this year. Acceleration will be amazing again. Now I'm used to muscle power (bicycle) and public transport. :lol:

:lol: Just remember not to try and start pedaling. :lol:

Please take a picture... I am going through riding withdrawal. So perhaps I can share in your enjoyment. :D

Well, other people would consider the red ones as boring. They occur in almost whole Europe and Russia, and also in parts of Asia and even on the Japanese island Hokkaido. The gray ones occur in the USA and parts of Canada. They also built up invasive populations in Great Britain, Ireland and Italy and I also have seen them rarely here in Germany. So since they are still very rare over here (even the invasive parakeets and also racoons are much more common :lol: ), they are quite interesting.

It is considered that the gray ones are more competetive in decidous and mixed forests whereas the red ones are more competitive in coniferous forests. So the gray ones will probably outcompete the red squirrels in most parts of southern and central Europe whereas the the red ones will still find their niche for example in northern Europe and Russia. In England they try to prevent this by excessively shooting the gray squirrels. However, history showed that humans never were able to prevent spreading of invasive animals and plants. :rolleyes: