Hampsterdance Discussion Board

Best friend of horatio club!

PARIS !!!!!  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Should I move to Paris?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know.

Okay... we now are having a new domicile bid...

PARIS !!!!!

Soooooooooo, it should open around the first or second week of May and be open for 45 days.

The results will be available after the middle of June!

The new poll will be...

...should I move to Paris if I can hold the bid award???????

:D:D:D:D:D

And yes TBFOF, you will have a room in our cage. LOL

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

I'll take this as a resounding yes. :lol:

Only if I can come visit, every other day.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PARIS !!!!!

Soooooooooo, it should open around the first or second week of May and be open for 45 days.

The new poll will be...

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

You will have a key to the cage, so you can come every day if you wish.

PARIS !!!!!

The new poll will be...

I reallllllly miss it so much.

That city was perfecttttt for me. I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed it.

I'm definitely an urban person, I hate (my city) so much.

PARIS !!!!!

The new poll will be...

That city was perfecttttt for me. I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed it.

You just hate your city, because you live there. :lol:

PARIS !!!!!

The new poll will be...

I pretty much hate any suburban city.

Actually, there is a lot to do in my city, but its just not urban enough for me.

And Manhattan is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too expensive to live there.

... Well I guess Paris is too, but atleast it's beautiful, cleaner, and safer.

PARIS !!!!!

The new poll will be...

Actually, there is a lot to do in my city, but its just not urban enough for me.

Actually there are lots of inexpensive places to live in Paris. You will be walking up and not have an enormous place.

In the city, you will find lots of students and most live downtown.

PARIS !!!!!

The new poll will be...

Actually there are lots of inexpensive places to live in Paris. You will be walking up and not have an enormous place.

I loved the Latin Quarter.

Cheap little shops, awesome cafes, etc.

I'd be content living anywhere there.

PARIS !!!!!

The new poll will be...

I loved the Latin Quarter.

Cheap little shops, awesome cafes, etc.

I'd be content living anywhere there.

Hopefully I will be awarded the bid, if so, you have a room in the cage.

• 2 weeks later...

Atlanta is a terrific city! After spending a week there, I could go back. There is a beautiful park, called Piedmont Park, that I spent every afternoon visiting. Many of the old gorgeous mansions are being torn down to make way for condos which is sad, as the architects should find a way to incorporate the old mansion into the new condos. Of course, that would take effort and talent, and who wants to work when this would require efforts beyond the box thinking. And I am truly trying to understand who all these 1/2 million dollar condos are being built for. There are lots and lots of new, empty condos. But, that is the downside. The Park is fantastic and a great place for an afternoon.

Atlanta is a terrific city! After spending a week there, I could go back. There is a beautiful park, called Piedmont Park, that I spent every afternoon visiting. Many of the old gorgeous mansions are being torn down to make way for condos which is sad, as the architects should find a way to incorporate the old mansion into the new condos. Of course, that would take effort and talent, and who wants to work when this would require efforts beyond the box thinking. And I am truly trying to understand who all these 1/2 million dollar condos are being built for. There are lots and lots of new, empty condos. But, that is the downside. The Park is fantastic and a great place for an afternoon.

I was doing some research on the new apartment building I'm going to be living in next year, and it's really cool. They want the new buildings to be LEED certified (it's an environmentally friendly thing). So they're doing things like using certain materials and ventilation systems, getting materials as locally as possible, and recycling the leftovers. The most interesting thing I learned though, was that when they were clearing the land to build, they used horses to move the trees that had been cut down because it was environmentally friendly. I thought that was pretty cool.

I was doing some research on the new apartment building I'm going to be living in next year, and it's really cool. They want the new buildings to be LEED certified (it's an environmentally friendly thing). So they're doing things like using certain materials and ventilation systems, getting materials as locally as possible, and recycling the leftovers. The most interesting thing I learned though, was that when they were clearing the land to build, they used horses to move the trees that had been cut down because it was environmentally friendly. I thought that was pretty cool.

Outstanding!!! I would have loved to see that. Environmentally constructed buildings are the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...
Bump

Thanks. I needed that. :)

What did you think of that airplane picture?

Is there any significance to it?

Would that make a difference?

I like that old airplane.

Is it just an old airplane or is there more to it that I'm missing? :wacko:

It is an old airplane that is called a Curtiss Commando (C-46). It flew The Hump in World War II. This is my favorite airplane of all time.

This particular airplane flew in Alaska and then down in Miami.

But I must admit, you are pretty intuitive. :lol:

For other news... for the first practice bid, I can hold Paris.

Let's hope this trend continues and I can hold it when the bid closes. :D

June 2nd is the next practice bid. Let's see what happens.

Bump

It is an old airplane that is called a Curtiss Commando (C-46). It flew The Hump in World War II. This is my favorite airplane of all time.

How exactly does this big work?

Bump

How exactly does this bid work?

We have a seniority system which means that many of the options we have are handed out in the order you were hired.

For example, every month we have a work schedule bid. This means that we have to bid for our monthly schedules each month and in the order we were hired is who gets to make the first choice. On the Airbus, I am bidding about 267 out of 488 captains. So, there are 266 people in front of me that will get to choose which schedule they want to work. That is called the monthly bid. In a system bid, this means that all the pilots are bidding on which airplanes and which seat (captain, first officer, second officer) they want to fly. These are also filled in the seniority order. (First hired gets the first choice.) In the overall system, I am bidding in the low 1300's out of 4700 plus pilots. Now you have to choose between three things, airplane, seat position, and domicile. For example, the MD-11 has three domiciles, Memphis, Anchorage and Los Angeles. The A-300 has three domiciles, Memphis, Hong Kong and the new domicile, Paris. So, you put combinations of what you want to fly and there are a set number of openings in each airplane, seat (captain, first officer, second officer) and domicile combination. When the seats are filled you will get the opening that is available when it is your turn to bid. At the moment, I would be number 27 out of 43. But this is the first practice bid and there will be a couple more before the bid closes. There is a lot that can change.

Hope I have not totally confused you.,

Bump

We have a seniority system which means that many of the options we have are handed out in the order you were hired.

For example, every month we have a work schedule bid. This means that we have to bid for our monthly schedules each month and in the order we were hired is who gets to make the first choice. On the Airbus, I am bidding about 267 out of 488 captains. So, there are 266 people in front of me that will get to choose which schedule they want to work. That is called the monthly bid. In a system bid, this means that all the pilots are bidding on which airplanes and which seat (captain, first officer, second officer) they want to fly. These are also filled in the seniority order. (First hired gets the first choice.) In the overall system, I am bidding in the low 1300's out of 4700 plus pilots. Now you have to choose between three things, airplane, seat position, and domicile. For example, the MD-11 has three domiciles, Memphis, Anchorage and Los Angeles. The A-300 has three domiciles, Memphis, Hong Kong and the new domicile, Paris. So, you put combinations of what you want to fly and there are a set number of openings in each airplane, seat (captain, first officer, second officer) and domicile combination. When the seats are filled you will get the opening that is available when it is your turn to bid. At the moment, I would be number 27 out of 43. But this is the first practice bid and there will be a couple more before the bid closes. There is a lot that can change.

I got it for the most part. The part that confused me before was when you said bid, I was thinking money.

Bump

I got it for the most part. The part that confused me before was when you said bid, I was thinking money.

:lol: Sort of like money. The bigger the airplane, the higher the seat, the more the money. :lol:

For example, next month, on our monthly bid, I was awarded Lubbock. My trips will be back and forth from Memphis to Lubbock and return.

Hello from Puerto Rico! :)

Ohhh I've always wanted to visit there! It looks like such a beautiful laid back type of place!

I will try and take a couple of photographs. Puerto Rico is a beautiful place. For a holiday they have wonderful beaches and it is a very laid back place. :)

No pictures of Puerto Rico... rain, rain and more rain.

More rain than they have every seen in quite a long time.

Oh no!

Well I guess that's a good thing for them.

It makes the vegetation more beautiful, but they had flooding. So it was sort of a good news, bad news situation.

• 2 weeks later...
Third practice bid is out and I am still on it. :D

But...

bad news...

the final bid has been delayed until the end of July. :(

Nuuuuu! The suspense must be killing you! :wacko:

True!!!!!!!!

I hate missing the summer in Paris!!!!!!! My plan was to head over as soon as the bid was awarded and I got a slot.

*cries*

HEY HORATIO

I felt this question was too trivial for its own tawpeek in the Questions Forum place, so I'm asking here.

Would it be alright to make a tawpeek (Tall Peak?) where people can post humorous pictures they they either made themselves or found on the internet, as long as the pictures are appropriate and have no links on them?

*sees Arkcher lurking, yet again*

Just got a lot of drama happening offline, events that need attending and travels I get drafted in to.

And I usually leave HD open in a tab on Firefox, and forget to close it, being distracted with like 8 others. :c

yeah, no, My dad still doesnt have a job after four months. This whole hope-y change-y thing sure it working out for America. :­D

Ridiculous financial strain on us locally, and suddenly our other distant relatives get us dragged in to their troubles what with abusive relationships and restraining orders and deaths in the family and bumming money off of us, when we don't really have anything to hand out.

so i'm still around, carry about your merry way, I'll get back in the internets action soon enough. Just need to sort things out that affect me more directly.

HEY HORATIO

I felt this question was too trivial for its own tawpeek in the Questions Forum place, so I'm asking here.

Would it be alright to make a tawpeek (Tall Peak?) where people can post humorous pictures they they either made themselves or found on the internet, as long as the pictures are appropriate and have no links on them?

That would be a phenomenal idea!!!

Please do it! :D

*hands MK some freshly baked cookiecakes for her efforts*

*sees Arkcher lurking, yet again*

Just got a lot of drama happening offline, events that need attending and travels I get drafted in to.

And I usually leave HD open in a tab on Firefox, and forget to close it, being distracted with like 8 others. :c

yeah, no, My dad still doesnt have a job after four months. This whole hope-y change-y thing sure it working out for America. :­D

Ridiculous financial strain on us locally, and suddenly our other distant relatives get us dragged in to their troubles what with abusive relationships and restraining orders and deaths in the family and bumming money off of us, when we don't really have anything to hand out.

so i'm still around, carry about your merry way, I'll get back in the internets action soon enough. Just need to sort things out that affect me more directly.

*gives Arkcher a hug*

That stinks. I sure hope that your father gets the job he wants soon. Financial strain is awful.

As for those other relatives... GRRRRRRR.

Sorry to hear you had deaths in the family.

We are here for you if you ever want to talk.

New Paris update... the bid is due to close the 31st of July!!!!!

On the 1st of August I will know if I am moving to Paris!

WHOOOOO HOOO !!!!!!!!

o:

well that'd be pretty cool.

Zomg if you move to Paris!

So, have you brushed up on your french yet?

All I remember from Kindergarten - 7th grade french:

Puis-je prendre de mes chaussures? - Can I take off my shoes? (this could be incorrect...)

Moi aussi. - Me too.

Je ne parle pas français. - I don't speak French.

Je suis un petit fille. - I am a little girl. (From some weird game we played)

Je ne sais pas. - I dunno.

And a few places, colors, fruits, items of clothing, numbers, and nursery rhymes.

But now I speak Spanish! Kinda!

Zomg if you move to Paris!

So, have you brushed up on your french yet?

All I remember from Kindergarten - 7th grade french:

Puis-je prendre de mes chaussures? - Can I take off my shoes? (this could be incorrect...)

Moi aussi. - Me too.

Je ne parle pas français. - I don't speak French.

Je suis un petit fille. - I am a little girl. (From some weird game we played)

Je ne sais pas. - I dunno.

And a few places, colors, fruits, items of clothing, numbers, and nursery rhymes.

But now I speak Spanish! Kinda!

You were missed!!! Welcome back!!!! Please don't stay away so long. :D

My French accent is soooooo bad, that even if I do know the correct word, my accent turns it into something totally different. LOL

My Spanish, German and Italian accent is even worse. And then I only know about 10 phrases and maybe 50 single words. But I am definitely studying.

Happy belated birthday.

My French accent is soooooo bad, that even if I do know the correct word, my accent turns it into something totally different.

With some practice it will be fine. ;)

My French is also bad. The last lesson was approx. 5 years ago... I'll be probably supervised by a Frenchwoman during my master's thesis. She speaks little German. At least we can communicate in English.

A propos speaking English in France- I made the experience that many people don't like to speak English (and also German). However, if you just try to speak some French words, they are very cooperative. There's a very funny video on youtube. Just search for "Speak english in french! Funny!!". :lol:

I took French in 8th Grade, for the sole purpose that I go there for vacation every year...I hated the teacher and the class both. I remember a handful of words, but I can't really do sentence structure or anything. I'm taking German next year (10th Grade). Hopefully that turns out a lot better.

:(:unsure::blink::huh::blink::unsure::(

I need a crying emoticon. Yesterday afternoon I found out that the Paris domicile bid has been cancelled.

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Just when I was so very excited to probably be able to move over there.

So... it has been cancelled indefinitely.

C'est la vie.

Unfortunately.

:(

I need a crying emoticon. Yesterday afternoon I found out that the Paris domicile bid has been cancelled.

C'est la vie.

Unfortunately.

OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

-_-

I'm sorrrrrry! I was getting really excited! Is there a reason behind that decision?

C'est la vie.

Unfortunately.

-_-

I'm sorrrrrry! I was getting really excited! Is there a reason behind that decision?

Oh yeah... a million corporate reasons. French law regarding work visas, pilot duty times and other pilot factors, etc..

You would have thought that these details would have been worked out long ago. It is not like we are trying to just make the start up today. They have been working on this for years. :rolleyes:

:(:unsure::blink::huh::blink:

C'est la vie.

Unfortunately.

-_-

Oh yeah... a million corporate reasons. French law regarding work visas, pilot duty times and other pilot factors, etc..

You would have thought that these details would have been worked out long ago. It is not like we are trying to just make the start up today. They have been working on this for years. :rolleyes:

Yeah seriously. :huh: *hugs* Sorry things didn't work out. >_<

:(:unsure::blink::huh::blink:

C'est la vie.

Unfortunately.

-_-

Yeah seriously. :huh: *hugs* Sorry things didn't work out. >_

Thanks! I am following the train of thought that 'things work out for the best'. Now to find out exactly what 'the best' is. :lol:

:(:unsure::huh::blink:

C'est la vie.

Unfortunately.

-_-

Yeah seriously. :huh: *hugs* Sorry things didn't work out. >_<

Thanks! I am following the train of thought that 'things work out for the best'. Now to find out exactly what 'the best' is. :lol:

Maybe next year? :unsure:

C'est la vie.

Unfortunately.

-_-

Yeah seriously. :huh: *hugs* Sorry things didn't work out. >_

Maybe next year? :unsure:

Whenever the company works out the details that caused them to cancel the bid. Date... who knows. :(

• 2 weeks later...

.....and now Horatio has gone missing. o.o Also, I go back on the 7th. Late this year. o.O

Not missing... just using some junk computer that is NOT a Mac and is something that I would toss into the trash.

This computer in the hotel would be best served to be a boat anchor. :lol:

The 7th will be here before you know it.

.....and now Horatio has gone missing. o.o Also, I go back on the 7th. Late this year. o.O

Not missing... just using some junk computer that is NOT a Mac and is something that I would toss into the trash.

Ah okay, I was starting to get a bit worried there lol. And yeah, I know it's gonna come up fast. Dunno if that's good or not.

Ah okay, I was starting to get a bit worried there lol. And yeah, I know it's gonna come up fast. Dunno if that's good or not.

I can read the posts on my iPhone, but when I try to reply to posts that have lots of quotes, it doesn't want to reply in the correct place.

Probably operator error. :lol:

And fast is good because maybe Phil will get back to being his 'old self' once he is back at school.

I can read the posts on my iPhone, but when I try to reply to posts that have lots of quotes, it doesn't want to reply in the correct place.

And fast is good because maybe Phil will get back to being his 'old self' once he is back at school.

I can't hold out hope for that one. Phil's classes tend to be hard, and he doesn't even have his schedule completed yet because somewhere someone messed up his transcript or something when they switched over the course formatting. Also, he was having financial aid problems where the company messed up the numbers, and everything is just a mess. And to make things even more stressful, I think he's going to be rooming with someone he doesn't know.

I can't hold out hope for that one. Phil's classes tend to be hard, and he doesn't even have his schedule completed yet because somewhere someone messed up his transcript or something when they switched over the course formatting. Also, he was having financial aid problems where the company messed up the numbers, and everything is just a mess. And to make things even more stressful, I think he's going to be rooming with someone he doesn't know.

Phil sounds like he has a black cloud hanging over his head. I'm sorry that he has all these problems to deal with. You're right... I don't think things look good for him at the moment. Way too much stress.

Phil sounds like he has a black cloud hanging over his head. I'm sorry that he has all these problems to deal with. You're right... I don't think things look good for him at the moment. Way too much stress.

Yeah. >_< Things are *starting* to look better, but still not quite there yet. His roomie and other two suitemates apparently all seem really cool, and though one of the classes he wanted filled up, he emailed the instructor, and the instructor gave him a permission number to get in anyways. However, he's still stressed over other things. So, the perpetual wait and see.

Yeah. >_

Still have my paws crossed for Phil. He is in my prayers to get his life de-stressed. Who knows if this can happen, but if it could, there is lots of hope for the two of you. Good roomies are a plus. Hope they have some influence in the Phil department and get him to relax and smell the roses.

For other news... another bid was released today. 100 B.777 Captain positions are available. Perhaps I would be lucky and get a slot on this airplane. Paris does not look like a possibility, but this would be a great opportunity to see the Far East. Of course, the bid is open for a few weeks, and there are a couple practice bids, but let's not get excited. There are 1300 pilots senior to me that could take the 100 slots. Of course, not everyone wants to be locked into an airplane for 20 hours at a time, but I could do this.

Will keep you posted.

Sadly, I don't have the attention span to read all those pages I've missed out on since I last logged on heeeere.

Hello Horatio.

Please pleeeaaaseeee badger me into getting on here more often.

I'd ask you how life is, but I could probably figure that out by reading

ATTENTIONSPANFAIL.

Sadly, I don't have the attention span to read all those pages I've missed out on since I last logged on heeeere.

Hello Horatio.

ATTENTIONSPANFAIL.

:lol: I couldn't read all those pages either. :lol:

As for me... work, work and more work. I am hoping that we have a bid where I can move to Paris, but that fell through. So now I am looking at hopefully getting a bid to fly the Boeing 777. The bid closes on the 16th, I think, so no decision until then. Some of the flights will be from Memphis, Tennessee to Shanghai, China, non-stop. That would be a very long time in an airplane, but I think the flying would be awesome.

Not much else is new. My hamster life is fairly boring according to some standards. :lol:

Hello Horatio.

ATTENTIONSPANFAIL.

As for me... work, work and more work. I am hoping that we have a bid where I can move to Paris, but that fell through. So now I am looking at hopefully getting a bid to fly the Boeing 777. The bid closes on the 16th, I think, so no decision until then. Some of the flights will be from Memphis, Tennessee to Shanghai, China, non-stop. That would be a very long time in an airplane, but I think the flying would be awesome.

Not much else is new. My hamster life is fairly boring according to some standards. :lol:

Well good to hear you're not doing too terribly!

My life has been a bit of an emotional rollercoaster... especially in this past week.

But other than that, I've been well.

And I'm not sure I could deal with all that flying

Hello Horatio.

ATTENTIONSPANFAIL.

Well good to hear you're not doing too terribly!

My life has been a bit of an emotional rollercoaster... especially in this past week.

But other than that, I've been well.

And I'm not sure I could deal with all that flying

Emotional rollercoasters are hard. I'm sorry that you are having to deal with these problems. If you need to talk, we are here.

As for everything else, glad to hear you are doing okay. That's important.

The length of the trips you fly would be long, but the amount of times you have to show up for work would be decreased. So... a tough decision.

Herro everyone! Long time no see! I've left this site and came back a dozen times, but I plan on staying back! I miss all you guys, you all are truly a dedicated and wonderful bunch.

HAMSTER LUVER !!!!!!!!!!!

Whoaaaaaaaaaa! What a day! I am soooooo excited to see you!!!!!!!

You need to come back regularly and post. Why don't you make your own topic and I will pin it!

Whoo hoo!!!

So... what's been happening? How are you? What are you doing?

I was so excited to see Wildcat, Hamster Luver and Erendayu, that I totally forgot to update you all on the news. The bid closed and the results were posted. I received a Captain slot on the Boeing 777. Training dates to be posted in a week.

B777 picture will appear in a couple posts.

I was so excited to see Wildcat, Hamster Luver and Erendayu, that I totally forgot to update you all on the news. The bid closed and the results were posted. I received a Captain slot on the Boeing 777. Training dates to be posted in a week.

B777 picture will appear in a couple posts.

:D

Awesome!

Thanks! But let's save those congratulations until AFTER I finish training. I have lots of school to go through and that might not be until a year or so from now. The training letters come out next week, so I will find my date.

In the meantime, just a trivial fact... the engine is so big, that you could fit a B737 fuselage into the engine. That is an amazingly large engine!!!!!! 110,000 pounds of thrust per engine and the B777 has two engines. WHOA!!!!!!!!!

I can see why that airplane would require extra training then. @_@

Actually the FAA requires an approved training program for all airplanes. To go to a new airplane and be subjected to the training programs is usually quite stressful as your career can be on the line. With the automation, the B777 actually has a shorter training program than my current airplane, the Airbus. As the airplanes get newer, they come with so many improved and automated features, that the training footprint can actually get shorter. The training letter should come out by the end of this week. I am hoping the training is not too far away.

Still, I cannot imagine flying non-stop from Memphis to China. That is a long, long time in an airplane. :o

Ah that makes sense. I would imagine that for a long flight like that, it would be easy to automate the bulk of it.

It automates all kinds of great things. Too boring to mention, but very exciting when it comes to flying!

As for other news... rain has been the norm for over a week now. Yesterday we had some sunshine, and things were looking up, but when I woke up this morning... more rain. I usually like rain, but my rain-o-meter is pegged and we need lots of sun. Mushroom_king would feel right at home as the mushrooms are everywhere, and they are monstrous! :o

It's been raining nonstop here too!

In fact, right now it's sooo gray and depressing.

And when it isn't raining, it's like 98% humidity.

I despise humidity...

Unfortunately, we are having the same exact weather.

I don't mind humidity in Florida, but in Memphis it is down right awful.

Yesterday was my simulator checkride. Yippee!!! I passed with "no debrief" items. How happy I am. You have no idea just how hard I worked to make that a smooth ride. Anyway, that is over and I have already printed out the new curriculum for my next checkride. That one is six-months away, but I am already starting to prepare.

Today I have a afternoon trip to Cleveland. This will be nice. :)

This has been an exciting couple days. As I had mentioned, I took my checkride and passed. :D Then I flew an "Out and Back" trip from Memphis up to Cleveland and back. We got back about midnight then I was home and in bed by 01H30. The bad thing was that I could not get to sleep until around 04H00. :(

Anyway, I was planning on riding my bike up to Cape Girardeau, Missouri to take part in a Guinness World Book of Records Event. Cape Girardeau is a good three hours away from Memphis on a good day with no delays. Not being able to sleep, I am thinking about cancelling. Turned off my alarm and figured that if I woke up, I would go and if I missed it, that would be okay. Well, I woke up about 08H00, feeling pretty good, I jumped into the shower, hopped on my bike and took off. The weather looked very, ominous. Dark, low clouds were everywhere and there were patches of fog. I saw indications of wet pavement and was waiting for the rains which never came. As I crossed the bridge over the Mississippi River, the fog made the view a Kodak moment. Problem is that I could not stop and taking a picture with the iPhone while trying to ride was not a possibility. Construction crews are working on the bridge and both sides are down to one lane. Passed into Arkansas and the weather started to look better. It looked like I would get there with about 30 minutes to spare. The cut-off time was twelve noon. Because I rushed out of the house, I had not had my morning coffee, which by now was important and very much on my mind. Looking for a Chevron or BP gas station get off the freeway a couple times, only to find the station closed and the building empty. No gas, no coffee. I venture into Blytheville, Arkansas and ventured right out as quickly as I went in. No BP and I don't think that the entire state has a Chevron. After four failed attempts, no gas, more important, NO coffee, I finally stop at a truck stop and get gas, coffee and the worst cinammon roll cupcake I have ever attempted to eat. The coffee was downed as fast as I could possibly stand and the cinammon roll cupcake was tossed into the trash after attempting to take one bite. The theory here being, if it looks like you shouldn't eat it, don't.

Moving on, I had just about one hour traveling time remaining, and now I was one-half hour late on my schedule. I arrived, registered and was issued #189. Happy to have at least made the registration for the parade, I now had time to wander around for about a bit. Nate Kern, currently the only person permitted to ride and race the S1000RR for BMW, was there and I got to meet him. Terrific guy. Had my second cup of coffee and went out to sit on the new S1000RR. Got my picture taken sitting on the new bike! SWEEEEEEEEEET! The owner of the Grassroots BMW Motorcycle shop advised me that my bike has now begun production. My number is in red, signifying it will soon be born. How exciting. I have never followed a bike from the order, to a collection of parts to the finished product before. It should be ready to ship to the USA in November. Then is just a matter of paying for it. Unfortunately that is the only downside. :lol:

There were a couple bands, lots of food and the rumour that the registration had exceeded the number of preprinted stickers. This meant that we had passed the 200 mark. At least I had just made it. An announcement is made for everyone to gather for the instructions on how to proceed. Guinness Book of World Records has a strict procedure that must be followed or else you don't get recognized. Now to suit up and get on our bikes. Let the fun begin! The police had the two mile route set out. We're off. The coolest thing is that there were lots of people who came out of their houses, cars pulled over on the side of the road, and just others who were there to watch. There were lots of other type motorcycles, but they were not permitted into the parade. Only BMW's. We followed the two mile route, passed back in front of the shop, which was required, then into the parking lot. One idiot pulled off to the left about 100 feet prior to passing the shop, so he was eliminated from the total count. WHAT WAS HE THINKING?!?!?!?!? He was unable to rejoin the group as the rules were strict. So... instead of 242, we ended up with 241 BMW motorcycles in a two mile parade. We had broken the record by almost double!!!!!!

Got some food, another cup of coffee, then joined the group for the door prizes. Usually I never win, so I don't pay attention. Well, I hear my name being called and won a fantastic bag that sits on the tank of my motorcycle!!! I was totally stunned! After all this, I decide to head home. After thanking the owner for all his efforts in organizing and putting on this event, I met up with another lady for the ride home. It was a great ride home, except for the part when we are getting ready to cross the bridge over the Mississippi. We got separated, and I ended up well ahead. The traffic compressed from three crowded lanes into one. That took forever. Okay, now comes the stupid part... after crossing the bridge, the lanes opened up. I ended up in the wrong lane and started heading wrong direction. :wacko: Not a big problem, but it will now add time onto my trip. Then I make another wrong turn. Ugh! It took a while, but I passed Graceland, waved to Elvis then got back on track.

Arrived home, after having a phenomenal day.

There will be a couple pictures posted of the group and my sticker later.

votenoooo.PNG

I can't vote that your post is awesome.

:c

I didn't know that we could do that. But thanks.

What I forgot to say was that on my way taxiing out for take-off on Friday, we were about halfway down the runway when we heard the Memphis Ground Controller respond to an airport vehicle that "It's on a seven mile final." The "it" was our brand new B777!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here it is on landing. It doesn't look big in the picture, but believe me... it is HUGE!

photo-3.jpg

post-765-125408970815_thumb.png

What I forgot to say was that on my way taxiing out for take-off on Friday, we were about halfway down the runway when we heard the Memphis Ground Controller respond to an airport vehicle that "It's on a seven mile final." The "it" was our brand new B777!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here it is on landing. It doesn't look big in the picture, but believe me... it is HUGE!

post-678-125410715042_thumb.jpg

http://www.hampsterboard.com/board/index.php?showtopic=5533&view=findpost&p=150595

looks like a pretty legit plane.

o:

votenoooo.PNG

photo-3.jpg

http://www.hampsterboard.com/board/index.php?showtopic=5533&view=findpost&p=150595

looks like a pretty legit plane.

o:

If you can imagine this... the wing span is 212' 7" across. The tail is 61' 1" high. From the nose to the end of the fuselage is 209/ 1". Between the landing gear, it is 36' 1" from side to side. The airplane can carry 47,890 gallons of fuel which weighs approximately 340,000 pounds. Now the most impressive statistic is the maximum gross take-off weight of 766,000 pounds! They will even let you leave the ramp with 2000 pounds in fuel over this amount should you need it. It's hard to imagine just how big an airplane is that weighs that much. :o

post-765-125408970815_thumb.png

post-678-125410715042_thumb.jpg

Didn't your parents teach you not to use your cell phone while driving little missy? Well that should apply to planes too! :lol:

votenoooo.PNG

photo-3.jpg

Didn't your parents teach you not to use your cell phone while driving little missy? Well that should apply to planes too! :lol:

:lol: You definitely have earned The Gold Star Award for that post! What I did do was hand the phone over to my First Officer. So my paws were always on the "wheel" so to speak. :lol:

The mystery pursued for several years now. xD

I showed you a picture of me in my Wonder Woman outfit, in the human form, and also in the hamster form. :lol:

Besides if you saw the real me, you might never post here again.

The photograph just might scare you away. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Received an email today with some good news and some bad news...

my bike is production number 174, out of a possible 525. *applause*

The bad news is that the factory will work the first two weeks of December, then resume in January. My bike won't be born until February. :(

I am sooooooooooo looking forward to having delivery of my new bike.

The bad news is that the factory will work the first two weeks of December, then resume in January. My bike won't be born until February. :(

Ah, for Christmas and other assorted winter holidays I assume. That's exciting to know it's being worked on now though! ^_^

Ah, for Christmas and other assorted winter holidays I assume. That's exciting to know it's being worked on now though! ^_^

Exactly!!! If I hadn't dragged my feet in deciding exactly what colour, options, etc. I wanted, I would have had some of the first numbers. I am kicking my self that I procrastinated for so long. But... I am still one number below the first third cut-off, so I am happy. :)

*is very, very lonely*

well I think Horatio is pretty awesome.

And if you didn't keep this thread alive, we wouldn't have anything to look forward to when coming here. :c

Where is everyone?

Let's all please remember...

HampsterKing will be 102 years old on the 13th of November.

Please mark your calendars to stop by and wish him a great day.

Thank you.

Horatio

oooooh snap.

I once thought my grandma was old. :c

Let's all please remember...

HampsterKing will be 102 years old on the 13th of November.

Please mark your calendars to stop by and wish him a great day.

Thank you.

Horatio

oooooh snap.

I once thought my grandma was old. :c

HampsterKing is not old...

he is ancient!!! :lol:

...did the messages boards not roll back an hour for the end of daylight savings time? Because it's 8:14am, and it says you posted that at 8:47am today. :huh:

Actually I have mine time set on GMT, so it is matches my Zulu time for work. That is six hours ahead of your time.

...did the messages boards not roll back an hour for the end of daylight savings time? Because it's 8:14am, and it says you posted that at 8:47am today. :huh:

Actually I have mine time set on GMT, so it is matches my Zulu time for work. That is six hours ahead of your time.

Yeah, but the boards would still translate your time into my time. o.O

I'm just pressing on, like usual.. Good news is, I should get the night before thanksgiving off, so I'll be able to have some semblance of a normal dinner.. although, I;m not putting it past the manager to pull some "Forget about the posted schedule, I know what I want, even If I entered something completley different into the computer"

I'm just pressing on, like usual.. Good news is, I should get the night before thanksgiving off, so I'll be able to have some semblance of a normal dinner.. although, I;m not putting it past the manager to pull some "Forget about the posted schedule, I know what I want, even If I entered something completley different into the computer"

You can always count on a manager who knows how to mess up your holiday. :lol:

You also have this stupid stuff in the US? I really hate the time change. Studies say that it even fails to achieve its goal (saving energy). Now energy is saved in the morning, but more energy is consumed in the evening. I don't like that it is dark now at 5:30 pm over here. And around Christmas it is even more than half an hour earlier. :angry:

When I come home now it is already dark. And I just broke my bicycle light. I hope the cops will not catch me until I get a new one.

I will say that it's kind of nice having it be daylight when I get up in the morning again, but the purpose of DST was originally so that the farmers would have more working hours in the day time. In all honesty, I think it would make more sense for them to just pick either DST or non-DST and stick with it, since the change is kind of pointless.

You also have this stupid stuff in the US? I really hate the time change. Studies say that it even fails to achieve its goal (saving energy). Now energy is saved in the morning, but more energy is consumed in the evening. I don't like that it is dark now at 5:30 pm over here. And around Christmas it is even more than half an hour earlier. :angry:

When I come home now it is already dark. And I just broke my bicycle light. I hope the cops will not catch me until I get a new one.

I had no idea the police would give you a ticket for a broken bicycle light. Once I received a speeding ticket on my bicycle. That hurt! I was speeding in a school zone. :( Big, big, BIG fine. :(

As for me, I don't like it getting dark early.

I will say that it's kind of nice having it be daylight when I get up in the morning again, but the purpose of DST was originally so that the farmers would have more working hours in the day time. In all honesty, I think it would make more sense for them to just pick either DST or non-DST and stick with it, since the change is kind of pointless.

I didn't know that. For some reason, I thought it was to protect children going to school in the morning. :blush:

In Indiana, there is Daylight Savings Time, Eastern Standard Time and Farm Time. There is actually a zone where the farmer's have their own time.

A speeding ticket on a BIKE??? How fast were you going? Moreover, how were you supposed to know how fast you were going? Also, the farm time zone is a cool idea.

The ticket cost me $150!!!!! I was doing mid-thirties in a 15 or 20, can't remember which. Anyway, it was this freshly paved, smooth, pristine asphalt road, on the longest downhill... a magnificent piece of road and I was picking up speed. Whoa... what a feeling. I guess what really made the officer mad was that I wouldn't stop until I had reached the bottom. :rolleyes: Anyway, I blew through the school zone feeling like I was flying. It was awesome! I still remember that feeling as if it had happened yesterday. Then I heard the siren. Never did I think he was pulling me over. :o He asked for my driver's license and I told him that I didn't have it on me, but gave him all my other identification. If I had given him my driver's license, I am certain he would have tried to put points on it. :lol: And just to let you know... this happened in Connecticut. LOL

A speeding ticket on a BIKE??? How fast were you going? Moreover, how were you supposed to know how fast you were going? Also, the farm time zone is a cool idea.

The ticket cost me $150!!!!! I was doing mid-thirties in a 15 or 20, can't remember which. Anyway, it was this freshly paved, smooth, pristine asphalt road, on the longest downhill... a magnificent piece of road and I was picking up speed. Whoa... what a feeling. I guess what really made the officer mad was that I wouldn't stop until I had reached the bottom. :rolleyes: Anyway, I blew through the school zone feeling like I was flying. It was awesome! I still remember that feeling as if it had happened yesterday. Then I heard the siren. Never did I think he was pulling me over. :o He asked for my driver's license and I told him that I didn't have it on me, but gave him all my other identification. If I had given him my driver's license, I am certain he would have tried to put points on it. :lol: And just to let you know... this happened in Connecticut. LOL

Seriously??? I thought they only did stuff like this in like, Princeton. :rolleyes: Where in CT were you?

but the purpose of DST was originally so that the farmers would have more working hours in the day time.

I didn't know this. But anyway, if it is necessary the farmers also work when it is dark.

The official reason in Germany is that it should save energy.

had no idea the police would give you a ticket for a broken bicycle light. Once I received a speeding ticket on my bicycle.

Two different worlds. :lol:

You can even get a ticket for a broken bicycle light even though it isn't dark when the police stops you. However, you would never get a ticket for speeding on a bike in Germany, just an admonishment. Why? Pretty simple, you don't have a speedometer and can't know how fast you're riding. That's German law. Funny, isn't it? :lol:

$150 is an amazing high fine. A broken bicycle light just costs €10.

Another interesting thing: For different delicts you can get "points in Flensburg" (Flensburg is the city where the authority is located). If you accumulate 18 points, your driving license is withdrawn. Even if you were not driving a car at all. If you have a driving license, you can get these points for example for ignoring red traffic lights as pedestrian or for riding a bike when you're drunk. Is there something similar in the US?

but the purpose of DST was originally so that the farmers would have more working hours in the day time.

I didn't know this. But anyway, if it is necessary the farmers also work when it is dark.

The official reason in Germany is that it should save energy.

had no idea the police would give you a ticket for a broken bicycle light. Once I received a speeding ticket on my bicycle.

Two different worlds. :lol:

You can even get a ticket for a broken bicycle light even though it isn't dark when the police stops you. However, you would never get a ticket for speeding on a bike in Germany, just an admonishment. Why? Pretty simple, you don't have a speedometer and can't know how fast you're riding. That's German law. Funny, isn't it? :lol:

$150 is an amazing high fine. A broken bicycle light just costs €10.

Another interesting thing: For different delicts you can get "points in Flensburg" (Flensburg is the city where the authority is located). If you accumulate 18 points, your driving license is withdrawn. Even if you were not driving a car at all. If you have a driving license, you can get these points for example for ignoring red traffic lights as pedestrian or for riding a bike when you're drunk. Is there something similar in the US?

It sounds to me like your laws make an awful lot more sense than the ones in the US. We have laws about jaywalking (which is basically ignoring pedestrian traffic laws, like not crossing in a crosswalk), and against public intoxication. Most places in the US don't have a lot of bike traffic, and bikes are technically considered with the same laws as cars, so I don't think there are a whole lot of laws regarding them specifically.

Seriously??? I thought they only did stuff like this in like, Princeton. :rolleyes: Where in CT were you?

I was somewhere near Yale. :lol:

It was either West Haven or New Haven, I believe.

My journey took me from Long Island across the Sound by ferry, through Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts to Cape Cod, then back through Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, through the city, across Staten Island, into New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland before heading back to Long Island.